THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    HUNTING IN AFRICA COMING TO AN END ?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNTING IN AFRICA COMING TO AN END ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted
Am I wrong or is the wind out of the sails of hunting in Africa ?
Even AR has very little new or exciting stories.
News is far and few between , mostly silent except for the odd story from Namibia and South Africa.
Guns , hunting , club news , are all but absent from media platforms , all the old hunting friends are not hunting in Africa and even facebook feeds carry very little hunting news.
Some of the die hards are still active but across the board from Mozambique to Tanzania the silence is there.
The anti hunters are winning because their fight is all emotive. Lets hope Trump will blow in a new wind of hope for outdoor sportsman and hope for conservation and wildlife.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
No doubt, the end is in sight. To few of us, to many of them.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A number of PHs I know seem to be quite busy.

Many hunters get cold feet when they post their hunts on Facebook, because they become subjects to redicule.

We love to read hunt reports here, a place specifically set for them.

I know of at least two hunters who did not want to post their hunt reports here, but went ahead and posted them on Facebook, despite my advice against that.

Both removed their hunt reports!!

The funny part was that one actually told me he is posting it on Facebook because he will get more LIKES

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
Am I wrong or is the wind out of the sails of hunting in Africa ?
Even AR has very little new or exciting stories.
News is far and few between , mostly silent except for the odd story from Namibia and South Africa.
Guns , hunting , club news , are all but absent from media platforms , all the old hunting friends are not hunting in Africa and even facebook feeds carry very little hunting news.
Some of the die hards are still active but across the board from Mozambique to Tanzania the silence is there.
The anti hunters are winning because their fight is all emotive. Lets hope Trump will blow in a new wind of hope for outdoor sportsman and hope for conservation and wildlife.

I'm in complete agreement here. In my case, I have so many other interests. I ride and race bicycles, I do a lot of boating and I am still smitten with fishing for exotic and incredible fishes in South America.

No Taxidermy, no trophy fee's no jet-lag. My success or lack thereof is directly dependent upon my particular skill set. No PH to basically haul me around until he points and says "Shoot that one"

NONE of these other activities make me feel as though I am a criminal. I did TZ last year. From soup to nuts, the little extra hoops that I had to jump through compared to just 5-6 years ago, made me feel as though "this just isn't worth it anymore"

Once any activity becomes so complex and regulation filled, it isn't fun and becomes more of a chore filled process, replete with corrupt airport employees, to un-informed, combative and arrogant CBP officers on this side. The bureaucratic red tape and duplication of redundancies make my head spin and I instinctively look back to other mentioned activities I enjoy as much of more.

So, in my case I've backed away due to the added complexity (and costs), no other reasons.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
While public attitudes have definitely steered some folks away from Africa, I think the huge increase in cost has had a much more significant impact.

Plains game is still one of the best deals in hunting. But dangerous game hunts have increased in cost to the point of causing a lot of us to lose interest. Just 10 years ago I hunted Lemco (now BVC) for 14 days and shot a leopard and 28 other animals. The total cost on that trip for everything, including getting my trophies shipped home, was about $35K. It was a fantastic value for what I got. Look at the prices today... If it was my concession, I'd do the same thing. Raise prices until you don't sell out or people stop coming, then adjust them down until you do. Personally, I think it will take a huge price correction to get the number of people over that were heading over a few years back.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the huge increase in cost has had a much more significant impact.

yup!! across the hunting boards. it has gotten to the point that the regular working guy can't save money fast enough to keep up with the prices. The u.s. is no different. a few things hit myi memory. OK so of them were long ago, but some not. Things like quebec caribou - my first one was 700. elk for 1100, dall sheep 3000, good grief my 1st to africa was less than 3500 including air. what i see is that people who used to guide as a hobby are now trying to make a living out of it. Landowners that used to be happy to see you come shoot their prairie dog towns, now are charging large sums for it. I guess it's just a sign of the times, but the cost of hunting has gotten out of hand

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you consider how much of a PITA these things are:
1. Dealing with airlines and the embiciles that work for them
2. Consumer $$$$ ripoff of dip/pack and shipping, clearing in the USA, etc
3. Dishonest/unethical outfitters
4. Escalating taxidermy costs
5. Escalating lease fees/money hungry landowners

It's no wonder hunters are losing interest, and the children of avid hunters are losing interest as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cost above everything else.I think everyone is sobering up and reality is setting in.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
While public attitudes have definitely steered some folks away from Africa, I think the huge increase in cost has had a much more significant impact.

Plains game is still one of the best deals in hunting. But dangerous game hunts have increased in cost to the point of causing a lot of us to lose interest. Just 10 years ago I hunted Lemco (now BVC) for 14 days and shot a leopard and 28 other animals. The total cost on that trip for everything, including getting my trophies shipped home, was about $35K. It was a fantastic value for what I got. Look at the prices today... If it was my concession, I'd do the same thing. Raise prices until you don't sell out or people stop coming, then adjust them down until you do. Personally, I think it will take a huge price correction to get the number of people over that were heading over a few years back.

+1

African dg hunting just ain't worth the price increases. Also after the first safari or after you have shot what you want to shoot there is no great desire to pay jacked up rates, sit in a plane for 20 hrs, deal with traveling with guns, a multitude of jacked up charges - dip and pack, shipping, transfers. Plus there are multiple other activities to spend ones money on.

I thought after the first or second safari that I would hunt Africa as an annual vacation - not anymore. I rather buy more guns, a beach house, a small farm than spend money on hunting Africa. I will hunt Africa again but it will be for plains game and I am not bringing any trophies back.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately all of the above is correct. The astronomical increase in cost, most recently the 18% VAT announced by Tanzania is a back breaker for everyone involved. It certainly pissed off the hunters and has left outfitters in a terrible predicament.
Certainly dealing with additional red tape is frustrating. Again Tanzania recently requires photographs of rifles with serial numbers be sent ahead of time. Figure that one out as to what good a photo will do to improve the process. Rifles still have to be removed from cases and inspected by Customs. The African hunting countries are doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
People don't need more stress in their lives.Spending that money causes stress.I ask myself am I going to Africa to have fun or be stressed out of my brains.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
People don't need more stress in their lives.Spending that money causes stress.I ask myself am I going to Africa to have fun or be stressed out of my brains.

Pigs now officially has wings.

I agree with George. Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The greed and all the other shit that has taken over the industry makes me want to fight back.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am going back in 2017 for what I suspect will be my last safari. I booked and ele bull and tuskless as I suspect it may be closed soon thereafter.

Really sad to watch from the early 2000's to today.

I am switching to boat/fishing guy as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Wow, all this doom and gloom makes me want to stop hunting.....NOT! We'll keep going to Africa as long as it's possible. I suspect the end may be near if hunters keep playing into the anti's hands but I'll do everything I can to support hunting in Africa.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Many of the posters change, the matters being discussed and complained about change, but the underlying themes largely remain the same. Then, despite the doom and gloom, the predictions of the imminent demise of African hunting, the need to explore other venues and hobbies, the clock ticks forward and folks are still hunting in Africa.

The end of African hunting in . . .

. . . 2008 . . . 2009 . . .

Sort of like AR's remake of Bill Murray and Groundhog Day . . . Wink

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

+1

African dg hunting just ain't worth the price increases. Also after the first safari or after you have shot what you want to shoot there is no great desire to pay jacked up rates, sit in a plane for 20 hrs, deal with traveling with guns, a multitude of jacked up charges - dip and pack, shipping, transfers. Plus there are multiple other activities to spend ones money on.

I thought after the first or second safari that I would hunt Africa as an annual vacation - not anymore. I rather buy more guns, a beach house, a small farm than spend money on hunting Africa. I will hunt Africa again but it will be for plains game and I am not bringing any trophies back.

Mike

I agree. I would still like to go on more DG hunts, but the prices have just gotten too high. I am glad I went as often as I did before it got so stupid.
A nice Kudu hunt in one of the wild areas of Namibia is a much better and affordable option.
There are other things to do in Africa besides hunting that can satisfy our addiction such as horse and canoe safaris which can be just as dangerous, but a lot less expensive.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We will hunt till we can't
The " Familiarity breeds contempt " is true even with African hunting
Just like anything else, first few times it's exciting and then we see how we are getting hosed and we don't go anymore and then next generation of excited hunters fills our shoes...Or something like that...
I keep hunting while I bitch on occasion

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Many of the posters change, the matters being discussed and complained about change, but the underlying themes largely remain the same. Then, despite the doom and gloom, the predictions of the imminent demise of African hunting, the need to explore other venues and hobbies, the clock ticks forward and folks are still hunting in Africa.

Mike,
I wont deny there's been a "sky is falling" attitude about this for years. However, if you're intellectually honest with yourself, you simply cannot deny that both the cost and complexity of international sporting travel has increased dramatically.

It, in my specific case, it has reached the "critical mass" stage and just thinking through the process makes me want to rip my face off.

If someone just doesn't have the multitude of other interests I do, and African Hunting is their only recreation in life, I would get it.

I am just as (or more) happy, fishing in Brazil or Suriname as I am tracking Cape Buffalo in Zambia. So based on these feelings, why go the route that offers up the gauntlet of regulations, fees, importations, complicated gun permits, permission from kings to fly my firearms and so forth.

As others have said, it is half the African governments and half our own bureaucracies that have killed the golden goose.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I agree with that 100%. I have been in that situation before. The TZ governments actions in 06 and 07 put me in that exact position. So did the Zim government with the Save situation. If this type of thing kept up, I would have stopped .

No, I don't think the world is coming to an end. Not that there won't be some changes, there will be. These changes will be caused by many factors including the drastically increased costs. The days of the 6 figure safari are gone for me. At age 60, I am not wiling to spend what I might have been willing to spend even 10 years ago. Increased African populations will have some effect on hunting options. The antis will impact us as well, especially if we allow ourselves to get bogged down and never make it to the fight . If we don't police ourselves better, changes we don't want are coming . I read , with great disgust, the canned lion thread. Operators like those are problematic for the industry . Hell, there are operators who are quite favorably viewed here on AR who need to be out of the business based upon things I know they did. Yet they have this sterling image here. Poaching is another massive problem. Just look at Zim. There are so many places that were once a paradise that are now barren wastelands . Who is going to pay to hunt these areas.

I type this on the plane enroute for my 24 th safari. I am not done .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
quote:
quote:

+1

Mike

I agree. I would still like to go on more DG hunts, but the prices have just gotten too high. I am glad I went as often as I did before it got so stupid.
A nice Kudu hunt in one of the wild areas of Namibia is a much better and affordable option.
There are other things to do in Africa besides hunting that can satisfy our addiction such as horse and canoe safaris which can be just as dangerous, but a lot less expensive.

I have been to africa 4 tines

Twice Zim for for DG 2010/2011
Burkina for lion 2014
Botswana for PG 2013

My most enjoyable hunt was botswana - I went to cape, did some shark cage diving, and had a enjoyable relaxed hunt. Kahana had wifi too.

My kind of boring african hunting will be fine. I have zero issues hunting fenced in Botswana as the acreage is massive. In the us I don't hunt high fenced.

I also don't care about taxidermy, trophy size or bring anything back. Going forward I will most likely hunt with camp rifles and not carry any guns. That will allow me to take a break in europe, turkey, dubai or fly before/after safari to asia.

For my preferences african hunting will be just fine.

If I wanted to dg hunt it has sucked. Cost up, the big 4 down to big 2 and headed to buff hunt soon.

And I have observed that when safaris get to $25k plus there is much more emphasis on deliverables - killing the trophy. Not too many people will go on 5-10 hunts at $25k pr more and not shoot something and chalk it up to it is hunting. For me I like hunts where I can say let's take a day off and drive around, go fishing, drink beers by a waterhole - relaxed hunting.

There is way too much unsold quota in prime areas in zim this year - not a sign of a bullish market.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Mike,
I wont deny there's been a "sky is falling" attitude about this for years. However, if you're intellectually honest with yourself, you simply cannot deny that both the cost and complexity of international sporting travel has increased dramatically.

It, in my specific case, it has reached the "critical mass" stage and just thinking through the process makes me want to rip my face off.

If someone just doesn't have the multitude of other interests I do, and African Hunting is there only recreation in life, I would get it.

I am just as (or more) happy, fishing in Brazil or Suriname as I am tracking Cape Buffalo in Zambia. So based on these feelings, why go the route that offers up the gauntlet of regulations, fees, importations, complicated gun permits, permission from kings to fly my firearms and so forth.

As others have said, it is half the African governments and half our own bureaucracies that have killed the golden goose.

Steve

+1

Most of the complaining is by ar members who have spent significant dollars and have been around the african hunting sceen. It's not like the complaining is by someone who walked around dsc and priced a zim buffalo hunt and is asking how is a buff hunt $25k all in.

I read the older threads and the general theme was africa is a better value than north america. Does anyone say a buff hunt in prime areas of zim is a great value today.

There will always be someone who will pay top dollar to hunt - the problem is you are doing up the demand curve with less and less quantity sold. That is not good for conservation if one is looking at hunting as renewable resource.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree it's something you do because you enjoy it, and when it's no longer fun, one should hang it up.

That said, even with all the headaches that the governments involved have placed, and the travel headaches, I still enjoy it enough to continue on.

It is disposable income recreation, and as the price goes up, the number of folks being able to do so goes down.

The only good side to some of the recent government actions is that you will likely drive some of the folks that are in it as a ego item out of it... Less kill at all costs types.

I suspect that even if they ban imports altogether I will still go, but there are lots who won't.

As to the guys who are talking about going fishing instead, don't delude yourselves. Fishing, especially if you go to foreign destinations, is in the same boat (pardon the bad pun) as hunting. While it's cheaper than hunting now, it too will be increasing as the demand increases, face it, fishing is probably going to increase in cost more rapidly than hunting on a percentage basis as time goes on as there is more room before the participants can't afford it now.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the fishing. Heck you can do a decent plains game hunt for the cost of going to a crappy all inclusive in Mexico. We've got another DG hunt planned next year in Tanzania then that will likely be it for DG but we both enjoy plains game hunting so much that I can see that being an every other year hunt for many more trips. Even SA is so diverse that you can't experience it all in a half dozen trips.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I LOVE hunting Africa, when it's too difficult and expensive and I can't justify the effort and cost to do it I, like most others will find alternatives. Before you know it the alternatives will be the main attraction and you know the rest of the story. Still makes me wish I could have gone sooner and more often.

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I agree it's something you do because you enjoy it, and when it's no longer fun, one should hang it up.

That said, even with all the headaches that the governments involved have placed, and the travel headaches, I still enjoy it enough to continue on.

It is disposable income recreation, and as the price goes up, the number of folks being able to do so goes down.

The only good side to some of the recent government actions is that you will likely drive some of the folks that are in it as a ego item out of it... Less kill at all costs types.

I suspect that even if they ban imports altogether I will still go, but there are lots who won't.

As to the guys who are talking about going fishing instead, don't delude yourselves. Fishing, especially if you go to foreign destinations, is in the same boat (pardon the bad pun) as hunting. While it's cheaper than hunting now, it too will be increasing as the demand increases, face it, fishing is probably going to increase in cost more rapidly than hunting on a percentage basis as time goes on as there is more room before the participants can't afford it now.

It would have to over quadruple to get even close to a single buffalo hunt.

My December trip to Brazil is 4600.00. Air is ~2500.00 (first-business).

Beyond that, 5-600.00 in tips and that my friend is it. No taxidermy (unless you do reproductions) no dip and pack, no jet lag either. I can do 3-4 trips a year and come in less than one African safari.

But, as you say, its all about the enjoyment. If you don't enjoy fishing or South America, Africa will always be there. I will always go back to Africa to hunt. BUT... instead of two trips a year, I'll go once every other year (maybe)

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1BigDeer:
As much as I LOVE hunting Africa, when it's too difficult and expensive and I can't justify the effort and cost to do it I, like most others will find alternatives. Before you know it the alternatives will be the main attraction and you know the rest of the story. Still makes me wish I could have gone sooner and more often.

It seems most of us feel similarly. Effort/cost/complexity. I was fortunate enough to have gone and killed just about everything I desire, except Mountain Nyala.

Interestingly enough, I had a Mountain Nyala hunt booked for 2012. That was the year the Ethiopian Game dept TRIPLED the trophy fee's and made them payable up front, regardless your success. I cancelled.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, it sounds like one of your issues with fishing is that it is cheaper and more convenient for you.

I can see that, and who knows, some day maybe I will be doing that myself.

The original topic seemed to be African hunting is ending. I don't think it is, but would agree it has changed over the years and will likely change more as time goes on.

50 years ago, African trips were all general bag safaris with limited taxidermy done.

Now they are generally aimed at one specific main animal with some a la carte secondary targets. Taxidermy is mostly done, although some are the exceptions.

It sounds like the future will be fewer targeted dangerous game animals with less taxidermy done, and probably reproductions becoming more prominent.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have to agree with Mike. I don't think it's over by any means. Future African hunting has looked better but I think we are far from the end. I sent a bunch of complete novices to Africa this year. None of them are wealthy and in fact some are counting every penny. None of them could be more excited nor are they bitching about the cost. It just is what it is. If you really feel the end is near go now because there's nothing like a real safari in the bush. It would be too bad to miss anythign as mind blowing as an African safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
The last time I went to Africa was August 2002 when I took my youngest son to Zimbabwe so he could shoot a Cape buffalo. It was his college graduation present.

Tickets on SAA were $1518 each.

He killed a decent buffalo and a pretty nice sable. And a not-so-great kudu.

I shot a nice bushbuck and a blue wildebeest. Also a genet cat.

The total for everything (excluding taxidermy) was $20,464.

That included airfare, daily rates, trophy fees, MARS insurance, VAT, dip & pack, shipping, and customs clearance & shipping to the U.S taxidermist.

I wonder what that safari would cost today?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa was a rich man's game until after WWII.

It is slowly working its way back to that.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
The last time I went to Africa was August 2002 when I took my youngest son to Zimbabwe so he could shoot a Cape buffalo. It was his college graduation present.

Tickets on SAA were $1518 each.

He killed a decent buffalo and a pretty nice sable. And a not-so-great kudu.

I shot a nice bushbuck and a blue wildebeest. Also a genet cat.

The total for everything (excluding taxidermy) was $20,464.

That included airfare, daily rates, trophy fees, MARS insurance, VAT, dip & pack, shipping, and customs clearance & shipping to the U.S taxidermist.

I wonder what that safari would cost today?

Likely not a lot more if you calculate the value of the dollar then and now. $20,464 in 2002 would be worth about $33,000 in 2016 dollars. It's all relative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Steve, it sounds like one of your issues with fishing is that it is cheaper and more convenient for you.

I can see that, and who knows, some day maybe I will be doing that myself.

The original topic seemed to be African hunting is ending. I don't think it is, but would agree it has changed over the years and will likely change more as time goes on.

50 years ago, African trips were all general bag safaris with limited taxidermy done.

Now they are generally aimed at one specific main animal with some a la carte secondary targets. Taxidermy is mostly done, although some are the exceptions.

It sounds like the future will be fewer targeted dangerous game animals with less taxidermy done, and probably reproductions becoming more prominent.

I think you're right to a point. My particular feelings are that, if you equally enjoy both, why choose the one that make it prohibitively difficult and exponentially more expensive?

It makes no sense. And I do enjoy them at least equally. If you don't get the same response as I do, maybe fishing isn't your game.

I remember the first time I saw a marlin or a big sail in the gear behind a boat. The rush of adrenaline was no different than being close to Buffalo.

The human desire to pursue game, whether it be fish or otherwise, elicits a primal response. That is why I am an un-apologetic and well rounded outdoorsman.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Africa is a big place.

Emotions won't foot the bill for wildlife forever.

Not giving up on it yet.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Likely not a lot more if you calculate the value of the dollar then and now. $20,464 in 2002 would be worth about $33,000 in 2016 dollars. It's all relative.

Might also depend on who your relatives are-- Wink

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

Using US cpi calculator I am getting $26-$27k as 2015/2016 equivalent. The price inflation in dg hunting has been pretty high in an over all low inflation world.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

Using US cpi calculator I am getting $26-$27k as 2015/2016 equivalent. The price inflation in dg hunting has been pretty high in an over all low inflation world.

Mike

The calculator I used came up with 32,900....either way, you can't look at what something cost 14 years ago without calculating it at today's dollar value. Even at a modest 3% rate of interest, my $20k investment in 2002 would be over $30K today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I want Africa to be there for my turn. I do not mind the traveling and travel issues (my wife does). Do not get me wrong, I would prefer not to put up with Airline nonsense, but to me it is worth it. We did France and Austria last year. My first international hunt. I used the trip as a primer for going to Africa. The hunting experience with my rifle made it all worth it.
Each to his own. Maybe if I had been there, done that, I would think differently. However, I have not, so I plan and scheme.

I will say this, Mozombique is getting trigger happy, Zimbabwae politicos keep turning my stomache, and Tanzinia wants the benefits of hunting while trying to kill it off through robber taxes makes one think hard about it. However, I am a hunter and the great game (not all) exist in Africa. The history and evolution of hunting and mankind is there. So, I desire to be a part of it; even if I am a forgotten unimportant part, it would still be my part.

I have no problem with our fish and boat brothers. My brother is one. It is a fine hobby. I do a little myself. However, I am a hunter. I do not think I am the only young person with this out look. I was raised not to give a damnation about what, lack of a better term, millenial sissies will say on social media.

I believe in fair chase, respectful, and conservation minded sport hunting, and that the non-participating mass, not the anti hunting lobby, will allow for this practice. It is upon us to walk the walk. And meet lies with honest truth. Ultimately, Botswana and Kenya are not the norm. We have great hunting conservation success stories in the 48, Alaska, Europe, and Mid East, and even in sport hunted contries in Africa. That tells me our model has the ability to be persuasive and is accurate.

Sadly, I am of the opinion that internal issues that overwhelmed the hunting conservation model with not protecting the elephant in Zimb and TZ made them easy targets for our present administration. I do not think these countries can be fixed, but we do the best we can for as long as we can. So, I am willing, happily waiting my turn with the comfort of knowing that (no matter who you believe) everyone agrees the world will not last forever.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend and I went on these Safaris
Zim PG in 2012
SA PG in 2013
SA PG and Buff in 2014

We shot about 16 animals a piece (mostly archery) and brought almost all of them home.
We considered going back for croc, leopard and hippo. The all in cost was staring at $50,000 a piece. Can we find that much money to go on the hunt, yes.
But we looked each other in the eye and said "that's really not a good use of our money"
We may go back some day, but the desire is waning.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
This discussion got me thinking. Hunting in general will continue to feel the bite of those who wish to wrap the world in cotton wool and create a world where everything we do is scrutinised to see that it does not offend anyone.

It will be only when we get individuals and corporates to stand up and be counted and defend their rights that we may see change.

Will we ever see iconic packaging such as this again? If not then we are doomed. Eventually ammunition packaging will probably follow that of tobacco in many countries, Plain brown packets with no images Frowner

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote