Notify
Tools

Dagga Boy bulls vs. Herd Bulls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

This picture has been my computer wallpaper for about two years. I'm going on my first Buff hunt in 5 months!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
These articles are worth a read:

The Influence of Trophy Measurement in Cape Buffalo
By Winston Taylor, Environmental Biology, Oxford Brookes University
page 7

Cape Buffalo: Is the SCI Trophy Scoring System Wrong?
By Dr. Kevin Robertson, South Africa
page 10

http://www.africanindaba.co.za...icanIndabaVol5-3.pdf

A well written essay in that link and 100% correct.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
These articles are worth a read:

The Influence of Trophy Measurement in Cape Buffalo
By Winston Taylor, Environmental Biology, Oxford Brookes University
page 7

[/url]

Had the good pleasure of meeting Winston Taylor last season up in northern Mozambique. If I remember correctly his folks were known ecologists in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
From the CIC site re Rowland Wards proposed changes...to their records re big game. Good reading.

"The purpose behind Clause 1 is self evident. The purpose behind Clause 2 is to encourage the shooting of old, hard bossed buffalo bulls and other bovine species where, as they become older, the horns are usually worn down and become shorter, the sweep or curl of the horns drop, the tip to tip measurement becomes wider and the bosses become hard and wider. In this regard, consideration has also been given to include the tip to tip measurement in the composite measurement but, at this stage, for the sake of simplicity, it has not been included. Most of the above applies to the antelope species except, of course, they do not have bosses and the tip to tip measurement is not indicative of age. Consideration has also been given to increasing the value of the boss or circumference of the longest horn, as the case may be, by multiplying this measurement by three instead of two but it was felt that this was excessive.

"Clause 3 has been included so that people examining Rowland Ward’s Records of Big Game will, by comparing the horn length with the composite measurement, be able to determine whether the animal was younger or older. It is hoped that this will continue a century’s old tradition, established by the already high minimum lengths, of encouraging hunters to select older animals. "

Doesn't that last line ring those big deep bells!

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
My two cents. There is no comparison in terms of tracking a small group of old dagga boys versus a large herd. I would choose an old dagga boy over a herd bull. It is a personal choice.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
To each his own!

I prefer to "hunt" old solitary bulls, or whatever you might want to call them.

Not being a "bigger is better" kinda hunter I really like the effort put forth in spotting these olod bush warriors and then the challenge of getting up REAL close for the kill.

Horn size is secondary to me. It's all about the hunt!

I have shot into herds in the past, but the majority of my bulls have been solitary animals.

Doubt I'll ever shoot into a herd again - I just don't like all of the commotion and the aspect of terrifying an entire grouping of animals.

That's just my opinion and as stated previously - to each his / her own!

JW

In my mind you are a true hunter and not a collector as some others seems to be.

In my mind a trophy should be a nice memory of a great and maby an exiting hunt (or any hunt).

Therefore i allso like jetdrvr words: -"Shot this ugly old critter after the most exciting stalk of my life"-.

I guess that trophy will give him some great memories for the rest of his life..

I would hunt with both of you anytime!

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with the Dagga Boy. It is certainly a thrill to follow a big herd of buffalo, but hard to pick the right trophy out of a few hundred animals. I prefer stalking the solitary bulls.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul Fouche
posted Hide Post
As a Learner Hunter, doing my apprenticeship, in Zimbabwe a large part of my job is to control the skinning shed and the process of all the trophies. It is disheartening to see so many immature bulls being hunted, due to the score that they achieve on the sci or rowland ward scheme. As such i do appreciate Mr Boddington's efforts to change the mindset that has evolved.

The bulls that remain in the herd are usually at their peak but are there for breeding purposes as the herd is controlled by a core group of females.. This is not to say that the old daga boys are past their prime for thay still join the herd as it passes through their territory and as such take the opportunity to mate. Both the herd bull and the daga boys perform the neccessary process of passing on their genes and as such both play an impotant part in the continuation of the herd.

As a Ph it is our responsibilty to guide the client to the best possible outcome. I have seen an old german gentleman pass up on big scoring bull for an older smaller size trophy on the basis that it was the older of the two. I've experienced the other end of the scale where the client didn't care how old or mature the bull was but only concerned that it would be elligible for the "book".

It would be of interest to you that as "appies" our favourite trophy is an old "scrum cap" daga boy. Meaning only the bosses are left with alittle of the downward sweep. These trophies seem to have more character and stories to tell, with missing tails and covered in scars.

In conclusion each one uf us has different perceptions of what the best trophy is. It seems to me that it is a personal choice and as such the hunt should work in accordance so that both the client and the Ph both happy at the outcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ay that we all need to find out for ourselves as long as they are mature bulls. We owe ourselves at least one of each!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
JJS, tell us about you Masailand hunt. I'm going there in Jan 2013. What do I need to know? Regards, AIU

AIU,

We hunted with Adam Clement's Safari Trackers Dec. 1-10 (Lobo) and had a great time. It is my understanding that Samaras' area is right next door.

The rains had not pushed Buffalo out of the Park when we were there so we transfered to Lobo. The area was both open and thick bush...we tracked Buffalo and did some spot and stalking. Buffalo in that area are by far the largest I have had experience with, in both body and horn....just plain BIG!

As far as what you need to know...check with Samaras....bring some rain gear. I would expect that you will have the opportunity of taking large bodied mature buffalo over 40"+...

You know that Tanzania has extended the season Jan-March...You may want to check out what the conditions are like and results during that period.....You have some time to refine your plans. If you have time plan on a visit to the Crater, Kilimangaro, lots to see!

Best of luck!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Fouche:
As a Learner Hunter, doing my apprenticeship, in Zimbabwe a large part of my job is to control the skinning shed and the process of all the trophies. It is disheartening to see so many immature bulls being hunted, due to the score that they achieve on the sci or rowland ward scheme. As such i do appreciate Mr Boddington's efforts to change the mindset that has evolved.

The bulls that remain in the herd are usually at their peak but are there for breeding purposes as the herd is controlled by a core group of females.. This is not to say that the old daga boys are past their prime for thay still join the herd as it passes through their territory and as such take the opportunity to mate. Both the herd bull and the daga boys perform the neccessary process of passing on their genes and as such both play an impotant part in the continuation of the herd.

As a Ph it is our responsibilty to guide the client to the best possible outcome. I have seen an old german gentleman pass up on big scoring bull for an older smaller size trophy on the basis that it was the older of the two. I've experienced the other end of the scale where the client didn't care how old or mature the bull was but only concerned that it would be elligible for the "book".

It would be of interest to you that as "appies" our favourite trophy is an old "scrum cap" daga boy. Meaning only the bosses are left with alittle of the downward sweep. These trophies seem to have more character and stories to tell, with missing tails and covered in scars.

In conclusion each one uf us has different perceptions of what the best trophy is. It seems to me that it is a personal choice and as such the hunt should work in accordance so that both the client and the Ph both happy at the outcome.

Paul,

You are astute and look forward to hearing more from you. Good luck on your intended career.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JJs for the info, I appreciate it. Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
JJS, tell us about you Masailand hunt. I'm going there in Jan 2013. What do I need to know? Regards, AIU

AIU,

We hunted with Adam Clement's Safari Trackers Dec. 1-10 (Lobo) and had a great time. It is my understanding that Samaras' area is right next door.

The rains had not pushed Buffalo out of the Park when we were there so we transfered to Lobo. The area was both open and thick bush...we tracked Buffalo and did some spot and stalking. Buffalo in that area are by far the largest I have had experience with, in both body and horn....just plain BIG!

As far as what you need to know...check with Samaras....bring some rain gear. I would expect that you will have the opportunity of taking large bodied mature buffalo over 40"+...

You know that Tanzania has extended the season Jan-March...You may want to check out what the conditions are like and results during that period.....You have some time to refine your plans. If you have time plan on a visit to the Crater, Kilimangaro, lots to see!

Best of luck!

The onset of the short rains is what sparks off the start of the migration of wildebeest/zebra and buffalo and their main predators - in late September some unexpected heavy showers fell in the area triggering a false alarm which saw a brief movement in the buffer zone.

The "short rains" (Vuli) are normally scheduled to begin in late November early December with January being the wettest and the migration in full swing.
The extension of the hunting period to include Jan/Feb/March offers the best possible hunting
as the migration will be in full swing and game is everywhere.

The "long rains" (Masika) are expected between March and May, are much heavier and more prolonged than the short rains.
Hunting Masailand in July, August to mid September are also prime months which witness the migration heading back north.

Hunting any of the 3 areas during the migration is an unforgettable experience.