New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opportunity for All
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the last year, Safari Classics has produced a number of short films for the Dallas Safari Club and DSC Foundation Social Media.Our objective is to highlight the Conservation Through Hunting message. This film highlights multiple benefits enjoyed by people who live in rural Africa and benefit from a healthy safari industry in their area. Here is the YouTube link.

Opportunity for All

Remember, the act of Sharing is the motor that will run this message. Please share with your friends.

Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Over the last year, Safari Classics has produced a number of short films for the Dallas Safari Club and DSC Foundation Social Media.Our objective is to highlight the Conservation Through Hunting message. This film highlights multiple benefits enjoyed by people who live in rural Africa and benefit from a healthy safari industry in their area. Here is the YouTube link.

Opportunity for All

Remember, the act of Sharing is the motor that will run this message. Please share with your friends.

Dave

EXCELLENT DAVE!!!

I am passing on to all of my non-hunting friends.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sorry mate that is is a poor show. The narration is terrible and we are to portray Africans surviving on meagre handouts mostly from the back of a car. It reeks of Colonialism and the message is weak.

I for one will not be sharing that with anyone.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, perhaps you would rather highlight the poaching,and blatant inability of the rural Africa to better his own reality left to his own devices. Sounds like a damn good plan. Just wow...
Or maybe things are going a hell of a lot better in your neck of the woods than the rest of Africa.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The message is a good one, I think.

But I gotta agree with Andrew, the narration was awful.

The handouts in remote areas do happen, that's a fact, they are also given without reserve and are appreciated by the recipients.

I don't see the connection to colonialism, but I certainly see the lack of economic opportunity.

Hunting provides a serious machine for much needed economic opportunity in these wilderness areas.

I like the emphasis.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fairgame, perhaps you would rather highlight the poaching,and blatant inability of the rural Africa to better his own reality left to his own devices. Sounds like a damn good plan. Just wow...
Or maybe things are going a hell of a lot better in your neck of the woods than the rest of Africa.

And just what would be wrong with highlighting the poaching epidemic? Or the day to day struggles of outlying communities attached to safari hunting? If we are to prove that safari hunting addresses those concerns adequately and is providing ample communal benefits in return for land user rights then this film does not get that message across.

For me it is a composition of scraps from your editing floor and the portrayal of clients handing out sweets and stuff is not really what it is about is it?

Thing is you have produced good material in the past so I found this disappointing to say the least.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The message is good but I agree that the narrator good have been better. We need as much of this type of good message as we can get. Good move to post it on YouTube where it can be seen by the general public. It does no good to keep preaching to the choir on here.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Considering the videos brevity I thought the message was very clear. I didn't especially like the narrator but that's my opinion.

Good job!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, I tried the narrator, a free lance guy, once just for a different feel. Great guy, BIG voice, but I agree a bit overpowering and competed with the message a tad. Trial and error boys, Trial and error...

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Didn’t like it. The narrator sounded like they were in witness protection. Also thought the message was paternalistic Didn’t see much cooperation with locals or authorities, just “they can learn,” inferring ignorance.

I agree with Andrew’s comments above 100%.

Maybe try a cooperative piece with locals honestly sharing their stories. Don’t tell the story for them, let them tell it - and without faking/scripting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just FYI, I tried the narrator, a free lance guy, once just for a different feel. Great guy, BIG voice, but I agree a bit overpowering and competed with the message a tad. Trial and error boys, Trial and error...

tu2

Keep up the good work!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I think this is an excellent introductory video. Short and clean, covering an important point.

This is the basic point of view that I drag out when talking to the poorly informed. I will use it!

Brian Gallup

PS. The narrators voice not so good.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, please understand that this was not our "Gone With The Wind', but instead one of many, many short topical projects aimed to spread the truth of the "Conservation Through Hunting' message. We are indeed, in conjunction with Dallas Safari Club, working on longer format films that allow for more thorough discussion of African\Hunting topics.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual David, great job! The narrator was fine, we've got movie critics on AR now, never ceases to amaze. Bring a conservation message to a national audience, and get criticized for your
efforts. You've got my support.

Butch

Posts: 563 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbogobutch:
As usual David, great job! The narrator was fine, we've got movie critics on AR now, never ceases to amaze. Bring a conservation message to a national audience, and get criticized for your

Butch

If that was even slightly aimed st me understand this: if you think honest opinions from like-minded people are too rough, you aren’t ready for a national audience.

I’ve spent a hell of a lot of time living amongst people who need to hear this message, and I can tell you that this specific video missed the mark.

Diamonds are made by heat and pressure, without both they are nothing but coal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the narration was good because it was different. You can nitpick it, but at least Dave is doing something.

I do think we should use the term eco-colonialism though - anti's are trying to eco-colonize a land in which they have no economic stake. But that is a different movie.

I will let you know what my friends say.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbogobutch:
As usual David, great job! The narrator was fine, we've got movie critics on AR now, never ceases to amaze. Bring a conservation message to a national audience, and get critized for your

Butch

Butch I must admit I was a critic but found the message weak. The opportunity is to send out a very powerful message of which this flick lacks. Thing is Butch I have spent a most of my life on the boundary of hunting and communities so I can speak for Africa. We need to remove ourselves from a pedestal and would do well to promote those communal landlords who are far more important to conservation than ourselves.

Mr. Fulton quotes - 'inability of the rural Africa to better his own reality left to his own devices'

That statement alone will never cease to amaze me.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Local Africans can make a difference with proper support.

There are African PHs now.

There are many African game wardens. vets etc who are credible and competent.

There are African teachers, doctors, nurses etc.

I would like to see the perspective of some credible African locals.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I thought the narration was good because it was different. You can nitpick it, but at least Dave is doing something.

I do think we should use the term eco-colonialism though - anti's are trying to eco-colonize a land in which they have no economic stake. But that is a different movie.

JTEX,

I get your drift but considering the might and resources of DSC and thats the best we can produce?

Let me show that to my Government and I would dread what they say?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps to find the right narrator it might be best to seek someone who hunts Africa and who is not hired by any organization.Someone who has a good understanding of conservation and someone who gets along with all types(a kind hearted character).The narrator should not come across as offensive.The narrator in this video comes across as a hired robot.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Perhaps to find the right narrator it might be best to seek someone who hunts Africa and who is not hired by any organization.Someone who has a good,understanding of conservation and someone who gets along with all types(a kind hearted character).The narrator should not come across as offensive.The narrator in this video comes across as a hired robot.

Absolutely like one of the Trump boys?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

JTEX,

I get your drift but considering the might and resources of DSC and thats the best we can produce?

Let me show that to my Government and I would dread what they say?

I will certainly have to defer to your judgement on that aspect Sir. I can agree with your assessment of what your government's perception would be.

Aimed at an American or European audience, as a "part" of the big picture........I think it's effective......

My opinion on the narrator was meant as constructive criticism from one of the faithful, that's all.

I appreciate anything and everything Mr. Fulton and DSC does for us.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Has DSC or any of these organizations asked the non hunting American public their view of Africa, Africans and their wildlife? We all know what is yelled about in news and media. Is that all Joe the plumber and Jane the school teacher know? Do they even care about Africans? Oh sure they swoon for the iconic animals who’ve been named and humanized. Or better yet had edited footage of several different groups condensed into a plot for an animal docu-drama, that “represents what could happen”. I think they don’t have a clue about rural Africans. How do I know? They don’t have a clue about rural Americans. And I’m not sure how much they care about either.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Has DSC or any of these organizations asked the non hunting American public their view of Africa, Africans and their wildlife? We all know what is yelled about in news and media. Is that all Joe the plumber and Jane the school teacher know? Do they even care about Africans? Oh sure they swoon for the iconic animals who’ve been named and humanized. Or better yet had edited footage of several different groups condensed into a plot for an animal docu-drama, that “represents what could happen”. I think they don’t have a clue about rural Africans. How do I know? They don’t have a clue about rural Americans. And I’m not sure how much they care about either.

Last two points are spot-on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree about the voice. It is annoying and distracting at best.

Forget whether the message is good or bad for a moment. It has 159 views since posted. Granted, it has only been a couple of days. I am willing to bet that most of those are hunters. If so, what good is this doing?

The question is how do we get good material out there to an audience where it does make a difference? Preaching to the choir is an exercise in futility.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Forget whether the message is good or bad for a moment. It has 159 views since posted. Granted, it has only been a couple of days. I am willing to bet that most of those are hunters. If so, what good is this doing?

The question is how do we get good material out there to an audience where it does make a difference? Preaching to the choir is an exercise in futility.

Exactly! Someone is gonna have to spend some money to get this into the mainstream.

That's why we support DSC and SCI with our hard earned money.

I have said it before and I still believe it. Spending money in africa, at this moment, is not the best use of funds for conserving wildlife in Africa!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. Which is why the narrative HAS to be about Africa, its people, its land, and its wildlife - NOT hunter-centric. You have to complicate the issue, not simplify it, for it to resonate with a wide audience. I wish I had the capital to make it happen.

There will be a documentary coming maybe next year about African conservation that is based on JA Hunters grandson Alexander. It starts with the early days of safari (the 1937 Sykes safari) and centers on the effects of human activity on Africa and its wildlife. It will probably be good, but won’t do any favors for hunters, although I can’t say for sure Of course because it’s not filmed yet. My guess is it will have a similar feel to the Edward VIII the Lion King film.

It can be done, it takes money, willpower, creativity, and thinking beyond ones personal interests to really make a difference.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Sorry mate that is is a poor show. The narration is terrible and we are to portray Africans surviving on meagre handouts mostly from the back of a car. It reeks of Colonialism and the message is weak.

I for one will not be sharing that with anyone.

+1,I don't think I would have hunted Africa had I seen this years ago,what a boring shallow piece thumbdown

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same question of DSC that I have had of SCI for over two decades - Where Are The Facts?

I see the same mantra used over and over and over from SCI, DSC, outfitters, PHs, and clients - "We provide jobs", "We provide food", "We protect wildlife", "We invest in the local community".

Prove it. Show us the numbers. How much does SCI and DSC invest in Africa? What is the result of that investment? And likewise for outfitters and PHs, where are the numbers and facts?

Stop talking in generalities and start printing facts and figures. Or is the truth of the matter these organizations only exist to support the organization?

If you really want to wage a PR campaign and start winning, stop the vacuous self-promoting and start printing all your success stories with facts and figures.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Message was good, narration was aweful IMO.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I have the same question of DSC that I have had of SCI for over two decades - Where Are The Facts?

I see the same crap over and over and over from SCI, DSC, outfitters, PHs, and clients - "We provide jobs", "We provide food", "We protect wildlife", "We invest in the local community".

Prove it. Show us the numbers. How much does SCI and DSC invest in Africa? What is the result of that investment? And likewise for outfitters and PHs, where are the numbers and facts?

Stop talking in generalities and start printing facts and figures. Or is the truth of the matter these organizations only exist to support the organization?

If you really want to wage a PR campaign and start winning, stop the vacuous self-promoting and start printing all your success stories with facts and figures.

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was very good. Can't hold a candle to the previous video, A Growing Dilemma.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

That starts with each and every one of us . . . I would venture to say that for every ten hunters that watch a clip like that or read a good article on hunting as a conservation tool that only one or two will take the time to share the material on social media, email to friends, mention in conversations at work, etc. It is the age old problem that ten percent of the people do ninety percent of the work . . . and the ninety percent doing nothing spend a good portion of their time complaining about how the ten percent are doing it. Hunters are largely an inert group. Unless and until hunters take personal responsibility for proselytizing the message, the message is going to languish.

Mike

Posts: 21656 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

That starts with each and every one of us . . . I would venture to say that for every ten hunters that watch a clip like that or read a good article on hunting as a conservation tool that only one or two will take the time to share the material on social media, email to friends, mention in conversations at work, etc. It is the age old problem that ten percent of the people do ninety percent of the work . . . and the ninety percent doing nothing spend a good portion of their time complaining about how the ten percent are doing it. Hunters are largely an inert group. Unless and until hunters take personal responsibility for proselytizing the message, the message is going to languish.

This is predicated on the fact one must have a message to proselytize. .0001% of hunters have the means (financial/technical/etc.) to make something worthy of general release, but that doesn’t mean those who do not make no positive contribution to the cause. We are talking macro and micro-effect. We are languishing on our macro effect for the inability to create something worthy of the audience it needs to engage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is predicated on the fact one must have a message to proselytize. .0001% of hunters have the means (financial/technical/etc.) to make something worthy of general release, but that doesn’t mean those who do not make no positive contribution to the cause. We are talking macro and micro-effect. We are languishing on our macro effect for the inability to create something worthy of the audience it needs to engage.

You are both correct!

Dave Fulson is working on things for us to get out.

And many of us are working to get it out.

But we do need the big money players to get more proactive.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sort of brings to mind another phrase, don't let the perfect get in the way of the good. Should we always be looking to ensure that the message communicates in the most effective manner possible, sure. But that does not mean that we sit on our hands waiting for that perfect message . . . and the reality is that there will never be a perfect message, someone is always going to have their view on what could make the message better. Besides, in my opinion, the most effective way to reach those on the fence about hunting is through personal interaction, hearing the message from a friend, a relative, a co-worker, a business associate.

Please do not misconstrue my comments, I am all in favor of having carefully selected focus groups put together, testing messages and mediums with those groups, taking the feedback learned and using it to package the most effective messages possible to reach the target audience of non-hunters. What I am saying is that you cannot depend on SCI, DSC or anyone else to spread the message, that depends on each of us. And the longer we sit around waiting for the perfect message the deeper the hole gets that we have to climb out of.

Here is a clip that was posted on You Tube awhile back. It was shared on AR. Many found the message and delivery off putting. That said, look at the views on the clip, over 4 million views. We are going to have to get better at tailoring the message to the audience, that is certainly part of the puzzle . . . but the other part of the puzzle is each of us doing a better job of sharing the messages without letting the perfect get in the way of the good.

Mike

Posts: 21656 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
HurruMPH!

Posts: 3509 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think that video worked because it had a huge platform already. Not a bad thing to have when it comes to spreading a message.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can sit through and watch the whole video then that is good.If I can watch it and feel excited then that is better.If I can watch it and feel inspired that is best.
I watched "Why Trophy Hunting Is Good For Animals" a second time.
I turned "Opurtunity For All"off about a quarter of the way through.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To those who obviously did NOT read my explanation about the voice guy. He is just ONE of MANY voice guys I use on productions each year. And I agree his was not the best voice for this specific message. Shootaway, he did not write the script, I Did. My own African credentials cover 9 African Countries hunted, 11 filmed in extensively, 30 years doing both, partnering in a major safari firm, producing 12 individual safari themed full length films including all the Boddington and Carter stuff, and producing Tracks Across Africa and Hornadys Dark And Dangerous TV shows for the last decade. Certainly there are those who live in Africa who have more boots on the ground days under their belt, and hunting experience, but I do feel "somewhat familiar' with the landscape, people, and political issues both here and there to have my opinions. Many, many, many of which end up as short videos, films, meme's and articles about Africa.Hopefully some of which you might be actually able to suffer through can be found on the DSC and DSC Foundations websites, and Facebook pages. I regret that this, one of dozens of pro hunting, pro safari themed short videos was not to the liking of so many on AR.To those who got it, and appreciated our efforts to promote our passion, a heartfelt Thank You. I understand when you put a product out for the public, you will receive various feedback. All fair there. But I could have posted on a PETA site and received less road rash than here...

Dave Fulson