New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opportunity for All
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up to 205 views. Good or bad,it is not being seen.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there have been over 1000 views on AR, but this particular video ran on multiple platforms, as most of ours do, thanks to industry friends who post our safari specific content. I just simply posted it on AR as I thought some here would agree with, and share the message with friends. I certainly did not produce this branded as an AR Original. AR is preaching to the choir, I get that, but we hoped that some members SHARE with their non hunting friends, who are always our primary target. We should know the issues, THEY do not.I regret posting here it to tell the truth. Quite a nut kicking.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sort of brings to mind another phrase, don't let the perfect get in the way of the good. Should we always be looking to ensure that the message communicates in the most effective manner possible, sure. But that does not mean that we sit on our hands waiting for that perfect message . . . and the reality is that there will never be a perfect message, someone is always going to have their view on what could make the message better.

Very well stated.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR is preaching to the choir, I get that, but we hoped that some members SHARE with their non hunting friends, who are always our primary target

I can assure you that that has happened, some of us "choir" members are always looking for more positive information to share.

My criticism was intended to be constructive and it was done among the "choir", as I have said multiple times.

Keep up the good work.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I appreciate that you are producing these videos. Visually very strong with a good message. I think that good cinematography is important to draw/keep attention of the viewer.

I've always been impressed with the DVDs you produce. Thanks for giving us something we can share with non-hunters and non-African hunters.

Posts: 446 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
My criticism was intended to be constructive and it was done among the "choir", as I have said multiple times.

As terse as mine may seem, mine are as well. Look, I spend a lot of time making public-facing assets (even online training, like the CB stuff!), and the last thing I want to hear from my inside folks is, "That's great!" There is always room for improvement, and sugar-coating stuff simply wastes time and effort.

I've always thought of AR as a sandbox where many smart people with an ass-load of experience and knowledge (OK, opinions)get together and hash stuff out. AR shouldn't be the target for a pro-hunting ad campaign for obvious reasons, but how it's received by the people here I think is a good indicator of whether the message represents how they themselves want to be represented. As I said, very few people have the resources to make these kinds of videos, so given that the rest of us are represented by the videos (to the public) tangentially, I can understand why people want to make sure the video is on target and represents how they want to be represented. If guys on your own side can anticipate how the larger, intended audience will receive the video, well, that's gold in my book.

Like it or not, these are high-stake issues, and the message must match the severity of the issue.

And I do appreciate the effort - sincerely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is good !
Anything is better than northing.
Good on you Dave for doing this.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It's easy to be critical... it is tough to put out multiple short films showing how hunting helps conservation, employs rural Africans and protects dwindling wildlife habitat. Thanks to Safari Classics and DSC for putting the message out there at their expense. Shocks me that people who benefit from the message but don't help shoulder the cost, complain...

Sure, there are a few things that might make this better but don't let it obfuscate the message. I will share it on Facebook.

Thanks for being in the fight for hearts and minds Dave and crew!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ignore the content. Assume it is the best ever.

I just checked You Tube. It has a whopping 240 views. Good or bad, this is not getting any meaningful number of viewers even if we assume that all of the viewers are the target audience.

Therein lies the problem. Our efforts are not reaching enough people.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And unfortunately the solution to the problem does not hinge on any one issue. The solution will involve:

* Defining who the target audience(s) is
* Defining how the target audience(s) wants to hear the message
* Defining what messages resonate with the target audience(s)
* Defining how to reach the target audience(s) based on how they want to hear the message
* Packaging the message in way consistent with the foregoing
* Engaging people to propagate the message

Right now I am not even sure we know who the target audience(s) is other than the broadly stated group of "non-hunters". In my view that is too ubiquitous and general a group to be successful. We need to understand who the people are that are receptive to conservation messages, who are the people that once on boarded with a conservation message will take that message and spread it, what is their age and other other demographics, etc. Until we know who we targeting and how best to target them, we are sort of shooting in the dark.

Mike

Posts: 21656 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
And unfortunately the solution to the problem does not hinge on any one issue. The solution will involve:

* Defining how to reach the target audience(s) based on how they want to hear the message

Right now I am not even sure we know who the target audience(s) is other than the broadly stated group of "non-hunters". In my view that is too ubiquitous and general a group to be successful. We need to understand who the people are that are receptive to conservation messages, who are the people that once on boarded with a conservation message will take that message and spread it, what is their age and other other demographics, etc. Until we know who we targeting and how best to target them, we are sort of shooting in the dark.

100%

A play from HSUS own playbook. There is a reason the crusty-eyed kitty commercials come in spades at the holiday season.

Mike's directions above are the only recipe to success.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Yup. I would add that you have to determine what you want your audience to do first - then work backward. That narrows the message to those who will be affected by the message AND do your political end, and not try to engage those either already on your side (preaching to the choir), or will NEVER be on your side. You have to know who is ideologically malleable, and how.

I would recommend reading the works of Jonathan Haidt to better understand why people think what they do, and how they filter a message to determine its validity. What is important to conservatives is not as important to liberals, and vice-versa. If you (anyone in the message-making business) do not spend time learning how others think and what motivates their decisions, you are wasting your time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have to agree about the voice. It is annoying and distracting at best.

Forget whether the message is good or bad for a moment. It has 159 views since posted. Granted, it has only been a couple of days. I am willing to bet that most of those are hunters. If so, what good is this doing?

The question is how do we get good material out there to an audience where it does make a difference? Preaching to the choir is an exercise in futility.

Larry, You Tube is a platform we have never targeted as our primary platform, it is just one of MANY ways to move a message. We have focused our messages on facebook and instagram. We put these on youtube only a few weeks back to give non-facebook users a way to watch and share these videos. Here are some stats for the same video on facebook.

Here's some stats of other videos that we have posted recently. Keep in mind these are all being shared through an organization with roughly 6500 members.

We are obviously getting past "that" choir.If I had a budget like Anheuser- Busch I would be able to produce Super Bowl ready stuff, but that is not our reality.If perhaps, AR members would like to start a fund allowing for us to produce the style of market appeal content, and a budget to purchase national media marketing buys so we can control our message, target a nationwide audience, and flood them with our message, man lets pass the plate right here, and right now! We will brand it as an AR Exclusive Presentation. I am dead serious boys, and standing by to help build whatever our combined AR Sponsored budget allows, and SCP will produce it for a dime on the dollar compared to any other production company.Lets get started. I'm excited to hear some numbers and marketing ideas that will now let us present effective content to the masses.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What does google/youtube analytics say about your traffic referrals?

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Here's someone else version:

https://youtu.be/Y7gS89LtJg0

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
“The 10 most evil animal hunters”. 900,000 views

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cw3FCQOe60

Oh, and don’t forget YouTube’s/google’s/facebook/twitter algorithms are at work.