THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Thinking very hard about a Tanzania hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking very hard about a Tanzania hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a retirement present for me and the wife for next year.

Most likely Masailand as we want Grant's, Thompson's, Gerenuk, East African Impala and Lesser Kudu.....if available there also Fringe Eared Oryx. Buffalo would be probable as well. No interest in cats.

Yes I know a 21 day license is required for the species we want and a 21 day hunt would not be out of the question.

Who would you use?

And any outfitters/agents feel free to pm offers.

Thanks.

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Mike Fell, Brian V Blerk or Paddy Curtis. There you have 3 PH´s that can set you up with a good safari imho. Have met Paddy and Brian a couple of times in Zimbabwe and their clients have only good to say.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian V. Blerk is a top PH. Also, check with Danny McCallum, Mike Angelides, Cliff Walker, Dean Kendall and Simon Evans. I guess Luke Samaras has lost his Masai block, not sure who has it now, but that may be an option, depending on the PH.

Buffalo can be hit and miss in Masailand, depending on the block. Generally, early season and late season hunting offers a better chance, depending on the rains of course. But it you get the timing right- look out!

Some blocks do have more dependable water so the buff hang around through the season. There are buffalo in the various mountains- fun to hunt and can be very physical.

Gerenuk quotas are very limited.

Might as well head off to Manyara, the crater and Tarangire while there- perhaps a night at Gibbs Farm for R&R? Lots of attractive options and travel is easy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with both Brian Van Blerk and Mike Fell.

I would go with either one of them in an instant.

With what you are looking for, you might have to move around a bit, but it's doable. The Gerenuk is the harder one to localize, but generally if they are there you see them.

Feel free to pm if you wish.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH himself has little to with the actual hunt, the outfitter / area is what matters most.

The Lake Natron areas in general offer the best / most successful hunts you are looking for.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Michel Mantheakis has a great block in Lake Natron which has lots of the masai plains species and in good quality, I am not sure if he has buffalo on his blocks, other natron blocks have buffalo up in the mountains which is a great hunt in itself, I think TGTS and maybe Kilombero North.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
The PH himself has little to with the actual hunt, the outfitter / area is what matters most.

The Lake Natron areas in general offer the best / most successful hunts you are looking for.

While having a good ph is important, I believe the area is much more.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManuelM:
Michel Mantheakis has a great block in Lake Natron which has lots of the masai plains species and in good quality, I am not sure if he has buffalo on his blocks, other natron blocks have buffalo up in the mountains which is a great hunt in itself, I think TGTS and maybe Kilombero North.

Thanks. Who books for him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH IS important, especially if you get a bad one or one with no personality. Better to meet him first or go on a TRUSTED opinion from a friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from 14 days at Michel's Lake Natron block. My wife's first trip. We split between three camps, starting in Longido, which is great for lesser kudu, gerenuk, oryx and dik dik. Also good buffalo on the mountain if you are in shape. Moved to the camp at Ol'doinio Lengai, which is truly scenic, for Grants', then to a camp up north on the Panini River for Roberts', Thompson's, Coke's, Chandler's mountain reedbuck, and bushbuck. Some good eland there too. We took a buffalo off of Ol'doinio Sambu, but the hunting is tough. We took all of the above, save oryx and eland, plus impala, zebra and two species of wildebeest (the western was lost I guess). Passed on an eland hoping for something a bit older that didn't materialize and just had bad luck on oryx several times (zebras, shifting wind, etc.) Some really nice trophies as well.

It was a great trip and even my rather pampered wife didn't feel like she was roughing it at all. I've hunted several times with Michel's company and there is always great attention to detail. I always book direct with him. PM me and I'll send you his email address or more details if you'd like.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Why should anyone have to choose between a good PH and a good area?

Both are critical, IMHO, and both can be had.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to PH's we hunted with Micah Du Plooy, who is outstanding. Just about the best white tracker I've ever seen and hunts hard. I think he's part goat by the way he climbs rocks and negotiates grades. Very personable as well.

I agree. Both are important.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider a combination hunt combing Masi and Tanzania in the same hunt, lots of our hunters do that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Isn't Masailand in Tanzania? Just south of Arusha the last time I visited. Wink

quote:
You might consider a combination hunt combing Masi and Tanzania in the same hunt, lots of our hunters do that.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to complicate things, but one option might be to hunt 14 days with one outfitter on a 21 day license for the gazelles, lesser kudu, oryx, gerenuk etc., then switch to another block and another outfitter for 7-10 days that is better for buffalo.

Also, I know you don't want cats, but keep in mind that some of the mountain areas in Masailand i. e. Burko, Monduli etc. are very good for big leopard.

Also, another very good PH I didn't mention earlier is Sean Kelly.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Masailand is in Tanzania.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am very interested in a Buff and full PG bag safari in Masiland. Good thread Jim, let me know what you come up with.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike Fell

right there in Texas may want to look him up and have a chat

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Stefano De Amicis (Masailand or Selous), Mike Fell or Pierre van Tonder. Run good hunts.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will really enjoy Tanzania. When 3 times and if health would allow it I would be there now. Masailand is wonderful.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is the local situation in Tz. Are locals allowed to hunt with license and quotas or do they have to use PH services like foreigners?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11182 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

While having a good ph is important, I believe the area is much more.

Any recommendations?

Sure, if you want to email me at globalhunts@aol.com I can happily help sir.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would one typically have 1 or 2 buffalo on license with this type of hunt? Generally speaking...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Depends on the operator, how he wants to distribute his quota and how many buffalo he has to sell. A full 21 day license and 21 day hunt should allow 3 buffalo. In my experience a 14-16 hunt with a 21 day license might allow 2 buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a 15 day hunt on a 21 day license once and had 3 buff on quota but I only shot 2; I was waiting for Mr. Big. Did a 21 day hunt too and only shot 2; same reason.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Number of buffalo in Masailand is going to depend on the block. You'll be on a 21 day license whether you are hunting 14 or 21 days to get all of the other species you want. As stated, that should give you 3 buffalo, but depending on the area, you may be more limited. I had one buffalo on license on my last trip in Natron.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
What is the local situation in Tz. Are locals allowed to hunt with license and quotas or do they have to use PH services like foreigners?

Resident hunting has been suspended/banned for 3 years until the end of 2018 provided it is not extended.

When it was open their was a local quota available for limited species and no, there was no requirement to be accompanied by a PH; in some areas one would have to be accompanied by a Game Scout.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a 21 day hunt with Rungwa spending part of the time in one of his 3 Masai blocks. Fantastic buffalo hunting( you get 3 ) lots of plains game with abundant lessor kudu, grants and fringe eared oryx.We also hunted his Selous block primarily for crocodile and hippo but also some plains game and buffalo. Harpreet also has a block in western Tanzania. I'd split it up as you won't need 21 days in Masai land to get all your species even if your pretty picky.

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don`t forget to bring a Norwegian (me) to bring you gin tonics at night and shoot some animals for when you want a slow day Wink

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Stop thinking about it and just do it!

Life is too short, so enjoy it while you can.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX:

No advice here, but a big Congrat's to you and your wife on your upcoming retirement. I hope that you find your dream hunt!

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a excellent safari with Pierre van Tonder Safaris. It was one of the best that I have been on out of 12 safaris. Pierre's attention to detail, his staff and camp are top notch. Pierre has been hunting in Tanzania some 25 years or so. I hunted with him in the Selous but he is currently hunting in Masai Land with a client that wants essentially what you want in trophies. If you would like to talk to me on the phone, shoot me a PM and I will provide you my telephone number.

Gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
JTEX:

No advice here, but a big Congrat's to you and your wife on your upcoming retirement. I hope that you find your dream hunt!

Thanks Jason, very kind.

Lot's of good advice here, PVT is looking pretty good.