THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Craig Boddington Sick/Ill/Injured?????
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Boddington Sick/Ill/Injured?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I heard once that the best diagnosis a guy got of a heart attack was heat exhaustion because had they told the guy it was a heart attack in the middle of nowhere the stress induced by learning this in a primitive area would have probably killed him. Don;t know how true that really is but I know for a fact when I ended up in the hospital with atrial fibrillation I was sure happy the doc didn't say Heart Attack or I would have had one right there.... 'cardiac events' just plain suck and as Ayn Rand mentioned in one of her books, once you have one, you forever walk and wonder when you will have another. The trick is to not let your damn head get that kind of control over the rest of you.

Glad to hear you are OK and on the mend.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are doing well Mr Boddington. I have always enjoyed your articles and look forward to reading more. I lost my father 9yrs ago to a heart attack and am glad you got good medical attention so quickly. We are all pulling for you!

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been off the board for awhile and just saw this. Glad to hear your doing okay. Hope you have many more fine hunts,(even though I get jealous of you sometimes). I will add you to my prayers for awhile.
Take care, Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig,
Take care of yourself my brother. We will continue to pray for your speedy recovery. salute

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gen Boddington, sorry to hear of your episode but glad to read you are on the mend. Thanks for your services to our country.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, General, you really missed your chance!

Frankly, I can't think of a better way to leave this world than during the celebration dance at the completion of successful safari.

dancing

Just kidding, of course. I'm really very happy that you are doing well and look forward to many, many more years of your bringing thrilling adventures into my life via video, magazines and books. But for now, rest up, get healthy, and plan new adventures that will become tomorrow's "Boddington On __________?". (I can't wait for you to fill in the blank.)

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COL Boddington,
Glad to hear that you are doing better. Wishing you and your family all the best!
HOOAH!

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Col. Boddington, glad to read that you are doing better. Hope your recovery continues to progress so that you can get back to the field.

Many Thanks for your comments about what happened, as they may save someone's life that just thinks they are having indigestion and decides staying at home and taking it easy and everything will be fine.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

glad to hear you are out of danger. See you at Church in the morning, you at yours, the rest of us at ours.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Wow!!! Thanks so much to all for the kind words and encouragement! It's not possible to reply to all, but I truly appreciate the support.

First off: I'M GOING TO BE FINE! I'm home now, and probably will be for some time (which isn't really all that bad a thing.)
Second, and perhaps of greatest interest to all who have not had the experience of a "cardiovascular event" (uh, I definitely don't recommend it!), this came as a complete surprise, and in multiple ways. None of us are in as good shape as we can be, but I work out regularly and haven't completely lost the battle of the bulge. There is ZERO history of heart disease in my family. So I didn't see this coming. But that is largely my fault because I realize now I've had a couple of subtle warnings in the last few months. If you have such, please don't ignore them!

The "event" itself did not have classic symptoms. No chest pain, no pain in extremities. My buddy Bill Jones and I were in the final phase of a safari in Uganda, and it was a very hot midday when we got onto a really good Nile buffalo bull. We got him down and were dancing and celebrating when I felt the world go upside down...catastrophic loss of blood pressure, turned white as a sheet, had trouble breathing. I didn't go all the way out, so remember the event with a very odd detached calmness. Bill, PH Tony Moore, and cameraman Andy MacDonald poured water on me and in me. The symptoms were actually much more akin to acute heat exhaustion than a heart attack. I am not sensitive to heat, so this didn't make any more sense, but a heart attack didn't seem the most likely problem.
They got me cooled down, and after a while (as someone noted) I did indeed rally for both photos and video ("the show must go on," right?). I felt like shit, but definitely better.
We got back to camp and, with the last major animal secured, decided we would all head to Kampala. The big disconnect, if there was one, was that the International Hospital in Kampala diagnosed a pulmonary infection, gave me antibiotics, and sent me on my way. Honest, I couldn't disagree with that: I was having trouble breathing, but not really any chest pain, and both blood pressure and pulse were fine.
Fortunately flights were open and I was able to get out of there almost immediately. It was the longest flight of my life, and my situation was clearly deteriorating rapidly. When I got off the plane Donna took one look at me and got me to the emergency room. At that point things started happening very fast. It's amazing I survived the journey home, and the doctors seemed fairly confident I couldn't have lived through the night had I been stubborn and insisted on staying home.
We here in the United States enjoy many blessings. One of them, in my view, is the best health care in the entire world. I freely admit that my appearances in church are not as regular as perhaps they should be, but I can promise you I'll be there this Sunday, and I'll be including a great team of doctors, nurses, and technicians in my prayers...along with all of you.
Again, many thanks!
Craig Boddington

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

My wife is a cardiac intensive care nurse. Usually when you have the symptoms you described, and do not get quick care - you die.
You did the right thing getting to a hospital and in the hands of pros.

You made a comment that I would like to address - "you are not sensitive to heat". Be careful. Every one of us, white or black, is affected by heat. When you are dehydrated or your body has difficulty cooling itself - you are headed for serious trouble and usually do not know it. Being fair skinned and of European descent, you and most of us can get killed by heat and not know it. Mix in any heart issue or lung issue with a good dose of heat and dehydration and you are headed to the undertaker.

Now that you have had a wake up call on this - you will be more sensitive to heat issues in the future. You cannot "train" your way out of it. It just "is". You cannot build up an immunity or strong tolerance to heat. You can take precautions (drink 1 liter of water per hour, check you pee to see that it is "clear and copious", rest when feeling hot) and listen to your body telling you it is time to stop.

What to do next? Stay in shape, rest, slow down. Allow your body time to heal. Do what your doctor tells you.

As to church - by all means go. Be sure you know who you are worshiping as you almost got to see what the rest of us will see someday.

My best to you and hopefully many hunts in the future.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Glad to heard you are back in country and doing better. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Sam Rose

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are on the mend, General.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Col,

Glad you're alive and thanks to God who has other/more plans for you. I think you honor the Lord by encouraging others to do things they wouldn't normally do in His awesome creation. You've enriched many lives by your humble writing when you could be beating your chest like others who haven't done 10% of what you've accomplished.

Your Marines have done quite a few studies on heat exhaustion for the Marine Rifle Squad. The results are important to everyone: when your extremities/skin can't dump heat fast enough and when the core temp reaches skin temp you're in real trouble. Everyone's different in their ability to dump heat, but no one's immune. These tests were done on young Marines, not old farts like most of us. Stopping to rest is perceived as a sign of weakness. The reality is that when you're "there" you feel it and NOT stopping to rest is the real sign of weakness. The Marines may be changing TTPs to include making sure that your Marine Staff Sergeants require Marines to stop and rest, even removing helmets and armor if the situation allows.

Beware Heat!!

Glad you're well, hope you have some great restorative rest and that your (and our) heart(s) aligns with God's.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig.

How good is this???

It's like hearing all of your eulogies without actually having to buy the farm! Wink

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig, Glad to hear you are on the mend. You took some time at 1994 SCI to enlighten me on the virtues of Africa. You sent me to Jack Atcheson and Russ Broom and I've had nothing but great safaris, seven at present, and counting. We are the same age so mabe you will again help me by opening my eyes to possible dangers ahead. Other than the usual elephant stomping or leopard mauling. Take care.

posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you made it back to the US successfully and are now on the mend. I've never met you but have enjoyed your work a great deal over the years. And your book on buffalo got me to Zim last summer for my first buff hunt. Best wishes and may you hunt again soon.

Posts: 6 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: 19 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Glad you are on the mend, wish you a speedy recovery, our prayers are with you

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig,

I don't know how I missed this until today.

I was shocked when I started reading this today, wondering why I had missed it. I feel terrible for not knowing about your illness until now.

So glad you are back on track and OK.

I've been taking aspirin, Lipitor, and blood pressure medicines since I was 40, mostly preventative. Even though I exercised regularly, my doc thought it was the right thing to do.

I still hope to get you back to Chattanooga soon. You have a huge following here and lots of folks have asked me when I'm going to get you back.

God Bless & our hopes for a speedy recovery.

Mike Stewart and the staff.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Just a quick note that you have fans and readers all over the world (even the other side) who follow your adventures and wish you well.

quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Wow!!! Thanks so much to all for the kind words and encouragement! It's not possible to reply to all, but I truly appreciate the support.

First off: I'M GOING TO BE FINE! I'm home now, and probably will be for some time (which isn't really all that bad a thing.)
. . . .
Craig Boddington

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I didn't see this coming. But that is largely my fault because I realize now I've had a couple of subtle warnings in the last few months. If you have such, please don't ignore them!

Craig,

If you don't mind sharing what were those warnings?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We wish you the best for a full Texas sized recovery.

I have had an "event" before and had to to come all the way around to US from Gabon. As in your case it was the longest of my life.

When they hauled me into the hospital in Gabon one of the guys told me " I dont want to worry you but I saw the doctor a while ago and he was stone drunk." One of the other guys with me said " You are in luck. He does his best work drunk." Smiler The next morning I was winging for the USA. Best shot you made on this trip!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scarier than a damn mamba !!! Best wishes !

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of the incident. Very happy to hear you are going to be ok!

Take care of yourself and have a speedy recovery.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Col.

Glad to have you back in the USA and on the road to recovery. Having had the pleasure to speak with you multiple times at DSC, I will say you are an officer and a gentlemen, two things that are often in short supply. We can't afford to lose any before their time.

Good luck and godspeed for a rapid and complete recovery!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig,
Better Tomorrows!
Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Craig -

We are all glad you are okay.

I got heat exhaustion on a Oryx hunt in NM in August. I was confused, dizzy, and weak. The guide ran ahead and fetched more water while I waited under a shaded ledge - and then helped me back. I ate a whole chilled watermelon when I got back the truck. Had I been by myself, I don't think I would have made it (i.e. died). And I grew up (and live in Texas) and have dealt with the heat my whole life. I saw the warning signs, but ignored them and tried to keep up with guys 10 years younger me that do this for a living and had just spent several weeks at altitudes several thousand feet higher than where we were.

God bless you!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3059 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Criag glad you are on the road to recovery and am sure you will be out stalking your prey soon.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
craig, glad you are on the mend. just curious, did you use a medical air rescue service an if so how did it work? again best wishes for a full recovery. tom

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Craig

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. My best wishes and prayers are with you.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
I am so glad you are doing well and things are on the correct track...
I just cant wait for
"Boddington on Cardio"

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearCountry953:
"Boddington on Cardio"

I was thinking that there might be a market for something like that. "How To Be A Hardcore Hunter After Serious Health Problems" could be a working title. Follow the host through rehab and a couple of hunts with ideas about what, where, when and how to do some serious hunting after a serious problem. Liability concerns would likely kill it though.

All the best Craig, hope to run into you in the field one of these days.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Boddington: Hurry & get back on your feet - nobody even comes close to producing great African hunting shows like you do. But not too quick - take care of yourself first. See you in Dallas next year.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Craig, I saw you again at the DSC show this past January and was again amazed at how you comport yourself in a high pressured situation when so many people want to speak to you in such a short time. Ever the gentleman. I am rapidly approaching the aniversary of my open heart surgery last April 21st. I didn't feel myself for quite sometime. Don't rush it. you will know when you are ready.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
As one who has survived a hunting heart attack. You are indeed a fortunate man.
It really does make one re-evaluate things. For me it was eating habits and better
care of myself. I've enjoyed your writings and videos for years. My prayers are with you.
God speed amigo.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie Bravo One, this is Black Top Six, SITREP over. No need to authenicate on this net Smiler

The Soldiers (And all Marines, Sailors, Airmen, Coast Guardsmen) are anxious to hear how you are doing my friend. HOOAH!

Remember, God Bless our Troops especially our snipers!!

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it through it. I have had 3 stents put in over 10 years ago as well as several ballons. Dont quit since all this i went to africa 7 times. Just give it time then get on with the second life you were given. Good luck to you sir.

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Anybody have an update as to how Craig is doing?
Hope all is well

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
As evidenced above, Craig has many, many friends on this forum, who wish him well and continued success and happiness.

(PLEASE NOTE this thread is originally from 2011)

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
please remember that was 2 years ago before the current fiasco!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I am glad you will be OK. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote