THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many bullets on an African hunt ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many bullets on an African hunt ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Would interest me to hear what others think is the right amount of DG and plains game ammo to take on a hunt.

I shot a buff last year 7 times. Excessive? Perhaps. But it was late in the day and he was still standing so I kept shooting and after all that's what doubles are for in my books!

(The picture only shows 5 spent cases - the first 2 we did not pick up.)

I took 40 rounds for the whole trip and used 17 % on one animal !

I had another trip once where I took 20 rounds and needed 12 to resight the rifle as the scope had taken a baggage handling whack. The first 3 were not even on the paper!

Next trip I may take 60 !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how many animals one is after.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

True Larry, say typically a couple of big and a couple of PG. And then there are the "he's a brut, shoot him!" moments ......

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie;

I generally take all or nearly the weight limit allowed by airlines.

I always worry about sighting in problems, but only had a problem one time. I don't want to worry about running out or limiting rounds I feel necessary to put something down.

Along that line, I carry 10 rounds on me while hunting... Two ammo carriers of 5+.

I also have no problem leaving behind anything I don't use up!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I take my full 11 pounds. Never had a PH that was not happy with me leaving unused ammo.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to be prepared for a worst case scenario.I will carry 20 rds on me when hunting and bring about 50 or 60 rds in all for the safari.Add 20 rds should I bring a medium bore rifle along.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Point is to take enough. 60 is appropriate amount. On hunt I carry 2 in the barrels and 10 solids + 5 softs on belt + 20 in Camelbak (10 solids + 10 softs).

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I carry 40 rounds (two boxes). Usually 20 rounds of my handloads that I hunt with and an extra box of the best quality factory loads that I can find.

(I let my PH shoot those up after the hunt) Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take the full allowance.

Usually 20-30 for the heavy rifle, and depending on what else is coming along as far as rifles, the balance in medium or light ammo.

Last time, 20 in .416 and 80 in .30-06.

The only time I ran out was when I had a shot out barrel and didn't know it, and couldn't hit anything with it (but it shot fine at exactly 100 from the bench... just not closer or further out.)

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
take every thing you can cram in and plan for-- a plan b-- to buy more if the need arises

take all the money and bullets you got

one must not run out of bullets before he runs out of money --general rule

the rest of it is down there waiting for you

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually take 40. biebs on the other hands needs to take 4000

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
like our most famous Biebs

Just not quite yet famous myself but working to it

i --lean in t0-- more bullets more better

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went last month, I started off for 3 animals. These could be either 2 buff and a tuskless or 2 tuskless and a buff. I had options to shoot other buff and tuskless as well as PG and bull elephants should I so desire.

I took my 416 and my 500 NE. For the 416, I took 40 rounds of softs and 10 rounds of solids. For the 500, I took 40 rounds of solids and 10 rounds of softs. Of those softs, 6 were reduced loads that shot identical to full power loads. These were for purpose of checking zero on the Doktor Optik.

I ended up shooting 3 buff, 2 elephants, a croc, a bushbuck and a hyena. There was plenty of ammo left. Of course, that was at least partially because there was no problem with zeroing the rifles.

I have never gone on a hunt wishing I had brought less ammo. All it takes is zeroing problems and/or getting knocked out of zero and one can burn up a lot of ammo.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We were hunting one of the southern conservancies in Zimbabwe one year when the issue of purchasing ammo came up. The PH told us that he knew where ammo could be purchased. He told us the story of someone needing some 470 ammo and the individual being charged $1,000 for a box of 20. We inquired as to what the price for a box of 375 H&H ammo might be and was told that it was between $3-500 for a box of 20. I guess if you're desperate anything can be had for the right amount of cash. I ALWAYS take the weight limit in ammo so as to avoid these potential issues. Big Grin I also had a different PH another year in Zimbabwe show me a literal closet full of ammo that clients had left him over the years. On that trip he graciously gave me a box of 375 Federal 300 grain Noslers and I used one of those shells to shoot my leopard, as my ammo was still sitting in Joburg and had not yet arrived along with my hunting clothes. tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I take my wife so I take 22lbs divided between her suitcase and mine. Not bringing enough ammo is like altitude above you or runway behind you Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I take two boxes for each rifle and sometimes I take only one rifle. I used to take much more but never needed it. An extra sited in scope could save a load of ammo if your scope really gets knocked off.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it . Your PH will be delighted to take the extra off your hands or you can bring it back with you.

quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I take my full 11 pounds. Never had a PH that was not happy with me leaving unused ammo.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5kg is not a bunch of ammo in the big calibres. Take it. Some of my handloads have flown more than some of my friends...

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
I usually subscribe to the theory of taking the full 11 lbs that you are permitted.

However if you are only taking one open sighted double then doubt you need more than 20 rnds in total!!!

My recent trip to Namibia for bull ele and plains game i took 20 rnds of .600 for my double and 25 for my 375.scoped Blaser

This was pretty much on the limit of allowable 11. lbs including case.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my trip to Tanz I took a .404 and a .470 with 20 rounds for each. That was plenty for 2 buffalo and a couple of impala. I have in the past left ammo behind in RSA and Namibia but in Tanz they actually counted my rounds coming in and leaving. I had all my empties and hadn't left any in camp, but I don't know what would have happened if I just showed up with none.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I brought 40 rounds of .470 to Botswana, Elephant hunting. I shot twice.

I've brought full 5kg of mixed and nearly run out. I shot 11 rounds of .470 at one buffalo back in 2008 or 09.

Point is, I bring the full allowable quantity.

As an aside, I've been weighed once. it was the August 10th scare in Heathrow in 2006

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I don't take any since I don't take a rifle. Sure simplifies things....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Hi Jerry, How can you not use your own guns? I would feel naked.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take the 5 Kilos, divided between two rifles. With the big stuff that isn't a huge amount, and if something happens to one rifle your supply just got cut in half. What if a scope moved significantly, or failled or one had to be changed over to the other rifle?

Having said that, I usually have almost all of it left. I don't mind, I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

I quit the hassle about 6-7 safaris ago. 2 elephants, 3 buffalo, 2 hippos, 2 crocs, a leopard,and a truckload of plains game later, I have saved several thousand dollars and a huge amount of headach. One small suitcase and I am good to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry 5 kilos. Most is allocated to my .416 Rem. Mag. because it is the most versatile. But I will take a couple of boxes of rounds for a light rifle if I'm hunting small plains game. Seldom use any of it though. Usually shoot everything with the .416. It's what's in my hands and I'm comfortable to 300 yards.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take 60rds & a spare scope already sighted in with QD scope mounts.
Always leave any left over ammo with my PH.
Better to have it & not need it than need it & not have it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt plains game, so I only take 2 boxes (one of A-frames and one of solids). I have been fortunate in that my scope has always been "spot on" upon arrival in Africa.

Out of 40 rounds taken on each of 3 safaris.

Safari 1 - 3 shots (2 for sighting in, one for the buffalo)

Safari 2 - 8 shots (1 for sighting in, 4 for the elephant and 3 for the buffalo)

Safari 3 - 4 shots (2 for sighting in, 2 for the buffalo)

So based upon that history I would say that I only need 10 rounds, with 20 being extra conservative.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I brought 40 rounds of .470 to Botswana, Elephant hunting. I shot twice.

I've brought full 5kg of mixed and nearly run out. I shot 11 rounds of .470 at one buffalo back in 2008 or 09.

Point is, I bring the full allowable quantity.

As an aside, I've been weighed once. it was the August 10th scare in Heathrow in 2006

Intersting! I live in JHB amd fly from there. I've had the ammo weighed separately every time.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I Like to find out what chambering my PH uses and what bullet he uses most soft or solid and take one box of of ammo for him. That normally will not negate my part of the 11 pounds so I can have all I will need as well.

If the PHs ammo is the same as mine I leave what is left with him as well when I leave!

My double 470NE will use only softs as I don’t hunt elephant so have no need for solids, but I usually take a 5 round plastic Federal ammo holder of Federal solids just in case.

I find that most PHs use only factory ammo, and prefer not to shoot handloads from the client so that is what I take for him. If he wants my handloads I leave them with him as well. Ammo is not only hard to come by in the field, but is very expensive in Africa, so any he can get from me is appreciated.
.................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Zim allow you to bring more than 40 rounds? Did I dream that or is that the limit going into Zim? I'm headed that way in a couple of days and would like to take a few more rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no limit in Zimbabwe that I'm aware of. I've brought 60 rounds of ammo for one caliber into the country and another 40 rounds for a different caliber. Big Grin The airline required ammo weight is the only limit that I know of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
There is no limit in Zimbabwe that I'm aware of. I've brought 60 rounds of ammo for one caliber into the country and another 40 rounds for a different caliber. Big Grin The airline required ammo weight is the only limit that I know of.

Thanks, I'll load up a few more, never know when you will get in a shoot out.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I always considered having my own rifle part of the overall experience. I think, after using a camp .416 Rigby for the first few Impala in Mozambique for Leopard bait while awaiting Joyce's 7 x 57 ammo to catch up to us that using a camp gun isn't so bad. Traveling with firearms really does amp up the hassle factor and the novelty of tolerating that hassle is long gone for me.

Steve, I suspect Jerry will, like Joyce and I, use camp rods and reels when we all fish Brazil together next November. Can't wait.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

I always considered having my own rifle part of the overall experience. I think, after using a camp .416 Rigby for the first few Impala in Mozambique for Leopard bait while awaiting Joyce's 7 x 57 ammo to catch up to us that using a camp gun isn't so bad. Traveling with firearms really does amp up the hassle factor and the novelty of tolerating that hassle is long gone for me.

Steve, I suspect Jerry will, like Joyce and I, use camp rods and reels when we all fish Brazil together next November. Can't wait.

Cheers
Jim

Blasphemy I say!! Cool

I will say, their camp gear is all top shelf stuff.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It will be camp gear for me. Traveling with a rod case is a PITA!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be camp gear for me. Traveling with a rod case is a PITA!

Steve likes to use his own gear when it comes to Bluegills. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote