THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How many bullets on an African hunt ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many bullets on an African hunt ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The only time I will be using a camp rifle is if mine fails to show up! In fact not using my own rifles will take away 50% of the experience for me!

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Mac,

How long has it been since you traveled to Africa with your rifles?

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Taking 50 rounds to Cameroon in Jan. because 50 rounds per gun is their limit.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Mac,

How long has it been since you traveled to Africa with your rifles?

Cheers
Jim

It's been a while! Unfortunately The last time was just a memory that will never again become real again at my age and health and fixed income!

The only Africa I get these days is by reading the reports and viewing the films of Saeed and others here! I'm now left with Alaska and Canada for travel hunting.

However if I get back to Africa, which is unlikely, I will be shooting my own rifles.
.................................................................. CRYBABY

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It will be camp gear for me. Traveling with a rod case is a PITA!

Steve likes to use his own gear when it comes to Bluegills. sofa

Hi Jim.

My choosing to take my own tackle is two fold; first, even though Wellington (camp manager) takes very good care and keeps good line on camp gear, I trust my own skill set and gear choices when it comes to this.

Secondly and probably more important to myself is; As I've relayed to you, this trip is so authentic and enjoyable I really like to share the experience with others. So, in that spirit, I want the top choices in camp tackle to go to those whom don't haul their own gear. By me not getting involved in the "camp gear lottery", I can show you, Joyce, Jerry and company what I would pick the SECOND we roll into camp. BEFORE going to our cabins.

Several years ago, I had a rod tip break in transit, very common as the TSA just crams your rods back into your rod locker. I was forced onto using one of the camps big catfish rods. It was a Loomis (TFO)rod and I loved it. I came back the next year with a buddy, who wanted to use camp gear and that rod had been broken by a previous client. So, while he still had quality camp gear, the "rod of choice" was not in rotation.

As to the TSA, Just last week, I made a rod locker out of 4" black ABS. It is 36 inches long as all my rods are breakdown. Now, the TSA can't break my stuff. Problem is, for some reason, Brazil TSA standards DO NOT ALLOW carry on rods, no matter the size, coming home. So now, they will only trash my stuff AFTER I've fished and I have time to either repair or replace the broken stuff for the next trip.

My own bluegill gear... Cool

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take the airline weight limit. Last time one rifle, 60 rounds for two buffalo and a zebra.Why that much, well a Safari is costly and I like to be sure that I sight in and check zero on my scope, RMR and irons upon arrival. That will be minimum of six shots if it's all on. Then what about your gun falling from truck or other issues that can happen. May need to recheck zero. Much rather have more than enough than wishing I had taken more. Just one opinion but it is mine and has always worked out well.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any compelling reason NOT to take the maximum allowed.

It certainly is easier to take it there than replace it there.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have used camp rifles, they might suck, but the hassle is nothing.

Last time I flew from Jerez, Spain to London on Ryan air. Took a bus to Heathrow, flew to Namibia and repeated the process flying home.

No problems with baggage, I had one bag. I bought a pair of Israeli combat boots in Windhoek for $80 as my boots were giving me fits. I wore my safari clothes, had backups in my backpack and my camera. No problems. Camp rifles sucked but they worked.

Next time I am flying from Frankfurt to Windhoek and will probably bring my own rifles, but I honestly don't care if I do.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It will be camp gear for me. Traveling with a rod case is a PITA!

Steve likes to use his own gear when it comes to Bluegills. sofa

WOW!!! What an incredible catch. Some similar fish in the Upper Ganges but that is effing great!

Hi Jim.

My choosing to take my own tackle is two fold; first, even though Wellington (camp manager) takes very good care and keeps good line on camp gear, I trust my own skill set and gear choices when it comes to this.

Secondly and probably more important to myself is; As I've relayed to you, this trip is so authentic and enjoyable I really like to share the experience with others. So, in that spirit, I want the top choices in camp tackle to go to those whom don't haul their own gear. By me not getting involved in the "camp gear lottery", I can show you, Joyce, Jerry and company what I would pick the SECOND we roll into camp. BEFORE going to our cabins.

Several years ago, I had a rod tip break in transit, very common as the TSA just crams your rods back into your rod locker. I was forced onto using one of the camps big catfish rods. It was a Loomis (TFO)rod and I loved it. I came back the next year with a buddy, who wanted to use camp gear and that rod had been broken by a previous client. So, while he still had quality camp gear, the "rod of choice" was not in rotation.

As to the TSA, Just last week, I made a rod locker out of 4" black ABS. It is 36 inches long as all my rods are breakdown. Now, the TSA can't break my stuff. Problem is, for some reason, Brazil TSA standards DO NOT ALLOW carry on rods, no matter the size, coming home. So now, they will only trash my stuff AFTER I've fished and I have time to either repair or replace the broken stuff for the next trip.

My own bluegill gear... Cool

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Camp rifles sucked but they worked.

There is no doubt that traveling without a fire arm is easier! However I think doing so takes away much from the experience of Safari hunting, in Africa, Australia, or in any country outside your state, or country.

Every time I pick up one of my big bore bolt or double rifles that has been used to take something in a far away land it brings back memories like they were yesterday.

Just last week I opened one of my double rifle cases to place the rifle in it to go to the range that had not been opened in many years, as the rifle had been in my vault and the case in a closet. When I opened the little compartment for tools, I found a perfectly preserved very brown Moponi leaf that had been there for years. The memory was brought back like it was yesterday of me placing that leaf there to press in a frame under glass for my wall. The rifle also brought back the whole hunt like it happened last week.

Needless to say I enjoy hunting with my own rifles!

................................................................Just me! Others can do as it suits them
................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Camp rifles sucked but they worked.

There is doubt that traveling without a fire arm is easier! However I think doing so takes away much from the experience of Safari hunting, in Africa, Australia, or in any country outside your state, or country.

Every time I pick up one of my big bore bolt or double rifles that has been used to take something in a far away land it brings back memories like they were yesterday.

Just last week I opened one of my double rifle cases to place the rifle in it to go to the range that had not been opened in many years, as the rifle had been in my vault and the case in a closet. When I opened the little compartment for tools, I found a perfectly preserved very brown Moponi leaf that had been there for years. The memory was brought back like it was yesterday of me placing that leaf there to press in a frame under glass for my wall. The rifle also brought back the whole hunt like it happened last week.

Needless to say I enjoy hunting with my own rifles!

................................................................Just me! Others can do as it suits them
................................................................... old

Very poetic!

I have gone through several iterations of rifles, in my many moves back and forth across America and to Europe and Australia. Rifles that I should have never sold, have been sold to taken care of family emergencies when I was out of a job. At one time I would have considered it to be a tragedy to lose something like that. Today it is just an object..

I love rifles, I hold them in high regard. If someone offered me a rifle owned by Elmer Keith, Hemmingway or the Shah of Iran I would probably sell it. My life seems to work better in simple terms. I owned a knife made by Roger Bergh for a number of years, I never used it, it was beautiful but the value of it could easily have been destroyed by one bad move. So it was sold, and at a bit of a profit.

I have one rifle I hope to never part with. It is a Blaser K95 I bought my father when he turned 60. He turns 76 next month and has terminal COPD (his lungs are processing less than 26% of the air he breaths). We are as a family financially fine, and the odds are very good I'll own it for the rest of my life. I can remember every hunt I have ever been on with my father and that rifle (like you said, tears of yesterday).

Like Ross though, I do enjoy the lack of BS that comes from not bringing one.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hunting with my own rifle is half the fun.

Hunting with a rifle you have built yourself, for a cartridge you have designed yourself, with bullets you have turned on a lathe yourself, one at a time, adds some icing on the cake clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I think today you'd have a problem bringing in ammunition that didn't match one of your rifles, at least in Tanzania. I've had them sit there and compare the headstamps of each round in the box to the permit and the stamp on the side of the rifle. And to count the rounds in every 20 round box one by one. :-). There are 20 in each box.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Saeed, bringing my rifle with handloaded ammunition is a big part for me. Further, I think the inconveniences are overrated, at least in the common African countries. Typically c. 40 cartridges.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Esskay,

The fish you mention found in the Ganges river is the Goonch catfish. It is a member of the Catfish Big 5 and are on my radar. I need a Goonch and a Wells to complete it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Mac,

I think today you'd have a problem bringing in ammunition that didn't match one of your rifles, at least in Tanzania. I've had them sit there and compare the headstamps of each round in the box to the permit and the stamp on the side of the rifle. And to count the rounds in every 20 round box one by one. :-). There are 20 in each box.

You are likely correct today, however it wouldn't be a problem with one box of factory along with my handloads of the same chambering. I usually take two rifles a 470NE and a 375H&H and almost every PH in Africa has a 375H&H rifle, and most will have a 470NE double. In those cases I could take a box of factory for each rifle for the PH. If he wanted my handloads I would leave them as well.

.................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I took my 416 and my 500 NE. For the 416, I took 40 rounds of softs and 10 rounds of solids. For the 500, I took 40 rounds of solids and 10 rounds of softs.

Larry,

50 rounds of 416 and 50 rounds of 500NE,...I would have guessed that exceed 5kg limit.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We definitely take all we are allowed. As Larry said, I've never regretted taking too much ammo.

On plainsgame hunts I normally bring my son, father and one of my nephews. We normally bring a couple pairs of rifles in the same caliber, 2 300 Win Mags and 2 7mm-08's. We have burned up a lot of ammo at the end of hunts on culling, predators or baboons. Every PH that I've hunted with has always been glad to get high quality 300 Wing Mag ammo.

On my dangerous game hunts, I again, bring all that is allowed, but I rarely use more than 10 rounds. On my DG hunts I don't typically hunt plains game, so that really cuts down the amount ammo needed.
On one hunt, I shot 2 elephant bulls and a buff, and only shot a total 8 rounds,...5 shots during the hunt and 3 rounds to check scopes on arrival. The PH happily accepted my excess 458 Lott and 375 HH ammo.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote