New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Charge
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 67018 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, remind me not to apply for the job as your photographer when the current one resigns (LOL). That looked exciting, to say the least.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am afraid it was not be shooting.

I forgot who this gentleman is. I took the photos from an old hunting book. Cannot remember which one though.

I am in the process of making a list of the books I have read, and will post it on the Book Forum.

Posts: 67018 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What Charge? He's standing at the shot.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

The distance he fell from the shooter is just about how close they would get before we could even SEE their outline in the Forests and Jungles of SW Ethiopia.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Bah...look at the size of the elephant compaired to the hunter. The bloody things only a baby.

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive...do you know the gun�s caliber?. These seem rather big barrels.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The book is called "Cambaco" (SP?) which is portuguese for rogue or something. I have the boo translated into spanish. This gent is the Portugeuse version of Tony Sanchez Arino. The book is a great source of info on al aspects of African hunting, rifles, etc. It is dated however especially when he talks about bullets. He really eschews the old Kynoch ammo and speaks WONDERS about period american bullets, like Remington Core-Lockts, Power Points, Silvertips etc. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Book is "Elephant Hunting In Portuguese East Africa" By Jose Pardal. I highly Recommend this book, the author was very advanced for his day. He used his own lathe turned flat point solids, and shot a gun he described as a "460/500" ... basicly a 500 A square. He lived in Mozambique from 1935-1975. The double rifle he is holding is not discribed in the text of the series of pictures, but he used several.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

The results of using a long telephoto lens! It foreshortens the distance between objects quite nicely. I'm sure you've see photos of telephone poles all in a line where they look like they're only a few feet apart. In reality, they are probably a hundred yards apart.

A WA lens has just the opposite effect. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
saeed,
great pictures.
Can I put in the new big game hunting italian revue: Cacciare a palla ?
Thanks

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the title of the post I thought maybe it was a Visa commercial.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have this book and it is sure good reading. highly recommended....

What I find interesting is if you look at the sequence of pic 3,4 and 5, you can figure out how quickly the shooter returns to target after recoil! The elephant is brained and there must be hardly a second between pic 4 and 5 which shows the shooter basically "back on target". Quite impressive I would say.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter how far the bull, or how open the terrain it is still a damn good shot and the thrill of being charged must have been incredible!
Is it possible he urged the animal to charge as it was so popular to do back in the day?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mario,

You are welcome to use them, but I suggest you credit them to the book they came from.

The Book is "Elephant Hunting In Portuguese East Africa" By Jose Pardal.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Cambaco is the name where it appears in Spanish and Portuguese. As a matter of fact, Danile M, who posts here and lives in Spain, kindly gave me the book. For the unenlightened, Portuguese East Africa is the original name for Mozambique. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

These photos are indeed from �Cambaco� a book by Mr.Jos� Pardal, a great hunter and PH.
Mr.Pardal has published two really magnificent books (Cambaco I and II) giving a vivid and breathtaking account of his Mozambique years.
I have those two books (signed by Mr.Pardal) and I will try to translate the story behind those photos and post it on the forum.
By the way: Mr.Pardal, that is still alive and probably on his late 70�s now, went back to Mozambique about 4 years ago for a last safari.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Tony

Yeah I know.....I was just fishing for a bite by seeing who'd I get explaining it to me. Sorry mate you bit! Just my Aussie humor comming through

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, That distance is much longer than 90% of the elephant encounters in the rain forest!

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

The elephant is much closer than 90% of the elephant encounters in the rain forest!

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Aww com-on Nick....thats a plastic elephant in a pot plant You'll have to do better than that mate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The look in that bugger's eye is a bit 'unsettling'...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Very impressive...do you know the gun�s caliber?. These seem rather big barrels.

Nainital,

The gun Jos� Pardal is using is a .475 n.2 Jefferys.

Quote:

The book is called "Cambaco" (SP?) which is portuguese for rogue or something.

Jorge
"Cambaco" is an african word (Changani dialect) for old and lone elephant.

This elephant was a problem elephant (wounded) that was attacking the villagers.
Those pictures came from a movie made with an old "Payard Bolex" 16mm using Kodakrome filme, and the cameraman was standing about 25 meters behind the hunter.
The hunter was at half way between the cameraman and the elephant.
The elephant dropped on the first shot but that can't be seen on the sequence as the cameraman stopped filming when the elephant was charging! (To much for him!)
The elephant got up and a second shot put it down (the cameraman had recovered by then!).

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MR. Martins: Thanks for the insight into the history behind the photo. Tony Sanchez Arino knows Mr. Pardal and I had the opportunity to chat with Tony regarding him. I love the book, I constantly go back and re-read passages from it, especially his views on calibers and ballistics. jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, You can literally bump into a leg...looks like just another tree. That's why we always used the lung shot. After studying for 30 minutes you could usually figure out where they were in relation to the other pieces you ID'd.

Once my wife drilled one right through the open spread ear though. Never will figure that one out! P.O.'d elephant for sure but it took off instead of charging. You never know. SHe had seen the tusks earlier. Two ivory shafts poked out of a big green screen < !--color--> and then went back in. Good bull but funny anatomy

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rich,

One time in Chete, we saw two young bulls standing in the shade of a tree near the Senkwe River.

There was a larg ant hill a few feet downwind from them, so we thought we will try to see if we can get to the ant hill without disturbing them.

We got the ant hill, and as we climb up slowly, we realized how close the bulls were!

One had his rear end less than 10 feet from us.

Walter called us a bunch of stupid idiots!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

That's what's called up close and personal!

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
After studing the photos, I seriously doubt that they are 100 yards apart, for several reasons, one being elephants tend to have a short bubble and don't normally charge from a 100 yards out..two the charge appears intense...three, off hand killing a charging elephant frontally at that range would be rather unusual and somewhat of a sideshow..If I had a double and only two shots I would let him close to at least 50 yards before I shot, and my next shot would be more like 15 where I could not miss...My guess is the charge began at about 50 yards or less and the hunter got off two shots and killed the elephant..but then I am not a camera person, soooooo???????

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would rather be in that spot than any place in the world. Wow what a feeling!!!!!!! That too me would feel better than the WHOLE Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader Squad. I'm not jokeing. Damn I'm jealous. I have only had one charge in 9 elephants and I didnt handle it that well. until I stop a charge myself it just wont sit right with me.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.... in my book "Elephant Hunting in Portuguese East Africa" which is in english by Jose Pardal, he says he "...fired at a distance of some 10 meters..." that is the text under pic 3 in this thread.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LVEric,
I agree, it is an exilerating experience..Some folks like to bungy jump, some drive race cars, some ride broncs and bulls ( I/ve done that a lot ) but to me the biggest rush in the world is a charge from a Lion, Buff or Elephant..This isn't everybodys "thang", but I live for it, I don't make it happen, but when it does I get pumped to the hilt and the after math is incredible...

I read a lot on the talk forums about how this is a terrible thing to deal with, and no one wants it to happen, but if that is so, then why in the world would one hunt "dangerous game"?? that approach does not make since to me...

Guess everyone swings different!

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, Eric, or any others who have been charged by the Elephant, every thing over the years that i have read stated they flod their ears back while charging, Do you think thats true normally? Or didi the PH in the photos perchance just catch him as he decided to press the issue?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I read a lot on the talk forums about how this is a terrible thing to deal with, and no one wants it to happen, but if that is so, then why in the world would one hunt "dangerous game"?? that approach does not make since to me...

Ray

Every hunter BOTH wants one and also doesn't!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The results of using a long telephoto lens! It foreshortens the distance between objects quite nicely. I'm sure you've see photos of telephone poles all in a line where they look like they're only a few feet apart. In reality, they are probably a hundred yards apart.

A WA lens has just the opposite effect.

Everything Tony says here is true, except the claim that this series of pictures was taken with a telephoto lens. They may have been, but it looks to me more like they were taken with a normal lens.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
LE270,

From another message in this thread:

>>...and the cameraman was standing about 25 meters behind the hunter.<<

I doubt a normal lens would provide the perspective in those photos with the camera more than 80 feet behind the hunter.

Most of those old Bolex Pailard cameras were set up with a turret that had three lenses, with a 16mm, 25mm AND 75mm as a common arrangement. Not sure what the focal length translation for the 75mm telephoto would be from the 16mm to 35mm equivalent, but my guess is that was the one used. Also, I believe other longer focal lenses were also available up to 150mm or so. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ray, Eric, or any others who have been charged by the Elephant, every thing over the years that i have read stated they flod their ears back while charging, Do you think thats true normally? Or didi the PH in the photos perchance just catch him as he decided to press the issue?

When I was charged it happened so fast that all I noticed was the head was down and that cow wasnt stopping for awnything. I wish I could relive that monent.

I have since been in a few more than several situations where I/we could have prevoked a charge, but that aint real and I would NEVER do it, we'll let MS do thaqt and sell a few more movies for the green peas.

Sure a charge is where the rush is but so is the moment before the first shot knowing damn good and well it better count. The better shot you are and better you control your nerves & adrenelan(SP?) the less likely you will have a problem because the initial shot "should" be a fatal shot.

Since I shoot well and have good control in tight spots it is less likely for me to be in a charge situation in the future. My PH and I have discussed this topic many times. We agree that it is something some hunters have and others dont, the ability to make that first shot count by controlling their nerves and not shooting the lion in the leg from the blind. I'm not judging anyone here just making an observation. On the flip side if a dog barks at me unexpectadly I jump 3 feet in the air and run, nothing scares me more. But put A 375 in my hands I dont care how pissed or fast that lion is.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote