Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket Ransom???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Three months ago ALL of my photos on photo bucket had a note that they had been either moved or deleted.
I jumped through all their hoops to no avail so got ahold of two different photo bucket experts who told me that for some "one in a million reason" they had disappeared and could not be found !!
I don't know if it had anything to do with it but it happened right after one of my photos of a dead bear that I had shared with the local USFWS agency started receiving a lot of flack from overseas anti-hunters and the Gov't backed down and removed it from their web.

Anyway Photobucket screwed the pooch. However the photos I had shared with this and other forums still show up but I have given up on them.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Some lost them a good while ago. Mine have only been gone a couple of days. With over 100,000,000 users it's understandable that the change could take a while to be applied to and to affect every account.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get your own cloud for a fraction of $400 a year.

Something like the Synology 216 or bigger . There are better ones and bigger ones of course.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Which link option are you guys using from PictureTrail...direct?

I have not posted any photos from picturetrail here, yet, but on other forums I do it by right-clicking the photo and selecting "Copy image address" then at the forum, clicking their insert image option and pasting what I have copied.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Heym and others who only have their photos on PB, it might be worth paying their ransom for one year in order to download your pics back to your computer.

I agree that PB has made a huge business blunder that started years ago. They should have had a strategy like picturetrail of free hosting, but only for a limited time, then forcing you into a low cost option to retain the photos. If PB had been getting $5/year from each customer with upgrade options of $20, $50, and $100, they would have made a huge fortune.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I seem to be frozen in time on Photobucket. I can't see any of my photos and I can't log out and try logging back in. Actions is inactive. Anyone else all locked up there?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16627 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A reminder to everyone.

You should make sure you all your photos backed up at home, no matter who is hosting them in the Net.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68627 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Bill - It's probably because your browser cache is "recalling" the upgrade image. You can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. But no matter, you don't need to see your pictures in Photobucket to be able to download them.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A reminder to everyone.

You should make sure you all your photos backed up at home, no matter who is hosting them in the Net.
Very true, Saeed. Unfortunately, some of us have larger original, high definition, un-cropped images backed up but uploaded smaller, low definition, cropped images to Photobucket.

Of course, the simple answer is to download everything from Photobucket and back that up if you don't already have it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Same here.

I have full resolution photos and videos, and I have a separate directory for those I resize to post here.

We do a lot of photos and videos - our last trip for a few days in Canada I have over a Terabite of video alone, and several hundred Gigs of photos.

Modern hi resolution cameras have very large files, and 4K videos are even bigger.

Anything anyone considers of value, should be backed up on at least 2 separate hard drives.

They are not very expensive, and will save you a major headache in the future.

Posts: 68627 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So far my Imgur test has failed 4 times. Each time I get a link, not a picture. It doesnt the matter whether I use direct link, HTML link or bbcode link. No pictures, just links. Any suggestions??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have just removed the bulk of my photos from PB and it appears that the restrictions have been lifted from my account and I can post photos again
not sure if it is because I have dropped below their threshold or because they realised it was a bad Idea

Danger and Death dance to the wild music of the gale, and when it is night they dance with a fiercer abandon, as if to allay the fears that beset the sailorman who feel their touch but see them not

George H Grant

Posts: 20 | Location: Lost in the Queensland Mulga  | Registered: 27 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Test with picture trail. Looks good so far.

Nope. If I click on your Botswana link all the pics are labeled to Update Account. Just saying . .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, I have used SmugMug for years and while it is not free they are quite a good hosting service and pretty inexpensive. I think it is 3$ a month but billed annually. I have no commercial association with it, I am just offering it as an option to those who might want to look at it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this is related. My PB on my phone will not work for the last month or so.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They are getting what they deserve on the Net.

Negative publicity for not letting people know in advance what they were planning.

Many reports call blackmail.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable backlash on the web!

Their feedback option seems to be difficult to find! they must be fed up with the hammering they are getting.

Ebay, amazon etc are full of their error message!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is two emails to use and complain about their changes ...

support@photobucket.com,
pro@photobucket.com

Posts: 1873 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
For anyone interested, I have used SmugMug for years and while it is not free they are quite a good hosting service and pretty inexpensive. I think it is 3$ a month but billed annually. I have no commercial association with it, I am just offering it as an option to those who might want to look at it.

I picked them as my replacement for PB. I paid $47 a year. So far, so good. PB almost wasn't worth the free price with all the ads and pop ups. I couldn't stand using it. I loaded the smugmug app on my phone. Very easy to use.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't posted on here in a long time. I got the notification from PB 2-3 days ago. I've checked 2-3 web sites to see if my pics had been deleted. So far they are still there. I just went to PB and pulled a pic from 2011 safari in Zim. Gonna see if I can post it here.

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be the first to say that I don't know whats going on. I download pics from my camera to My pictures on my hard drive. When I go to PB, I upload to that account just the pics that I want to keep. Every pic is on my file at home. I'm so old fashioned that I'm still running windows xp with mozilla firefox and adblocker plus. Why it still works I have no clue.

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My avatar went tits-up this morning, but other pics that I've posted are still working...for now. It will only be a matter of time and it will all be gone.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
They got me about 3 days ago.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Last gasp try for money from another former internet darling. They should have sold or merged long ago. PB fell into the same business model trap that so many did in the 90's, get there first, but like so many of these companies, it was easily copied model. Alas, when you piss millions of customers off over your defunct business model and try to suddenly jack prices on them, you are pretty well doomed....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Liberals from Cali.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I can view all my pics on PB but all are kidnapped here on AR. They have become a scourge of the Internet and wouldn't bother me if they went belly up, in fact I hope they do.
Because of all the spam ad's that take 5 minutes to attempt to upload (and I do mean attempt) it causes my PC to freeze, close the program or other hi-jinks. It is a pain in the ass to work with. If we could copy and paste pics into our posts on AR we'd never need another phony site. PB wants $39.99 per month to be able to post 3rd party; meaning AR etc.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:

I picked them as my replacement for PB. I paid $47 a year. So far, so good. PB almost wasn't worth the free price with all the ads and pop ups. I couldn't stand using it. I loaded the smugmug app on my phone. Very easy to use.

I think I have had SmugMug them since 2003 or so. Never any problems. I think I have to call them once to get some assistance just for me not knowing how to use something when they made a change and they were helpful. I have a big Synology NAS sitting right here and I still use SmugMug for just photo stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
flickr is another good option. basic usage is free, but even the top plan is only about $50 a year. Also gives you multiple sizes and resolutions you can choose from (while storing your full size original)

amazon also provides unlimited storage for Prime members. if you are already a member, you should look into this. If for nothing else, just a backup of your pics.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
This is the BEST idea yet!!! Don't delete your account on Photobucket LOAD it till it's full with THEIR Third Party IMAGE!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Email to me from Photopucker 2 hours ago:

"Whoops!
Looks like you got the wrong plan.
We noticed that you've purchased the wrong Subscription plan.
Your current plan does not allow for third-party hosting and we don't want to restrict your content. Please upgrade to our Plus 500 Membership.
Only the Plus 500 Plan supports 3rd Party Hosting and Commercial Use."

So I unsubscribed to future emails from them. ... Devious devils!

Expect thousands more of photos enriching this site to vanish soon,
millions will be gone before the devious devils at photopucker are done.
The only bright side to this is the bandwidth savings to Saeed. animal

Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Trying Imgur and what can I do about reducing the size of picture?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

OK got it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have been hit with a ransom message today.

My free account is only 50% full to capacity. It looks like an effort on their part to try and get as many new people to pay up as possible.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
So far so good on my PB account. I don't have much on there and it shows 0% capacity used so maybe I sneak in under their radar.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to upgrade this platform where you can post directly.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I'm considering setting up a pic hosting site if folks are interested. It would require the user to understand a little more than they likely already do about this sort of thing, but would be 100% BS, ad, and ransom free. Image links would be in plain English, useable anywhere and under total control of the user. Probably about 10gig space per user. Dont know how much interest there might be in something like that. PM me if you think you might be.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
DONE with PB. Transitioning to IMGUR.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I'm considering setting up a pic hosting site if folks are interested. It would require the user to understand a little more than they likely already do about this sort of thing, but would be 100% BS, ad, and ransom free. Image links would be in plain English, useable anywhere and under total control of the user. Probably about 10gig space per user. Dont know how much interest there might be in something like that. PM me if you think you might be.

I would

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Testing........

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com