a must read on terminal balistics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html#solids

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WARNING: Wet newsprint is an unpredictable and inconsistent test media. The numbers reported look reasonable, but I bet the test could not be duplicated to yield the same or similar numbers due to newsprint problems.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Older stuff, but still an interesting read.

I've always liked the wound channel charts, especially when comparing two bullets that penetrate about the same but have vastly different wound channels. I guess I'm a visual kind of guy.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
aw come on grains...dont put out a fire before its started

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also have a look out for the Namibian Book by their forensic ballistics guy W.A. Hunt- Shooting and Ballistics I think it is called.

Interesting reading, and explains why they were so happy with the shortrange stopping effect of the .223 in Namibia and the yanks are disapointed with it (especially out of the M4 rifles) in the middle east.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting reading, and explains why they were so happy with the shortrange stopping effect of the .223 in Namibia and the yanks are disapointed with it (especially out of the M4 rifles) in the middle east.

Charlie,

Great to see you posting here.
As to the above quote:
What effect did the report show about the 223?

Don't know if you been reading the non-sense about the 45/70 in the African Hunting forum. The pros and cons are still at it. Seems a real waste of personal time to me. Wink

What's YOUR take on the four-five-seven-o for DG. I'll pay close attention to your report, as you have probably seen more DG killed than the sum total of all the experts here.

I'll tell here as I have posted it before, I don't reccomend the 45/70 for DG. Just trying to create a little fun. Big Grin

As to the Raffle we discussed, doesn't look as if the masses are ready for another go. Frowner

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The namibians used 55grn bullets...and reported comparible stopping effect with 7.62 ball (but the slightly underloaded R1m1 stuff) to 75m. Beyond that distance velocity had fallen to below 3200fps. The .223's effictiveness is based on a crutial impact velocity above 3200fps and an inherently unstable bullet in the !:14 twist used. Mr hunt noted that in their trial with the short barreled CAR carbines they tried Stoppingeffect was limmeted to almost contact distance due to the MV being only 3200fps at muzzel and the tighter 1:12 twist.

With the heavier SS109 ball, velocity isn't were it is needed to produce the next step up in hydrostatic shock, and the bullets tend to be even better stabilised for better penetration in steal/wood and much improved long range accuracy.

Having used an old AR15 with a 1:14 twist and an M16 with the 1:12 , the tighter twist certainly enhances accuracy. Since we used IMI hollow point ammo and were seldom shooting people at more than a dozen paces I cannot confirm, from personal experience Mr Hunts ideas. I do know, however, that tissue damage from shock increases in steps from velocity and in a linear fashoin with bullet frontal area.
A.223 bullet at 3000fps is going to produce 1/4 of the hydrostatic shock of a 7.62 bullet at 2850fps. A .223 bullet at 3300fps will produce almost the same shock as a 7.62 ball.

There is no argument to the 45-70. It simply cannot drive a bullet of enough sectional density fast enough for all conditions on elephant. with top load and the very best bullets it might do for buff. But in .45 cal you need to throw a 500grn bullet at a genuine 2100fps to call it a dangerous game bullet.

You need to throw a .400grn (.45 cal)bullet at 2500fps to qualify.

In 9,3 you need to throw a 286grn bullet at 2300fps to qualify or a 320 grn bullet at 2100fps- which the 9,3x62 9,3x74 and .360 NE do.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote