THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Philandering PH's - The Cassanovas of the Hunting world
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philandering PH's - The Cassanovas of the Hunting world
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I imagine there must be a few funny stories about that have come about over the years. I seem to recall a while back a story about a chap in a leopard blind that did not end well for him.
I suppose it must work both ways when Khaki fever gets the better of some.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
popcorn

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Bunny Allen was the original Cassnova PH who was quite open about it.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear reference to this every once in a while, what I never see is whether it cancels out one of the trophy fees for the hunter? a trophy for a trophy so to speak rotflmo

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bunny Allen

It would appear Bunny Allen lived quite some life!
Bunny Allen Died age 95

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a certain Zim PH who told me a tale about being orally seduced in a leopard blind by the client's wife, while the client snoozed. Apparently the client suffered from sleep apnea or some such thing. In any case, he said he was both thrilled and terrified. True or not, it was a great story. I'd have to dig out my journal for the details.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that link HQ, I enjoyed reading it. Bunny must have lived a great life.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sten Cedergren tells some tales in his book. Including repeated nights in the leopard blind with the hunter's wife ostensibly waiting for an uncooperative leopard to come in while they shared each other's company. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Bunny must have lived a great life.

And he put it all down in one of the poorest African hunting books ever.

I can absolutely guarantee that Bunny had enough great stories from his long career to fill several books. Unfortunately the stories he selected for Wheel of Life were more fit for letters to Penthouse than a hunting book.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JBrown. I have a signed copy of "Wheel of Life". By far one of the worst books on Africa and an absolute waste of money.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can't think of more unprofessional behavior that exhibited by these two idiots. And I am no prude by any stretch of imagination. To tap someone's wife while he is paying for your time is the lowest form of behavior IMO.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
To tap someone's wife while he is paying for your time is the lowest form of behavior

I can think of a few lower, but I am a sick bastard. Wink

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
can't think of more unprofessional behavior that exhibited by these two idiots. And I am no prude by any stretch of imagination. To tap someone's wife while he is paying for your time is the lowest form of behavior IMO.

465H&H

Ever heard of an AD?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There was an AR member whose PH and another in camp were talking about this guys great looking wife, etc etc and etc. A few year ago in Africans and low and behold you guessed right the client was fluent in the language. Do not remember any more.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

465H&H

Ever heard of an AD?

With which gun? One is for fighting one is for fun Big Grin

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
This is my rifle and this is my gun[/QUOTE]
One is for fighting one is for fun Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
If you guys can get your hands on Mike Cameron's book "My wanderings Through Africa" read Chapter 11 "Lust in the Dust".

Some hilarious stories on this topic.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Well, if Clark Gable can tag Grace Kelly AND Ava Gardner on one safari...Mogambo!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my last trip to Africa, knowing my PH's proclivities, I (1) explained the situation to my girl friend, who was accompanying me, and (2) invited the PH's wife and two children to accompany us for the first week, when we were hunting on private land managed by her brother-in-law. She and my girl friend became quite good friends.

After his family departed the PH got grouchier and grouchier, partly because his promised trophies did not materialize, but partly, I believe, because my girl friend did not respond to his masculine charms. Things got bad enough that I practically had a fist fight with him on the way back to Nairobi.

He is no longer with us, so I will never know if he accomplished his goal of seducing 100 of his clients' wives.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
Please give us the unedited and extended version....On second thoughts,I'm writing a book, please PM me!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever heard of an AD?

No...but I have heard of an A W!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36923 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Just remember there is no honor among thieves. Whilst the hounds are chasing tail in the bush, there are a dozen off-duty PH’s back in town sniffing around their girlfriend/wife.

The PH’s I have hunted with have been true gentlemen. You guys who took your wives have nothing to worry about. Probably. Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
Well, if Clark Gable can tag Grace Kelly AND Ava Gardner on one safari...Mogambo!

If you liked Mogambe, you need to see "Red Dust", also staring Clark Gable.

"Red Dust" was made in the 1930's, it is a lot better movie than "Mogambo". "Mogambo" is a remake of Red Dust, with Clark Gable playing the same role in both movies.

Red Dust takes place in Indochina.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If memory serves didn't Hemingway write a short story 'The Short Happy life of Francis McComber' and was it not made into a movie starring Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward. If I remember the PH didn't fare too well in it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH made out okay. Francis took a large (.505 Gibbs?) behind the ear.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
If memory serves didn't Hemingway write a short story 'The Short Happy life of Francis McComber' and was it not made into a movie starring Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward. If I remember the PH didn't fare too well in it.

Yes, he did. I've been looking for the movie but cant seem to find a copy.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maki:

Dean

Actually I think it was a 6.5 mm from the wife.

Entire short story large .pdf

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7612 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Dean

That would make more sense. The PH carried the Gibbs IIRC. I'll have to read the story again.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Philandering PH?? Only a complete idiot would try that with my missus and then have me walking behind him in the remote bush with a loaded rifle... How stupid can you be? AD indeed!
JCHB

Posts: 414 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The movie version was called "The Macomber Affair" and Greg is the PH. He's left to cover up for the "Memsahib's" little error of judgement in potting her husband, Robert ("The Music Man", "Victor, Victoria") Preston.

If the movie had been cast according to Hemingway's description, Peck would have been Macomber and the PH would have been played by someone like Jack Hawkins or Peter Finch.

Hemingway's description of the PH's "short, ugly, incredibly big-bored .505 Gibbs" began my lifelong interest in the caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Philandering PH?? Only a complete idiot would try that with my missus and then have me walking behind him in the remote bush with a loaded rifle... How stupid can you be? AD indeed!"

This observation does not take into account that all the members of the hunting staff, including trackers and gunbearers, are intensely loyal employees of the PH, and would not deal kindly with anyone who threatened, let alone injured or killed their boss, no matter what the justification might be. They are all armed too, at least with knives, and they know how to use weapons.

Since all of the action I have heard of occurs either in the PH's tent or, as mentioned, in a leopard blind, it seems obvious in most cases that the wife is a willing, if not eager, participant. What's a poor PH to do if, like Moses, he is confronted with Potiphar's wife, who will scream rape if he does not cooperate?

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
"Philandering PH?? Only a complete idiot would try that with my missus and then have me walking behind him in the remote bush with a loaded rifle... How stupid can you be? AD indeed!"

This observation does not take into account that all the members of the hunting staff, including trackers and gunbearers, are intensely loyal employees of the PH, and would not deal kindly with anyone who threatened, let alone injured or killed their boss, no matter what the justification might be. They are all armed too, at least with knives, and they know how to use weapons.

Since all of the action I have heard of occurs either in the PH's tent or, as mentioned, in a leopard blind, it seems obvious in most cases that the wife is a willing, if not eager, participant. What's a poor PH to do if, like Moses, he is confronted with Potiphar's wife, who will scream rape if he does not cooperate?

It wasn't Moses it was Joseph. The PH could do the right thing (like Joseph) and run but probably most PHs (in that situation) stay put.

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Dean

Correct.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Btw, I forgot who posted the link, but thank you for posting the the story. Sometimes you forget just how good Hemingway really was until you go back read him again. I could almost hear their voices...

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

465H&H

oh, i don't know. i found out that my 2nd wife's psychiatrist was screwing her, while i paid for him to "treat" her depression. i ended up with divorce #2 and made sure that word got out around Provo(need i say a staunchly Mormon community). he ended up with no practice, a wife who divorced him, and he had to leave town. payback can be a real bitch. best days work i ever did.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13281 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanz2007:
It wasn't Moses it was Joseph. .

Of course it was Joseph. I was concentrating so much on spelling Potiphar's name right, I mixed up the prophets. Anyway, it happened in Egypt, which is part of Africa, as I recall.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would say if your wife or SO cheated on you in Africa, she is already doing it elsewhere or is at least predisposed to. So maybe a tip to the PH would be order - so he could testify favorably in your divorce hearing and you get it all versus 50/50.

I met a PH on my last trip whose wife left him for another PH (know to be a philanderer - they too are now parted). Since my PH and I had not met him before, we weren't sure what to say. So my PH asked if the philandering PH did him a favor. He said absolutely!!!

So think about that for a moment. A blessing in disguise to find the right woman, or give up women permanently and hunt the rest of your life!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3071 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote