THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Top Ten List: Things I Have Learned Hunting Dangerous Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Ten List: Things I Have Learned Hunting Dangerous Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
1. Start young. Borrow money, make the time, avoid making excuses to put off going.
2. Doing it with a double is at least twice as fun as doing it with a bolt gun.
3. "Git as close as y' can, laddie -- an' then git ten yards closer." Killing a buffalo at 100 yards is well . . . killing a buffalo. Killing a buffalo in the jesse at 25 yards is . . . hunting.
4. With apologies to the taxidermists, skip the fancy taxidermy and use the money on trophy fees.
5. Once you have decided that a particular caliber is "adequate", go up a caliber or two before the hunt.
6. Corollary of #5: Shot placement is great, but shooting something that will knock something on its tail . . . priceless.
7. Relax and enjoy the experience. Don't fret the small stuff, learn a few words of the local language, remember to laugh, don't leave your sense of humor at home, enjoy a sunrise [sunset], take a Polaroid camera . . . .
8. Get in shape, the more you can do the more you will enjoy the hunt.
9. Video tape your hunt. Pictures are wonderful, but a video is a whole different experience and way to relive a hunt.
10. Make sure your professional hunter has a Snomaster fridge installed in the Cruiser.

Mike

Posts: 21386 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of truth to what you say Mike. If I had all of my hunts to do over again, I would film them all and do a lot less taxidermy.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good points, but if I were to start over again I would have just kept my $ 800 375 H&H and not spent all that money on being a gun whore.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Excellent list, as usual you are spot on.

I started at 45 and have been on three DG hunts in three years and plan to make it four next year. If I die penniless a friend has promised to bury me.

Another item on the list for me was to get my wife involved. Katherine has been with me 2 of the three trips and now she is hunting. She understands why I enjoy it so much because she loves Africa also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I count the months/days to my first safari, I am reminded why I've been reading on AR for so long - topics like this one. I look forward to continuing my education.

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pray to be blessed with a two-three month position this summer. I would be at the rightful age of 20-21, and hope to learn the ranks.

I am hoping to get a greater appreciation for life and its bountiful blessings. We often take them for granted, and that is not something we should do.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Amen for starting young. At 23, my first trip to Africa changed my life forever.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Borrow money,

I know why I like you MJ... that warms the cockles of my cold banker heart!!! Might I add:

11. Be prepared to become hooked and/or addicted to the dejection that comes with hours of stalking only to be betrayed by the wind, to never really looking at plainsgame and deer hunting the same way again, the adrenaline rush of closing in for the final shot and the sheer exhilaration of success!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Start young. Borrow money, make the time, avoid making excuses to put off going.
4. With apologies to the taxidermists, skip the fancy taxidermy and use the money on trophy fees.
7. Relax and enjoy the experience. Don't fret the small stuff, learn a few words of the local language, remember to laugh, don't leave your sense of humor at home, enjoy a sunrise [sunset], take a Polaroid camera . . . .
10. Make sure your professional hunter has a Snomaster fridge installed in the Cruiser.

Mike,

I picked out the numbers from your list that I really think need to be stressed.

1. You could not be more correct. The earlier you can start hunting Africa the better. And yes borrow money if you have to. That's how I got there early on. If you wait around until you can afford it as well as your present lifestyle you'll probably never get there.

4. I think people particularly on their first safaris spend far too much money on elaborate taxidermy. I have some mounts from my first safari that I look at and say "Why did I do that".

7. This probably is the most important of all. Have fun! Don't miss the safari because you got focused on a goal.

8. Particularly if your embarking on some type of a tracking hunt. You owe it to yourself to be able to walk.

10. That fridge in the Cruiser is just so nice. When you've walked for hours you've never tasted anything as good as an ice cold Coke.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
. . . you've never tasted anything as good as an ice cold Coke.

. . . other than an ice cold Castle.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
. . . you've never tasted anything as good as an ice cold Coke.

. . . other than an ice cold Castle.

Mike..I like your style Wink

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I agree with 9 out of 10. And...each to his own so this is my personal quirkiness...but...I would rather have a whoopin' than have a camera man following me around in the bush.

Still pics of the before and aftermath are good enough for me. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know why I like you MJ... that warms the cockles of my cold banker heart!!! Might I add:

Russell,
You and Dee think just alike!

Except Dee is too tight to borrow the money!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane, on the cameraman. It is important to have one IMHO but most of all have one that "you never remember" what he has filmed. Mine did just that and when I saw the edited version I had no idea that he had even taken 95% of the footage.

Next, I learned that w/o a tracker (excellent as most are) no matter how good the hunter/PH are it is going to be a looooooong day.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
2. Doing it with a double is at least twice as fun as doing it with a bolt gun.
3. "Git as close as y' can, laddie -- an' then git ten yards closer." Killing a buffalo at 100 yards is well . . . killing a buffalo. Killing a buffalo in the jesse at 25 yards is . . . hunting.
5. Once you have decided that a particular caliber is "adequate", go up a caliber or two before the hunt.
6. Corollary of #5: Shot placement is great, but shooting something that will knock something on its tail . . . priceless.
9. Video tape your hunt. Pictures are wonderful, but a video is a whole different experience and way to relive a hunt.

Very well put Mike. I'm off to a good start. Young, 5 safaris under my belt and only a few African animals made it to my wall.

Things like leopard and ele will make it home, but how many gemsbok and kudu does one need in their house?

The cameraman comment is spot on as well.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russell,
You and Dee think just alike!

Lane,
You can't wash it off of us... even with lye soap and hot water!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next, I learned that w/o a tracker (excellent as most are) no matter how good the hunter/PH are it is going to be a looooooong day.

Depends on the PH. I actually did a whole hunt with out one...just me and the PH. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
There is a lot of truth to what you say Mike. If I had all of my hunts to do over again, I would film them all and do a lot less taxidermy.

True here, just the trophy room alone I had to build to house the mounts would have paid for a half dozen full bag 21 day hunts.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying my best Mike, to keep up with your list..

Started young (22).. now with 7 safaris at age 32.

Got a couple of hunts in now with the double.. you're right, it DOES add to the hunt in a special way!

Taxidermy is covered.. cuz I know a damn good one (ME!)

Having fun is what it's all about while on safari.. Without that, it would not be worth going.

Staying in shape is a passion of mine..

I've only had a couple of hunts filmed.. I found it distracting.. I'll stick with the stills.

Cold beer on the back of the Cruiser after a hot walkabout is a must!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You should never even know the cameraman is there, so it cannot be distracting if he knows what he's about. Most of mine have been licensed PH's themselves, so know how to stay out of the way, while getting great video.

I would add Rourk's comment: "Use enough gun!"

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I would add Rourk's comment: "Use enough gun!"

You could actually condense #5 and #6 into that one and leave room for another.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I was flipping through an old SCI magazine from 2005. Cabela's had cape buffalo hunts advertised at $6,900. They're almost double that now on their website. Sure wish my stock portfolio grew at that rate.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there is only one thing that I try to impress on clients, it's the following:

"TWO GREEN LIGHTS". Meaning, before pulling the trigger, you must be OK taking the shot, and the PH must be OK with it.

Many a hunt has been ruined because the PH said "SHOOT" and the client shot, but wasn't comfortable taking the shot, or felt pressured and shot too hastily. That then leads to a rather quiet campfire.

All the other stuff is secondary. If you remember this one thing, you will avoid a costly mistake.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote