THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man in Zimbabwe devoured by lions while showering
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man in Zimbabwe devoured by lions while showering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man in Zimbabwe devoured by lions while showering
Nov 2, 2010, 17:15 GMT

Harare - A Zimbabwean man was devoured by a pride of lions while taking a shower in a camp in the north of the country, a conservation body said Tuesday.

The man was attacked by the lions while using an outside shower at a fishing camp near Mana Pools National Park in the north of the country, Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwean Conservation Task Force (ZCTF) told the German Press Agency dpa.

Mana Pools is on the Zambezi river. The area is popular with hunting and fishing enthusiasts, most of whom stay in basic camps, with little protection against attack by wild animals.

The attack is the latest in a string of lion attacks in the area, according to Rodrigues.

Eight villagers were killed in a spate of lion attacks over a period of about two months earlier this year, he said. Those attacks only stopped when a pride of lions was killed.

Conservationists say the high level of wildlife poaching in Zimbabwe is robbing predators, like lions, of food and making animals more aggressive towards humans.

Antelope, which lions feed on, are regularly poached by local communities for bushmeat.

'If they've (lions) got no food, they're going to look for other ways of feeding the pride,' Rodrigues said.

Rodrigues also blamed the proliferation of fishing camps along the Zambezi for adding to human-animal conflict.

The camps encroach on the animals' environment, making them more hostile, he argued.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Z.C.T.F. Report

2nd November 2010

TRAGIC DEATH OF PETE EVERSHED

We have just received a horrifying report that Pete Evershed was attacked and killed by lions at Chitake Camp 2 in Mana Pools two days ago. Pete was apparently taking a shower when the lions attacked him. This follows closely on the heels of the deaths of Don Hornsby by an elephant in Matusadona and Steve Kok by a buffalo in Charara.

This recent trend of people being killed by wild animals is extremely disturbing and we would like to appeal to everyone to be vigilant when in a wildlife area. Wild animals are very dangerous and even more so now that they are traumatized because of the poaching and illegal hunting.

Our sincere condolences to Pete's wife, Liz and family on their tragic loss.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be frivilous but it it is a damn shame it was not Sir Robert.....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lionesss got a PH -Jannie Meyer and his appie last week as well in Chewore- they were looking for a wounded male when (as is usual) one of the bitches popped out and gave them both a hiding.

been a bad year in Zim for folk getting stomped, gored and chewed

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana - Has all this got to do with a decrease in lions prey animals or are all animals becoming more aggresive due to a large increase in poaching.

My theory for the increase in lion attacks on man in the valley - If a pride has +- 10 individuals, they will need to kill a buffalo for instance every 2 days which means about 180 buffalo per year. Can the present buffalo population sustain this? This obviously does not take into account those lost through poaching and hunting.Does anybody know the buffalo population at present in the valley.

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The zambezi Valley has always had a problem with man eating lions. The last european warden at Makuti got killed by one, and the first european hunter in the valley since the portuguese occupation - One Freddy Cruz was killed by a lion at Chirundu in 1902...over 100 people were killed while they were building the otto biet bridge over the zambezi in 1936/37...The Seventh day adventis mission (No Rukometchi research station) fought a 60 year war against man eating lions in the man pools area- it is nothing new.

On the biological front...the buffalo population of the Zambezi Valley halved between 1985 and 1995, mainly due to climatic factors. That population has never recovered.

The lions took a pounding in 1994/95 when FIV hit the valley and also 'VIP' safaris - An interesting initiative by the then Vice President that saw 62 Male lion taken out of Nykasanga in those two years just as the FIV epidemic was getting gowing. By 1996 pride size was up around 20 adults, many of them sick and the pride led by a sub adult male.

From 1997 onwards the lion population has been steadily recovering. Prey selcotion has shifteed and a fair number of young elephants are taken and a couple of Prides - notably around Chirundu have speciliased in this.

Three years ago we had a 'lion' incident on the proficiency exam - an old lioness at chimutsi dam went for one candidate when he was in the shower (dudley rodgers son) ..had a go at some of the camp workers around midnight and finally got smoked the next morning (by a candidate that was a bit short of cat experience Smiler). A couple of years before that a Leaner PH got eaten as he was walking back to the camp from the skinning shed in the early evening....(I got some awsome pics Wink)

so no...I think man eating is endemic especially as Chirundu is such a cesspool of iniquity and hyaenas and lions can always pick up a dead baby or dumped adult body on the town rubbish dump and so aquire the taste for man.

IF we had been able to stop the 'baby dumping' practices at Chirundu following the population crash in '96 we might have broken the cycle, but not now.

As for lionesses...In almost every case the male grunts and runs- and leaves a bitch to cover his tail. Seen this with man eating lion in the valley when on PAC work and when doing walk and stalk lion hunts using bushmen trackers on the edge of the kalahari. See Kippling...the female of the species....

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 'baby dumping' practices

The "folks" here at home are totally disbelieving when I tell them this kind of stuff. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: Are regular citizens in Zim [or other countries] alowed to buy a hunting license and go after wild game? Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but since 1999 at the same prices as a visitor. Prior to that there were areas reserved for citizen hunters.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic. Here is a rule I've learned about African bush hunting.

Always have a firearm within reach.

Outside showers - take a gun.
Evening stroll by the river - take a gun.
Checking the skinning shed - take a gun.
Poachers around - take a gun.
Sleeping in a tent or grass chalet - have a gun within reach of your bed.

Might add: walking in downtown JNB - take two guns, or simply don't do it.

Many animal attacks go unreported. Bad for business, don't you know? AR is likely one of the best places to hear of such. Outside showers or camps without fences are particularly subject to problems with the local wildlife. I've had incidents with cats, hippo and Ele over the years. If you need a gun now and it's 20 yards away, you could be SOL.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Man, what a thing to happen! Killed in an open air shower by a lion!

I confess that I have never had my rifle near at hand when showering in the open air while on safari.

Even in dangerous game country.

But it's probably a good idea to keep it handy.

Although with my luck, I'm sure it wouldn't matter. The damned lion would no doubt jump me when I had soap in my eyes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
During a recent trip to northern Moz, we were awoken whilst sleeping out by some roaring Lion. Boy was I wishing for my rifle that was awaiting permits back in Zim... Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
LionHunter: +1! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From here, it looks just a wee bit ahead of cancer on ways to die. That said, I am in no hurry to get to Heaven.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Interesting topic. Here is a rule I've learned about African bush hunting.

Always have a firearm within reach.

Outside showers - take a gun.
Evening stroll by the river - take a gun.
Checking the skinning shed - take a gun.
Poachers around - take a gun.
Sleeping in a tent or grass chalet - have a gun within reach of your bed.

Might add: walking in downtown JNB - take two guns, or simply don't do it.

Many animal attacks go unreported. Bad for business, don't you know? AR is likely one of the best places to hear of such. Outside showers or camps without fences are particularly subject to problems with the local wildlife. I've had incidents with cats, hippo and Ele over the years. If you need a gun now and it's 20 yards away, you could be SOL.

That's pretty much what I remember reading in Taylor's writings.

Once again I agree with Lion Hunter.

Is this becoming a habit? bewildered

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
To quote from one of the greatest movies ever made:

John, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
- Humphrey Bogart to Claude Rains in CASABLANCA, 1942

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man in Zimbabwe devoured by lions while showering.

We have just received a horrifying report that Pete Evershed was attacked and killed by lions at Chitake Camp 2 in Mana Pools two days ago. Pete was apparently taking a shower when the lions attacked him. This follows closely on the heels of the deaths of Don Hornsby by an elephant in Matusadona and Steve Kok by a buffalo in Charara.

This recent trend of people being killed by wild animals is extremely disturbing and we would like to appeal to everyone to be vigilant when in a wildlife area. Wild animals are very dangerous and even more so now that they are traumatized because of the poaching and illegal hunting.

At least the lions had a clean meal. What is horrifying and extremely disturbing if a hunter is killed by wild animals? He wants to kill those animals but they kill him, so what? Africa is really not for sissies.

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Why were the lions taking a shower? Wink

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Five lions in Zimbabwe kill businessman
AP

A conservation group says a pride of lions mauled to death a businessman who was on a fishing trip in northern Zimbabwe.

The group says Peter Evershed on Saturday was dragged from a shower by five lions at a remote bush camp on Zimbabwe’s northern border with Zambia.

Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force head Johnny Rodrigues told Zimbabwe’s Herald Online on Thursday that the 59—year—old screamed and tourists drove to the scene flashing lights to scare the lions. He said a safari operator intervened, firing a shot in the air that finally scared off the lions, but the throat gash was fatal.

Mr. Rodrigues said a surge in poaching and illegal hunting has made animals more aggressive.

Last month an elephant killed a visitor in a nearby area, and soon after a conservation activist died in a charge by a wounded buffalo.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine...Peter was no hunter, and not in an area where there is any legal hunting...photographic only.

I have posted this before but it was written about an incident in the same area in 1910...things haven't changed...

STILL was the camp so deathly still
That dry twigs snapped like the Whip of Doom,
And a pale, green moon climbed up the hill,
And the shadows lay, so cold, so chill,
Shimmering shreds of gloom.

Never a sound where the men were laid
Stretched and swathed on the earthy floor,
Save for a sigh when, half afraid,
A sleeper moved, at his dream dismayed,
And sank to his sleep once more.

The moon climbed up, and she poised on high,
And looked awhile in a cold disdain,
Flashed her searchlights 'thwart the sky,
Lit the river that rumbled by
And took her path again.

Still was the camp so cold, so still
In the dim dead hours before the dawn,
When a cry rang out to the far-off hill,
And marrow and bones went cold and chill,
And slumber was forsworn.

For a lion slunk in the deeper shade,
And his footfall thudded low so low
Over the grass of a tiny glade ;
Hardly a sound but the die was played,
And he took a man from the row.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Sunshine...Peter was no hunter, and not in an area where there is any legal hunting...photographic only.

Sorry, my fault, I didn't know that that poor man was just a tourist, I was under the impression that he was hunting dangerous game. Sorry once again.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crowded into parks by poachers, a lion attacks camper in Zimbabwe

A lion attack on a man in a Zimbabwe park illustrates a growing problem – illegal hunting is pushing animals into parks, where they are in close contact with humans.

By Ian Evans, Correspondent / November 5, 2010

Cape Town, South Africa

The death of a camper mauled to death by lions at a Zimbabwe game park highlights the country’s poaching crisis, a leading conservationist said.

Johnny Rodrigues said illegal hunting of lions, as well as prey such as impala and bison, is ‘traumatizing’ and forces those animals to encroach on public game parks, increasing the risk to humans.

Mr. Rodrigues, who is chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, said, “Poaching is a big problem in Zimbabwe – not just by professional hunters after animals like lions, but also local people after buck (deer) or bison for food.

“A lot of animals are becoming traumatized by it. They’re becoming more aggressive and are coming into contact with humans whereas before, when there were plenty of animals they’d shy away from us. We’re turning these hunters into scavengers.”

Businessman Peter Evershed, 59, was on holiday with his wife, brother-in-law and a friend at the Mana Pools National Park on the Zambezi River when he went to take an outside shower on Saturday night.

It is thought that a young male lion, followed by four other giant cats, attacked him while he was in the shower. By the time those traveling with him dashed to the shower, which was 125 feet from their tents, Mr. Evershed had suffered fatal neck injuries.

The Zimbabwean’s body was taken back to Harare, where his wife Liz appealed for clemency for the lions.

“The party raised the alarm and five cars arrived and they started firing but it was too late. He didn’t stand a chance," Rodrigues said.

Lions and other animals roam freely in the park, which is not fenced.

“We used to have a lot of impala and buffalo here, but they’ve been poached or killed over the years, so it’s forced the lions to come closer to humans," Rodrigues added.

“More people are also coming to national parks like Mana and there’s no limit to people coming in. They can walk around without guides and the lions see that. They are wild animals and will kill if they’re hungry – it’s natural to them.”

He said the area has seen a reduction in the number of prides (lion herds) – from 20 prides five years ago to about eight now – spurred on by poaching. Chinese buyers will pay $3,000 per kilogram for lion bones to grind down for medicine or wine.

Rodrigues's conservation group said eight people were killed by lions in rural areas of Zimbabwe between May and June, which resulted in some cats being killed in revenge.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

posted Hide Post
Having read through all the various posts in this thread, I'd like to share some information:
This incident took place at Chitake One campsite in the Mana Pools Game Reserve in Zimbabwe. There are only two campsites open to the public at Chitake, and one other campsite reserved for Operators, ie licensed Guides who take in clients. Chitake is named after the perennial spring that rises out of the ground close by. It is the only source of water for miles around, and in the dry season, is a life-saver for many animals, who are highly stressed by the heat and drought. Consequently, predators follow the prey animals to the spring.
This concentration of game, both prey and predator species, is one of the reasons people like going there, but it is not for the faint-hearted - there is NO electricity, NO ablutions, NO buildings, NO running water. You have to be completely self-sufficient. You have the privilege of being in a completely natural environment which, in order to thrive, requires only that mankind leaves it alone.
Some years ago, Chitake had a resident pride of lion of approx. 26. This pride no longer exists, and one of the reasons given to me for this was that the pride males have been shot by trophy hunters in the adjacent safari area. Without their pride males to hold and defend the pride's territory, the lionesses have lost their hunting grounds, and any existing cubs were almost certainly killed by incoming males. It is important to note that Mana Pools/Chitake is a game reserve. No hunting is allowed in it. Guns may only be carried by professionl hunters and guides to protect their clients. At the time of the attack on Pete Evershed, there was precisely ONE lioness remaining from the original pride. She had managed to rear her 4 cubs alone, they are about 2 years old, still sub-adults. The mother had abandoned them to consort with a big new male who had just moved into the area, and the cubs had been left to fend for themselves - inexperienced and immature hunters.
People who camp at Chitake do so because of their deep love of the bush and of animals found there. Pete Evershed did absolutely nothing wrong, but then neither did the hungry, immature lion who attacked him at dusk; unfortunately Johnny Rodrigues' observation about the poaching and hunting is quite right - the breakdown of the lions' pride structure due to the hunting of trophy males, and the scarcity of available prey animals contributed in no small measure to the delinquency of the adolescent lions who killed Pete. A sobering thought?

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honeybadger:

... Without their pride males to hold and defend the pride's territory, the lionesses have lost their hunting grounds, and any existing cubs were almost certainly killed by incoming males. ,,,

This may sound dumb, but I'm truly curious. Why would the lionesses lose their hunting grounds? Wouldn't those incoming males join up with them, continuing the pride?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Bill-

You just don't get it. It was the nasty, bad, evil hunters, who killed adult male Lions in a licensed hunting area, who are at fault for the victims demise. That and the fact he wasn't allowed to have one of those awful firearms with him for self-protection.

Strange first post for a newbie on a hunting forum such as AR. Honeybadger are you a troll? donttrollJust askin'.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Greetings Honeybadger, and welcome to the forum.

Are you affiliated with the Predator Research Project in the Valley?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having read through all the various posts in this thread, I'd like to share some information:
This incident took place at Chitake One campsite in the Mana Pools Game Reserve in Zimbabwe. There are only two campsites open to the public at Chitake, and one other campsite reserved for Operators, ie licensed Guides who take in clients. Chitake is named after the perennial spring that rises out of the ground close by. It is the only source of water for miles around, and in the dry season, is a life-saver for many animals, who are highly stressed by the heat and drought. Consequently, predators follow the prey animals to the spring.
This concentration of game, both prey and predator species, is one of the reasons people like going there, but it is not for the faint-hearted - there is NO electricity, NO ablutions, NO buildings, NO running water. You have to be completely self-sufficient. You have the privilege of being in a completely natural environment which, in order to thrive, requires only that mankind leaves it alone.
Some years ago, Chitake had a resident pride of lion of approx. 26. This pride no longer exists, and one of the reasons given to me for this was that the pride males have been shot by trophy hunters in the adjacent safari area. Without their pride males to hold and defend the pride's territory, the lionesses have lost their hunting grounds, and any existing cubs were almost certainly killed by incoming males. It is important to note that Mana Pools/Chitake is a game reserve. No hunting is allowed in it. Guns may only be carried by professionl hunters and guides to protect their clients. At the time of the attack on Pete Evershed, there was precisely ONE lioness remaining from the original pride. She had managed to rear her 4 cubs alone, they are about 2 years old, still sub-adults. The mother had abandoned them to consort with a big new male who had just moved into the area, and the cubs had been left to fend for themselves - inexperienced and immature hunters.
People who camp at Chitake do so because of their deep love of the bush and of animals found there. Pete Evershed did absolutely nothing wrong, but then neither did the hungry, immature lion who attacked him at dusk; unfortunately Johnny Rodrigues' observation about the poaching and hunting is quite right - the breakdown of the lions' pride structure due to the hunting of trophy males, and the scarcity of available prey animals contributed in no small measure to the delinquency of the adolescent lions who killed Pete. A sobering thought?

I have spent some time with an ex Sapi/ Manna Ranger that seems to think lion populations are as high as he has seen in about twenty years. Confused

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lion population in the valley took a hammering in 1994/95 season. VIP hunting by the (then) vice president took 23 mature males out of the area and FIV hit Zimbabwe for the first time.

Pride structure altered dramatically with much larger prides forming than was 'usual'.

A lion hunting moratorium was slapped on the valley for a few years and the prides have built up to about 90% of the 1993 estimate, and pride structure is approaching a more normal ratio (ie 1 male to 4 adult females in a pride)

One operators based at Chitake is convinced that lion populations are down and it is all the hyaena's fault. Norman Monks the Senior warden at Mana pools just finished a Ph.D on the lions and has documented how their numbers have significantly increased in the last five years . Normans Doctorate is available (but bloody boring reading).

in 2007 We had to shoot an old lioness on the proficiency exam in that area following two attacks. The year before a Learner Pro hunter got eaten there.

Man eating in that part of the Zambezi valley is endemic. Johnny wants all hunting banned.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

I say poppycock.

In wild Africa if you stand under a tree at night without any clothes on what do you think is going to happen to you?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
yuck jumping lol

fairgame,

I think I wet myself on that one. Well said! wave

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I say poppycock.

In wild Africa if you stand under a tree at night without any clothes on what do you think is going to happen to you?

Man, on my next trip I'm sleeping with my clothes on. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:

... Without their pride males to hold and defend the pride's territory, the lionesses have lost their hunting grounds, and any existing cubs were almost certainly killed by incoming males. ,,,

This may sound dumb, but I'm truly curious. Why would the lionesses lose their hunting grounds? Wouldn't those incoming males join up with them, continuing the pride?

Bill Quimby

Bill - Thank you for your comment, and curiosity. There is often a gap between the death of the pride/resident male and the arrival of new nomadic males who are strong enough to hold the area against other males. In addition, once a new male takes over, he will actively seek out and kill any existing cubs, because this causes the lionesses to come into heat so he can mate with them and sire cubs of his own.

It is imperative therefore that pride males be present long enough to allow the cubs that they do sire to reach maturity - a period of at least two years. Male sub-adults then are driven out of the maternal pride by their sire, to wander as nomads until, if they survive, they are strong enough to hold a territory of their own.

Otherwise, lionesses produce litter after litter of cubs which are doomed never to reach maturity, and breeding age. Given that 60% of lion cubs die even if their sire remains in place, it becomes obvious that lion populations are far from secure.
Pride males provide cohesion and stability to the pride; without them, the pride tends to fragment, and lionesses become very stressed and wary in an attempt to avoid new males, and protect any cubs they do have. They try to keep a very low profile.

I hope this helps.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Bill-

You just don't get it. It was the nasty, bad, evil hunters, who killed adult male Lions in a licensed hunting area, who are at fault for the victims demise. That and the fact he wasn't allowed to have one of those awful firearms with him for self-protection.

Strange first post for a newbie on a hunting forum such as AR. Honeybadger are you a troll? donttrollJust askin'.

Mike
Thank you for your response. As far as I know, I'm not a troll!! Being a Honeybadger suits me fine, thanks!!
Why did you think my post was strange?
Do you really think hunters are nasty, bad and evil? I don't, and I know several - they're actually very nice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

I have spent some time with an ex Sapi/ Manna Ranger that seems to think lion populations are as high as he has seen in about twenty years. Confused

I hope he is right! All I can say is I was there (at Chitake Two) at the beginning of October 2010, a few weeks before the attack on Pete Evershed; my information is based on what the current operator there told me, personal observation, and some pretty extensive research. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Honeybadger
I hope he is right! All I can say is I was there (at Chitake Two) at the beginning of October 2010, a few weeks before the attack on Pete Evershed; my information is based on what the current operator there told me, personal observation, and some pretty extensive research. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Whatever the operator told you and your personal observation are all anecdotal. Please enlighten us as to your "extensive research", such as where, when, why and how it was conducted. Did you apply the scientific method to validate the results of said research, and if so, where, when, why and how was the validation study conducted and by who? Who sponsored (funded) this research you did and is there any university or group affiliation? Has your research been published, and if so where might it be found?

Answering these questions may or may not give you some creds on this forum and ultimately determine your troll status. Including your location would also be nice.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I hope he is right! All I can say is I was there (at Chitake Two) at the beginning of October 2010, a few weeks before the attack on Pete Evershed; my information is based on what the current operator there told me, personal observation, and some pretty extensive research. Thanks.

And I too hope he is right and your source is incorrect as a major portion of the funding for the running of Lower Zambezi wilderness (including Manna Pools National Park and its Safari areas) are subsidised by hunting Safaris.
I would imagine the overall game populations and wilderness would be in trouble without this funding and left up to the local community's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honeybadger...who doing the extensive research? Norman monks did his doctorate on the lions in the valley and only finished a year ago. I was in mana 6 weeks ago and certainly on the floodplain it is bvious Norman has got his facts right.

Norman started off anti Hunting and beliving the lions were in trouble, but over a decade of properly structured an supervised field work bought him round.

And then you have Steve Pope who belives that the lions are in trouble and it is all because parks won't burn and there are too many hyaenas and hunters. Stev hijacked Ian Nyschens trust for his own personal use and refuses to submit his 'research' to scientific review...

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Honeybadger:

It’s widely known and well documented that wild male felines, including African lions, will kill the young of their own species. Whether they knowingly do this to force females into estrus is yet to be proven, in my opinion.

If 60% of a pride’s cubs die even if their sire remains in place, this means 40% will survive. Given the number of cubs born to a pride, how would this make lion populations less than secure? It seems to me that all that is needed to continue the pride unit into perpetuity is to replace the adults that are lost each year.

Producing litter after litter of cubs that are doomed to never reach breeding age may seem cruel to we sentimental humans (and frustrating to the lioness) but, again, it should not be a threat to the survival of a population if enough survive to replace the few adults that are lost.

It also seems to me that it is a good thing that lionesses become wary and avoid new males to protect their cubs.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
While we are on the subject, how many male lions are on quota for the Lower Zambezi Safari areas?
Including the following areas; Charara, Rifa, Hururgwe(Nyakasanga-Makuti), Sapi, Chewore, Doma and Dande.
Thanks in advance.
Adam.