New
Find
Notify
Tools

CRF actions for DGR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, I read the recent posts on "Would you consider a Blaser as a DGR". There were lots of interesting opinions! However if you limit yourself to currently available control round feed actions for dangerous game rifles, how do they rate? As far as I know there are Mauser, Granite Mountain Arms, Empire Rifles, Dakota 76, Heym Express Magnum, Ruger M77 and CZ550. There may be others I am not aware of. What do those of you who hunt and guide for dangerous game to make a living have to say?

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338User,
You have scratched a topic that has probably been discussed 100 times on this board. It is broad, sometimes emotionally driven, and there are facts to support both sides of the argument. I suggest you spend a little time looking around the features of the website (search, find and tools) and take a look back at some previous discussions.

Your questions is a valid one and one that comes up regularly. Many long time posters will likely not respond due to the number of times this has been discussed. Let summarize what you will likely read or hear -

1. CRF is usually preferred by PH's and experienced hunters - the actions are usually a Mauser or Model 70 or Ruger type. They are used for reliability reasons.

2. Push feeds are also used by a lower percentage of hunters and PH's.

3. The action is not nearly so important as bullet placement.

4. The caliber is not nearly so important as bullet placement.

5. Bullet type is important. Use "fit for purpose bullets" in a gun you can shoot straight.

Good luck on your search, you will find several hours of fun and humorous reading....

PS - Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot here and have some fun.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
OH no! Here we go again! Big Grin

Just kidding, 338User. dogcat's advice is golden. Read, and take your pick!

I'm one, who will never use a push feed for a DGR, but there are plenty of folks here who will, and do, and they are still alive!

Welcome here, and don't take some of the banter for anger, it is passion, not anger till some one gets personal, that is! Then it's "Saturday night in Sioux City"

..... hammering BOOM mgun

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I didn't think of using the search function, it was quite instructive. I should probably delete the post.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR 338User. Don't delete your post. Let it ride. You may get some useful feedback. Mac did not mean to hurt your feelings.

I agree with Mac that dogcat's comments are golden.

Look forward to seeing you on many topics thumb

B

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym Express in .416 Rigby, so I am interested in this thread to see what experienced hunters think of it. I certainly agree with everything dogcat wrote.

I only have one safari under my belt, with Cape buffalo and plains game. Shot the buffalo with a .470 NE double and everything else with a Remington Custom Shop .375 H&H. Extractor broke on day five. I will say this though it was an accurate rifle.

I'm going back to Zimbabwe next year, and I'm taking the .470 NE and the Heym, or possibly my Dakota .375 H&H.

I sold all of my Remingtons and I personally would never use a push feed again. I have 100% confidence in the Heym, Dakota, Winchester, Kimber, and Rugers that I own. I'd like to own an Empire rifle someday.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Welcome... wave

Always room for another good Ausies on the forum thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote