THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African Hunting book to read first
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African Hunting book to read first
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks, Been following the African Hunting Form for a few years now. Ive watched Saeeds and other AR members great adventures you have been kind enough to post, (thanks).
I have been stalking and shooting for the best part of fifty years and now want to buy/read my first African Hunting Book.
Now I know this might be a tall order to ask, but which one (in print) would you recommend I start with.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter by Ruark.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Make sure you read all of Bill C's hunt reports here.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

+1

followed by Use Enough Gun.

Next would be Hunter, by J.A. Hunter.

If you can find a copy, James Mellon's "African Hunter" is a good read.

You would also probably enjoy Capstick's books Death in the Long Grass, etc. although that usually triggers a lot of BS posting. Bottom line, does not matter what anyone thinks about him, his books are entertaining.

Boddington's Mt.Kenya to the Cape is worth a look, as well as his Safari Rifles and others.

There are many good books out there and a lot of new ones. Of the newer ones, query Peter Flack and have a look at his books……… tons of good information by a very experienced hunter.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Months of the Sun by Ian Nyschens. Out of print and very pricy on paper, but available on Kindle for $21.49.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Take your pick! Wink

More seriously anything by

Ruark

Capstick

Hemingway

Hunter

Sanchez Arino

Yung (Half Fast Hunter)

Lake

Robertson

Boddington

Or for India:

Corbett

Sher Jung

That's just the ones that spring to mind. I'm sure you'll get plenty more suggestions. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What, no recommendation for a book by Steve Robinson? Smiler

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your first book I am going to vote for "Death in the Long Grass". Right or wrong without that book a lot of us wouldn't be here.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
What, no recommendation for a book by Steve Robinson? Smiler

Modesty would usually forbid but at the risk etc Wink

http://www.lulu.com/shop/steve...5BD7095D8016F2EA40AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington's books are a great place to start. From Mount Kenya to the Cape, Where Lions Roar, and Tracks Across Africa are great books. As mentioned above, Horn of the Hunter is fantastic.

Some other books which I think are great but a less frequently heard of are Along the Hunters Path by Kai Uwe Denker and the books by Fred Duckworth and Steve Christensen. Mr. Denker's book might be my favorite of the whole lot.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'd recommend 'The Half Fast Hunter' by Bill Yung as a good first read because it has a lot of great humour mixed in with down to earth, real life experiences. tu2

My own book (mentioned above) would explain how the African hunting industry works but it might not be the best first read about African hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

UEG Ordered from Amazon US. less than $30.00
NOT EVEN LISTED ON UK AMAZON.
Frostbit. Followed Bill C 's reports, exceptional, especially his father and son Safaris. And the photography!!!!jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Months of the Sun or any book by Richard Harland.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1st was Horn Of the Hunter.
So far it's cost me what I paid for my house in safaris, with hopefully many more to come.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old school: FC Selous, Roualeyn Gordon Cumming, William Finaughty, C.H. Stigand, William Cornwallis Harris ... hell, take your pick: http://www.rowlandward.com/con...id=72&ProdCatMain=17

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
Old school: FC Selous, Roualeyn Gordon Cumming, William Finaughty, C.H. Stigand, William Cornwallis Harris ... hell, take your pick: http://www.rowlandward.com/con...id=72&ProdCatMain=17

Now you are talking.

Funny enough, I have never found Ruark's books to be very interesting at all.

In fact, I have stopped reading it half way through.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My first African hunting book was hunter by JA Hunter. I was about 14 yrs old.

A more recent acquisition which I think is top class is Brian Herne's book - a great research and summary of the great white hunters.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Naki:

White Hunters is an incredibly good book. I've been fortunate enough to correspond with Mr. Herne a bit. The book is indispensable for the African hunting library in my opinion.

First books: Lots of Capstick. One I found very enjoyable was The Last Ivory Hunter.

I thought Blixen's book very well done and interesting, and JA HUnter's as well.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Start reading and next thing you know, you going to hunt there and then you're screwed
It's like heroin addiction
Good luck or maybe I should feel sorry for you?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say, of you want to keep it light, Capsticks books.

The some John Pondoro Taylor.

The Harland's "Ndlovu"

Ron Thomson's "Mohohoba" (SP?)

The Harland's "The Hunting Imperative."

Nychesns "Months of the Sun" and "Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter."

Hemingway's short story "The Short Happy Life of Francis McComber"

Ruark never thrilled me. I usually like Hemigway, but "The Green Hills of Africa" was boring to me.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the above recommendations are great. I've read most and the majority are in my library. That said, for a first time hunter, Horn Of The Hunter by Ruark is a great read as it discusses the transformation of a novice into a (somewhat)experienced African hunter. Some very humorous parts as well.

For example, when Selby and Ruark return to camp late at night, tired, dirty, fly-bitten and otherwise soiled, Virginia looks up from the book she is reading by the fire and says, "Buffalo again. Idiots." Ain't that the truth?

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ALL for your advice. These books to read may cost me time on AR. Wink

boarkiller, I doubt very much I shall ever make it to Africa but I will continue to enjoy the experience of all your Safaris, and now all the books I will read.

Have a hard enough time tolerating the Scottish Midge never mind the African insect life. Big Grin jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

+1

You would also probably enjoy Capstick's books Death in the Long Grass, etc. although that usually triggers a lot of BS posting. Bottom line, does not matter what anyone thinks about him, his books are entertaining.

Boddington's Mt.Kenya to the Cape is worth a look, as well as his Safari Rifles and others.

There are many good books out there and a lot of new ones. Of the newer ones, query Peter Flack and have a look at his books……… tons of good information by a very experienced hunter.

Skyline,Interesting that Amazon US say that folk who buy 'Horn of the Hunter' also buy 'Death in the Long Grass' $43.00 for both. jc

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:
quote:

+1

Skyline,Interesting that Amazon US say that folk who buy 'Horn of the Hunter' also buy 'Death in the Long Grass' $43.00 for both. jc

JC…… interesting. In a way it is not really surprising as both books are synonymous with African hunting, consequently lots of people recommend reading them. Once people really get into the Africana hunting books they expand into other authors, both from the old days and newer.

A bit of a craze has developed over the last decade or so and every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be cranking out African hunting books. There is beginning to be a glut of them on the market.

No shortage or reading material I can assure you. Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:

Now you are talking.

Funny enough, I have never found Ruark's books to be very interesting at all.

In fact, I have stopped reading it half way through.

Agreed. He was a Hemingway wannabee.
I preferred Selous - "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa" As my all time #1.

I have read about 200 Africa/hunting/history books over the past years and Selous is at the top of my list.

If you want a good story, the Capstick and Ruark are very good story tellers.

For a feel of Africa, there are hundreds.

One of the best modern writers is Peter Flack. He writes from the heart and gives a great "feel" for modern African hunting.

The old days writers are good and recommendations so far are all good.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can understand why many people here like Ruark.I feel that they have one thing in common with him and that is they go hunting to Africa not because they have a passion for hunting,shooting or rifles but because they want a glamorous vacation or want to be around a certain crowd...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Ruark, Hemmingway, Hunter, and Bell. My favorite book is "Months of thr Sun" by Ian Nyschens, But the one that started the fire in my heart was "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Capstick. I would vote for him to start my African library.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari by Bartle Bull

Editorial Reviews
Library Journal
Bull's 1988 volume chronicles the history of the African safari from its 1830s origin, plus the ethics of hunting and modern conservationist concerns. The text profiles the great hunters, most of whom were wealthy British and European colonials for whom Africa was a lawless playground unencumbered by the Victorian bindings of home. Bull also tracks how the safari has been portrayed in literature through the writings of Isak Dinesen, Teddy Roosevelt, and Papa Hemingway, as well as by Hollywood. The role of women in the male-dominated affair also gets ample coverage, with amusing pix of very proper British ladies in long skirts and gloves standing next to hulking beasts they've dispatched with rifles the size of a howitzer. Miraculously, a small cadre of holdouts is keeping the safari alive, but with many of the once abundant game animals on endangered species lists, camera have replaced rifles, and with Africa's unstable political climate, the great hunts are all but history. The text is buttressed by numerous illustrations and photographs. Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:
quote:

+1

I am a huge reader and 30 year practicing PH, Ruark's HORN OF THE HUNTER, USE ENOUGH GUN AND MELLON'S AFRICAN HUNTER exactly fit the bill - where to start reading about Africa...

JC…… interesting. In a way it is not really surprising as both books are synonymous with African hunting, consequently lots of people recommend reading them. Once people really get into the Africana hunting books they expand into other authors, both from the old days and newer.

A bit of a craze has developed over the last decade or so and every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be cranking out African hunting books. There is beginning to be a glut of them on the market.

No shortage or reading material I can assure you. Wink

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Difference is from a literary point of view Ruark was way up there. Hemingway is one of my favourites but he never achieved his best writing when depicting Africa, unlike Islands in the Stream or For Whom the Bells Toll. If you have ever fished for big game fish the above mentioned IitS is one of the great books. Lots of facile, max decently written stuff out there on African Hunting, very little really good writing.

On the subject of good writing - Into the Thorns by an old comrade - Wayne Grant - is one of the best written pieces in recent hunting literature.

Just my $.10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good mate, deceased and published author Keith Meadows, always used to say that when reading Ruark "you could smell the grass seeds in the radiator"

True story...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have read in order of favorite
Horn of the Hunter/Ruark
Months of the Sun/Nyschens
Man-Eaters of Kumaon/Corbett
White Hunter/J.A. HUnter
Green Hills of Africa/Hemingway
Death in the Long Grass/Capstick
Death in Silent Places/Capstick
One Mans Wilderness/Warren Page

I just got 4 Books form Abes books online...nice because I got used hardback copies of hard to find books.(one came from India. My Roosevelt book is in a old hardback black textured cover with a Gold medallion of Roosevelt on cover.
I just received Wanderings of An Elephant Hunter, Pondoro Last of the Ivory Hunters, and The Works of Theodore Roosevelt Vol IV. African Game Trails.

Posts: 65 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
JTHunt:tu2

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Don't need no stinking books, just get any and all of Mark Sullivan's DVDs to get the "real" African story.

rotflmo

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
F. C. Selous - Travel & Adventure in South-East Africa

J.A. Hunter - Hunter

John Taylor - African Rifles and Cartridges

W.D.M. Bell - Bell of Africa

These and others of their ilk and era are my favourite books that defined the birth of African hunting for the white hunter. Some of these authors also give some insight into the colonisation of the many African states.

The authors of these books are oft quoted on this forum and while their many adventures may not reflect safari hunting as we know it today, or more precisely can do it today, nevertheless they do provide us with a window into old Africa where it all began.

Personally I prefer the writing style of these hard and adventurous men with their matter of fact narration of their hunting and observations in Africa to the many fabricated and embellished, and said by some, fraudulent, writings of some of the 'modern' authors.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

or Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway. You really can't go wrong with either. Regardless of which you go with first I would make them 1 and 2. Both are fabulous writers writing about their first safaris.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living here in Southport, NC where Ruark spent a lot of time as a child with his grandfather makes me lean toward Horn of the Hunter. But I honestly think Death in the Long Grass is tough to beat for a first ever African book.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say Hunter by JA Hunter is my favorite. Followed by The Last Ivory Hunter, about wally johnson written by capstick.

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I can understand why many people here like Ruark.I feel that they have one thing in common with him and that is they go hunting to Africa not because they have a passion for hunting,shooting or rifles but because they want a glamorous vacation or want to be around a certain crowd...

I am confused. If one is on a 1x1 hunt with a PH on a Safari, how are they going to be around a certain crowd?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote