THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African Hunting book to read first
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African Hunting book to read first
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I would not call Hemingway a boring read.I think his book on Africa was boring but the war stuff like "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was excellent.IMO,some of the books posted above are really boring.

Well since the topic is: "AFRICAN HUNTING BOOKS" that's what I was referring to!! (Green Hills of Africa & True at First light). Both good cures for insomnia...but of course that's just my opinion. Others may find them totally fascinating read. But I do like the Old Man & the sea. Great story.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Nearly all of the preceding suggestions are excellent, and I have most in my library. However, I have enjoyed Africa more after learning more of the political history, geology, economics, etc. An excellent book that includes all is Africa: A Biography of the Continent. Can't recall the author, but he is a journalist. The book is paperbound, in print and easily available for a few dollars/pounds. Use it as a reference, or just pick it up and read a bit now and again.

Also: In Brightest Africa, by Carl E. Akeley. He was a taxidermist, did the elephants in the entry of the New York Museum of Natural History, and many of the dioramas there. He accompanied Roosevelt on his famous safari. Akeley didn't like to hunt, but did so as a necessity. The story of how his wife saved his life on one of their safaris is worth the price of the book. Out of print, but likely available at an affordable price on the used market. Try Abe Books.

When A Crocodile Eats the Sun, by Godwin. Great view of modern Zimbabwe. Godwin is a competent journalist.

Short stories by Doris Lessing. Can't recall the title of the collection. Mostly stories of colonial days in Kenya. She passed away just recently. Social and political history in an entertaining form.

"He that hath drunk of Africa's fountains will drink again." Old Arab Proverb, quoted by Akeley. Probably not true. I've only been ten times.
Brice

Thanks for mentioning "Biography of a Continent." It's certainly not a hunting book, but it is a wonderful overview of the history of the continent from its geological formation to the present. It has been among the books I have read prior to each of my hunting trips to Africa.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I would not call Hemingway a boring read.I think his book on Africa was boring but the war stuff like "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was excellent.IMO,some of the books posted above are really boring.

Sorry, but I have never understood the fascination with Hemingway. I have read several of his books, including reading a couple more than once. Sort of like how your mom made you eat liver even though it made you gag-- shoot, it made her gag!-- because it was supposed to be good for you. I read some in college and read some on my own. I even read one translated into Chinese.
So I can honestly say I have given him more than a fair shake and I find myself firmly in the "he's boring" camp. His writng style is "spare" to the point of non-existant. His misogyny is offensive and most of the stories themselves are just plain boring. The only thing I ever read that I enjoyed was The Old Man and the Sea.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green Hills was ok. True At First Light was simply horrid, but he didn't finish it. It's basically an x-rated rewrite of Green Hills and it's just not well-written.

Snows of Kilimanjaro was pretty good. Still like a Short Happy Life the best of Hemingway's African stuff.

Anything by Hunter is wonderful. Same for Ruark, in my opinion. Anything by Selous is a classic. I like all of the old books and pick them up at every opportunity.

I also like books on African politics, wars, genocide, terrorism, etc., but that is a bit redundant.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Safari by Bartle Bull

A great overview of the major explorers and hunters of the era.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote