Find
Notify
Tools

Why do they do it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well, there was a time or two when a change in the status quo wasn’t formally announced.

Elephant once surrounded our leopard blind, and on another occasion, wild dogs surrounded our leopard blind.

But in both instances, a clearly audible “thunk, thunk“ of .500s being dropped into the chambers of the double rifle, appropriately announced the change in status quo.

Happily, I am not so deaf as to have missed those signals.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Well, there was a time or two when a change in the status quo wasn’t formally announced.

Elephant once surrounded our leopard blind, and on another occasion, wild dogs surrounded our leopard blind.

But in both instances, a clearly audible “thunk, thunk“ of .500s being dropped into the chambers of the double rifle, appropriately announced the change in status quo.

Happily, I am not so deaf as to have missed those signals.

Andrew is a good PH, who takes care of business. I would hunt with him blind folded, and feel perfectly safe in the bush! He knows safety is no 1 priority if you want to live long enough to retire with all your parts intact.

…………………………………………………. oldMac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Very interesting topic, especially for someone like myself that has military training. I can honestly say no one likes being swept with a muzzle of a weapon. Soldiers take it seriously and didn’t need our own trying to harm us. Quick story while I was in Iraq. I was riding passenger in the new 2.5 ton LMTV. Another convoy from the same camp was over taking us. A gunner in a HMMWV wasn’t paying attention as the vehicle overtook us. The barrel of the .50 Cal took out the side view mirror of the LMTV. So I was basically within 2 feet of the end of the barrel. Scared the living hell out of me. Later that evening in the chow hall a few of those convoy soldiers joke about it. Went full tilt on all of them. Outside the chow hall their LT tried to apologize and lit him up as well.

My PH told me to lose the sling and carry muzzle down (low ready) position. I’ve also used a piece of electrical tape at muzzle end (on certain trips) to keep debris from accidentally falling in.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote