Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Holy crap on that video

Well, not literally crap on that video...you know what I mean

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He got a lot closer when we were rowing. Also had some fun with a croc that wasn't quite dead on the same day.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Please excuse the quality of the picture, but it's a picture of a picture from a safari long ago in Burkina Faso.

I've posted it several times before, but, especially since it was on my first trip to Africa and my first experience with elephants outside of a zoo.... it got my attention:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I love this pic...although at this particular moment I think it's the elephant who is thinking "oh shit."

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Mike

Posts: 21689 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired physician. A number of years ago, while examining a new patient, I noticed extensive scarring on his arms. It seems that he had been a Marine Corps pilot in Vietnam flying ground support (an F4 Phantom, low and slow). He was hit by ground fire and had to eject at low altitude with his plane disintegrating around him. He then asked me if I knew what EVERYONE said when they pulled the ejector handle. I confessed ignorance.

Just one word---SH*T! (Not "Oh SH*T", or dammit or anything else.

From this and personal experience, I have come to the conclusion that SH*T is the root word of the English language. It is what you use when you have time for only one word.

Seems like eles figure high in people's "oh sh*t" moments here.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I saw this on film, and that scene is not as hairy as when the last shot was fired on that elephant! Mike can handle that 500NE double!

.................................................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Please excuse the quality of the picture, but it's a picture of a picture from a safari long ago in Burkina Faso.

I've posted it several times before, but, especially since it was on my first trip to Africa and my first experience with elephants outside of a zoo.... it got my attention:

Looking at the fletching in the lower right makes me want to name this shot......"Wrong weapon".

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...57109671/m/823102086

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

That photo is of Don Heath and his "Oh Sh!t" moment. If I remember correctly the elephant fell on him after the shot and broke Don's arm.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
YEs I believe he tripped right at the last moment, I think. An amazing picture for sure.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I saw this on film, and that scene is not as hairy as when the last shot was fired on that elephant! Mike can handle that 500NE double!

.................................................................. tu2

And the camera always makes things look further away than they actually are. Great footage and a great demo of the 500's stopping power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While hunting in DSA with CM Safaris last September, My PH Blake Wilhelmi and I were working our way along a rock ledge to get a look at a spring. The ledge was about 3 feet wide with a 20 foot drop to the spring below. With about 10 yards left to go on the ledge, we were confronted by a Black Momba.We froze, and after raising up and looking at us for a few very long seconds it slithered off. Glad one of the trackers weren't in front of us.

Bob

posted Hide Post

Posts: 16 | Location: MT | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Trenka:

I might have needed to change clothes after this!!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:

You owe us the story!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the video of that leopard charge but, I can't remember where.

Hopefully Ryan will put up a link to it and give us the story!!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I posted the video link here a while back and gave the whole story. If you search Botswana leopard charge you'll get the story and all the "feedback" one tends to get on forums. The hunt was tremendous and scary all rolled up into one! Three days of tracking this particular cat. It started killing indiscriminately and was a local legend. Jeff Rann kept saying, when we finally catch up to him he's going to come, no matter what, and he did! Watch the video and let me know what you think.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Here Kitty, Kitty!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFTER? shocker
Hell, I need to change my pants just looking at the picture.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted the video link here a while back and gave the whole story. If you search Botswana leopard charge you'll get the story and all the "feedback" one tends to get on forums. The hunt was tremendous and scary all rolled up into one! Three days of tracking this particular cat. It started killing indiscriminately and was a local legend. Jeff Rann kept saying, when we finally catch up to him he's going to come, no matter what, and he did! Watch the video and let me know what you think.

Hell of a video. Most real good oh shit moments dont get captured on film, and that was a good one...tell me, were your pants not even a bit squishy afterwards?

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its amazing how everything slowed, I heard him coming, reacted, seemed like I had dozens of thoughts fire through the brain with perfect clarity. I vividly remember thinking of what to do when he got in the truck... But when he was finally down we were all shaking, many moments of just standing there uttering "did that just happen?". We timed it and everything from growl to the 7th shot was I believe 1.7 seconds. One person described it as a "living roadside bomb" with all due respect to the military men and women.
Then we drank! A lot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boondoggle:
Ryan's video

http://youtu.be/jcyvV4k8hY8?t=3m18s
something wrong with that link..

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the link now. I tried to get the video to start at the charge in the previous link.

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its amazing how everything slowed, I heard him coming, reacted, seemed like I had dozens of thoughts fire through the brain with perfect clarity. I vividly remember thinking of what to do when he got in the truck... But when he was finally down we were all shaking, many moments of just standing there uttering "did that just happen?". We timed it and everything from growl to the 7th shot was I believe 1.7 seconds. One person described it as a "living roadside bomb" with all due respect to the military men and women.
Then we drank! A lot!

INCREDIBLE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And GREAT footage beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That being Africa, what about the driver of that cruiser who would have been on the right side, UNDER the leopard or maybe he had time to roll the window up, like glass would stop that cats rear legs!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boondoggle:
Try the link now. I tried to get the video to start at the charge in the previous link.
Thanks - works now. Very exciting, well done!! tu2

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
While many/all of you have been "in the s**t" a hundred times over compared to me, this one got my attention!

My wife and I were in the PH's pick-up, stopped with the motor off. We had finished up our plains game safari and went to take some photos of this fellow and some buffalo on a farm in the area. About 5 minutes after we were sitting there, he decided he didn't much care for that "large, white buffalo" and came for us in a "spirited" run. The PH said exactly that- "oh s**t" and started the truck and off we roared.

Looking back, it's funny to see this photo, as the rhino doesn't appear to be in motion... nor did he in the four subsequent photos we took as he was getting EVER closer! I had to stop taking photos as the PH was bounding across the open field at about 40 MPH.

Our vary own Marius Goosen hires some damn good PH's (we were hunting with Marius and his outfit), and boy do they ever know how to drive stick! All I could think was "please, dear God- don't pop the clutch and stall us!" I asked Louw, the PH, if he has ever had a rhino connect on him while in the truck. He replied cooly and in that great accent: "Yaayess. I was in a similar situation with a client photographing a cow with her calf and she got quite cross. Picked up the rear of the truck off the ground by the bumper and gave the truck a good shake."

-John

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Here's one more- a video I took while at Addo Elephant Park. I can only imagine the horror experienced if I was driving that econobox tin death trap!

http://s1163.beta.photobucket....atAddovsCar.mp4.html

-John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Who says white rhino are all docile?

Posts: 10324 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the one I saw on tv. Ivan Carter was facing a charging lion, after the second shot he turned to the camera and said, "that my friend is why you carry a double".
I saw it again, I think it was a Hornady bullet commercial.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
None too pleased here!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
Ivan Carter was facing a charging lion ...

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WJcYpNR0Q

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine from Zimbabwe in 2004. This is truly terrifying!! tu2

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
No time to take photo before, after the attack.
Mamba came to a knife fight and I brought an elephant gun. Six feet... Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Oh SH*T"...isn't that what Pierre says when he sees it's you getting off the plane again? :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Here's mine from Zimbabwe in 2004. This is truly terrifying!! tu2

yuck