New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra with 300 RUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you think the 300 RUM shooting 200gr partition would be enough for Zebra? Has anyone shot a Zebra with a 300 in the Heart, Leg or lungs?

I'm going to S. Africa in July and would like to know if a 300 is enought for plains game.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra are plenty tough. It is a tradition for me to hunt them every time I go. They are great fun to hunt. I have had success 5 times with
300 win mag shooting 180 gr. Hornadys. BUT I only took broadside shoots that got to the heart. I passed up opportunities that a tougher bullet would have given me. My 375 with 300gr NPs is alot more impressive to them.
G'luck

Posts: 29 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one through the lungs with a 180 grain partition. It ran about 50 yards and died.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jro45,

I shot zebra usually with heavier calibers than the 300 but I did shoot one with a frontal chest shot with a 300 Win Mag and a 180 NP. He ran about 200 yards and crashed. So I guess the 300 Ultra with the 200 NP would work just fine as long as the real bad angle shots were avoided.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Go for it just dont go for a bad angle. Zebras are tough but not invinsible shot placement is no. 1

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
Do you think the 300 RUM shooting 200gr partition would be enough for Zebra? Has anyone shot a Zebra with a 300 in the Heart, Leg or lungs?

I'm going to S. Africa in July and would like to know if a 300 is enought for plains game.

your 300 will work fine provided you don't hit one of the black stripes....if you want to shoot it in one of the black stripes you will need something larger like a 577 Nitro.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I lost count of how many zebras and sable I have shot with a 270 Ackley.

I have also shot many of larger calibers. Frankly, I could not honestly say that the larger calibers killed them any better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:

your 300 will work fine provided you don't hit one of the black stripes....if you want to shoot it in one of the black stripes you will need something larger like a 577 Nitro.

Why can you not shoot them in a black stripe?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
You will crush him...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And beside crushing him it hurts more than on the white , just ask Imus.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I lost count of how many zebras and sable I have shot with a 270 Ackley.

I have also shot many of larger calibers. Frankly, I could not honestly say that the larger calibers killed them any better.

Oh come on now, everyone knows you can't kill a zebra with a .270 whether improved or not...

They do not die with a 150 grain bullet in the heart. It takes at least a 180 grain bullet to make the hole big enough to take into account the Hysteresis Effect, the Bwana Saeed Index, the Taylor Knockout Effect, the Hailey Comet affect, and not to mention extra high gravity in the area.

I will check into my LaPlace Transforms and Fourier Series analysis to see if this is so...

Oh no, a .270 will kill a zebra.. I'll be darned...
I should have known that all along.

So will a .300 WM or RUM or Scotch.

Just put the bullet on the triangle on the zebra's shoulder and he will be a rug very soon....

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a .300 is enough for plains game.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod: Why can you not shoot them in a black stripe?

Because they can't see the hole in the black stripe and they won't know they've been shot.
clap
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The poor guy asks a simply question and he gets all kinds of advice from us...

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

But I am not....

dancing

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed this one in the Save Conservancy in 05 with a 6.5x57, 139gr softpoint.

Eighty yard shot, it ran sixty and went down. The rifle choice was not mine as my guns were still in the Joberg airport...
troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I shot my Zebra last year with a 300 RUM. I was using the 200 GR PSP bullet from Remington. The zebra was shot through both lungs at 100 yards and it turned them to jelly. The zebra went about 75 yards and piled up.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Got mine with 300 Win Mag 200 gr NP. Double-lung shot; piled up within 50 yds.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a Hartmanns Zebra with a 300RUM and a 180TSX last year in Namibia, with Mike Kibble.

Range was 346 yards (Leica Geovid) and the stallion just collapsed on the spot.........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I took one in February with my 300RUM. 180 grain Barnes. Full penetration. I would have no reservations using it on Zebra. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I'm going to take my 300 RUM for the Zebra, Wart Hog, & The Impala.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed two with archery gear both died under 40 yds. Killed my Hartmans with a 300WSM/180gr an he ran 125 yds with both lungs shredded....go figure!

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to why you thought it was not enough...

My question is in all seriousness.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 300RUM with 200 grain bullets is an excellent choice for African plains game.I might choose to go with this combo if ever I go to Africa.I will start developing a load next week for this caliber.I bought a scope for my 300RUM today and broke a screw installing the scope bases.I will try to get a hot and accurate load for her with a molly coated TSX.I am going to try both Remington and Nosler cases.I feel very confident that a 200 grain TSX moving at 3200 fps and placed very high and to the left of the shoulder, will drop a zebra instantly.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not sure the 300 RUM is enough gun. Those Zebra can be dangerous. I'm going this july just for Zebra, I'm having my 460wby rebarreled to 500A2. When hunting Zebra in the thick stuff their is no such thing as to much gun. If my 500A2 is not back in time I guess I'll have to use my 260rem mod 7.

DR B

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 RUM cartridge was designed specifically because the 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H, and 300 Weatherby were all lacking to some degree. But the RUM was not quite enough so the 30-378 was developed. The jury is still out on that one...there is a school of thought that says one definitely needs depleted Uranium bullets to make a sure kill on plains gameWink

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will never get the drop dead effect on game, with a body shot ,useing anything lighter than a 300WM.Especially on good sized zebra.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
quote:

I'm not sure the 300 RUM is enough gun. Those Zebra can be dangerous. I'm going this july just for Zebra, I'm having my 460wby rebarreled to 500A2. When hunting Zebra in the thick stuff their is no such thing as to much gun. If my 500A2 is not back in time I guess I'll have to use my 260rem mod 7.

DR B

The nasty bastards might bite you, Dr B Big Grin

Smiler

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I think the 300RUM with 200 grain bullets is an excellent choice for African plains game.I might choose to go with this combo if ever I go to Africa.I will start developing a load next week for this caliber.I bought a scope for my 300RUM today and broke a screw installing the scope bases.I will try to get a hot and accurate load for her with a molly coated TSX.I am going to try both Remington and Nosler cases.I feel very confident that a 200 grain TSX moving at 3200 fps and placed very high and to the left of the shoulder, will drop a zebra instantly.

shootaway,

It's a top round for PG.

Why not try the North Fork 200 HG as well?

Cheers,

Blair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't buy the North Fork in Canada.I would prefer to go with the TSX in 300RUM.A hot load will really stress a 200 grain bullet on something the size of a zebra.

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
quote:
I feel very confident that a 200 grain TSX moving at 3200 fps and placed very high and to the left of the shoulder, will drop a zebra instantly.

It may be tough to get all of the zebra to run from left to right for the shot. Cool

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
I used A 300RUM to take all my game in RSA in 2004 including a Zebra All animals were one shot the Zebra was moving from left to right at about 200yds I hit it just behind the front leg and about mid body. It dropped on the spot and didn't even kick.I was using Reminton 180gr PSP factory loads.The only animal that ran any distance was the Bles buck he went about 125yds with virtually no lungs left.Kudu went about 50yds. Gems buck dropped like the Zebra.The 300RUM is more than enough gun with well placed shots.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have plenty of gun for any plains game you come upon. I might upgrade for an Eland, or make sure you have a good broadside shot.
I have taken 3 Zebra with the .300 RUM shooting 200 gr. NP and 200 gr. SAF. I believe that the SAF did a better job of penetration and would give you more shooting angles with confidence.
I also took 20 other PG trophies with the .300 RUM and was very pleased with its knock down performance. Never forget that it is the accuracy of the shot that makes up 60%or more of the kill. Have a Great Safari.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]300 RUM[/URL] I don't know if she will take a Zebra,but I've got her ready for load testing.Here she is alongside my most used rifle,my 308 "target rifle".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took mine w/ 7mm Rem, 160 A Frame to the left kidney, 'bout 175 yds. Ran 50 yds & dropped.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
You can't buy the North Fork in Canada.I would prefer to go with the TSX in 300RUM.A hot load will really stress a 200 grain bullet on something the size of a zebra.

I bought mine through the guys at Huntingtons. Not a problem. Mike Brady who makes the North Forks is a top bloke and the bullets are fantastic.

We culled Red hartebeest one afternoon with Mike Kibble and he was using 200TBBC in a 300 Win against us Aussies with the 300RUM and 180TSX............the TBBC hit much harder and it's not as good a bullet as the North Fork, IMO.

Blair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Blair,I checked out the Huntingtons site last night and saw that they had all kinds of nice stuff.They also explained some of the impoting/exporting process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 RUM with 200 grain North Forks worked great for a bunch of plains game, including zebra. I always considered myself something of a deadeye. Then, with a rear quartering shot on a kudu, the animal jumped suddenly forward just as I was squeezing off (with an otherwise good sight picture) and I hit it a little too far back (plus minus a little brush deflection). Tracked red blood for hours, and looked for signs of it (vultures) for days. First big game I ever hit and lost, and that was in 2004, and I remember it better than most animals in which I made "great shots", and indeed still think about it. I've since done the approximately roughly equivalent raking shot on a kudu with a .375 and heavy bullet, and the animal fell on the spot. I learned something from all that.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year my buddy took a zebra with a 300 RSAUM. He was using 180 gr. factory rounds. No problem.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Like I said...the 300 will work fine...just don't shoot one on the black stripe!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen or know of many many Zebra that have been shot with the 300 RUM or equal calibers like the 300-404. I think Saeed has shot a ton of Zebra with such a caliber.

I have shot a lot of Zebra with the 30-06 and the 7x57 and without difficulty.

I have shot them in the lungs, heart, neck and brain, but never in the leg and no a 300 or a 600 will not kill a Zebra shot in the leg.

The only criteria to killing a Zebra or a Buffalo for that matter is to place the shot in a killing zone. Caliber is a far third place, second is a properly constructed bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote