THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is Zim finished as a hunting destination?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Zim finished as a hunting destination?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
If they extradite, that is different.

We would have issues with our government as well.

The very fact the government of Zimbabwe is seeking to extradite has a chilling effect on people going over.

I don't think US government is turning over anyone to zim for hunting related issues. I just hope it blows over and anti on their website and we on ar are only ones talking about zim and hunting.

If us and zim gets into a standoff on getting dr Palmer extradited, I as a U.S. citizen, would stay as far from zim as possible.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
The line for me is when they start publishing the names and addresses of hunters they "think" might have done something wrong. That should be kept private until the investigation is over at the very least. I'll take my money to other places that don't put on public witch hunts for sportsman that pay good money helping fund their wildlife.

Irreparable damage has already been done to these two American hunters by damaging their reputations and ability to make a living at their practices.

Moreover, all of us have suffered damage to our reputation and the anti-hunter movement has made a huge step toward achieving their goal - to shut our hobby down.

This will not go away soon - emotions are running too high.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget guys, this is all supposed to be fun. It's starting to feel like a crusade.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they are just going to shake down the landowners and the PHs for the $50K ... pocket any donations from tree huggers ... and then raise the minimum trophy fee for lion just as they did for buffalo forcing all the operators to jack up rates again. Meanwhile the real poaching, fueled by their Chinese buddies, will continue unabated and unpunished.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
"Irreparable damage has already been done to these two American hunters by damaging their reputations and ability to make a living at their practices."

----If these hunters are not co-conspirators,
as many of us suggested they might not be.

Many of those here and others in the hunting "community"
most assuredly owe an apology to these hunters.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
"Irreparable damage has already been done to these two American hunters by damaging their reputations and ability to make a living at their practices."

----If these hunters are not co-conspirators,
as many of us suggested they might not be.

Those here and others in the hunting "community"
most assuredly owe an apology to these hunters.

Hunting with shady operators at extreme discount prices should be a warning. Also both medical professionals have faced ethical and legal problems including fines in the respective practices. I don't owe anybody a damn thing.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would those of us who have said to wait for the facts feel any need to apologize?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Glad to see you are so certain,
and so knowledgeable, in fact clairvoyant.

Truth is-
there but by the Grace of God could go many US hunters on their Zim hunt

as stated before- not all here have such in depth knowledge before they book-

Glad you are that knowledgable.
(and yes, I know many of the good guys in Zim as well)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of these people have a pattern of dubious behavior. So I am not holding my breath or riding to their defense. It is sad to see the Pitchfork Society we live in. Again Apology?

Hardly.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Did Zim really suspend ALL HUNTING or is this a mis-parroting of the suspension bordering Hwange?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell from article whether it is just a repeat of the announcement of a couple of days ago, closing lion, leopard and elephant around the park or a new nationwide closing?

Posts: 124 | Location: Zionsville, IN | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
"The government is “directing all those in currently in the field to stop their hunting activities and withdraw,” Zimbabwean Environment Secretary Prince Mupazviriho said in an e-mailed statement today."

“The suspension is not clear. Is it for a month, or the rest of the season?” Emmanuel Fundira, chairman of Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe, told reporters at a news conference. “It will negatively affect the season because of the cancellations.”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil A:
Hard to tell from article whether it is just a repeat of the announcement of a couple of days ago, closing lion, leopard and elephant around the park or a new nationwide closing?

Yup

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Since 2012, I have personally donated thousands of US dollars to fund ongoing anti-poaching initiatives within the Lower Zambezi Valley. Due to the ongoing "Cecil the Lion" controversy and Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authorities irresponsible actions (i.e. - releasing names, addresses, and phone numbers of alleged U.S. poachers), I will redirect my future donations to other worthy causes. To quote the lovely Kelley Bundy from the hit series, Married with Children, "Well that's the squaw that stroked the camel's sack".

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am officially done with hunting Africa until this current nonsense stops. I was going to book a cape buff hunt for 2016 or 17, but not any more.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What worries me is if the European Union and our beloved Barrack decide to ban trophy importations to Europe and the USA, it would be a death sentence for African hunting in all the countries. Don't put it past these bunny hugging assholes.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Looks like we may have more info after a meeting

Government, in addition to investigations has put in place the following measures with immediate effect;

Hunting of lions, leopards and elephants in areas outside of Hwange National Park has been suspended .Government is also directing all those currently in the field to stop their hunting activities and withdraw.
Government is very much aware of the financial implications on the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, the Safari Industry, CAMPFIRE Communities and Wildlife Producers affected by this suspension and therefore appeals for funding from the donor community and well-wishers to assist Zimbabwe Parks and Management Authority to thoroughly investigate operations of this important hunting industry. Financial resources generated will ensure that Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has sufficient capacity to monitor the activities of this important hunting industry as required by law. Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has set up a specific wildlife conservation and monitoring fund for this purpose and well-wishers can deposit the funds into
Barclays Bank, Mgundumu Safaris Branch Code 2157 Account Number 6614241.

-

All stakeholders who include wildlife producers, professional hunters, safari operators association of Zimbabwe ,CAMPFIRE Districts, Wildlife Civic society groups and Zimbabwe Conservation Task force , are being called for an urgent meeting at Zimparks HQ AT 10:00AM on the 4th of August 2015

http://www.zimparks.org/index....-and-monitoring-fund

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
None of us is perfect and everyone of us had done things, other people might look at as dubious, unethical, illegal etc.
Life is good, hunting is better and piss on Antis.
United we stand, divided we fall...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why do I keep thinking that all those involved in this sad fiasco - especially the authorities who are supposed to know better - are just bowing to stupid PC again??

Why can't the Zimbabwe authorities come out and state that anyone caught breaking the law will be prosecuted, otherwise all hunting should proceed as normal??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
I am cynical enough of the Zim government situation to believe this may just be a shakedown.

They will take all the funds they can garner from the sympathy donations from the anti's--
and then--
shakedown the PH's and hunters in the process, with higher fees-
maybe not-- just a thought

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim apparently wants to remain a third-world country. Prosecuting tourist hunters is not good business. Ignoring local terrorists and criminals, not good business. Not much of a surprise.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am cynical enough of the Zim government situation to believe this may just be a shakedown.

They will take all the funds they can garner from the sympathy donations from the anti's--
and then--
shakedown the PH's and hunters in the process, with higher fees-
maybe not-- just a thought

Agree - see my post on page 1. They'll milk this bleeding heart money and then turn their attention back to us for more. I think Zim hunting still survives that happening.

Now, that coupled with a US import ban along with lack or non-existence of trophy carriage and there is a real problem.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't feel that a general 'threat' to boycott Zim would be out of order.
After all, a few years back some hunters practically threatened to boycott Tanzania just for raising their (ridiculously low) trophy fees...remember?
At least Tanzania was not threatening to extradite & throw their customers into prison!
Maybe a threat of boycott may wake them up?
But let's not forget the (apparently) unethical "hunter" and his "PH" who brought this Tsunami of shit down on our heads!

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The government is “directing all those in currently in the field to stop their hunting activities and withdraw,” Zimbabwean Environment Secretary Prince Mupazviriho said in an e-mailed statement today."

That's enough for me right there! After paying for the trip and flights and taking off work!

Stop hunting??????

Mad Bob is doing this for personal gain, you watch money donated to this "cause" will end up in a Swiss bank account!

I agree with Tanz-PH, nothing short of a boycott will fix this. We as hunters need to stick together and though we can't submit a ballot in Zim, we can vote with our pocket books.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

That's enough for me right there! After paying for the trip and flights and taking off work!

Stop hunting??????

Mad Bob is doing this for personal gain, you watch money donated to this "cause" will end up in a Swiss bank account!

I agree with Tanz-PH, nothing short of a boycott will fix this. We as hunters need to stick together and though we can't submit a ballot in Zim, we can vote with our pocket books.

You do realize that statement is in reference to lands boarding Hwange Park only right?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This mornings meeting was well attended, members from both hunting and photographic operators, press, national parks senior staff and some independent guys from scientific sectors and a few NGO's.

ZCTF "Johnny Rodrigues " was nowhere to be found.. Shows you how much he cares about the industry, just goes to show how unpopular he is in local conservation circles.

Not a huge amount achieved, but moving in the right direction. A few irate operators who operate on the boundary of the park, as all hunts suspended, including some guys in the field hunting already.

ALL hunting areas in and around the park has been suspended until further notice. It was said and parks agreed, a few unruly elements have caused and are responsible for this crisis, causing everyone operating legally to be tarred with the same brush.it was unanimously agreed that the offending operators / professional hunters involved be prosecuted and charged where they have transgressed any law .

In our opinion these illegal lion off takes occurred in the gwaai conservancy areas, if anything this area should have been suspended to conduct investigations etc.not a blanket suspension .

Mixed messages as usual from national parks, they claiming government has suspended the hunting in these areas. With national parks being the regulatory body, it would be them who would be tasked to remedy this situation. Director General could easily have made this call, and advised his minister, giving the facts and reason etc, but they national parks said it was not their call, and they had been tasked to map the way forward, hence this meeting was called.

Parks were taken to task on the issue of client confidentiality. Members agreed once a offender has been convicted in a court of law, by all means disclose this personal information.but until such time that occurs details should remain confidential and privy to relevant authorities.

Quota transfer - national parks re-iterated this is "illegal ".. And has been stopped with immediate effect. A positive move long overdue. Independent Conservation and industry experts reiterated the need to regulate and police existing regulations effectively, rather than bringing more regulations in as a result of the crisis.

A commitee has been set up with representation from various stake holders within the industry, to formulate and map the way forward, in consultation with national parks. All in all parks have agreed to more of an open door policy, so let's see moving forward from here. They cannot afford to lose the much needed business from foreign hunters.

There was no mention of extradition of either client in these hunts. We think that rhetoric is most probably political if anything, but still damaging to our industry, as future clients may be hesitant to come to Zimbabwe . These concerns were stressed in strong terms to the national parks Director General aswell.

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zimbabwe Wildlife Conservation:
This mornings meeting was well attended, members from both hunting and photographic operators, press, national parks senior staff and some independent guys from scientific sectors and a few NGO's.

ZCTF "Johnny Rodrigues " was nowhere to be found.. Shows you how much he cares about the industry, just goes to show how unpopular he is in local conservation circles.

Not a huge amount achieved, but moving in the right direction. A few irate operators who operate on the boundary of the park, as all hunts suspended, including some guys in the field hunting already.

ALL hunting areas in and around the park has been suspended until further notice. It was said and parks agreed, a few unruly elements have caused and are responsible for this crisis, causing everyone operating legally to be tarred with the same brush.it was unanimously agreed that the offending operators / professional hunters involved be prosecuted and charged where they have transgressed any law .

In our opinion these illegal lion off takes occurred in the gwaai conservancy areas, if anything this area should have been suspended to conduct investigations etc.not a blanket suspension .

Mixed messages as usual from national parks, they claiming government has suspended the hunting in these areas. With national parks being the regulatory body, it would be them who would be tasked to remedy this situation. Director General could easily have made this call, and advised his minister, giving the facts and reason etc, but they national parks said it was not their call, and they had been tasked to map the way forward, hence this meeting was called.

Parks were taken to task on the issue of client confidentiality. Members agreed once a offender has been convicted in a court of law, by all means disclose this personal information.but until such time that occurs details should remain confidential and privy to relevant authorities.

Quota transfer - national parks re-iterated this is "illegal ".. And has been stopped with immediate effect. A positive move long overdue. Independent Conservation and industry experts reiterated the need to regulate and police existing regulations effectively, rather than bringing more regulations in as a result of the crisis.

A commitee has been set up with representation from various stake holders within the industry, to formulate and map the way forward, in consultation with national parks. All in all parks have agreed to more of an open door policy, so let's see moving forward from here. They cannot afford to lose the much needed business from foreign hunters.

There was no mention of extradition of either client in these hunts. We think that rhetoric is most probably political if anything, but still damaging to our industry, as future clients may be hesitant to come to Zimbabwe . These concerns were stressed in strong terms to the national parks Director General aswell.

If you extradite, say goodbye to your hunting industry.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post

Jeff[/QUOTE]

+1

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

Based upon what I am told there are different parts of the government with different agendas. Apparently NP is embarrassed by the extradition issue while other government officials are pushing the matter.

There are other conflicts with the Zim government that will likely have an impact ultimately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:

Jeff

+1[/QUOTE]

+2

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Stop hunting??????

You do realize that statement is in reference to lands boarding Hwange Park only right?

Does it really matter? If it where your hunt how would you like it?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stop hunting??????

I wouldn't but I also wouldn't be hunting on seized land in Zim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stop hunting??????

My thoughts exactly.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was talking to a PH friend of mine last night. This effects EVERYONE of his hunts scheduled this year. He is looking to working in Zambia rest of the year now.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

I was talking to a PH friend of mine last night. This effects EVERYONE of his hunts scheduled this year. He is looking to working in Zambia rest of the year now.

Probably better off if he was going to be hunting on seized land. Just saying'

Either way, Zim will likely return to business as usual once the pitchfork crowd finds a new Frankenstein.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Hunting on seized lands is a recipe for disaster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question? How would you be absolutely sure you were not hunting on seized land as this scenario seems to change a lot? Who's word would you actually trust in this matter? Just asking.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stop hunting??????

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:

Jeff

+1[/QUOTE]

If the US extradites a US citizen to Zimbabwe for killing a lion I am far more worried about citizenship, living in US, owning assets and paying taxes in the United States that anything regarding a irrelevant hunting industry 10,0000 miles away.

This is Zim - this is what the good outfitters keep hunters completely cocooned from

http://www.state.gov/documents...anization/236634.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/...e-country-of-concern

https://www.hrw.org/africa/zimbabwe

the list goes on

The stupidity in Zim government asking to extradite given its human rights track record is either a bad joke or a desperate attempt for publicity on Cecil the Lion bandwagon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
appeals for funding from the donor community and well-wishers

Good luck with that. First their agriculture industry was destroyed, now they are working on destroying their hunting industry.

Uganda has been making a recovery, so maybe there is hope, but it'll probably be many years (and many human deaths) in the future.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote