THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ruger M77 and question on recoil Pads for DG Rifles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 and question on recoil Pads for DG Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
I have been putting together a .458 Lott in an M77 Ruger for elephant and buffalo in Zimbabwe this June. I found one and purchased it new. I had a Pachmeyer Decelerator Pad installed to replace the factory pad. After the discussions on this site about the controlled feed characteristcs of the M77, I had both the bolt face and the loading ramp worked over. It functioned very well, with true controlled feed loading. With the addition of a New England Gun Company fiber optic front sight, I figured I was ready for anything Jumbo had to throw at me. That was, at least, until I shot the thing. I was shooting the factory Hornady solids, and the seventh shot split the stock! The wood was fractured just behind the receiver on the top of the pistol grip. It appeared that it might only be superficial, but with the tremendous recoil of this rifle, I wasn't about to shoot it again. Besides, the bullet from that shell flew about 8 feet high and 8 feet left at 50 yards.

I thought I was going to be in a pickle with the upcoming date to Zim. Both Retreever and Use Enough Gun graciously offered their respective M77 .458 Lotts for use on the hunt, but I really wanted to take the one I just purchased. I was afraid Ruger would not get it repaired and back to me on time. But, alas, I have to give kudus to Ruger on this one. I overnighted it last Thursday and it I received it back via overnight mail (at their expense) on Tuesday (the following week).

The question I have is, they returned the Pachmeyer Decellerator pad, but did not replace it on the new stock. I really don't want to mess with getting it reinstalled before the June hunt, primarily becuase I can't spare the time to take it to the gunsmith and go and pick it up. It has always been my impression that a soft recoil pad on a heavy recoil DG rifle is somewhat counterintuitive. Somewhat like attempting to stop a freight train with a feather.

What are the opinions of the members here on this topic. Would I really notice any significant recoil reduction with the Decellerator pad as opposed to the factory Ruger pad?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To put it simply...YES! The factory Ruger recoil pad, and I use that term loosely, is not much better than a steel butt plate...IMO. Take the time to talk to your gunsmith and see if he can put a "rush" on the job so you have time to practice. Hopefully it should not be much of a job as most Ruger stocks are pretty close dimension wise, so if Ruger sent you back your original Decelerator and it was fit to a previous RSM stock, it should be close fit.
Good luck!

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
persomaly the sorbathane kick-eez pads are the best and simple to grind and install and can be done yourself...check this thread out..

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=73959&messages=18

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/468132

then use the above product...you will want it...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=170596

this one is the one you might consider just be sure it is a thick one.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=144343

also a consideration if you are getting smacked in the face with your stock...

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle arriving any day for an ele hunt next June. Could someone point me towards the topic that discussed the controlled round feed modifications?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../653101664#653101664

yukon...i think this is the refference thread

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Opps. Re-reading my post. I meant "kudos," not "kudus." Got Africa on the mind!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sims I think makes the best recoil pad for a heavy rifle. I have one on my Ruger .416 and it works well, and they make one that is a screw on fit for a Ruger. It wouldn't be any work and I know you can order one from Cabelas and have it in a couple of days.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bwanna,
If your 'smith is tied up and busy that he can not install, might suggest you consider the Past Pad, which can fit under the shirt, jacket, etc. and is quite comfortable and does indeed suck up recoil quite well. I can shoot the 338 Lapua most of the day and not have a serious problem with recoil. That round kicks quite a lot and shoot 20 rounds plus sighters in 30 minutes or less. The item I mention fits similar to a shoulder holster and is light in weight, and after a while you forget even having it on and would in no way hinder in rapid shouldering of the rifle. Just a thought with turn around time being a factor in your situation.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driver:
Hello Bwanna,
If your 'smith is tied up and busy that he can not install, might suggest you consider the Past Pad, which can fit under the shirt, jacket, etc. and is quite comfortable and does indeed suck up recoil quite well. I can shoot the 338 Lapua most of the day and not have a serious problem with recoil. That round kicks quite a lot and shoot 20 rounds plus sighters in 30 minutes or less. The item I mention fits similar to a shoulder holster and is light in weight, and after a while you forget even having it on and would in no way hinder in rapid shouldering of the rifle. Just a thought with turn around time being a factor in your situation.

Wearing the Past recoil shield is a good suggestion.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanna!

I wouldn't take the rifle with out having the stock glass bedded first. Can you imagine the pickle you will be in if it happens again on your first shot at an ele that runs off and you have to follow it with a broken stock that is shooting 8 feet off. This is no time to take chances. Also I wouldn't be too concerned about the pad at this point. Once you are after elephants you will not notice the recoil. You will have other things on your mind and no room to worry about recoil.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanna

465 H&H hit the nail on the head. I would bet Ruger just screwed a new stock onto your barrelled action and sent it back to you. Very good chance with the Lott that you will break the stock again. What if it happens when you are shooting at your elephant. Beg, bribe or threaten your gunsmith whichever works best and ge the rifle properly bedded to avoid a catastrophy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I have a RSM in .458 Lott. I have put several boxes of ammo through it in preparation for my Tanzania trip this september without any problems with the stock. I do, of course, plan to shoot it a lot more before I leave for Africa.

My question is, how many others out there have experienced stock splitting on the RSM in .458 Lott?

BTW, my limbsaver pad works very well on this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference is the Decelerator on Lotts. I, too, would recommend a good glass bedding. If you had time, I'd further suggest a reenforced Mcmillan stock.
Have a great time!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it turns out. I'm very interested in the result. I would greatly prefer to use the factory wood stock with some modifications. It's some of the nicest wood to be had without paying custom prices.

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
I've put only around 100 rnds through mine -- no mods (the Ruger recoil pad is still what is on the rifle). No stock split.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the airport to pick up my new RSM 458 Lott. Nice rifle for several reasons.

Maybe Bill C. will chime in here on his experience. To my knowledge, he made no bedding changes to his rifle. Bill?

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The stock on my Ruger 416 Rigby split.

Ruger sent me a new one and I had it bedded and the wood behind the tang relieved. Not a problem since. Also, make sure you are religious about ensuring the two screws under the forearm are tight.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
SBT - that is completely interesting. That's exactly where and how mine split. Ruger wouldn't just send me the stock. They said that because it was a Magnum it had to be factory fit. I think everyone's advice on the bedding is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tang is the usual culprit on stock splitting. I haven't pulled my action yet but it wouldn't surprise me to find that it needs relieving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the stock doesn't split again. My .416 Ruger is out having a 1 3/8 " Kickeez installed. If you run out of time, Cabela's sells a slip on called the Shooter's Friend. About 1/2 " thick and VERY wide, about $20. A good thing to have around.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 77 in 458 Win. Mag., had no problem with the stock, but even with the past pad recoil was still felt. I think a combination of a nother recoil pad on the rifle and the past pad will help, but as other folks have said, and I haven't shot anything that dangerous or big, once you are shooting at hair or hide, you aren't going to notice the recoil. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger MK I in 458 win mag that was a great rifle. I sold it here a couple of years ago to a guy that wanted to use it on elk in Arizona. It was spooky accurate and he occasionally writes to tell me how dumb I was to sell it.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I have the decellorator that came off the old stock. I've taken the factory one off this new stock and it's not a perfect fit, though very close. If worse came to worse, I could use it. However, you've all convinced me to try and get it bedded. At the same time, I'll have another decelorator fitted for it. Retreever has always maintained that bedding these .458 Lotts is necessary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. Do those Rugers have a second recoil lug on the barrel?
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rugers Magnums have a unique bedding system incorporating a steel shank with a "lip" in the forearm that is "supposed" to counter recoil. Even though I put a few hundred rounds through it, I had the shank glass bedded before my safari and since then put close to an additional 500 rounds through it w/o ant problems. Having your rifle prepped before ANY high dollar hunt is a prudent and wise thing to do. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own the M77 but just finnished working on 2 ( 1 375H&H 1 30-06 ) for Maine Guide . I installed sorbathane ( kick ezz ) pads and covered them with black deerskin. I pillar and epoxy bedded the 06. and glass bedded the 375. Both stocks had small cracks in front of the trigger ( very little wood there! ) I do all crack repairs with west systems epoxy ( There is no better .! ) I do like the M77 I just happen not to own one at this time, if I was in the market for a 375 My personal choice would be a Model 70 supergrade if I could find one, if not I think I would buy the ruger. ( Im just a model 70 guy)