New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passing it On
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well in six more days I'll get to do something I've been waiting 12 years for. It started with a 22. Rutledge Bore, then next a Ruger .22 LR, which lead to a Mossberg .410 pump shotgun, then a Beretta 391-20 gauge. When he started beating me at sporting clays I knew I was in trouble.

If it wasn't for his love for baseball, I'm guessing he would have already joined me on a couple previous safaris. But now at 12, with his spring/summer season coming to an end, he's finally coming with me. This time it's not just his picture in my wallet.

I don't know what I'm gonna do when I see him shoot and kill his first African animal. But I know it will be a fun problem on my hands. I hope he doesn't want to shoot everything I've shot on that continent, at least till he gets his own job.

You may recall a couple years ago the father/son hunt we auctioned off at SCI. Well, it's finally here. Hunters Namibia Safari will be serving as our host. Thank you Ivan for helping me put it altogether.

Funny, my boy just wants to watch you and Craig on DVD now, doesn't care much about dad's videos. "When you come out with a new one Dad, I'll watch that one", he says.

He shoots his .270 way better than when I first started shooting one. And Ryan has the eyes and reflexes, that I can only wish I had. Glad we still have open acreage at the ranch because he says he wants to build his trophy room right next to mine, but bigger.

Oh boy, the joys of safari hunting. "I promise Dad, I'll never shoot anything like you did, over 500 yards." Look what I got myself into. Now passing it on.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every minutes of it, you'll never have a better hunting partner.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Moja: This will be your best safari. And your best hunting partner.
Bwana Mingi Risasi

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, my boy just wants to watch you and Craig on DVD now, doesn't care much about dad's videos. "When you come out with a new one Dad, I'll watch that one", he says.

jumping Too funny!!!

Sounds like you both are going to have the time of your lives. Enjoy!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Marc,

You are in for a truely great experience.

When my daughter was 20 I asked her if she wanted to celebrate her 21st birthday with her Mother and I on my sixth African safari. She was between her Junior and Senior year at Santa Clara University and I really wasn't sure if she would want to go. She was an athlete and grew up among guns and hunting but had declined to learn to shoot when I offered to teach her and I never forced the issue.

Her response was an immediate yes. She then said she would like me to teach her to shoot, although she wasn't sure if she wanted to kill an animal. She was a natural with a rifle and progressed from a .22LR directly to my .300WM (at her request). She was a hit with all the regulars at the range as her skill with a rifle was immediately evident and she was soon invited to try their muzzle loaders and varmint rifles, all of which she shot with accuracy.

On the first day of safari we were crawling through the grass on a Waterbuck stalk. We weren't able to get up on him but my daughter was elated and excited with the thrill of the hunt when we returned to the truck. On her birthday our PH gave her an Impala trophy which she took with a single shot. That night in camp we sang happy birthday to her in English, a group of Spanish hunters then sang it to her in Spanish and that prompted all the PHs and staff to sing it to her in Afrikaans. She went on to take other animals, including one given to her by the landowner.

She is now 32 and will provide me with my first grandchild, a boy, in September. She has never forgotten her first African safari and her 21st birthday. I hope to live long enough to introduce my grandson to safari someday.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations all! Brings a wonderufl tear to my eyes to read these stories!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

I wish your son the best of luck and hope he has the time of his life.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

just six weeks ago I had my daughter, 16, and my son, 10, join me for the first time. Simply amazing. BOTS was rainy and windy and very sloopy during our time, yet they both toughes it out better than most adults would have-- hunting every day, all day. Daughter ended up with an amazing gemsbok, son a bruiser kudu-- both from her 270.

I should know better, but a word of caution. Take way more photos than you think you'll ever need. Then double that number. I didn't double it and am now a bit perturbed with myself.

bon chance,

dan

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Starting at 12 . . . what a dream.

I was 23 with a year of law school under my belt when I first "went over". How life might have turned out different if I'd made a trip in my teenage years. I might not be sitting at this desk right now.

Have the time of your lives.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took my three sons along with my wife to South Africa last summer. The ages of the boys at the time were 16, 12, and 4. I knew that the timing would never be right finding a perfect age for each so off we all went and had the times of our lifes. It was another first safari for me. I took time to do things on this safari I would probably never had done had they not been onboard and made it that much better. We looked for rocks, found old 303 cases in the dirt and the boys made some outstanding shots. I always get a bit sad when I leave Africa but this trip was especially hard after the experience I had with my family. I tear up just thinking about it now. The last night night we ended up in Stellenbosch at a wonderful place called Moja and had dinner. The 4 year old got up on stage and played his little drum he purchased earlier in the day with the performers also playing drums. Priceless.

Posts: 10 | Location: texas | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My new wife and I leave in two hours with her 15year old daughter. The young lady is very excited and I am very happy to be a witness to her adventure.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by txed:
quote:
I took my three sons along with my wife to South Africa last summer. The ages of the boys at the time were 16, 12, and 4. I knew that the timing would never be right finding a perfect age for each so off we all went and had the times of our lifes.

Txed makes a great point. I put off going on safari for many years for a variety of reasons. Most often, the reasons revolved around our kids being too young, or there were conflicts with school or their other activities, sports, finances, things like that. Finally, after not being over there since 1989 (I went 3 times in the 80s), I told my wife that I was taking the family this summer (we were there from late May to early June for 2 weeks) and if nobody wanted to go, that I was going by myself, but there were not going to be any reasons, short of death, that I was staying home.

We went and had the time of our lives. I'd say it was one of our best family vacations ever and I can only regret that I let my kids grow up to 21 and 18 years old to finally take them over there. The only negative was that for the first week, I couldn't get the thought out of my head that kept asking me why the hell I'd let things stop me from getting back there for so long. Now, I plan on going back in a few years and will not let anything deter me. Most likely, I'll be taking my son buffalo hunting on the next trip, and perhaps the girls will come along again, but if not we're going anyway.

As the Nike slogan says "Just do it."

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2001 I took my two sons( then 19 and 23)and it remains one of the high points of our lives. Congratulations and have a wonderful trip.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HOPE TO DO THE SAME SOMEDAY. MY SON IS 32 AND HASN'T SHOWN THE INSTREST YET.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Marc
I know this will be one of your best safaris ever.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Marc: You lucky man! And Ryan is an even luckier young man! Mother Africa is set, once again, to cast her magical spell over another willing soul! Can you imagine having the unquenchable desire to return to her again and again, starting at the tender age of 12? Best wishes on a very successful safari! Don't forget: a story and some pics upon your return!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark, life cannot get any sweeter... A father and son...A hunt to Africa..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Well in six more days I'll get to do something I've been waiting 12 years for. It started with a 22. Rutledge Bore, then next a Ruger .22 LR, which lead to a Mossberg .410 pump shotgun, then a Beretta 391-20 gauge. When he started beating me at sporting clays I knew I was in trouble.

If it wasn't for his love for baseball, I'm guessing he would have already joined me on a couple previous safaris. But now at 12, with his spring/summer season coming to an end, he's finally coming with me. This time it's not just his picture in my wallet.

I don't know what I'm gonna do when I see him shoot and kill his first African animal. But I know it will be a fun problem on my hands. I hope he doesn't want to shoot everything I've shot on that continent, at least till he gets his own job.

You may recall a couple years ago the father/son hunt we auctioned off at SCI. Well, it's finally here. Hunters Namibia Safari will be serving as our host. Thank you Ivan for helping me put it altogether.

He shoots his .270 way better than when I first started shooting one. And Ryan has the eyes and reflexes, that I can only wish I had. Glad we still have open acreage at the ranch because he says he wants to build his trophy room right next to mine, but bigger.

Oh boy, the joys of safari hunting. "I promise Dad, I'll never shoot anything like you did, over 500 yards." Look what I got myself into. Now passing it on.

Congrats! I'm still a few years away - my son is nine. But he is already a fine deer hunter - maybe better than I am. His wing shooting is coming on, thankfully I've got him there for a few years...

Its a great thing, eh?

I'm jelous!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya just can't beat this experience!!!!! dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Bwana Moja: This will be your best safari. And your best hunting partner.
Bwana Mingi Risasi

Craig knows! His daughter loves Africa, too.

I had the surprise of my life when my youngest asked me to take her on safari for her high school graduation present and the subsequent joy of taking her last year (and her older sister demanded tag along).

There is nothing like sharing the joys of Africa with your children!

Take a zillion pictures and you'll find them priceless.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Best success to Ryan, what's his wish list? Perhaps your next video should star the young man as a primer to get more young people hunting!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great to hear Marc...now the real fun begins! I am envious!

My son's were 11 and 14 when I first took them solo. Now at 18 and 20 we talk about our trips all the time. They were active in FB/BB/Tennis/Vball/etc and I was there on the sidelines or bleachers for most every game/match. But, NOTHING compares to our shared adventures to far off exotic lands. People have said how lucky they are…but the fact is that I consider myself the fortunate one!

I look forward to hearing more of you and Ryan's exploits in the years that follow.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Marc

I took my family on my first trip to Africa exactly a year ago. My hunt report is still on here. The smile on my sons face when he took his Kudu Bull with one clean shot is forever burned in to the happiest parts of my memory.

I only hope I will bleased with a few more of these trips with my kids. My daughter was not ready to shoot on our last trip but she wants to go to Africa and hunt in a couple more years. Oddly enough she really wants to hunt a Cheetah, even though it is her favorite animal.

Best of luck

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Best of hunting to you both Marc. As mentioned, pictures, pictures, pictures. I'm still reeling from your King Mt.Nyala pics...stunning trophy of a lifetime. But your about to take some more, or should I say photograph some of your Sons.....
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marc,congratulation on ur monstor mountain nyala,man itis huge i just got safari magazine july/august issue and belive me couldnt sleep all night,GODBLESS u,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann and all you guys for the well wishes. For sure the cameras will be rolling on this safari. Mckenzie Sims, another 12-year old from Wyoming, is the youngster who will be joining us. His dad Jack, of course, is coming too. Some of you guys may know him. Jack is the hunter who took the massive lion from Timbavati last season that was posted on this board.

The bidding climbed up to $95,000 that night before Jack prevailed with a $100,000 bid, so he really deserves all my thanks. We're probably gonna just sit back in the landcruiser and watch our sons have all the fun.

Thanks Markhor and David for the Mt. Nyala compliments. Gonna maybe try and go for the third one, the Bongo, when the time is right.

I could never imagine myself going to Africa, not firing a single shot and having so much fun---but I think that time has come. So in the next two weeks if you hear any reports of two kids having the times of their lives in Namibia, you know who it is---or maybe it's gonna be a report of two dads having the times of their lives.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on your trip!!

When I was a youngin, there was an article in Petersen's Hunting about "Homegrown Hunting Partners", and them being the very best kind. My Pa and I never forgot that article (although I don't remember who the author was), and 20 years later he still refers to me as his Homegrown Hunting Buddy from time to time.

I hope you and your homegrown partner have a great and very memorable time together.

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote