THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    results from a point and shoot leica !
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

results from a point and shoot leica !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
I am an avid photographer and up till this year I have always lugged around a canon camera with a variety of lenses , the last couple of seasons that’s been a canon 7d with a 100-400 lens and a 14 mm wide angle …not what you would call and a light and easy to carry setup ! in short while hunting especially when guiding the hunt its simply too much gear ..

This year based on some pretty strong reviews and also encouragement from leica they offered for me to “field trial” their V-LUX 3 –

It’s a very quick little camera to use ,and has enabled me to reduce the bulk of what I have to carry significantly-

Here are the positives and negatives
Positives
Small and quick to use means overall I am taking more pics and while many many end up deleted a few are keepers , versus undoing my pelican case removing lens cap etc etc

The small size means I have it between us in the front seat all the time .

Excellent color balance and all the required modes if you want “funky”

A burst shooting mode with several frames a second that’s cool with flying birds or high action content

Negatives
The “load buffer” can take a while when you take a pic its about 1/3 of a second to be ready for the next one (except in burst of course)

The manual focus is noty truly maual focus and so its tough to focus through brush and often the camera will focus on a stick or bush in the foreground

Sunsets are tougher as its far harder to fool the camera with regards to the light balance you want

For me personally the positives far outweigh the negatives , here are a few pics from this season ….not the kind of photos you expect from a point and shoot !! Not close to the level of artistry our own Anton Dahlgren shows us but at a glimpse of some moments I had in Africa this year …enjoy !!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
That looks like a camera to take with and a lot cheaper than taking Mr. Carter along. Good clear shots. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Ivan, those are superb shot!

The specs are quite close, technically, to the Canon IX30 or 50 - but I see the glass makes a huge difference, yes?

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Wow, great pics Ivan! Thanks for sharing. The quality, convenience, and ease of use that "point and shoot" digital cameras now provide is truly amazing.

When I was in the Selous a few months ago I brought along a Sony Cyber-shot that worked well, but even when that was left with my wife and the truck, I always carried my iPhone 4S on my hip as "back-up."

While the Apple product certainly wasn't as good as a regular camera, it served it's purpose with the "Camera+" application. This pic of a puff adder certainly doesn't in any way compare with the quality of your photos, but at least I had a camera there when I needed it!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely pictures Ivan, an great compositions. You certainly have the "eye" Smiler

Regars

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody nice work, Ivan! tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The camera is doing its job but most impressive is your ability to see and compose. Nice work. If you publish a book of your photos someday you can count on me as a customer.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ivan, those are remarkable images. I agree with Palmer: It is one thing to have capable equipment, but something else again to have the eye to "see" the image you want to capture. You and Saeed and Anton are in a very select group, and I for one am NOT a member!

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
thanks bill , saeed and anton are in a different league but i have a lot of fun trying !!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pics Ivan! You'll have to show me that thing in Dallas.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Show us a pic of the camera please!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
some great pictures

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Outstanding work with the new Leica. There's so much more to photograph on safari than the trophies. I alway try to get birds, bugs and flowers as well as the trophy pix.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Leica was smart to do that - you have represented them well. I especially love the close up of the knarly faced elephant bull and the leopard.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
Great pics Ivan. Really fabulous.

There must have been a lot of post processing though. Who did that. Was it yourself or someone at Leica?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IVAN
Great Pictures.
Gratulation, you are an real expert in photographie too.

LEICA
Leica ist brillinat and inovative.

LEICA V LUX 3
I had tested this camera for over an year.
It is an great one, it had zoom up to 500 mm (not digital).

Bock, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here is an picture of the Leica V Lux 3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"NEW LEICA V 3", The V 4
Since the Photokina 10-2013 in Colone (some weeks before) Leica had the new modell on the market. The V 4.
It is mostly the same, a little bit better in the electronic and speed.
But:
I has an 2,8 Lens completly!!
Excelent for low light pictures.
So: If your are interessed in that camera, by the new one please.

LEICA REVOLUTION
In the middle of Janurary 2013 Leica create an special event.
That is an combinated hunting, testing and makreting event. And they will presantated an brand new Leica Optic -they work for it over 10 years- that will be an revolution in the hunting optics.
(So my friends, safe your money for christmas :-))

I will be there.
Im very happy they send me an inviting.

If I get the permission, I will post here an complete report and post some photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the review and great pictures. I have been trying to decide on a new hunting camera and this just made my decision.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
dr fm thanks for posting the picture ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Picture of Juha S.
posted Hide Post
Ivan,the best pictures what I've seen here on AR forum!

Posts: 21 | Location: Finland | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Ivan- Thanks again for sharing some beautiful shots and a quick question regarding stabilization. Some of these pics must have been taken using the higher end of the zoom feature. If so, were they taken off-hand or did you utilize a monopod (shooting sticks?) to steady the camera? The price point on the camera is very good and the detail is incredible.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
dr fm thanks for posting the picture ...

Danka for posting the pic of the camera.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos, Ivan.

My own point-and-shoot is the Leica D-Lux 5, but it does not zoom out anywhere near as far as your V-Lux 3 or the new, released in September 2012, V-Lux 4. Tried to find a review of the new version on Digital Photography Review and only got some comment comparing it with its sister Panasonic model and trashing Leica for selling it for so much more. Believe the more open lens (f2.8) is a great selling point.

Best of the Season,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Nice pics Ivan. I will have to look into it. I am the guy that is usually carrying way to big a camera with me but wanting pics better than the normal point and shoot. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shots Ivan!

Another option is the new Panasonic Lumix FZ200 which is basically a "re-badged" Leica V-LUX 4 for alot less $$. Same sensor and lens.

Canon just came out with their SX50 which zooms out to 1200mm (double the range of the Leica and Panasonic). The aperture is not as fast, but it handles higher ISO better. And I see them on sale for under $400.

Amazing what's being offered and available in digital cameras and lenses these days!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ivan- Thanks again for sharing some beautiful shots and a quick question regarding stabilization. Some of these pics must have been taken using the higher end of the zoom feature. If so, were they taken off-hand or did you utilize a monopod (shooting sticks?) to steady the camera? The price point on the camera is very good and the detail is incredible.

all hand held , even at full zoom ,
i have just swapped it out with leica for the new V-LUX so will let you know ,

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
Beautiful shots Ivan!

Another option is the new Panasonic Lumix FZ200 which is basically a "re-badged" Leica V-LUX 4 for alot less $$. Same sensor and lens.

Canon just came out with their SX50 which zooms out to 1200mm (double the range of the Leica and Panasonic). The aperture is not as fast, but it handles higher ISO better. And I see them on sale for under $400.

Amazing what's being offered and available in digital cameras and lenses these days!

I was thinking along the same lines in regards to the Panasonic, but when I was doing my research I found several reviews like this one that made me settle on the Leica:

It's not the same camera as the Panasonic. The Leica has a proprietary imaging engine that renders colors in a different manner and giving photos that legendary Leica look. It's like the Lexus 300, which is basically a Toyota Camry. But, the Lexus has denser sound quieting material added and other luxury features, which differentiate it from the Camry. Plus the Leica comes with other extras that the Panasonic doesn't offer.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos!! Maybe one day I will take some half as good as those!!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Great pics with a great lens...well done tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I've had Leicas all my life, and my father did before me, but recently with digitals I've gotten in the habit of using little Canons. You just convinced me to go back.

Even with big zooms, you are way to close to some of those animals to suit me! Wink

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Panasonic version of this camera for a number of years, and love them.

On this year's hunt, I took the latest Panasonic version - not sure under what name Leica sells it.

V-Lux 3 is the same as the Pana sonic FZ150. We had the FZ200 - which has exactly the same specs, except an F2.8 lense throughout the zoom range.

Great camera - and cheaper under Panasonic name.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Wow Saeed, about $300 cheaper in the Panasonic version. Thanks for pointing that out as I'm definitely in the market for one of these.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Following is a PM I posted to one of our members who asked about this camera.

"..It is the BEST of the current crop of bridge cameras.

I have tried most of them - a friend has a camera shop, and he kindly lets me try anthing I want.

I have been using these FZ series Panasonic cameras for a number of years, and they are great.

Leica sells the same models with their name on it - at a much higher price.

A lot of these cameras take great photos, but they all have all sorts of silly short comings.

Both Nikon ans Sony have nice bridge cameras - but both, especially the Sony - have an awful delay between shots.

You don't get this with the Panasonic.

I think you will not be disappointed with it..."

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to point out that Leica is kind enough to sponsor a hunting show, and we should be thankful for that.

I use their binoculars and think they are the best.

My last binocular order was for 12 Ziess and 48 Leica's of different models.

I just thought if any of you were interested in a very good camera, to take into consideration that both the Leic and the Panasonic are exactly the same - appart from the name.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Agree with you. I think Leica are the best as well. I have the 10X42s with the built in range finder. My second set of Leica binos as I gave the first set away to my PH as part of his tip back on my first safari in 06.

And obviously, the Panasonic version still has the Leica lens. I wasn't attempting to put the name down in any way at all. Just want to get the best value for my cash!

Even though I've put quite a bit of effort into it, I'm not sure I'll ever master the use of different lenses and manual settings on my camera as I'm really more interested in mastering the video camera and editing at this point.

A bridge camera such as this seems a perfect fit for my needs and desires. Ivan's photos taken with this camera, are better than I currently expect to be able to capture personally.

Thanks Ivan for introducing us to the camera. Your pictures are awesome.

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
Ivan's photos are amazing, but I suspect there was fair bit of post-processing done (I did ask, but no reply). If that is the case then "point and shoot" is perhaps a little misleading. They are still awesome photos either way.

Nevertheless, the Leica V-Lux 4 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 are excellent cameras and I'm ordering the Panasonic today for my July safari. It will do most of what an SLR can accomplish with a lot less weight and no additional lenses. This will be my camp camera.

When hunting I'll take another of Saeed's favourites, the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, on my belt.

I think these 2 cameras offer the best performance possible in such compact packages.

I agree with others - for binos, Leica are the business.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I have to chime in with the group hug, for you and the Leica. I can certainly see why you were selected. Those are incredible photos and camera held up its end.

Thanks for posting this.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it cost more.
But it is not 100% the same.
You have some extras and you have an mutch better electronic picture corrector. (Please have an look to the big photo magazines, they have tested it many times.)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FM:
quote:

Yes it cost more.
But it is not 100% the same.
You have some extras and you have an mutch better electronic picture corrector. (Please have an look to the big photo magazines, they have tested it many times.)

I've read 3 reviews on each since this topic came up yesterday. So far, the reviews I've read on the two models concerning specs have been 100% identical! Except of course, price! Wink