New
Find
Notify
Tools

California SB 1487
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you are an African hunter who resides in California, you need to pay attention to and write your State representatives about SB 1487. It would ban the importation into the State of any part, i.e. mount, skin, tooth, nail, etc. of any so-called "Iconic" African animal not in a persons possession in the State on December 31, 2018. There would be criminal penalties (some quite severe) for any violation. Iconic animals include of course Lion, Leopard and Elephant, but also such animals as Hyena, common plains Zebra, Mountain Zebra, Duiker, Giraffe and numerous other animals. It is obviously aimed at demonizing California Hunters and I believe the first step to banning all hunting in California. This is no joke. If you are California, you need to contact your State Senators and Representatives and strongly oppose this. SCI sent a bulletin out about this yesterday, but action needs to be taken soon.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
The next step in California will be making it mandatory to own pet gerbils to satisfy all the gay guys.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
You're from Chicago and you're talking shit about California politics.
That's rich...

Posts: 3033 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that bullshit. It's an unenforceable edict..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
EB, Thanks for the Heads Up on this. I'm on the Board of Diectors of the California Waterfowl Association and this bill hadn't yet been introduced when we had our last board meeting, where we reviewed a pile of anti-gun and anti-hunting bills. We've got a full time lobbyist on staff, I'll make sure he is aware of this ASAP.

We also have a Political Action Committee and I'll look to get involvement there too. Since you're from Northern CA, I encourage you to attend our sporting clays fundraiser shoot at Birds Landing on May 4th. Monies raised will be applied toward this year's candidates for state office. There is a large number of bills proposed this year which are of concern to us.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck fighting this. I sincerely hope you can get it stopped.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

No it isn't Jorge; it is actually illegal to own a mountain lion mount, even if not hunted in CA. Frankly, how these kinds of laws can be upheld if challenged on constitutional grounds or the Interstate Commerce Act is beyond me.

What do you lawyers think? MikeJ?

EB, can you provide any kind of link? SB 1487 as far as I can tell is about health records or something; I didn't read too much of what I Googled.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just one more reason why I got out of CA after 35 years of having shit piled on my head by the weirdos from the Bay Area and Lala land down south. There is simply no hope in that state for hunters....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Folks,they antis will not stop. Don’t believe it’s just canned lions or just AR’s they want. The end game is the world as they see fit. There will be no room for those not indoctrinated.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Eric Hoffer once said: “A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people’s business.”

Sound like anyone you know?

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

No it isn't Jorge; it is actually illegal to own a mountain lion mount, even if not hunted in CA. Frankly, how these kinds of laws can be upheld if challenged on constitutional grounds or the Interstate Commerce Act is beyond me.

EB, can you provide any kind of link? SB 1487 as far as I can tell is about health records or something; I didn't read too much of what I Googled.

AZ is correct about the Mtn. Lion law. In California, as a result of ballot prop 116, it is illegal to import into the state or possess any part of a Mtn lion, even though legally taken elsewhere. I know hunters who've shot lions in other state and called fish and game to tell theme the date, time and location that they'd be bringing their lion in, wanting to be cited as they want to challenge a he law. Fish and game won't do anything about them, they want nothing to do with this asinine law. As a result, we have a robust and expanding lion population, including in areas where they've never been before.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
quote:

AZ is correct about the Mtn. Lion law. In California, as a result of ballot prop 116, it is illegal to import into the state or possess any part of a Mtn lion, even though legally taken elsewhere. I know hunters who've shot lions in other state and called fish and game to tell theme the date, time and location that they'd be bringing their lion in, wanting to be cited as they want to challenge a he law. Fish and game won't do anything about them, they want nothing to do with this asinine law. As a result, we have a robust and expanding lion population, including in areas where they've never been before.

Ballot props should exist only for taxes, bond issuance etc. It should not be used to take away the rights of others. I wish someone would bring a case to the Supreme Court so we can get rid of BPs that take away the rights of others.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
quote:

Ballot props should exist only for taxes, bond issuance etc. It should not be used to take away the rights of others. I wish someone would bring a case to the Supreme Court so we can get rid of BPs that take away the rights of others.

100%. I’ve seen it in Seattle too many times. Literally buying signatures to get on the ballot and then with zero understanding of the issues, the masses vote and voila!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
If you are an African hunter who resides in California, you need to pay attention to and write your State representatives about SB 1487. It would ban the importation into the State of any part, i.e. mount, skin, tooth, nail, etc. of any so-called "Iconic" African animal not in a persons possession in the State on December 31, 2018. There would be criminal penalties (some quite severe) for any violation. Iconic animals include of course Lion, Leopard and Elephant, but also such animals as Hyena, common plains Zebra, Mountain Zebra, Duiker, Giraffe and numerous other animals. It is obviously aimed at demonizing California Hunters and I believe the first step to banning all hunting in California. This is no joke. If you are California, you need to contact your State Senators and Representatives and strongly oppose this. SCI sent a bulletin out about this yesterday, but action needs to be taken soon.

Are you sure it's SB 1487? I tried looking it up and it had something to do with power companies.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is insane!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The legislature here in California, dominated by very liberal democrats, has gone completely off the rails. They've decided their main constituents are criminals, illegals, those on public assistance and sundry other left leaning fascists. The hard working, tax paying residents of this state no longer matter to these legislators. Our Governor is the worst of the bunch. They are wrecking this state beyond any hope of recovery and I'm working on my exit plan. Nevada or Arizona look really good these days.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
The next step in California will be making it mandatory to own pet gerbils to satisfy all the gay guys.

In a hotel in Anchorage for the gun show and skimmed through AR before bed.

Laughed until I cried on this one.
Thanks for the cheer after a dull and boring gun show.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it is at all possible to actually breath for a whole day in California without breaking any laws?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It is legal to breathe, but only if you are reading the Huffington Post and drinking a coffee drink with at least 5 added ingredients while driving an electric car.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It is legal to breathe, but only if you are reading the Huffington Post and drinking a coffee drink with at least 5 added ingredients while driving an electric car.....

WRONG!!! California requires warnings on coffee that is it known to cause cancer.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I guess you have to leave out the coffee and drink the other 5 ingredients. It is actually true that EVERY hospital in the state has warning stickers on all entry doors, warning you that “this building/ facility contains agent/ chemicals known by the state of CA to cause cancer”!!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess you have to leave out the coffee and drink the other 5 ingredients. It is actually true that EVERY hospital in the state has warning stickers on all entry doors, warning you that “this building/ facility contains agent/ chemicals known by the state of CA to cause cancer”!!

Yes, the Prop 65 stuff has gotten so ridiculous (sawdust?) that many just use the label to prevent someone with nothing else to do from going fishing. The label has lost its meaning when everything has it on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://worldanimalnews.com/urg...n-act-in-california/

Urgent! Letters Needed By End Of Day, Tomorrow, April 9th, In Support Of Iconic African Species Protection Act In California

By Judie Mancuso - April 8, 2018

California Senator Henry Stern has introduced Bill 1487, the Iconic African Species Protection Act, which would prohibit the possession of specified African species by any individual, firm, corporation, association, or partnership within the state of California.
Letters of support are urgently needed by tomorrow, April 9th to help enact this crucial bill!
“Iconic African Species” means any species or subspecies of the following members of the animal kingdom: African elephant, African lion, leopard, black rhinoceros, white rhinoceros, giraffe, Jentink’s duiker, plains zebra, mountain zebra, hippopotamus, and striped hyena.
Tragically, African elephant populations declined by 30% (equal to 144,000 elephants) between 2007 and 2014. The African lion population is estimated to have declined by 43% between 1993 and 2014. And the black rhino has declined by an estimated 97.6% since 1960 with numbers bottoming out at 2,410 in 1995.
Sadly, the numbers are just as dire for other species such as the white rhino, leopard, giraffe, Jentink’s duiker, plains and mountain zebra, hippopotamus, and hyena.
The Iconic African Species Protection Act, which covers any part, product, or offspring of these iconic animals, would impose criminal penalties, including a fine and imprisonment.
Californians want to save these iconic species and one big step towards that goal is ending trophy hunting.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From SCI:

CA Hunters: Help Defeat Anti-Hunting Legislation
Apr 12, 2018

SCI urges all hunters to act today and tell their state Senator to oppose Senate Bill 1487.

If enacted, the bill will prohibit the importation into and possession in California of several specified species, including their parts, of game animals lawfully harvested by hunters in African countries.

Senate Bill 1487 is scheduled to be heard in the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee on Monday, April 16. Act now and voice your opposition, using SCI’s Action Center!

A number of the species listed under Senate Bill 1487, including hyena, hippopotamus, plains zebra and giraffe, are neither listed on the Endangered Species Act nor listed as an Appendix I species on CITES.

For species listed on the ESA, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service already determines when their importation (and possession) in the United States benefits the conservation of the species. California, which has no expertise in these matters, should not second-guess the FWS.

The apparent goal of the legislation is to discourage residents of California from hunting these species in Africa. Losing the ability to import their trophies will discourage Californians from hunting in Africa.

Should this occur, African wildlife and the rural communities will lose a vital stream of funding for both conservation of wildlife and support for the local communities. Additionally, without the money brought in by hunters, the range countries and professional hunting guides will lose funds for on-the-ground anti-poaching efforts.

Please contact your state Senator today and urge him or her to oppose Senate Bill 1487.

https://www.safariclub.org/wha...-hunting-legislation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trump is being remiss about giving California back to Mexico - he really needs to action that!

The latest buzzword, of course, is "iconic". Kruger National Park used the concept to good effect decades ago with their "Magnificent 7" project, but there they formalised what "iconic" means.

Here in Zim, there are moves afoot - and a lot of pressure from non-consumptive operators who are also members of ZPHGA - to have just about everything except my boerboel made "iconic", but because the term has no legal definition, e.g. in the Parks and Wildlife Act, there is no statutory obligation for the state to comply.

But outfits like USF&WS can be swayed by that kind of jargon despite the IUCN Red List or anything else, especially if the ARAs make it look like it's grass-roots, coming from Africa.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

John, your point is well taken however, folks have no idea as to how many members of the armed forces as an example, have AR-15 type rifles and PCS moved in and out of California. So unless they go door to door, or you have the bad luck of getting caught (by someone who cares) transporting this, odds are you'll be fine.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just one more reason we are putting the "Golden State" in our rear view mirror.The liberals have run it into the ground and it is IMHO beyond recovery.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another "law" that they can use to support affidavits for search warrants for what are nothing more than fishing trips to find something to charge a political opponent. Next they will have a hidden recorder showing a candidate for the assembly offered an unsolicited plastic straw so should face humiliation and two years in San Quentin.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is common practice in CA to introduce innocuous bills that are passed in committee, but not scheduled for a vote on the floor. These bills become "placeholders." After the deadline for new bill introduction passes, the author(s) of such bills do what is called, "gut and amend." The original topic and language are stripped out, and new language put in, usually some pet insanity of a progressive whack-job politician. The bill is bum-rushed through in the final days of the legislative session. As for why this type of crap is legal, it is because the courts in California, including the 9th Circus, make decisions based on what they think the law should be, not what it says. Unless the decision is overturned by the SCOTUS, the law stands. At present, unless Justice Anthony Kennedy is on board, cases concerning guns or hunting are not granted cert. Absent a more sympathetic SCOTUS, and/or action against California by the Justice Dept., there is little that anyone can do about it except to hope that our efforts to persuade Governor Moonbeam to veto the bill are successful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS, If you could contact me by private message I would be happy to do more than just attend the fund raiser. I would like to actively get involved in these matters as I'm retired as a partner from a major national law firm and find the current state of our State profoundly disturbing and dangerous.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
It is common practice in CA to introduce innocuous bills that are passed in committee, but not scheduled for a vote on the floor. These bills become "placeholders." After the deadline for new bill introduction passes, the author(s) of such bills do what is called, "gut and amend." The original topic and language are stripped out, and new language put in, usually some pet insanity of a progressive whack-job politician. The bill is bum-rushed through in the final days of the legislative session.

Insidious & Underhanded Mad

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
It is common practice in CA to introduce innocuous bills that are passed in committee, but not scheduled for a vote on the floor. These bills become "placeholders." After the deadline for new bill introduction passes, the author(s) of such bills do what is called, "gut and amend." The original topic and language are stripped out, and new language put in, usually some pet insanity of a progressive whack-job politician. The bill is bum-rushed through in the final days of the legislative session.

Insidious & Underhanded Mad

The way I understand it, this is similar to how the ACA was done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once someone shines the light on it...
It is very easy to see how gun owners, hunters and trappers have become disenfranchised by the gangsters in Sacramento.
I have ranching contacts in NoCal and bowhunt there as a nonresident every year.
As a nonresident I have very little "juice" with state congressmen but have reached out to voice my displeasure nonetheless.
I would encourage you to do the same.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the outcome of the Committee discussion/ vote was today? CA is simply a lost cause. Too many pigs dining at the public trough, willing to vote for any idiot that panders to their stupidity.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
Once someone shines the light on it...
It is very easy to see how gun owners, hunters and trappers have become disenfranchised by the gangsters in Sacramento.
I have ranching contacts in NoCal and bowhunt there as a nonresident every year.
As a nonresident I have very little "juice" with state congressmen but have reached out to voice my displeasure nonetheless.
I would encourage you to do the same.

Over the years I have gone door to door handing out materials opposing the stupid gun laws, posted signs on our land bordering a major highway, written hundreds of emails, letters and made hundreds of phone calls as well as donating thousands of dollars to the NRA, CRPA and pro gun candidates. What has it gained? NOTHING!
This 5th generation native Californian is getting the hell out. The last blood they will get from me is the capital gains when our ranch sells. Good riddance. Arizona here we come.
I hope they build the wall on the east side of California to keep the illegals and welfare crack heads out of the United States of America.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand full well your frustration.

But don't think for one minute that Arizona doesnt have problems of it own.
Where would Arizonans be if the rest of America gave up on us?

Sorry, but I won't quit.

I don't know the word.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
DLS, If you could contact me by private message I would be happy to do more than just attend the fund raiser. I would like to actively get involved in these matters as I'm retired as a partner from a major national law firm and find the current state of our State profoundly disturbing and dangerous.

EB, I sent you a private message with my phone and email contact information. I look forward to your call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The USA needs to "free" California and Puerto Rico from being part of the Union. They are more trouble than they are worth IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder what the outcome of the Committee discussion/ vote was today? CA is simply a lost cause. Too many pigs dining at the public trough, willing to vote for any idiot that panders to their stupidity.

Jerry, it passed out of committee on a straight party line vote. All 7 Dems voted for it and both Reps voted against. I talked with our lobbyist and since he hadn't had much notice about this and hadn't had a meeting with the authors staff yet, he wasn't allowed to testify in opposition. He's getting an appointment with them and writing a letter of opposition. I'm going to try to attend that meeting with him.

This state is seriously f'ed up.