Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lotto Spree
 Login/Join

posted
Apropos of nothing at all, if you suddenly found yourself $640 million richer tonight at 8pm, what would be your first purchases. Given the proclivity of those that read this board, let’s narrow the field to guns and hunts. So, what would be the first gun and first hunt you would order/book?

NRA Life Member
SCI Member

Posts: 24 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
A 40-day Big Five hunt for me along with a plains game hunt for my son; a Rigby .450 NE double rifle with the rising bite action or a Westley Richards droplock in .476 NE.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My wife said, if you won think of all the trips you could make to Africa . . . I told her, hell, for that money I can buy my own country in Africa.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
yuck
Too right, Mike!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Tanzania full bag hunt for all the guys who are giving Aaron stick about Tanzania being too expensive - hopefully this will help them see the light!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
A Holland and Holland Bespoke Royal in 500NE with matching 450/400, marked No.1 and No. 2.

An extended Safari in multiple countries, starting with Tanzania, the common Safari countries, as well as the more off the beaten path venues such as Ethiopia for Mountain Nyala and such.

Would take the wife and both son's as well.

Just in case you're wondering, I haven't given this any thought prior to your question! Whistling

posted Hide Post
Mike, you still need guns in your country. For me, I have already identified the winner... http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/22662.htm

And then of course a long call to Mr. Fulson.

NRA Life Member
SCI Member

Posts: 24 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have that Mountain Nyala and bongo booked in short order. Might spend some money on Governor's tags for those hard to draw species in NA.

I think you'd have $300,000,000 or so left after taxes and a third of that would more than cover my wildest dreams so I think I'd have to try and give back through a charity of my choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My wife said, if you won think of all the trips you could make to Africa . . . I told her, hell, for that money I can buy my own country in Africa.

The newest hunting destination...Jinesaniawana

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'd be going on an Elephant hunt for one of those big Botswana bulls. That is if it's still legal to hunt them. As soon as I got back, I'd start looking for a large ranch to buy in the western US so I'd have my own place to hunt Deer and Elk.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I would buy up all the private land I could in a certain western plains state and re-establish free-ranging wildlife and hunting like Lewis and Clark saw!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be building health clinics and starting self sustaining agriculture projects across all of sun Sahara Africa. Probably do some hunting while checking out all of those locationsSmiler.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I'd put it under my matress with the rest of my money like my Polish grandfather taught me. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Buy all the buffalo and elephant quota in two or three prime areas.

Stay 6 months.

Jump from country to country.

Invite family and friends.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I would see how long it would take me to kill more buffalo than Saeed has.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Buy this Evans 450 NE http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/6121038171 - transfer the money today & hop on a flight and collect it personally & start shooting it tomorrw afternoon.

Book a string of 14 to 21 day hunts starting with Zim for Buffalo, Leopard & PG and moving to a bull elephant and then to Tanzania to be really spoilt - total 6 weeks. Hunt Guinean fowl, sand grouse and francoline too.

While in Africa - buy up a Safari outfitter / concession in wild remote Africa with plenty of game which can be really stalked & hunted.

Now I can relax and really start buying some nice rifles - like a pair of Holland & Holland doubles in 300 HH & 375 HH - both flanged. Also a couple of nice bolt action classics like a 7X57 and a 404 Jeffery.

Then buy some hunts around the world - Sindh Ibex, Markhor, Blue sheep and Urial in Pakistan, Marco Polo sheep in Tajikistan, Brown Bear in Alaska, Bird shooting in Argentina, ....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I would book a season in Africa. Kind of like Teddy, just travel from country to country and see what came into my sights. Oh, did I mention I would be flying my own Pilatus PC13?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A new wheel for my lawnmower.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
zimbabwe

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't spend a penny of it hunting in Africa.

Alaska, Australia, and Argentina would see some of it. There is enough hunting in those locales to amuse me for a long time, and far fewer charlatans operate there than in Africa.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Smiler

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the payoff is paid annually but (before taxes) amounts to around $60,000 per day. I don't think I could shoot fast enough to avoid saving money on a PG/DG combo anywhere on the African continent. For at least a year, I would just migrate with the hunting seasons.... Namibia, Zim, Burkina Faso, Tanzania, etc. and live in hunting camps. I would also immediately buy one hell of a ranch in the middle of nowhere Idaho to serve as the home address I gave to my taxidermists. I would then do the exact same thing in North America in year 2 of this adventure.

As for guns...I think I have everything I need as it is.

One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would do is buy an obscenely large ranch here in the states. Then a big 5 safari followed by bongo anf LDE. Then a car and gun buying spree the likes this world has never seen.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
far fewer charlatans operate there than in Africa.

George

I know that you have been burned multiple times, but I disagree.

Most of the PHs/outfits in Africa have a huge investment in their reputation, and they survive on their hunting business alone.

Most guides/outfits here in the US have income sources other than hunting. I feel that we have more "fly by night" guys here in the states.

You can get burned anywhere. IMO, the best bet is to go with someone with a rock solid reputation no matter where you hunt.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever wins it will be my Grandpa, whether they claim me or not!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ma Baker:
I would buy a Tanzania full bag hunt for all the guys who are giving Aaron stick about Tanzania being too expensive - hopefully this will help them see the light!

lol

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would spend a lot of time in warmer,sunnier places.I would buy a big home by the sea with a forest in the back so I could listen to all the birds sing when I wake up.I would hire a cook,a house keeper,and gardener.I would hunt Africa every year for as long as I enjoyed hunting there.I would not hunt in North America because I just don`t feel like it-it is too developed anyways.I would like to visit China and Russia and many other places.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
It's always hunting season somewhere on the planet and the fish are always biting somewhere else. I'd make sure my family were secure and then do a bunch of adventuring with my wife. beer

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy the most profitable hunting companies I could in Tanzania, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Canada, US, Australia and NZ.

I would also buy a production company and fund a massive propaganda spree that was pro hunting.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I have killed any this year yet! Confused

And I have withrawal symptoms!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
And not only was the coffee cold, but it was growing long green whiskers.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'd take my linens and grundies out of the washer and put them in the dryer since I forgot to do that last night.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would retire just to hunt the world the rest of life, help my friends and family and needy causes. And very importantly create my own political pac to tell the truth about obama and defeat him in november.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new wheel for my lawnmower.

You hunt with your lawnmower??

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, the winning numbers were drawn and.... I"m not going to Tanzania for 2 months.

Posts: 3910 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pay off my mortgage, oh I don't have one OK hunt all the spiral horned and pygmy antelope. Does that suprise anyone. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build a rugby Staduim at the US Air Force Academy and name it after someone else.

Pay o fthe land my home Club owns.

Build a nice comfortable log home with a trophy room that could hold a hell of a lot of animals.

Buy a small lodge in SA I know is available.

Buy another 100k acre area I know is available in SA.

Lease them out to folks I trust.

Spend the rest of my life hunting when and where I saw fit. I pretty much think I would start hunting country by country untill I had hunted every thing that country had to offer then move tot eh next one.

Oh and a lot of my friends would know the joys of safari hunting.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess we could afford that double wide we been dreamin' about.....

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
Oh and a lot of my friends would know the joys of safari hunting.

Wouldn't THAT be one of the very coolest things if you won? I think taking one's friends on the hunts a guy most enjoys would be an incredible way to 'share the wealth'.

Posts: 3910 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I had 4 numbers. Oh yea, I won a 16 day buff hunt here on AR in 2005.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=744108315#744108315

Dreams do come true!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote