Find
Notify
Tools

William Evans 450 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I found this rifle with a collector here in NZ. I have been drooling over it for a couple of years. It was made by Webley & is for sale at US$24k.

It is in very tidy condition. I am in one of those lustful moods......

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That gun won't be for sale long. It is a beauty.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, it should sell quickly, if tight and shiny bored. Nice engraving and interesting woodwork. Is the bar extra deep or the wee fore end just an eccentricity? Webley seem to have made lots of good db rifles for other makers but I wonder what William Evans's experience at Purdey's brought to this equation.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Leonard action to me but I am no expert on such matters.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Looks like a Leonard action to me but I am no expert on such matters.

465H&H

Confused Looks like a long bar Webley to me but I also am not an expert! You need to ask Rusty, about the action.

In any case that is a nice rifle, and if the is a Webley number on the front hanger under the fore end then it is a Webley.

The fore end is small, but it looks like the barrels are long making the fore end look smaller than it is. The barrels look to be 28 inches. I have a Westley Richards 500/450 that has 28 inch barrels, and a very small fore end and I love the way it handles.

................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
It is an A&WC Webley screw grip action. Best of the boxlocks by most accounts.
That is a splinter of a splinter forend isn't it?
Great looking gun and I agree, at least here in the states, it wouldn't last long on the market at that price and if everything checks out OK.
The lever looks a bit past center so it may need some tightening work.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius is correct A&WC Webley.

I like the Webley PHV-1 better personally.

No "scientific" reason, I just like the looks of its Doll Head better. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
that Evans is a beautiful rifle.

Butch Searcy has started building rifles on the Webley screw grip action. I have a 375 flanged magnum on order from him - should deliver on or before 15 Sept.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have identical, but I do not hunt in Africa because on could steal it to me

I hunt with Merkel 500 NE very precise

Posts: 8 | Location: PARIS , FRANCE | Registered: 12 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments and the PMs. After a three year struggle with the economy I am slowly coming out of it and hope I can buy this one. I am still swaying between this & a new VC 450/400 or 450 NE at half the price. But this one gets my heart pounding.

It is a Webley screw grip. Date of manufacture has been researched but I am not sure. Does 1906 sound reasonable with that fore end lock up? The condition is awesome. It has been serviced & reblackened by Robert Dollymore (former Purdeys). One of the strikers / inside bit (?) was replaced. Yes it is a long barrelled rifle and handles very well.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the gun is in good condition you can't go wrong, it is all upside. Good luck on your purchase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,

That is a beautiful gun. Would be a good one to stand beside my 450-400 you like so well. My gun was built in 1907 and has the same type forend latch.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sam

Yes it is a great rifle & will go well with "my" 450/400! Big Grin

I am planning for our 2013 safari my friend!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,

Your 450-400!! You wish!! Hey you will be the first I offer it to.
Looking forward to 2013 and smacking some elephant!

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
24k for that quality of a rifle IF it's in top shape AND it shoots well and is an ejector gun...............JUMP ON IT!!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Come on Naki, go for it.

If you wait someone else will buy it, and you will have to find another to talk about.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he wanted to be talked out of buying it not the otherway around Smiler

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The price sounds good if the rifle is sound, esp. since the Kiwi$ is doing well, at least against the Aussie.

I bet the rifle is not an ejector, though, as they were reasonably rare then.

A new VC probably makes sense if you want something to hunt with, and are used to ejectors, but the Evans could make a better investment. As with houses, buying new does not help appreciation.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The rifle IS a rare ejector! All the exposed "white metal" surfaces still have the marks like file cuts or what ever. Robert Dollymore is from the original gun trade of Lonmdon & is a certified master gun maker.

The price I mentioned in US$ at current exchange rates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It would be even better if the maker had got rid of the tool marks but it looks good, has the dolls head and ejectors - if I had the money and a safari coming up, I'd buy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you dod not buy this gun, I might.

Posts: 115 | Location: Sparta (where else?) | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I do not have a close up photo of these "tool marks". For example the muzzle area - between the barrels has the cris-cross marks of some tool - looks very uniform / symetrical. The same with the breach end of the barrel. I remember seeing similar "tool marks" on a new VC & a newish Chapuis as well.

I wonder if these marks ware out with regular use???

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
It would be even better if the maker had got rid of the tool marks but it looks good, has the dolls head and ejectors - if I had the money and a safari coming up, I'd buy it.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What is the general consensus on 28" barrels? I know Taylor said he would not a used a rifle with long barrels after using rifles with 24 to 26" barrels.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My 1905 Gibbs in 450NE, 28" barrels well balanced and handles like a shotgun. If I were to get another gun I would be hard pressed to go shorter than 26".

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My VC has 25" barrels and I originally wanted 26", but the VC tech rep at DSC wanted me to get 24" given my height (I'm 5'10") so I settled on 25. On reflection, I really don't see an issue with 26 or longer in a double and in fact, I think 24" is too short. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Zephyr I just had to take some inderal...your Gibbs is stunning, I mean stunning. If you tell me that is the original stock and finish, this just might be my last post...Elizabeth...I'm comin'!

Im beggin' for more pics if you got 'em...

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Unfortunately I do not have a close up photo of these "tool marks". For example the muzzle area - between the barrels has the cris-cross marks of some tool - looks very uniform / symetrical. The same with the breach end of the barrel. I remember seeing similar "tool marks" on a new VC & a newish Chapuis as well.

I wonder if these marks ware out with regular use???

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Those marks at the breech end and muzzle are decorative, they are not tool marks left by the maker.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
What is the general consensus on 28" barrels? I know Taylor said he would not a used a rifle with long barrels after using rifles with 24 to 26" barrels.

My 470 Evans is from 1919 and has 28" barrels. It balances beautifully and the 28" barrels did not get it the way on both my elephants hunts with it in the Zambezi valley. Lot's of trecking through thick jesse with no issues.

BTW, it's a twin to Zephyr's 450 Gibbs. They're both Webley built A&W C actions and very nice rifles as is the Evans in question.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately of unfortunately the stock is not original... The grip cap might be the give away. Sorry the only other pic that i have is of the same angle.
The gun is going to Zim this fall for Eles and Buff.
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Zephyr I just had to take some inderal...your Gibbs is stunning, I mean stunning. If you tell me that is the original stock and finish, this just might be my last post...Elizabeth...I'm comin'!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Zephyr,

Still a stunner...good luck and have fun on your safari; look forward to the report!

Do you know who/when did the restock?

Again, lovely rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Found one more thanks for your interest
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO those marks on the breech end is from the gun being put back on face, the marks on the end of the barrel is probably the squaring off the barrel ends to be re-crowned
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
The rifle IS a rare ejector! All the exposed "white metal" surfaces still have the marks like file cuts or what ever. Robert Dollymore is from the original gun trade of Lonmdon & is a certified master gun maker.

The price I mentioned in US$ at current exchange rates.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Z! Congrats on a really fine rifle.

posted Hide Post
As the owner of the William Evans I can confirm it is built on a Webley screw lock barrels and action and stocked and finished by Evans.Evans served his time at Purdey as did Robert Dollimore here in New Zealand. The file marks? on breech face and muzzel are decorative duplicating the pile change similar to a lawn cut alternatly in opposite directions.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
The file marks? on breech face and muzzel are decorative duplicating the pile change similar to a lawn cut alternatly in opposite directions.

Is this also called 'florentine"?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wecome to AR! at last the lurker has been lured out by his own rifle! Big Grin

How is the Greener pair doing?

quote:
Originally posted by kiwigunner:
As the owner of the William Evans I can confirm it is built on a Webley screw lock barrels and action and stocked and finished by Evans.Evans served his time at Purdey as did Robert Dollimore here in New Zealand. The file marks? on breech face and muzzel are decorative duplicating the pile change similar to a lawn cut alternatly in opposite directions.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Zephyr,
Nice Rifle, nice Randall!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Fine rifle BM.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote