New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last of the legends
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We may have some living legends on the this web site - Saeed, Larry Shores ect. Guy who have hunted and shot a lot of stuff in Africa. Don't think they are going to be many more in anyone starting to hunt Africa today.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/world2050_rank.html

These numbers are terrifying. Look at population growth from west Africa (Liberia, Burkina faso, Nigeria, Congo, Ethiopia, Somalia).

In another 35 years Africa population wise will be changed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first went in 1988. The change of population is shocking to me. You could be right.

I think the continent will implode. The do gooders are making it worse not better.

Legend? Not a chance!

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first went in 78. Bulawayo was really a pretty town,clean and alive. It is sad now compared to then. I don't think African hunting has a bright future but I hope so.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I first went in 1988. The change of population is shocking to me. You could be right.

I think the continent will implode. The do gooders are making it worse not better.

Legend? Not a chance!

Don't count yourself out too fast Larry. You are held in very high regard by most if not all on this site.

If you want to talk about all time African hunting legends still living I would rank the top 3 as follows.

1) I believe Andrew Holmberg is still alive and living in Denmark.
2) Harry Selby
3) Adelino Serras Pires

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Legend? Not a chance!

Larry, nice that you are being modest but it's true!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

Legend? Not a chance!

Don't count yourself out too fast Larry. You are held in very high regard by most if not all on this site.

If you want to talk about all time African hunting legends still living I would rank the top 3 as follows.

2) Harry Selby
3) Adelino Serras Pires

Holmberg lives in the south of Sweden. Born 1918 will be 97 in May.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
quote:

Legend? Not a chance!

2) Harry Selby
3) Adelino Serras Pires

Holmberg lives in the south of Sweden. Born 1918 will be 97 in May.

Thanks for the correction. Not even close with Holmberg as the greatest living African Hunter. His clients took 63 elephants with I ivory over 100 lbs on each tusk. Personal best was 141. Held the record for the biggest buffalo 58" that he took personally. Pioneered safaris by camelback into the NFD of Kenya. Hunted throughout the glory years of east african hunting. May go down as the best East African Hunter living or dead. Enough said.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this was really supposed to be about population explosion . However, it seems that this has taken a turn.

There are some guys out there who most have never heard of. Their exploits are nothing short of amazing. In 2008, I had the good fortune to spend 3 days with just such a gentleman. His name is Ray Makwehe. He has taken over 2,000 elephants as an elephant control officer in Hwange. This guy was amazing. I loved every minute of it.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this was really supposed to be about population explosion . However, it seems that this has taken a turn.

There are some guys out there who most have never heard of. Their exploits are nothing short of amazing. In 2008, I had the good fortune to spend 3 days with just such a gentleman. His name is Ray Makwehe. He has taken over 2,000 elephants as an elephant control officer in Hwange. This guy was amazing. I loved every minute of it.

Yes I turned the discussion a bit Larry but I thought it would be more enjoyable to discuss the living legends rather than be depressed with population explosion. In 1991 I met Adrian Reed in Vic Falls who had also cropped 1500+ eles in Wankie. I also met another gentleman at the bar in Vic Falls who held the record for the largest elephant taken in Rhodesia...132 lbs. Can't recall his name...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Legend? Not a chance!

It's only 27 years back that Larry went to Africa the first time. I am pretty sure Saeed is in the same 1980s time frame, as are many other members here.

If we go forward 27 years - 2042 - we are sitting on Nigeria with 250 mil. people. These demographic projections are pretty accurate - you need something dramatic to change them - like Aids in Botswana.

Check out Yemens population - over 100 mil.

I saw this and emailed and texted a few guys I hunt with in Africa that the future is producing protein - most likely from fish farming to feed this mass. The wildlife will get decimated.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes I turned the discussion a bit Larry but I thought it would be more enjoyable to discuss the living legends rather than be depressed with population explosion. In 1991 I met Adrian Reed in Vic Falls who had also cropped 1500+ eles in Wankie. I also met another gentleman at the bar in Vic Falls who held the record for the largest elephant taken in Rhodesia...132 lbs. Can't recall his name...

Not criticizing . Just observing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we have to realize that Africa will implode no matter what. The biggest threat to the planet is population growth. The numbers presented show the severity of the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but all the do-gooders who want to eliminate AIDS, Malaria and every other disease -- such as Bill Gates -- don't understand that everything in nature is there for a reason and all have their purpose. Wipe out those impediments to population growth and they all just starve to death.

I know, I'm sounding like a negative misanthrope again.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Hate to say it, but all the do-gooders who want to eliminate AIDS, Malaria and every other disease -- such as Bill Gates -- don't understand that everything in nature is there for a reason and all have their purpose. Wipe out those impediments to population growth and they all just starve to death.

Sir, you are 100% correct.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of you gentlemen
But it's like that everywhere including here in States
Africa is doomed though.
People overthere breed breed and breed and meanwhile we eliminate diseases, Mosquitos , tse tse flies etc,
What were we thinking?
Same said for a south East Asia

And legends?
Plenty of them among the PH's as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at that list -- and I didn't see Tanzania, but over the years, they have a whole lot of really cute kids there -- too many, unfortunately.

I noticed significant projected declines in population in certain countries, mostly European and rather controlled growth in some countries, even African countries. The limited increases in Africa seemed to be in the desert countries that were not predominately Muslim, Namibia and Botswana.

Someone should, and probably is, studying this and determining the reasons for population increase in particular places, as opposed to others. I'd be interested in the reasons.

Some have blamed the Catholic Church for the population explosion in Mexico, Central and South America based on the historical teachings against contraception, but that can't be the answer. Look at the increases and projected increases in countries where the Church has little if any influence, including predominately Muslim countries. They have been pushing the use of condoms in many areas of Africa due to AIDS, but there is a lot of resistance to their use in Africa.

I agree that the population explosion is a serious concern worldwide and especially in Africa, but why don't Namibia and Botswana seem to have the same issues? Why doesn't AIDS, malaria, tryps, cholera, etc. control the population any more? It used to.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at that list -- and I didn't see Tanzania, but over the years, they have a whole lot of really cute kids there -- too many, unfortunately.

I noticed significant projected declines in population in certain countries, mostly European and rather controlled growth in some countries, even African countries. The limited increases in Africa seemed to be in the desert countries that were not predominately Muslim, Namibia and Botswana.

Someone should, and probably is, studying this and determining the reasons for population increase in particular places, as opposed to others. I'd be interested in the reasons.

Some have blamed the Catholic Church for the population explosion in Mexico, Central and South America based on the historical teachings against contraception, but that can't be the answer. Look at the increases and projected increases in countries where the Church has little if any influence, including predominately Muslim countries. They have been pushing the use of condoms in many areas of Africa due to AIDS, but there is a lot of resistance to their use in Africa.

I agree that the population explosion is a serious concern worldwide and especially in Africa, but why don't Namibia and Botswana seem to have the same issues? Why doesn't AIDS, malaria, tryps, cholera, etc. control the population any more? It used to.

Just looking at the raw data - its does not seem religion, culture, ethic group or race really matters. It across a geographic zone - a latitude band - stretching from Atlantic to Aden.

The numbers are just mind blowing between 1950 and 2050.

We need to get in fish farming.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sir, you are 100% correct.

I disagree - there is do-gooder stuff as some would say but the growth numbers are happening in places where there has not been a diaproptionate focus of ngos ect.

I also don't think these places are going to strave to death.

The wildlife may be all replaced by human activity but i don't see massive starvation.

I think all this population boom may be great for the aggregate african economy - terrible for wildlife.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It ain't religion

http://www.photius.com/ranking...ion_projections.html

Is just geographic explosion

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

2) Harry Selby
3) Adelino Serras Pires[/QUOTE]

Good to hear us talking about real hunting legends. In my opinion there are no celebrity hunting legends , and I say that with respect as I know some very well.
I would not leave Ron Thomson out of the mix. Although most of his Big game hunting score was in service of the game department and not for private gain or guiding clients , it is amazing what this man did in his career , probably exceeding any hunter alive today. His books are well worth reading.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am envious - Larry/Saeed and the cohort/group that started hunting in 1980 and even 1990s will be last of the legends. Got to see a lot of wild Africa than anyone will see in next 35-50 years.

Tanzania with 85 mil. people in 2050 - 10 times the population of 1950.

I need to up my trips from 1 to 2-3 a year - hunt a little less maybe but see much more of the country and wildlife. Before it all becomes a sea of humanity kind of like India today.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beretta,

I never said it was about religion. Just making an observation. Perhaps it is more about a lack of TV. Just joking, sort of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
beretta,

I never said it was about religion. Just making an observation. Perhaps it is more about a lack of TV. Just joking, sort of.

Definitely free time somewhere to make all these babies :-)

The numbers in Uganda, Congo, Ethiopia, Yemen, Nigeria - just blow my mind.

Time to go do some hunting or atleast see some of these countries before they are a mass of humanity.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beretta,

Agreed, hunt while you can. It won't last forever. And it is scary.

Spend some time in Arusha. All of the many school children about. One the one hand, our educators could take a lesson. They are all dressed neatly in their uniforms and go to and from school in groups, singing along the way. Happy to be there, no baggy pants, etc. On the other, there are a whole lot of kids.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

There will always be a smarter, adaptive better bug. As populations get denser they will be ripe for the picking when a proper influenza virus "drifts" or mutates into something like the Flu of 1918.

The other interesting aspect of that particular pandemic was that the young and healthy were the highest percentage killed. Alaska had entire villages wiped out except for some elders and the very young.

Essentially a bug that took out the breeders.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

There will always be a smarter, adaptive better bug. As populations get denser they will be ripe for the picking when a proper influenza virus "drifts" or mutates into something like the Flu of 1918.

Agree 100% - just think something bad will come out of India or Southern China. Large congested cities and a over medicated population. Perfect environment for a killer bug. I think we also get that before 2050. Mean while I got to read up more on fish farming.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered why a lot of the Indian population and the Chinese population wasn't wiped out by some pandemic.

The population explosion in Africa is the #1 problem for wildlife. It is really hard to watch.

If one takes the BEST places in Africa today, they would have been just an average place 25-30 YEARS AGO. Nothing special.

The world needs to wake up. The population explosion will be the end of the world as we know it. Something needs to be done and done now.

I know one thing. I am damn glad I am 59. I won't see the worst of things but rest assured, they are coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always wondered why a lot of the Indian population and the Chinese population wasn't wiped out by some pandemic.

The population explosion in Africa is the #1 problem for wildlife. It is really hard to watch.

If one takes the BEST places in Africa today, they would have been just an average place 25-30 YEARS AGO. Nothing special.

The world needs to wake up. The population explosion will be the end of the world as we know it. Something needs to be done and done now.

I know one thing. I am damn glad I am 59. I won't see the worst of things but rest assured, they are coming.

Larry on a population density basis India and China look no different than Germany or Netherland.

They are just big !!!!!

The population explosion in the band I posted is massive even by all other growth standards.

The dirty little secret around the world is you need an increasing population base - even if you are the most ardent French nationalist - end of the day you will demand an increase in population indirectly cause all developed economy are dependent on increasing population base. We know what happens when it does not increase - its Japan and its very ugly.

But for wildlife - this is going to be terrible same for hunting.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The smart thing you did was start hunting Africa early - why you are part of the living legends. Even what was done from 1980s on will not be replicated.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Sanchez-Arino has hunted Africa since 1952....still do at 83..

Jose Pardal...a portuguese, hunted elephant extensively in Moz up to 1975. Being a schoolteacher he spent the summer in the bush with family and friends...he died 2013..

I strongly recommend his book "Elephant hunting in Portuguese East Africa" printed by Safari Press..Pardal was rather fanatic about ele hunting... Wink

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryshores:

Larry on a population density basis India and China look no different than Germany or Netherland.

Mike

I would never have thought that.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Insect protein is the future...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:

2) Harry Selby
3) Adelino Serras Pires[/QUOTE]

Good to hear us talking about real hunting legends. In my opinion there are no celebrity hunting legends , and I say that with respect as I know some very well.
I would not leave Ron Thomson out of the mix. Although most of his Big game hunting score was in service of the game department and not for private gain or guiding clients , it is amazing what this man did in his career , probably exceeding any hunter alive today. His books are well worth reading.[/QUOTE]

Yes Jan real legends.. Another one or two.. I believe Anthony (Tony) Dyer is still kicking and living at Borana Ranch in Kenya. Angelo Dacey of Sudan fame believe alive as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa will be home to an estimated 2.4 billion people by 2050. That is a hell of a lot, sure, but Africa is a huge continent that is increasingly urbanized. As people move into cities, large scale farming increases, and the standard of living increases, hopefully protection of wildlife will be a priority. I'm not as doom and gloom as most of you?

I deleted the photo because it was so large for the forums.

Please resize it down to 1800 pixel max if you wish to post it.

Saeed

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...291006121#1291006121

Safari2,

My friends Rose and Sam Pancotto hunted with Andrew Holmberg and I believe took three 100 pounders on their trip. Sam has amazing stories of his hunt with Andrew. Their hunting trip is in Andrew's book "Out in Africa".

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storms:

Yes, Africa is massive. It has been totally mismanaged by corrupt governments. It is a disaster now. How will it be any better with the population explosion? I don't see how.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Someone forgot to include Canada, but I guess they don't have population explosion

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...291006121#1291006121

Safari2,

My friends Rose and Sam Pancotto hunted with Andrew Holmberg and I believe took three 100 pounders on their trip. Sam has amazing stories of his hunt with Andrew. Their hunting trip is in Andrew's book "Out in Africa".

Awesome Kathi. Thanks for passing it along.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storms,

Zimbabwe had large scale farming, but that hadn't worked so well after Uncle Bob took over.

The concept of delayed gradification is not very common in Africa, not a lot of long term planning. It is more about get what you can, while you can. I think this will only get worse as the population explodes.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the wildlife will suffer greatly during the population explosion. I also think the people will suffer, as political conflicts increase due to fights over resources.

Again I hope I'm wrong.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should Ron Thompson be included? Reading his book "Mahohoboh" and besides being an excellent read he has some bag numbers that are quite impressive. Well over 5000 elephant?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote