one of us
posted

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Only in Africa.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I guess putting a fence up would be out of the question? LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good landing area...makes you wonder how they didn't see it.

I don't have the details. Anyone know what happened?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Looks like a good landing area...makes you wonder how they didn't see it.

I don't have the details. Anyone know what happened?

Yukon, I don't have any first hand info on this, but there are several indacators in the picture that tells me some thing, after being in the aircarft business for 31 years, before retireing.

It is evident the right wing hit the jiraffe in the neck about two feet below the head. This would indicate,to me, the plane was off the ground when impact occured. That and the fact that the wind sock is flowing back toward the accident, would indicate the was on take off, because of the shortness to the end of the strip. My forst thought was the jiraffe was on the side of the runway, and maybe in the trees so he wasn't seen. When he heard the plane getting near, he ran in the plane's path, and the pilot didn't have enough altitude to miss the jiraffe, nor enough speed to to make an evading maneuver, without stalling the plane.

Of course that could be all wrong, as well! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have a commercial pilots certificate, and a little experience flying. The second most frightened I have ever been in a plane was in the Okavango Delta.

As we started our takeoff roll, every Lechwe within 200 yards decided to run to the airstrip. All of them ran on to the strip and ran beside the plane until we took off.

The pilot acted like he didn't even see them.

I looked over at him after we cleared the trees and he just smirked and said, "They always do that."

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Now that's spooky, hitting a giraffe!

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Looking at the inboard left wing for flap extension it looks like about as much flap, maybe 30 degrees? as you'd ever use for takeoff in what appears to be a Cessna 182. It's been a long time since I flew one but I have a couple of hundred hours in 182's (Out of 3000 plus on a multiengine ATP) and I don't remember any conditions calling for takeoff flaps over 20 degrees.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good observation! He must have been landing.

Unless the impact drove his knee into the flap lever ...

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
The second most frightened I have ever been in a plane was in the Okavango Delta...

Now that's the way to start a story! So what is the first story?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know which has more damage...the giraffe or the plane. Talk about your one shot stops...that giraffe is all wadded up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats one time I'd rather be a steenbuck...

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Well Mac & Wendell,

I appreciate your take on this as experienced pilots. BUT even though I have no experience with aircraft whatsoever... this is the internet and I have watched a lot of conspiracy shows on cable.

By looking at the way the corners have been removed from the piece of roofing tin, the guy with the white tee shirt is standing and how the door is open on the vehicle on the left... I think it's obvious that the plane is a decoy to attract personal injury lawyers. The giraffe is completely unrelated to the plane but has laid down in this spot to fake a suicide.

Nice try to link the two but I don't buy it.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My observation is it looks like giraffe head was into the prop and body into right wind. Most likely landing from position of flaps. Would have been much worse crash if plane was taking off.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
Looking at the inboard left wing for flap extension it looks like about as much flap, maybe 30 degrees? as you'd ever use for takeoff in what appears to be a Cessna 182. It's been a long time since I flew one but I have a couple of hundred hours in 182's (Out of 3000 plus on a multiengine ATP) and I don't remember any conditions calling for takeoff flaps over 20 degrees.

You may be right, I didn't see that! The flap on the damaged wing is not even 20 degs but the wingsection is torn off the fuselage. this may have dammaged the servo motor, pulling it loose from the screw that controls the flaps, pulling it free allowing the flap to drop. The fuselage is also bent, and the horrisonal stabilizers are all bent up as well, and the main gear. There is a lot of damage to this airplane, and may be to the occupants as well, hope not! Eeker

I would dearly love to talk to the pilot! I've been in some very tight spots in Alaska with bush planes, and sometimes you need real iron pants for sure! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have friends that have died piloting small planes in Alaska...very unforgiving environment. The guys up here would love to see a landing strip like that compared to what they have to work with.

That still puzzles me as the area is quite open. Like most accidents it is probably a combination of errors that caused it.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't stepped up to claim responsibility. Surely one of us was in the area???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Kyler's interpretation of the picture! You guys are getting way too technical. It's obvious! Someone should send this to Johnny Cochran or whatever his name is.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah but who has power of attorney for the stink bull? He's not talking...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flown a lot in Africa. This just demonstrates the natural camoflage of the giraffe. He'd be difficult to see against the brown background, particularly if the sun was directly overhead or close to it and there was little shadow.

The flaps are in the landing position. Lucky they didn't center-punch it with the prop spinner. Could've ended up with additional fatalities.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
A letter to Johnny Cochran will be difficult...he died (O.J. really didn't do this one!!!) a couple of years ago.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It there a trophy fee on this one?

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Hell! Someone should take this case. Where is JudgeG when you need him?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Actually this happened in Tanzania and it proves how dangerous it is chartering tourist hunters in the Tanzanian bush, so they are going to have to triple the charter fees for hazardous duty, and the government is going to add another $12,000.00 to each flight for cleaning up messes like this one. rotflmo

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That figgers...

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the flaps and the bend in the prop I'd say landing accident as it appears from the prop damage that it was a low power or power off prop strike.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pilot but I think that the plane hit the giraffe.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

You never know maybe the giraffe hit the plane.

You never know when one of those long necked suckers is going to come uncorked and start swatting planes out of the sky.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Didn't one of the "redneck" comedians do a bit about a plane hitting a deer?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

Genius!

I have a photo somewhere of a private plane that hit a deer with the prop...the deer will never play the piano again.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a finishing round was need on the Cessna? animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a one-crunch kill to me...

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think this goes to show giraffe are DBG!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote