Find
Notify
Tools

more on canned lions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Got any pictures of your Lion that you might like to share with us?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

Why yes Steve I do, and if you take the time to look into the thread "Too much of a good thing" you'll see why they aren't posted here on AR. I will add this thread is exactly what I was refering to and the reason this is the last post I'll make on this thread.
I'm as anti canned as anyone but as an American I'll never give up the fight to see that everyone has the opportunity to make the choice for themselves.... a lesson some Americans could use a refresher class in!

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You can always email them to me......

Or do I smell an incoming troll alert?

Actually, maybe it's just CATShit I can smell.
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Steve we have a saying here in the state, "A fox smells his own hole first", nuff said.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
SOP, to call out a bullshitter: Pictures, he'll either post someone else's pictures (like he did with Ray Lozano's) or he'll come up with some pseudo-principled quirk as to why he doesn't post pictures.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge, someone posting pictures is their call not your's or Steve's. With photo shopping how do you know the truth about any picture posted on the internet?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
You know me right? I hope you'd think that I would not lie to you or make stuff up. Trust me on this one and if you are really interested, PM me. See you in Dallas. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Here is my take on the subject.

What's the difference with shooting a Lion and a milk cow in a Kraal ? One creates an emotive response and the other doesn't.

There is no doubt that the practises used to 'shoot' lions in South Africa is reprehensible. Many customers are happy to pay to do it and where there is demand there is supply. This does not only apply to Lions in South Africa but hunting in general.

I am led to beleive that this requirement to have lions 'free' for two years prior to elimination has been in the pipe line for quite some time and smart 'suppliers' are already 'on-line'. All this legislation/regulation does is prevent those who do not comply, from exporting their 'trophys'.

As Saeed said, it's all about exporting the trophies. Without that option the industry will collapse or contract in size or go elsewhere.

There is also the the threat that this ban will spread to other species.

Someone said the future is in education, and I also beleive in the cultivation of a different ethic in regard to lion hunting.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
Here is my take on the subject.

What's the difference with shooting a Lion and a milk cow in a Kraal ? One creates an emotive response and the other doesn't.

Some years since I had to shoot a cow or young bull in a kraal. Used to use my .22 LR and aim for the centre of the immaginary intersection of lines from eyes to opposite ears when standing in front of the soon-to-be-meat animal. Quite emotional! My kids always hated me for a long time afterwards. FWIW they are still both meat eaters and my son a hunter.

But you are correct by stating that it is a quite emotional thing shooting a cow in a kraal!

On a serious note: I've said it before and will repeat it here again. Kortbroek van Schalkwyk played a poor political game by proposing and promulgating the new TOPS regulations, that amongst other, stipulates the 2 year free living period for captive bred lions before being shot. He had very adequate and effective regulations to put an almost immediate stop to canned lion shooting: Issue a directive that restricts the issuing of export permits for canned lion trophies. Whole industry collapses, or as said, goes elsewhere. Simple and effective! But no, typical of a 'Terrorist Organization Turned Government' he and the ANC had to go about it in a most rediculous way!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
quote:

Why yes Steve I do, and if you take the time to look into the thread "Too much of a good thing" you'll see why they aren't posted here on AR. I will add this thread is exactly what I was refering to and the reason this is the last post I'll make on this thread.
I'm as anti canned as anyone but as an American I'll never give up the fight to see that everyone has the opportunity to make the choice for themselves.... a lesson some Americans could use a refresher class in!
if you are anti canned hunting, why spend good money to "cull" a lion at one of these breeding operations that you seem to look upon with disdain?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
quote:

if you are anti canned hunting, why spend good money to "cull" a lion at one of these breeding operations that you seem to look upon with disdain?

Jdollar that is a legit question and one I'll reply to. Please read the thread "Too much of a good thing" I started. In it you'll see this (cull lion) was a birthday gift an the entire cull hunt was a gift from friends.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jdollar that is a legit question and one I'll reply to. Please read the thread "Too much of a good thing" I started. In it you'll see this (cull lion) was a birthday gift an the entire cull hunt was a gift from friends.

If you are against canned hunts you ought to have stuck to your guns, thanked your friends for their thoughtful gift and stated the reason for rescinding it. Big Grin

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you are against canned hunts you ought to have stuck to your guns, thanked your friends for their thoughtful gift and stated the reason for rescinding it. Big Grin

The lion segment was the only part that was behind anything other than a 2 strand barbed wire fence. And yes you are correct I should have.

One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
Just got this from News24.com - they are probably up in arms about the 2 year period because how would semi-tame lions eat if they are set free?? They would have to learn to hunt instead of being fed and how would they learn to do that when they have been reared by humans???!!! stir

Cheers, Gail

Lion breeders challenge ruling
2009-06-19 22:06
Bloemfontein - South African lion breeders are to apply for leave to appeal a recent court ruling that could end trophy hunting of lions bred in captivity.

Chairperson of the SA Predators Breeders Association Carel van Heerden said on Friday the breeders had no other option.

"We are forced to do this due to the situation in which we found ourselves," he said after a meeting in Bloemfontein.

The ruling by the High Court in Bloemfontein on June 11 could spell the end of trophy hunting of captive-bred lions in South Africa.

Van Heerden said the meeting heard that there were more than enough grounds for an appeal application.

Canned lion hunting

The court's ruling was made after the association challenged the validity of certain provisions of the Threatened or Protected Species (ToPS) regulations, drafted in terms of the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act.

The parts that were challenged dealt with trophy hunting of captive bred lions - commonly called "canned lion hunting".

The breeders wanted the removal of the provision requiring captive bred lions to be set free 24 months before being hunted.

The court held that on the facts of the case there was no procedural unfairness in the development of ToPS regulations.

The court also found it was practically and physically possible to comply with the provision requiring captive bred lions to be set free 24 months before being hunted.

‘Industry will come to an end’

It held the argument by the breeders that the financial implications of this provision were too onerous was not relevant to the matter.

The breeders' application was dismissed with costs.

Van Heerden said the industry would come to an end if it had to comply with the 24 month release period as it meant that facilities and animals worth millions would go to waste.

"This is not what we want to happen," he said.

Endangered Wildlife Trust welcomes ruling

Van Heerden reiterated that the association did not agree with the set period of 24 months because it was not scientifically based but rather "grabbed from the air".

"There is no basis on which this 24 month period was set on.

"We made scientific based submissions to the minister (former environmental affairs minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk) which was not even considered."

The Endangered Wildlife Trust had welcomed the court ruling.

The department of environmental affairs also welcomed the ruling and said it could now continue to amend the definition of "listed large predator" in ToPS to again include the lion.

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

this is the last post I'll make on this thread.

::::SIGH:::: jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of Tam Safaris and Ms. Olivia in all their feline glory. Decide what you think:

http://www.versuscountry.com/i...d=2506§ionType=2

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote