Notify
Tools

Being Prepared
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Be Prepared, by Peter Flack

Fun read, but I was amazed that the author did not draw the key lesson from his experiences.

When hunting, one should always carry his rifle with a round in the chamber and the safety on.

That, to me, is the essence of being prepared.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never listen to gun writers.

As soon as I am out of the truck, a round is chambered and safety on.

Stays that until we are back at the truck, or have stopped after shooting something or lunch.

Never, NEVER, walk in the bush without my rifle with a round in the the chamber.

My PH does exactly the same.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
An ode to preparation
"Be Prepared" / Tom Lehrer

https://youtu.be/gkrheaWuShU

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%.

Some PHs have suggested to me that their rule was that the client needs to have an empty chamber while hunting, only chambering when an animal was spotted. I then told them my rule, and that is, my chamber will be loaded as soon as I step off the truck, safety on, finger out of the trigger guard/well, muzzle always pointed up (My choice. Some want it pointed down to the ground, but I do not subscribe to this position; I am short, and my muzzle is too close to the ground).

I recognize that we all have our own preferences, and that a PH may not feel comfortable with my choice, in which case, I inform him that we will then not be hunting together. This is all discussed well in advance of the hunt via email before I send a deposit. It’s only fair to both parties to have this fully understood before the client leaves his home for the hunt.

This is how I always hunt, but especially in Africa or other locations when hunting DG, or areas where DG exist.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being Prepared

by Michael Robinson

yuck

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Me Two!!!...........
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Stays that until we are back at the truck, or have stopped after shooting something or lunch.

Never, NEVER, walk in the bush without my rifle with a round in the the chamber.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Learned that lesson the hard way some years ago, though fortunately without injury.

We left the car to look for the cause of breaking limbs not far off the trail and got cut off from the car by the elephant herd, not 100 yds off. Not a single rifle in our hands.

Since then I never leave the hunting car without a full magazine and chambered round of the appropriate cartridge. Whether the PH carries a rifle or not on a brief look ‘at some tracks’ I carry mine.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I agree 100%.

Some PHs have suggested to me that their rule was that the client needs to have an empty chamber while hunting, only chambering when an animal was spotted. I then told them my rule, and that is, my chamber will be loaded as soon as I step off the truck, safety on, finger out of the trigger guard/well, muzzle always pointed up (My choice. Some want it pointed down to the ground, but I do not subscribe to this position; I am short, and my muzzle is too close to the ground).

I recognize that we all have our own preferences, and that a PH may not feel comfortable with my choice, in which case, I inform him that we will then not be hunting together. This is all discussed well in advance of the hunt via email before I send a deposit. It’s only fair to both parties to have this fully understood before the client leaves his home for the hunt.

This is how I always hunt, but especially in Africa or other locations when hunting DG, or areas where DG exist.

Mike, we have hunted together many times and I trust you and am comfortable with your rifle safety procedure but I will not have an inexperienced hunter walk behind me with a loaded gun.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Learned that lesson the hard way in Zimbabwe while hunting the BVC. Got off the truck and approached a water pan without my rifle to check for tracks. I suddenly heard PH Martin Nel yell at me to stop and to back up slowly to the truck. When I returned, he, in no uncertain terms, told me to never, ever leave the truck without my rifle, a round chambered and on safety. He then had me look through my binos at the heavy brush just on the other side of the shallow water pan. Two big male lions were crouched there and had been watching me approach the pan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is always ready to go and on safe when I leave the truck and stays that way until I return to the truck. I've never had a PH ask me to do otherwise while on safari.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
I agree 100%.

Mike, we have hunted together many times and I trust you and am comfortable with your rifle safety procedure but I will not have an inexperienced hunter walk behind me with a loaded gun.

Thank you Andrew for the compliments. I love hunting with you! And if I were a PH, I too would not have an inexperienced hunter with a loaded and chambered rifle behind me. Only makes logical sense. That is why when I communicate with a ‘new to me’ PH before booking a hunt, how long I have been hunting (since a small boy) and the rifle safety training my parents taught me at a young age. Of course, the PH doesn’t know this, and perhaps may not trust the first time client is even telling the truth! So, some PHs may insist on an empty chamber. The problem with this rule, is that it violates my sense of personal safety in the field, so, I am forced to look for another PH/outfitter who will ‘take a chance’ on my honesty and integrity, and allow me to hunt with the chambered rifle. Thank you Andrew for trusting me. We have had a lot of exciting hunts together, and I am looking forward to many more with you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All good advise but I will have to add, a lot depends on the client, and the PH must be in charge..I probably need to add that also depends on the PH, they too come in all sizes..

The booking agent and/or the Safari co should have a set of rules, advise, needs, whatever is important to give to the client and agreed upon..

None of this is cut in stone, so should be discussed prior to the hunt, and still poop happens, so be open minded and don't spoil a safari..Its just not a perfect world..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5 Wildcatter:
quote:

Learned that lesson the hard way some years ago, though fortunately without injury.

We left the car to look for the cause of breaking limbs not far off the trail and got cut off from the car by the elephant herd, not 100 yds off. Not a single rifle in our hands.

Since then I never leave the hunting car without a full magazine and chambered round of the appropriate cartridge. Whether the PH carries a rifle or not on a brief look ‘at some tracks’ I carry mine.

This also why I don’t take rifles not suitable for dangerous game (ie. 375 H&H). My next buffalo hunt I will have a 416 and 375.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been with Tim Ellement in Zim a few years as he was recovering from a client inflicted gun shot to his mid section, I always ask the PH what he prefers and we discuss it.

I use a Blaser quite a bit, so it is inherently safer with a cartridge in the chamber than other rifles, so I have never had to unload and reload repeatedly during the day. Further, when I use a Model 70, I rarely walk with a round in the chamber unless a follow up or a final stalk.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good bolt runner can chamber a round in well under a second. If you short stroke it I guess you might be in for it. I think it is too situational for there to be a one size fits all rule.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One PH did a most stupid thing one could imagine.

Loads a round, bolt open, pulls the trigger, closes the bolt!

Now he has a chambered round with an uncococked rifle with the firing pin resting on the primer!!??

His reasoning was it is quicker to cycle the bolt up and down in case of an emergency than pushing the safety off!

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see Peter is writing again. I've always liked his writing.

I too load up as soon as I leave the gari and carry the rifle myself, but ... I've screwed up to. Was hanging a leopard bait once next to a korongo and there was work to be done, so I left my rifle in the gari. Well, managed to bump onto a pride that had killed a buffalo and they weren't real welcoming. Too far to run, so that uncomfortable backwards walk was the only option. Haven't let the gari without a rifle since.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with most here, I'll carry my rifle chambered and on safe every time.

That said, there are PLENTY of people going on safaris that I don't want behind me with a loaded rifle. I think that's half of what the range session before the hunt is about... Let's the PH see whether you know what the F you are doing with a rifle.

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of the 14-15 PH's I've hunted with wanted you to be locked and loaded with safety on anytime you left the safari vehicle. One PH wanted me to carry the rifle on a sling at all times and I've adapted that policy myself but the rifle is loaded.

I agree you should follow the PH's instruction. If he's not comfortable with you following him with a loaded rifle don't do that. Too many hunters are not aware of where their muzzle is at all times.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I think most of the 14-15 PH's I've hunted with wanted you to be locked and loaded with safety on anytime you left the safari vehicle. One PH wanted me to carry the rifle on a sling at all times and I've adapted that policy myself but the rifle is loaded.

I agree you should follow the PH's instruction. If he's not comfortable with you following him with a loaded rifle don't do that. Too many hunters are not aware of where their muzzle is at all times.

Mark

Good advice and I hut many repeat hunters who I am confident of their safety behind my back

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now he has a chambered round with an uncococked rifle with the firing pin resting on the primer!!??

His reasoning was it is quicker to cycle the bolt up and down in case of an emergency than pushing the safety off!

In so far as the Mauser wing safety he is probably right, by the time you grasp the safety flag and turn it 180 degrees to fire you could wack the bolt handle up and down to cock the Mauser very quickly.

It is always thought the danger with this method of carry is if the rifle was dropped or the hunter fell and the butt was thumped to the ground the inertia could see the firing pin retract somewhat and then go forward under spring pressure to hit the primer enough to cause a discharge. Or in the act of the rifle falling the cocking piece could hit a rock or hard wood edge driving the firing pin into the primer.

I knew two hunters who carried their rifles this way, one for walk up bush shooting whitetails, his rifle had a forward/back wing safety on the cocking piece but was far quicker to cycle the bolt handle when he jumped a whitetail.

The other hunter, a staff member of mine, had a very nasty accident when carrying in this manner. He had spooked a deer which ran around a corner in the creek bed he was walking so he chambered a round and lowered the bolt to the uncocked position. He was carrying the rifle in both hands and ended up tripping over ramming the muzzle hard into a large rock which caused enough forward inertia to the unretained firing pin and cocking piece to set off the primer.
The blast sent shards of bullet and rock into his arms, one leg, chest and face. One eye copped some bullet jacket pieces. He managed to walk a mile or two back to his campsite, pack up his gear and drive to the nearest farm where he was medivac'd to hospital by chopper. They managed to save his eye although he did lose some sight in it. This may have been a rare occurrence but obviously potential for a bad outcome.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

This method was recommended by Captick in one of his books.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

What am I missing here? I don’t understand the argument that moving a bolt up, and then down, is less distance, and therefore faster(?), than moving a safety forward off safe. Never mind the noise a bolt makes doing it as fast as one can, or having the firing pin resting on the primer of the chambered round? How is this method ‘better’ than simply pushing a safety forward?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What am I missing here? I don’t understand the argument that moving a bolt up, and then down, is less distance, and therefore faster(?), than moving a safety forward off safe. Never mind the noise a bolt makes doing it as fast as one can, or having the firing pin resting on the primer of the chambered round? How is this method ‘better’ than simply pushing a safety forward?

Nobody here, yet, is arguing that the uncocked rifle with cartridge in chamber method is better, however it is a method used by some. I must admit I have tried it and where noise is not an issue i.e. the animal is aware and on the move, it is quick and easier to grab the bolt handle, rack it up and down and then shoot. Safeties on the bolt shroud are not always as easy to locate and operate when in a hurry.
The other issue is that trigger block safeties are definitely not something I and many others rely on when walking in a party or negotiating rough country and bush stalking. I don't imagine many PH's enjoy someone walking behind them relying on a trigger block safety only. Hunting videos show way too many hunters pointing their gun barrels at PH's and others in the party, the so called African 'carriers' some of the worst offenders.

The wing type safety on the bolt shroud, positively locking the firing pin is by far the safest and usually provides a more visual indication to everyone in the party that the safety is on (hopefully).

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I agree 100%.

And you are absolutely right too.

I see very stupid gun handling so often here in my range, some people I will not even allow them to load a rifle.

I do it and make sure it is pointing down range.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
With rifle in hand what fraction of a second does it take to load it? I carried a Kreighoff for some time and just loved the safety mechanism although it was not classed as traditional. Whereas with the VC you would constantly have to hold it on safe and could easily knock the safety off in thick cover. I have gone back to my tried and trusted 404 and done with doubles.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew raises the real point. A rifle can get knocked off safe going through the brush and such. And the real point is muzzle control and hunting with people you trust.

There is an added safety in letting the firing pin down, but two other issues as well. An accidental discharge while doing so, which is unlikely if done right, or a blow to the rifle with the firing pin in contact with the primer, which also would be a freak accident.
I've debated this issue with some folks until I'm blue in the face and some disagree with me. But some of those folks also carry a 1911 cocked and locked, which I won't do.

I've done it both ways, but my preference is no loaded rifles in the gari. Loaded with a round in the chamber when you leave the car with rifle on safe -- and still watch the muzzle at all cost. Carry the rifle on a sling pointed up whenever possible -- not always possible in close cover, but when not, pointed to the side if in a stick. Up if dispersed.

And I don't know about you, but I check the safety frequently. It's an OCD thing for me.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Capstick’s point was that you had 1 more round available- one chambered and a full magazine. If you chamber a round from a magazine, you are down 1 round. The exception, of course, is if your rifle has a detachable magazine. Chamber a round, fill the magazine. Again, not my idea. Don’t shoot the messenger…

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Andrew raises the real point. A rifle can get knocked off safe going through the brush and such. And the real point is muzzle control and hunting with people you trust.

There is an added safety in letting the firing pin down, but two other issues as well. An accidental discharge while doing so, which is unlikely if done right, or a blow to the rifle with the firing pin in contact with the primer, which also would be a freak accident.
I've debated this issue with some folks until I'm blue in the face and some disagree with me. But some of those folks also carry a 1911 cocked and locked, which I won't do.

I've done it both ways, but my preference is no loaded rifles in the gari. Loaded with a round in the chamber when you leave the car with rifle on safe -- and still watch the muzzle at all cost. Carry the rifle on a sling pointed up whenever possible -- not always possible in close cover, but when not, pointed to the side if in a stick. Up if dispersed.

And I don't know about you, but I check the safety frequently. It's an OCD thing for me.

What’s a gari??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing more important than gun safety.
Years ago, I used to hunt with a professional goose guide here in South East Texas as his assistant. Mostly because I loved to hunt geese and liked to get my dog as much experience as he could get -- he was the second best hunting goose dog I ever saw. The best was the hunter's I was hunting with and the dogs pretty much got along. They hunted together a lot.

We always put the paying hunters on the front line with their guns pointed forward and we sat behind them where we could watch them and mop up cripples with our guns pointed backwards. We did the calling and our dogs retrieved the birds.

We had a safety talk every morning. One morning, we had a group where one hunter kept pointing his shotgun all over the place and swept me with his muzzle on several occasions. I counseled him a couple of times without embarrassing him in front of his friends and then told him that if he did it one more time, I was out of there.

He did. We had birds locked and decoying and I stood up and started to walk out of the spread with my dog at heal. The other hunters wanted to know what the hell I had done, so I explained it. They had a bit of a confab and reached an agreement. The miscreant spent the rest of the day in the truck. The rest of us finished the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Gari" is swahili for car.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

My go-to rifle does in fact have detachable magazines. Which is a huge plus in my opinion.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have had my safety turn off in the bush once.

Since then my thump is always on the safety, to make sure it stays there.

Very easy with my rifle, that has a Dakota 76 action.

The safety is in the right place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had my safety turn off in the bush once.

Since then my thump is always on the safety, to make sure it stays there.

Very easy with my rifle, that has a Dakota 76 action.

The safety is in the right place.

I too hunt with Dakota rifles, and also hunt with my thumb on the safety, when I am in close cover or on a stalk of game, holding it at port arms. When in the open or not on stalk of spotted game, my rifle is slung over my left shoulder (I am right handed), rifle in front of me, with my left hand on the forearm, muzzle pointed up. With a flick of my left hand on the forearm, the butt of the stock instantly comes to my right shoulder, ready to shoot. I really like this method of carry. YMMV.
Oh, another nice thing. You automatically end up in a tight sling with this method.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I think most of the manufacturers of bolt actions for use on dangerous game would measure the capacity of their guns by counting the magazine full and one in the chamber. Jeffery did this when advertising his new 1905 Mauser 404 Jeffery rifle - (sic) "flush magazine holding three cartridges, and admitting of the bolt being closed on one cartridge in the barrel, thus enabling four cartridges being fired without recharging".

So Capstick is recognising this point of maximising the cartridges available in the rifle, just a matter of how the hunter ensures safety when he is locked and hot.
The 180 degree Mauser wing safety is probably the best ever as it is the least likely to be turned the full 180 degrees to the off position by catching in bush or when carried on the sling.

lavaca makes the point that it would be a freak accident if a blow to a rifle carried with the bolt uncocked on a cartridge in the chamber discharged, however in an earlier post I have given a first hand account of an AD caused by the muzzle of a rifle being pranged onto a hard rock surface while being carried uncocked with a round in the chamber. So it is not just dropping the rife on it's butt that has potential to discharge a chamber cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shit can and does happen in a Mini second, loaded on safety in the bush is the only way..a cow buff in the high grass came out of nowhere on one of my hunts with Saeed and a hunter and PH got scratched up a bit was an example, Ive been caught red handed on a couple of hunts, the point is an empty gun on the streets of NY or wilds of Africa, is nothing but a awkward club..

Ask before you book, if you don't like the answer, book with someone else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Shit can and does happen in a Mini second, loaded on safety in the bush is the only way..a cow buff in the high grass came out of nowhere on one of my hunts with Saeed and a hunter and PH got scratched up a bit was an example, Ive been caught red handed on a couple of hunts, the point is an empty gun on the streets of NY or wilds of Africa, is nothing but a awkward club..

Ask before you book, if you don't like the answer, book with someone else..

I agree 100% with all said above Ray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I agree 100%.

I don't feel comfortable walking around with a loaded rifle; never had an AD, but I am going to guess more PHs/clients have been injured/killed by ADs than by DG happenstance encounters.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't feel comfortable walking around with an unloaded rifle. I've screwed up and left my rifle in the car when hanging baits and had a surprise protest from felines of one sort or another. Female elephants are about. No more.

I chamber a round when I leave the gari and put it on safe and I carry my own rifle. Period.