THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I'm sorry about this, but I need to vent!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm sorry about this, but I need to vent!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although I don't post on this page much, I need a place to vent and get this monster off of my back. Kind of a therapy session. Well, I am 36 years old, young fella, and I make a normal living and wife is a school teacher. Two years ago the wife and I went to South Africa for a 12 day hunt. Unreal and wonderful......Great right? The problem, I can't get Africa out of my mind!! To the point that I've gotten chewed out at work because I was lost in a Capstick book during work. My everyday thoughts are of the dark place that I long to go back to. It's not just a nice little "Yea, I would't mind going there again" but more of a case of losing my sanity if I don't get back soon. I've read about 12 books so far that let me escape my "normal" life, but I think it only makes things worse for me. Since the only way I know of to fix this requires money "which I'm fresh out of and still paying my taxidermist from 04" I was wondering if there was another remedy to fix my mental sickness. I can only relate how I feel to falling in love and wanting to see that girl every minute!! Anyway, feel much better now and I'm off to bed......probably to watch ol "Ionides" wack a tusker at 10 feet..........Thanks.....wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an idea for the next hunt...

Go for non-trophy animals (cow elephant, or PAC bulls maybe?) and pay no shipping and no taxidermy fees. You can generally get a cow ele hunt for 6K or a PAC ele for 8500 to 10K. Plus airfare. Plus tips. Plus plus plus...

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJR, posted a great price for a cull hunt. That is also an option.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Wapiti, you will probably just have to get used to the feeling. In my case, and I've done three African safaris now, it just seems to get worse. My bookcase is pure Africana, I have too many big bore rifles, I don't have any walls left in my small home to hang a trophy even I did get some more and I post here as if I knew what I was talking about when my experience isn't nearly what many of the members of AR have. Welcome to the club.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy for you at all.

I was a ripe, old 45 years of age by the time my kids were gone, and I could do my first.

There is nothing like hunting in Africa. It is special and you need to suffer long and hard to be able to go or otherwise it is just another vacation.

Suffer, suffer my boy. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. I have regrets about everything I have ever spent money on. Landscaping, house, furniture, cars, ect. I think now of every purchase that is wasted unless it is spent for another hunt. I have been twice in 10 months and wish I could go every year.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll know it's really bad when you start looking at the paid off and relatively new SUV in the driveway and thinking..."hmmm, I wonder what I could sell that for?" Compact cars...ecofriendly and safarifriendly! Big Grin

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It is a pretty bad disease. I can only get relief by going back next year.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!!!!! We went in 2003 to get it out of my system, yeah like that worked. So we went back in 2004, we leave in 32 days for Namibia and are already planning a trip for 2007.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty darn close to Chapter and Verse for me!

My biggest fix is coming very soon as my trophies are awaiting shipping! Woo Hoo!

Right now I am in the process of finishing out my basement for the arrival of our first baby; a new hunting partner to take with me next time, so the money for Africa is just not there.

My only fear is that next time isn't soon enough! But I WILL go back!

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. Going back to Africa certainly eases the pain for a while, especially during the planning, packing, handloading and during the hunt itself. But the second you board the plane in Jo'burg for the return trip to the states, you re-enter that "when am I going to be able to go back," funk.

Let's face it, whatever your religion, whatever your relationship with your wife and family, whatever dedication you had to your job, you now have a new master! It's Over, my friend, might as well face it!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going back to Africa certainly eases the pain for a while

Come on GAHUNTER! Don't lie to the guy like that! It won't ease the pain, your telling me you aren't thinking about the next safari while on the plane back across the Altantic!

I know I am!

It is uncureable! face it you are done, your hooked! Big Grin And that my friend is great!!!!! clap

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I cannot tell a lie Eeker It only gets worse. I was 60 on my first trip to Tanzania, been to SA, I am now 64 and booked my third back in Tanzania cheers

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I feel for ya man. There are inexpensive ways to go..

This is the worst addiction I have had. Worse than:

redheads
flying
golf
blondes
cigarettes

I would give up all of these to hunt when I wanted in Africa. (I would still have brunettes...)

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here's a different opinion...

Throw out all videos, books, and other things that remind of Africa. Stop visiting this site, and other African hunting related webportals. Burn your trophies.

Stop torturing yourself! Unless you like it! Wink

Frans (the next post will be my 1000th; better make it a good one!)

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had six previous innoculations and am now scheduled for 21 days in August 2006 and 14v more in Sept.2007.Don't know for sure , but the illness shows no sign of abatement yet.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
It beats the Hell out of being a golf fanatic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SierraBravo is correct. I may have the cure! Big Grin

See this post:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?m=362108064&a=tpc&f=1411043

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Wapiti; You're not alone in this...Africa is worse than drugs, EH??!! I started younger than you on a young exec. salary with my wife working professionally as well. Hint, she joined me on the first three trips and at age 62 on Thursday, 7 trips under my belt and 13 different safairs...it won't get any better...just keep focused on yuor job...keep the wife working...and being DINK's also helps...ie double income NO kids...and it can be done just like the rich guys...although I don't envy you in where the prices are going today!! Everything runs its pendulum...hunts will probably swing back too??...keep investing in RealEstate...buy,fix,sell/rent...twice a year and you can go to Africa every year!! Good Luck....

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa is like eating those potato chips....nobody can go just once!

Smiler

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Only one safari so far.For some reason my invetment stratagy when I was younger didn't work-I spent most my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted !

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hell! Don't listen to these guys, just decide to drive that car for another 10 yrs, and buy only the food it takes to stay alive, then go borrow enough money, on a five yr loan, to finance another safari, and get the hell back to Africa! It's only money, and you can take it from a guy that is as poor as a church mouse, if you want to do it, you can! There ain't no luggage racks on a hearse, so you can't take anything with you, and even death will not destroy the memories! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're just lucky you only went to South Africa. If you would have seen the "real" Africa; ie. Tanzania...you would have been fired twenty-three months ago! Wink
It's kinda like playing putt-putt golf then finally getting to play 18 at Pebble Beach!
Seriously, enjoy it for what it was...stimulus!

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

How very true i'm glade that i'm not the only one infected.. Big Grin Big Grin cheers

Hamdeni thumb

quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. Going back to Africa certainly eases the pain for a while, especially during the planning, packing, handloading and during the hunt itself. But the second you board the plane in Jo'burg for the return trip to the states, you re-enter that "when am I going to be able to go back," funk.

Let's face it, whatever your religion, whatever your relationship with your wife and family, whatever dedication you had to your job, you now have a new master! It's Over, my friend, might as well face it!

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know you got it bad when you're planning your next trip on your flight back. 53 days to Namibia (not counting or anything).

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You are certainly not alone. I went to RSA in 98 & was planning my next trip on the way home. Went to Moz. for buffalo in 04, now I'm planning another buffalo hunt for 07/08. It's addicting & so unlike any other place in the world to hunt. It's hard to explain to people who don't know but for all of us, we understand the way you feel. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"Afica is undoubtedly a most fascination wild mistress. She gets a tenacious hold on most persons; bewitching, magnetic, that is almost irresistable, and once experienced, is NEVER lulled into forgetfulness."

May French Sheldon 1891

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up tobacco many years ago. I always said that it would have been easier to give up sex and food. I had no idea that Africa would be worse. I retired and went on my first trip. I went back to work two weeks after I got home. It was as soon as I could find a job. I have a friend who has borrowed against his life insurance policy to fund a fix!
To anyone who doesn't have the addiction, we seem like hopeless derelicts but we know that Africa transends, if you are not affected, you are dead!

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Bwanamrm took me last year for my first safari and gave me fair warning..."You are about to be injected with a virus that can never be cured!" Since then, I have been to SCI in Reno, Houston & Dallas. I have books autographed by Richard Harland, Dick Cabela & Craig Boddinton. Bwanamrm and I will be hunting hippo, buff & croc this August in Zambia. HEY, life is good!

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello. I'm Patrkyhntr, and I'm an Africaholic.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote