THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A Great Value in Namibia - A few '07 slots open!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Great Value in Namibia - A few '07 slots open!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear AR friends,

I sent this back to the top because we have a few openings left for this year.

We booked a number of these hunts in 2006 and the guys that went had a great time, see Stu C's report below.

These hunts are almost sold out for 2007 except we have one prime slot available in May which will book fast. We also have a few September & October slots available, although they are limited.

Emailing me directly is the fastest way to reach me: todd@tjsafari.com

Todd
====

We have a great opportunity at an even better value than usual. Our outfitter in the Kalahari asked me to take our normal “management hunt†and throw in 6 extra animals!

This package is a total of 22 animals:
6 Kalahari gemsbuck
14 Kalahari springbuck
2 steenbuck

Spend 5 days at their first class lodge in the Kalahari for only $5050.00 for a 1x1 or 2 hunters may split the 22 animals and hunt 11 animals each 2x1 for $2525 per hunter!

Air fare is approximately $2000 - $2500 round trip per person in economy.

You will fly from the US to Upington RSA where the outfitter will pick you up, and return you at the end of the hunt.

This is not only an excellent value it is a great opportunity to take some great trophies, because even at those prices they will let you take 2 trophy quality animals of each species.

This outfitter has 2 Kalahari Gemsbuck in the SCI top 10! They also routinely take SCI Gold Medal Kalahari springbuck.

This is a great last minute opportunity please call us today toll free at 866-470-0470 or go to our web site for more details and photos of game and accommodations:

http://www.tjsafari.com/KHS-4.cfm

Please note that only the trophy animals may be exported.

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a huge bit of fun.
Are there other animals available at regular tarriff? If so what can be expected?
I will go to the site.
Thanks,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is a good question. There are other animals available if you can find the time to hunt them! It's going to be a BUSY 5 days.

The other animals on the list on my web site may be to far to drive to during this hunt, but it is possible to ask. You can also add days at $350 per day if you are so inclined.

Fly into and out of Upington South Africa.

Ostrich $400
Hartebeest $800
Blesbuck $500
Jackal $250

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
This sounds like alot of fun!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great deal! It's a lot of shooting for one guy over five days.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it's a lot of shooting.

It's a great, fun hunt!

thumb

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time and value.

Jackels - $250 ????

Are Jackels rare in your area?

Are they a different sub-species?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure they are blackback jackals.

In most cases they don't actually charge if you shoot a jackal. It's just what is on the price list. Baboons are the same, there is a a price of $175 but they don't ever collect it.

I think they'd be thrilled if you pummeled the baboons. Whe I was there in September they wanted me to hammer the baboons, but we were very busy looking at different camps and hunting bigger species.

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a shot of a gemsbuck I took with the outfitter in September 2005

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Anybody got $2525 i can borrow? Big Grin Sounds like a ton of fun

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am told that Rathner has to wear a hat to keep the glare from putting off the critters..... jumping
Kidding aside, he is a pal, he has hunted with the folks he recommends, and if I was planning on an African trip this year I would go on this one in a heartbeat. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill is correct, my shiny head has scared off a critter or two! homer

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some folks asked in recent emails so please note:

For the hunts in the Kalahari it is best to fly in to and out of Upington RSA about 3 hours from the lodge in the Kalahari.

For the hunts starting up in The Khomas Hochland you will fly in to Windhoek Namibia, and out of Upington RSA.

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
what kind of shots are you allowed to take? on some of these management hunts you are allowed only head shots (they are selling the meat) and you are penalized if anything other than a head shot is taken? Just curious thanks james

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They certainly want the meat. But there is no penalty for taking "boiler room" shots.

You will get a lot of shooting experience on this trip. It's an awesome "warm up" for a big safari.

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

one of us
posted Hide Post
So you arrive in Uppington RSA then drive across into Namibia and back on departure? How does this affect someone bringing in their guns, etc??

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's no problem. - Permits can either be acquired by the outfitter in advance or you can obtain them as you pass through. Land border posts are not generally computer linked to the CFR so they write them out by hand and as long as you have the original import permit it's no problem....... usually takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get everything done and you're on you're way again.

We do quite a lot of hunting in (Tuli Block)Botswana and usually take our clients into RSA and across one of the land borders there......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve is absolutely correct. It is no problem to get the paperwork dealt with. My outfitter there does it all the time.

There are no big lines because you don't have 100 hunters getting off a flight from the US needing permits.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I always thought that little bushman looked like a monkey. He was the most primitive man I have ever seen.

And don't get up wind of him.

Hell of a tracker though.

I think his name was Berrit? Is that right Todd?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That looks like a heck of a deal. I already have my first Africa trip planned (going in May, can't wait!) but I'll be on the lookout for great deals like this in the future.

Posts: 104 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seth,

Close enough Seth, his name is "Berend". It is hard to believe how well the San trackers can see, and track.

The most impressive was watching how they were able to get us back to the lodge in pitch black darkness.

When they tell you there are gemsbuck over that hill you better get ready to shoot.

Amazing people.

TJR

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Todd, I hunted with both him and Sachman. They are both amazing trackers.

Sitting in the tv-room watching that damn Afrikaans soap opera with all the blacks standing in the Lapa looking through the window watching it too.

That show's and tin collecting was Maybe's passion.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Crazy little bushman!

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Here's Sachman the fat one. They tell me that Bushmen have a hard time staying skinny on the diet they got from us.

Sachman is proof. Actually Berrend was the only skinny bushman I saw.

Old John was allegedly not a bushman.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Todd this is me and the infamous Spaniard Jose. With a nights bag of springhares and wildcats. We didn't pick up all the skunks, springhares, and everything else we killed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great photos Seth!

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Todd as you can see we have the same genetically assigned haircut!

posted Hide Post
I hunted with Johan and his folks last July.
What a great group of people and Mabel's cooking is wonderful. Todd and D99 are absolutley correct about Berand and Sachman's tracking skills; excellent. There were four hunters in our group (My friend, our two kids, and I). All took 39" Gemsbok except me, mine was almost 38" with very heavy basies, tips were broomed off on this ole boy. If anyone decides to take advantage of this great opportunity, you have to hunt ostrich with Johan. Ask anyone who has, they will tell you it is a wonderful experience.

Posts: 38 | Location: South Korea | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve just returned from 8 days in Namibia (5 days hunting) after taking up this offer with Todd.

We were treated royally by the hosts. The hunting terrain was magic, the food excellent and accommodations great. The BBQ area could have easily become my home away from home Big Grin

I hunted 2:1 and split the bag with my hunting partner – 11 animals each for $2,525. Any way you cut it this was a fantastic deal. For anyone wanting to pack in a lot in a short period I’d recommend taking a look at this as an option (although I have no idea if the offer is still available).

cheers,
- stu

1st day Gemsbok

Last day Steenbok

For a Wallabies supporter it's always great to see a few less Springboks running around. Wink

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are some really nice animals .It sounds like you guys had a great time.Please give us more pics and details.The more ,the better.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu,

Thanks for the kudos! The offer is still available, however I leave for TZ on July 8th so if any last minute folks want to squeeze in a trip in August or September they need to act mighty fast!

Great photos!

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That is a helluva steenbok, Stu...what did he measure? BTW, my buddy els who posts here is doing this hunt all by his lonesome...he is going to burn the barrel out of his beautiful little MS 6.5x54 mannlicher! 22 animals in 5 days!!! A real schutzenfest!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies Stu congratulations. If you had the hunt to do again would you still choose the 30-06 or some other calibre in your extensive battery?

regards,
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,
- not sure his exact measurements. I was told 5 3/8 + 5 ¼ one day, then 5 ¼ + 5 1/8 the next day. Whatever it was, it was apparently pretty good. Johan told me it might have been the biggest one any of his clients had taken. Blind luck on my part. I completely missed a shot on a smaller one a couple of hours earlier, then this guy showed up.

John,
- I didn’t have a better choice than the 30-06 ready to go. It did the job fine. Mike had a 300 Win Mag and a 257 Weatherby with him and I don’t think they were out of place. The distances offered on some shots could be a real stretch.

Check out the landscape

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Check out the landscape

cheers,
- stu

The funny thing about the landscape - in particular as it appears in the photo above - is that it is almost impossible to photograph. In the picture, it appears almost flat and featureless. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth, but attempting to catch its true nature on film proved impossible for me as well.

Imagine an ocean of grass with waves of red sand crested dunes stretching as far as the eye can reach. Far from being flat and featureless, it is a never ending change between dunes and flats. Total fascination, incredible beauty, lots of contour, perfect hunting area, long shots!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics. By the way, it sounds like a fantastic price and a great trip.

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Todd

Since you posted this BTT I assume the hunts are still available?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammit!! I just blew five grand on a lousy Saskatchewan deer hunt with nothing but trouble from start to finish. Now I'm really ill!! Mad

Africa from now on if it is nothing but management hunts, and the hell with whitetail. Besides, I've always wanted to go to Namibia, as long as I don't have to fly SAA.

Looks like a 7mm Rem or a 25'06 would work well.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Dammit!! I just blew five grand on a lousy Saskatchewan deer hunt with nothing but trouble from start to finish. Now I'm really ill!! Mad

Africa from now on if it is nothing but management hunts, and the hell with whitetail. Besides, I've always wanted to go to Namibia, as long as I don't have to fly SAA.

Jetdrivr - YOu have come to the same conclusion I have come to. Never again in North America in the cold, snow, and smelly guides.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

==============
Todd J. Rathner
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096