THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Wanting to book first ever African Hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting to book first ever African Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time reading some great info, learning, and enjoying some great hunting reports. And the time has come for me to ask for some advice in regards to planning my trip.

My dad and I are wanting to book our first ever hunt in Africa. We have taken an annual hunting trip together for the last 7 years, and now we both finally have the time and finances for a plains game hunt together.

We are interested in a 7 day plains game hunt with high hopes of harvesting kudu, gemsbok, impala, zebra, and warthog. Really looking for fun and enjoyable experience of Africa in addition to some good hunting.

We have been looking hard at warthog safaris (met with them at the Dixie Deer Classic this year) and Cruiser Safaris (www.cruisersafaris.com). Have heard good things about both operations, with cruiser safaris being about $1000 cheaper for same package of animals listed above. Both outfitters operate out of the Limpopo Providence of South Africa.

Anyone have any experience or helpful comments in regards to these two outfitters?

Furthermore, any other outfitters that y'all strongly recommend for our consideration?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mature animals is what you are after. There the price difference maybe.
Here are 2 additional places to look into.

www.pvt.co.za click on RSA
http://www.okarumutigamelodge.com/en/

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly, don't have to have huge trophies, just looking good mature animals.

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly check those two out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those animals and your budget, H10, suggest you look at hunting in Namibia. Dodge the seven-animals-in-five-days-shoot-from-my-vehicle people and book the hunt of a lifetime.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
I hope you have a great time with your father wherever you end up going!

Try Kanana Safaris in Botswana with Jason Bridger. I'll be going there in September this year with my parents. He has everything you are looking for and is very well priced. I've only heard good things about him.

Gary Kelly Safaris in South Africa have also got a vey good reputation. You will be in very good hands with them too.

Good luck with your research!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take a really hard look at the hunt Neil Duckworth posted a couple of days ago in the Offered Hunts forum. It is Moz. in a great area for plains game, with for certain great people and camps. No doubt great time!

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I like RSA as a country, I have friends there, and I have hunted there. That said, Namibia is giving RSA a serious run for it's money these days. Unless you are looking for a very specialized bag (Nyala, some of the Duiker species, Cape Kudu, etc.) then you can almost certainly get this hunt done cheaper in Namibia in an environment of no high fences, relative safety on the highways, and even comfort in the urban areas. Check out these guys linked to below. Great people, beyond fair prices, astounding food, abundant game, and huge unfenced areas. Not much more to ask for on a safari. I have no commercial interest by the way.

http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim has some awesome plainsgame areas too, I think Bubye Valley Conservancy is the only area which offers Gemsbok in addition with the other requested species.

Good luck!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MANDLAZIM:
Zim has some awesome plainsgame areas too, I think Bubye Valley Conservancy is the only area which offers Gemsbok in addition with the other requested species.

I love hunting plains game in Zim, but by the looks of BVC's trophy fee on Gemsbok ($5000+!), I think I would rather avoid that species there! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
I hope you have a great time with your father wherever you end up going!

Try Kanana Safaris in Botswana with Jason Bridger. I'll be going there in September this year with my parents. He has everything you are looking for and is very well priced. I've only heard good things about him.

Gary Kelly Safaris in South Africa have also got a vey good reputation. You will be in very good hands with them too.

Good luck with your research!

+1 for Kanana

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter10, I hunted with Cruiser back in 2008. They are a great outfit, and a good bang for your buck. Four of us went on their 10 day pkg. We collected about 30 animals on the 10 day hunt. Might suggest, that it's a long way over there, and if your budget will allow, go for 10 days, rather than 7, you can thank me later.... Wink

Cruiser Bob is great to work with, and you should have a worry free hunt.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
I would have a looks at Crusader Safaris.
Andrew's Baviaansriver camp would be ideal for your needs. Great hunting and no high fences.
http://crusadersafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went with cruisers in 2008 also. Everything was fantastic and we had a great time. Lots of animals and they didnt make it feel like a.fenced hunt at all. Huge properties.

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter10,

As Shakari has said on many of these types of threads "Buy the best safari you can afford not the cheapest safari you can find." I could not agree more.

Buy the safari that best meets your needs and will give you the best overall experience. There are many factors that go in the "Safari Experience" other than cost and available animals. Choose wisely.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
And make sure you factor in all of the additional costs that are over and above the basic hunt and trophy fees. Depending on the operator, pick up and return to the airport, changes of hunt location, delivery of trophies to a taxidermist, dip and pack, shipping, gun rental(if required), etc. seem to vary a lot and can add up to thousands of dollars.

One needs to have a realistic picture of the overall costs of a hunt and this can only be done if you are comparing apples to apples.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the plains game hunts I took in South Africa, I had the best hunt and game quality with an outfit called Van Wijk Safaris. Nicest people you would ever want to get to know. Not putting any of the outfitters (PH'S) on the forum down, just haven't hunted with them. It was very easy to become good friends with Andries and his lovely wife, Steffie. They both are licensed PH's and absolutely love to hunt. Their accomodations are great,the food was delicious and plentiful. Just a recommendation.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think going for 10 days or 2 weeks in an unfenced area is the best choice, for any safari. I know I didn't always have more than one week available to me on some of my previous safaris, and I have hunted on many fenced properties, but I now realize that it makes a very big difference in my overall hunting experience. One week is no longer enough for me. If you are going to hunt in South Africa I would recommend trying to hunt on Greater Kruger properties and go for 10 days. If you can put the funds together then go for 10 days in Zimbabwe. You don't need to be hunting buffalo or elephant to get the thrill of sharing some wild landscape with them. But being on foot in dangerous game territory will make your plains game hunt a heckuva lot more fun.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter,

PM sent.

Les Howell

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The best plainsgame hunt I have ever been on and one that consistently produces the best trophies is in Botswana.

Look at Tholo Safaris

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
Sir,

I just got back from the USA and missed this thread over the weekend.

Please check your PM's for information I send you.

With many thanks,

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
As mentioned in previous comments, +1 for Kanana.
Read my report in the link below.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbax:
I would have a looks at Crusader Safaris.
Andrew's Baviaansriver camp would be ideal for your needs. Great hunting and no high fences.
http://crusadersafaris.co.za

Be sure to talk to Andrew about what you want to do. I am going back this year, with my son this time, to hunt with Crusader. No high fences here and many species!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wink:
I think going for 10 days or 2 weeks in an unfenced area is the best choice, for any safari. I know I didn't always have more than one week available to me on some of my previous safaris, and I have hunted on many fenced properties, but I now realize that it makes a very big difference in my overall hunting experience. One week is no longer enough for me. If you are going to hunt in South Africa I would recommend trying to hunt on Greater Kruger properties and go for 10 days. If you can put the funds together then go for 10 days in Zimbabwe. You don't need to be hunting buffalo or elephant to get the thrill of sharing some wild landscape with them. But being on foot in dangerous game territory will make your plains game hunt a heckuva lot more fun.[/QUOTE)

Totally agree..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mandla I could not agree more ,hunting plainsgame in big game country adds so much more a safari. Especially if the areas are massive. Both Zim and Mozambique offer these unique types of hunts.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Duckworth:
Mandla I could not agree more ,hunting plainsgame in big game country adds so much more a safari. Especially if the areas are massive. Both Zim and Mozambique offer these unique types of hunts.

Hunter10, talk to most folks that have been on a PG safari in a genuine DG area and you'll most probably hear of their unigue experiences whilst on Safari- be it walking into a sleeping Rhino, stalking around Elephant to get to your quarry, watching Lions tackle a herd of Buffalo or listening to a Leopard calling at night, it definately adds an edge to a safari. Budget permitting, do it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Tons of helpful comments guys! Sincerely appreciate all the feedback - both on the forum and by way of PMs!

Definitely got an important decision to make very soon. My dad and I are both extremely excited and ready. Thanks again for all the help!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Zim and SA. Going back to SA again this July.
Others have a lot more experience, but basis my experience, I would go to Sa for a first time safari.
Its less hassle travel wise. The hunting is fantastic, with the right safari company.
One thing though, most SA hunts are high fence. If that bothers you, try some non high fence hunts. The high fence concessions are very large though, 10,000, 20,000 and more acres.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
The best plainsgame hunt I have ever been on and one that consistently produces the best trophies is in Botswana.

Look at Tholo Safaris

Yo Wendell, check your numbers (acreage vs sq. mi.) ... ain't I a pest. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, my wife and I went on our first African Safari and our trophy list was nearly identical to yours. We booked with Marius Goosen of KMG Hunting Safaris and had an absolutely amazing experience! I'd strongly suggest you check them out. Best of luck to you- sure wish I could do it all over again fresh!

-John

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
quote:

Look at Tholo Safaris

Aw, come on Steve! 110,000 acres = 171.875 sq miles ... ok, so I round up to 172.

I'll change my website. I'll put 171 sq miles. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
H10

Enjoy every moment of planning your hunt.

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvh40:
H10

Enjoy every moment of planning your hunt.

Best advise yet!

2nd best is to go for more days. With all the travel involved 7 days is gonna be tough on both of you.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
quote:

Look at Tholo Safaris

Aw, come on Steve! 110,000 acres = 171.875 sq miles ... ok, so I round up to 172.

I'll change my website. I'll put 171 sq miles. Big Grin

I really screwed that up, Wendell. What I meant to get at is that the overall property is more like 120,000 hectares. No? ... more than 460 sq. mi.! - and no fence between the hunting and photo areas.

By the way how's Dick doing? I had some great talks with him (listened mostly). Any word?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Steve, there is 250,000 acres at the main ranch of which 110,000 is where most of the hunting happens. the other 140,000 is good for Kudu.

The other property is 150,000 acres and is good for all species, and backs up to the Kalahari Reserve. Sometimes guys hear Lions roaring at night. So, in all, yes, they have a huge chunk of Botswana! Not to mention some of the best Kudu and Eland hunting anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dad and I booked a 7 day hunt with cruiser safaris for this July! I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice and PMs. In the end we felt like cruiser safaris was a good fit for us. We really liked the thought of going for 10 days, unfortunately, 7 days is all our schedules would allow.

Thanks again!
Hunter

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HUNTER10:
Dad and I booked a 7 day hunt with cruiser safaris for this July! I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice and PMs. In the end we felt like cruiser safaris was a good fit for us. We really liked the thought of going for 10 days, unfortunately, 7 days is all our schedules would allow.

You did well and the reports here have always been outstanding.

Thanks again!
Hunter

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote