Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Article's by AR Members
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
While we have all become accustomed to seeing articles by folks like Craig Boddington in our favorite hunting magazines and journals, there are also a number of less-famous Accurate Reloading members who find their works occasionally published. I think it would nice if these authors would announce to our fraternity whenever their writings make it onto the printed page.

For example, if you haven't seen it yet, our own Bwana Cecil has an excellent article in this month's African Hunting Gazette. Entitled 'The Predator in the Bush', it chronicles Cecil's most recent hunt in Namibia with PH Joof Lamprecht at Hunters Namibia Safaris. The story not only describes the special relationship between a hunter and his PH, but also how the prized trophy from a safari may not even have been on the 'dream list' of desired game. It's well written in a modest style and offers keen observations; definitely worth a look.

In the same journal, Craig has written a fine overview of Namibia - the focus of the magazine this month. Buried, too, within its pages is an article I wrote based on a hunting report first presented here on AR. (By the way, that's a real benefit in writing and submitting a hunt report: It serves as an outstanding aide-mémoire for not only penning a more fulsome account down the road, but also for simply recalling many of the important details that would otherwise be forgotten. Try it if you haven't already.)

So take a look at this month's African Hunting Gazette if you can, and should you discover any articles out there written by our more modest members, how about letting us know?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
written by our more modest members, how about letting us know?

I just read one tonight... good one about a family safari in Namibia...author's name not coming to me though...Kirk...Kurt...Kev.., no that's not it...hell, maybe someone else saw it too... ;-)

Very nice story Kim; a great experience to take with you.

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
I wrote an account of hunting elephant in the Okavango Delta in the Winter 2008 edition of the Double Gun Journal.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
KPete,

Interesting you just posted that and I fully agree. In fact, after reading that issue earlier in the week I emailed them yesterday about submitting my own recent safari report.

Like you I enjoy reading the "pro's" reports but the regular guy stories are just as exciting.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I have had articles published in SCI's Safari magazine, DSC's Game Trails, NRA's American Hunter, and a magazine published in Zimbabwe called African Hunter.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim
Thanks for the kind words.When I have something of mine published I go from being excited to being humbled pretty quickly.
And I also like reading stories written by the hunter themselves, it's just way more personal.
Cecil Leonard

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an article on "croc" hunting in "Dangerous Game Hunting a few years back.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth . . .

I think the challenge for the casual writer is to write an article that does not end up just being a narrative hunting diary. I will confess that when I get most magazines and see articles written by hunters recounting their hunts, I just flip the page. The reality is that most end up following a very predictable, at times tedious, blow-by-blow description of their hunt. That is fine for a hunt report but most expect something more in a magazine article.

Let me add that I have not read any of the articles discussed above so the comments are not offered regarding those articles. I will also confess that I have written a number of articles for various publications in the past that are subject to the exact same criticisms noted above.

For what it is worth, I read an article once about the art of storytelling (written by a plaintiff's lawyer surprise, surprise). In that article the author mentioned a number of good points:

- Start strong, open with a paragraph that makes folks want to know what comes next
- Set the scene
- Develop strong characters
- Present a compelling plot, think about where to begin the story, the best place may not be the beginning chronologically
- Develop a theme
- Complete the circle with a strong ending

Next time I sit down to write an article, hopefully I will keep some of these principles in mind.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
When I take the time to write a story about a hunt, I try to just tell a story within the hunt. Hopefully as time goes by my writing ability will improve. As for now, I write like I talk.
I write for the fun of it, that's about it. If some editor is impressed enough by what I've written to publish it, I am honored, if the readers actually enjoy it, I am humbled.
I have a very sweet lady that works for me that pushes me to write & sbmit for publication.
Whether she's sincere or just trying to flatter me, I appreciate her.
But I had still rather read a poorly written story by an amateur, than most articles written by the pros.
I too will consider the rules you mentioned above & try to improve as I go forward.
Thank You
Cecil

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think writing an article is a great way to relive the hunt and preserve the memory. Like you, I enjoy writing them and do it as much for myself as anyone else. The outfitters appreciate them too by the way.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Kipling said good reading is damn hard writing. How very true.

Sports Afield also has good guidelines for writers. I would like to see many more no-name writers fostered into regular pieces, but the outdoor writing circle can be a clique not unlike a gaggle of high-school girls, even if the writing is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Kipling said good reading is damn hard writing. How very true.

Sports Afield also has good guidelines for writers. I would like to see many more no-name writers fostered into regular pieces, but the outdoor writing circle can be a clique not unlike a gaggle of high-school girls, even if the writing is good.

That is very true. Good luck trying to write a story in Petersen's HUNTING about an African hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the greatest writers are terrible storytellers. You can also be a great story teller yet just an average writer.

It's essential that you create vivid imagery in a readers head of pictures they can visualize.. If you can write a story as well as you can tell it to somebody, you can be a good outdoor writer.

My critique of many of the average Joe written articles, is also that they "over-write" their stories.

"I gently nudged the stubborn safety forward in preparation to engage the 3.5 pounds of pressure on the Schillen trigger."

Now as a reader I can't see the logo on the Schillen trigger, nor can I visualize the 3.5 pounds of trigger pressure. As a writer, I would say it all in two words. "I shot"...

Yet on the other hand, I can visualize, "...the thick black lion mane flopping up and down as he saunters off into the bush." I can visualize "...the dust trail kicked up by the warthog as he raced across the savannah."

A good outdoor writer should have his own style. If he appears to have an average vocabulary, yet he spikes his copy with a big word every now and then, it's clear to me he has sought the usage of a thesaurus. I'm not a fan of that.

And then there are guys like KPete who use big words all the time, which is OK because that's his style! I missed you in Vegas man. I hit the big bet at the black jack table at the MGM, and had a pocket full of cash to take you out to dinner, but Buzz told you me you had already headed back East

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
My critique of many of the average Joe written articles, is also that they "over-write" their stories.

I think over-writing can come from insecurity in that the writer subconsciously knows that he doesn't have much of a story but thinks that adding pepper will make it palatable. It's transparent and a sure-fire way to get your stuff rejected. If there is a good story, it's just a matter of clearing the crap away to show it, otherwise all the minute details only serve to alarm the savvy ready that you are likely full of shit. Same goes for first-person (present tense)writing.

Having said that, I think many of these writers can become much better by support, not just rejection. I submitted stuff to Gray's and worked with an editor on a few things and it turned out they didn't want it but in the end, the experience of having a helping hand made a difference in other things I did. Everyone wants to be a writer, yet few actually want to take the time to write readably. Those who do get the rewards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's not only hunting articles are written by ar members. check sports afield and read the gunsmithing articles by steven hughes (SDH) and also his books

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a reprint of my hunt report on here but in case you are bored....

Link

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a leopard story in the African Hunting Gazette a few years back. Bridget, AHG's editor, is a wonderful gal and great to deal with.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
And then there are guys like KPete who use big words all the time, which is OK because that's his style! I missed you in Vegas man. I hit the big bet at the black jack table at the MGM, and had a pocket full of cash to take you out to dinner, but Buzz told you me you had already headed back East

Hard writing makes easy reading. And your point on using big words is very true. Einstein said, "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." Unfortunately, I'm more fool than genius, as my 'style' demonstrates. I'll keep trying.

Sorry to have missed you in Vegas, but I had to hurry back to the Middle East for work. Dinner at Joël Robuchon would have been a hoot. Another time? Glad to hear you did well at the tables! Personally, I've never quite understood gambling, having always viewed it as a tax on the mathematically challenged. I hope you took the house to the cleaners.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had written some articles in:
- Jäger
- Schweizer Jäger
- Skt. Hubertus
- Jagen Weltweit
- Jagdzeit International
- Caliber
- etc.

Mostly in german.
:-)

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Link

Jim:

Thanks for the entertaining and well-written story. Nine animals in three days? As you remarked throughout your article, lucky indeed – that was a fantastic safari by any measure. As for Hyena, that has been my 'white whale' on three safaris, coming close but always failing in the end. How did that full-mount turn out?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Had a story in African Hunter Magazine about my Leopard Hunt. Big Grin Was rejected by Sports Afield because, well.....you know, not a celeb! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Link

Jim:

Thanks for the entertaining and well-written story. Nine animals in three days? As you remarked throughout your article, lucky indeed – that was a fantastic safari by any measure. As for Hyena, that has been my 'white whale' on three safaris, coming close but always failing in the end. How did that full-mount turn out?

Jerry Huffaker is in the middle of it even as we speak. He made me promise not to give away any secrets but if it comes out the way I suspect then I'm sure Jerry will post up a picture for all to enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words on the writing. I have no delusions about quitting my day job.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing quite a bit of writing lately, I have a regular blog: www.americanhunter.org/bullshooters

And have done both print and online work, here's one relevant to this forum:

http://www.americanhunter.org/....aspx?id=4002&cid=52

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wrote an 80-page (as it turned out) book about my May, 2011, safari. I wonder if there'd be any venue that would publish that?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about getting it published, but I for 1 would like to read it.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I ever were to write an article I would go about it like this.I would write down what I was able to remember most about the hunt and describe that as best as I could.I think being simple is the best thing one can do and if you try to make it fancy you will screw it up.I also feel that making it simple is very difficult because everyone tries to bring too much of themselves in it and ends up confusing and boring.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
I wrote an 80-page (as it turned out) book about my May, 2011, safari. I wonder if there'd be any venue that would publish that?

I did the same, after our safari in 2009. Had it printed on heavy stock 5"x8" paper, leather bound with gold foil title on cover and spine and gave a copy to my dad for his 70th birthday, a copy for my daughter and one for myself. whether anyone else thinks it good or not, he and I relive that experience every time either of us reads it.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:

As we all know, there has been a revolution in self-publishing in the past 20-years. A MacBook created with your Macintosh computer using iPhoto has replaced photo albums for many of us, providing a professionally bound, full color book complete with dust jacket at a cost of about $40-60 each for up to 100 pages. I create one after each safari and give some away to interested friends and family.

If your interest is in selling your book, you should investigate Lulu - they appear to be the biggest and most popular of the new self-publishing companies. They will both publish your book and turn it into an e-book (if you want), as well as provide you with an ISBN number and distribution through Amazon. For additional fees they have editors and layout artists, too. Check out their website: Lulu Publishing

Good luck!

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
A MacBook created with your Macintosh computer using iPhoto has replaced photo albums for many of us, providing a professionally bound, full color book complete with dust jacket at a cost of about $40-60 each for up to 100 pages. I create one after each safari and give some away to interested friends and family.

Kim,

That's a great idea that never dawned on me. I have a MAC and I made up a DVD on it in about 3 hours with background music of Michael Olatunji (Drums of Passion from the early 70's) behind a combo of slide shows and movie clips.

For an absolute rank amateur that didn't even read a help screen it came out passable.

The technology available to us today is amazing but the creative spirit still drives the production be it print, photo, or video.

I could take a zillion pictures and few would look as good as any of Anton's.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Kim, I posted on another thread that if I had your way with words, I would be an author. I did not know you actually were an author. I read the article in AHG and enjoyed the hunt vicariously and the prose. Reread, I should say-I did not know who I was reading the first time. Also read frostbit online throught the hotlink-boy was he lucky on that hunt. Good on all of you who entertain us with your words. I have enjoyed most of the posts on AR,especially the African Big Game Hunting forum.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
Also read frostbit online throught the hotlink-boy was he lucky on that hunt.

Tom

Hey you missed the part about "I practiced". Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
When did you guys get your issue??? I have been waiting on mine.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJines:
I think writing an article is a great way to relive the hunt and preserve the memory. /QUOTE]

Mike,

I agree about writing being a great way to preserve the memory. Even when you reread your own prose just two years later you start to see all kinds of reruns in the theater of your mind.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have another author amongst us.
Little Joe wrote a story about his Eastern Cape hunt with Blaauwkrantz & it was published in the DSC Game Trails conv. issue.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Way to go Little Joe.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've had a few published. If interested, you can find one of mine titled "Second Chance Bear" here starting on Page 29.

http://www.scinorthtexas.com/p...-Journal-Website.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd
Well written story.
You also have a way more adventuresome spirit than I do.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks BC! I would still like to take one more crack at a 10 footer over there! Maybe one more time but I don't want to do it going through Moscow again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the largest problems with AR members writing articles in magazines is that here on AR most folks use a "handle" rather than their name. I get a helleva lot of magazines and I do not remember seeing one article authored by someone's AR handle. So, how are we to know an AR member authors and article? Unless someone posts here on AR that ole "Africa Bum" has written an article in some magazine under his given name of Joe Blow, we will never know.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a piece with Daniel Philip Cote for a forthcoming issue of The Double Gun Journal, Kim, that details use in Southern Africa of one of Bailey Bradshaw's small-bore doubles on Damara dik-dik and red duiker.

Earlier DGJ articles include "Double Back in Africa," elephant hunting in the Caprivi strip with an H&H .500/.450 (Vols. XIII No. 4 and XIV No.1) and an even earlier DGJ piece. First published in Safari magazine in the early 90s after a hunt for moose and Dall sheep in the Yukon, using a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 and a Gibbs boxlock sxs in .350 Rigby No. 2.

Best of the Season,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Writing articles for publication can be an enjoyable past time when you return from your hunt. According to a couple of editors that I have dealt with, most amateur writers create a huge workload for the editors. If you want your articles accepted go the extra mile and make sure that your article does not have any spelling or grammatical errors. Me and Joe articles are seldom accepted.

I have written two to three articles/year for the African Hunter magazine over the past four or five years. Although my forum name is 465H&H, my actual name is Walt Bodie and is used in the articles. Most are about elephant hunting. The latest is entitled "look, Listen and Learn" and was published in Volume 17, No 2.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote