New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Perfect Shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where should you aim on a leopard ideally? I have seen on some videos PHs prefer to aim for the shoulder and on other they ask the client to aim for the heart/lung area.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the angle, but so far aiming to break the off side shoulder has worked for me.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one leopard. So, I'm no expert. The heart is a little farther back on the cats than on the antelopes. My PH told me to shoot behind the shoulders, midway up on a broadside shot. It worked; dead under the tree.

You should follow the instructions of your PH because, after all, he will have to do the follow-up if you wound it.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My PH told me to shoot my Leopard on the shoulder. I did and it worked perfectly.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told to aim at a spot and let er rip. LOL
Just kidding.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Imagine a tennis size ball between his shoulders.

Aim for it, regardless of angle.

That is what I do, and all my leopards died with one shot.

Look at my hunt report at the top of this forum.

That is the leopard I shot last year.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is well-covered in my book The Perfect Shot and its revised edition PSII.
The high shoulder/spinal shot will kill a leopard instantly if placed correctly with a quick-expnding type bullet in any calibre from 7 mm and upwards.
With the right quick expanding or better still disintegrating type bullets the high heart/lung shot will sometimes also kill a leopard instantly due to a massive release of hydrodynamic energy with can 'switch off' the refined nervous system of these spotted felines. Use a better quality bullet for such shots and the leopard will run off while grunting - and this means you and the PH will have to go and find it. In low light / darkness having to look for a wounded or dead leopard is an extremely unpleasant experience. To prevent such situations, use the right bullet/caliber combination and shoot it through the shoulder blades. You'll then find it under the bait tree. The PS has detailed diagrams of where to place such a shot.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welp....
You just got the answer from the authority and author of the perfect shot!
Buy the book or the flash cards...to me it’s a must own (although Kevin I would honestly say some spots are too far forward simply because of margin for error left and right...but hey...it is called the Perfect shot)

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Right there. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Make sure you hit a black spot!

If you do not, you are going to have a terrible following game! clap

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
The answer to your question is well-covered in my book The Perfect Shot and its revised edition PSII.
The high shoulder/spinal shot will kill a leopard instantly if placed correctly with a quick-expnding type bullet in any calibre from 7 mm and upwards.
With the right quick expanding or better still disintegrating type bullets the high heart/lung shot will sometimes also kill a leopard instantly due to a massive release of hydrodynamic energy with can 'switch off' the refined nervous system of these spotted felines. Use a better quality bullet for such shots and the leopard will run off while grunting - and this means you and the PH will have to go and find it. In low light / darkness having to look for a wounded or dead leopard is an extremely unpleasant experience. To prevent such situations, use the right bullet/caliber combination and shoot it through the shoulder blades. You'll then find it under the bait tree. The PS has detailed diagrams of where to place such a shot.

Both my leopards died quickly, but the last one did run about 20 feet and my PH found him behind a rock.

Fulvio once told me he would rather look for a wounded leopard in the dark simply because their eyes light up when hit with light. I shot an African wildcat at night just because his eyes lit up, and once saw either a mountain lion or bobcat in the Grand Canyon when I was hiking well before dawn and checking for cats with my headlamp.

It isn't rocket science; aim where Frostbit's wife is pointing and you won't have any issues. You will be shooting off a dead rest so you can't hardly miss unless the leopard moves right when you shoot.

I would recommend checking your zero at exactly the distance you put your blind. I did that with lots of game I had to shoot at close distances but with precision.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good advice, for sure. If you can, be cool! Two guys that I know totally missed their leopards. Never mind putting the slug through their shoulders.

Another person had guides shouting (quietly) shoot ! Shoot! Shoot! One was at a leopard facing the hunting party in a tree.

Both cats were slightly wounded, refused to fight on the follow up, and while no one was hurt thank goodness, the hunter was broken hearted and out many thousands of dollars.

I knew one guide that would advertise some things like … got 6 cats for 8 hunters last year. Meaning 6 got a shot but usually a couple or several were missed or wounded and not recovered.

Good luck! Leopard hunting sure beats the hell out of whacking most of the cloven hoofed ilk .. IMO Smiler popcorn

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is something I have always wondered about!

How the hell can on miss a sitting animal at such a close distance??

One is normally sitting in a blind, with his rifle on a rest, has been sitting there resting for while, so no heavy breathing due to running etc.

I suppose I should not say anything, as I have missed a hippo at less than 50 meters! clap

Right in the open too! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

One is normally sitting in a blind, with his rifle on a rest, has been sitting there resting for while, so no heavy breathing due to running etc.

I suppose I should not say anything, as I have missed a hippo at less than 50 meters! clap

I completely missed a honey badger - from a blind, at only 40 yards?! Smiler But at least it wasn't a hippo! dancing

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

I completely missed a honey badger - from a blind, at only 40 yards?! Smiler But at least it wasn't a hippo! dancing

Yes you did.... animal

In all fairness Aaron , Lions are a slightly bigger target also ... tu2

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never tell the PH about horrendous misses that I have made in my life - until the safari is over and the guy is driving me back to the airport. I suspect that it is easier on their nerves. tu2

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:
quote:

Yes you did.... animal

In all fairness Aaron , Lions are a slightly bigger target also ... tu2

Big Grin

Ya, but I did get 2 porcupines with 1 shot Jan! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure I have told this story before, but it is worthy of mentioning again.

On my very first safari in Namibia we crawled to about 80 yards of some gemsbok in a pan. I was lying prone; as I got into position I took my safety off the Rem 700 I was using. Unbeknownst to me at the time, if you adjust the trigger on a 700 too light and take the safety off with your finger on the trigger (not pulling, just touching) the rifle will go off, which is exactly what happened. Dust flew a good 10 yards in front of the gemsbok and they all took off running. The look on the PH's face said, "This is going to be a long safari..."

I explained what happened, but I am not sure he believed me. I redeemed myself by hitting a running jackal less than an hour later and things went well after that, but I will never forget the look on that PH's face.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife Vicki shot a beautiful cat just two weeks ago in Dande North with Buzz. We personally watched his near-fanatical attention to details when setting up the blind and prepping her for the shot. Everything was done to ensure a perfect broadside presentation, with a good background and noiseless pre-shot preparation. He also did a great job of talking her through the shot. I think that most of the problems with misses or poor shots are due to overly eager hunters who see their dream trophy for the first time, and either rush the shot or focus on the animal, not the crosshairs. Buzz' success rate on good leopards over the last 20 years speaks for itself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A hippo at 50?

From the man who dropped an eland at 500 yards in front of a friend of mine. Wink

I missed an arse shot on a running impala at 30, because the bloody PH was screaming SHOOT, SHOOT at the tops of his lungs, the lunatic Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another friend who has shot over 20 leopards for control purposes swears by the 8X68 with the RWS H-Mantle load. He's says it has never failed him.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a record of having fired one shot at one leopard I applied the same shot I do on all four legged animals.

Centre shoulder shot on side on animal. Otherwise it'd be an angle to break the offside shoulder.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

On my very first safari in Namibia we crawled to about 80 yards of some gemsbok in a pan. I was lying prone; as I got into position I took my safety off the Rem 700 I was using. Unbeknownst to me at the time, if you adjust the trigger on a 700 too light and take the safety off with your finger on the trigger (not pulling, just touching) the rifle will go off, which is exactly what happened. Dust flew a good 10 yards in front of the gemsbok and they all took off running. The look on the PH's face said, "This is going to be a long safari..."

I explained what happened, but I am not sure he believed me. I redeemed myself by hitting a running jackal less than an hour later and things went well after that, but I will never forget the look on that PH's face.

John - I could tell you stories as a guide for 25 yrs that you would NEVER BELIEVE! Wink

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No one can beat Walter in having an absolutely unique hunt.

He loves to shoot zebras and pigs.

My wife brought a zebra blanket with her to Zimbabwe.

We made a frame, and put the blanket on it next to a water hole one morning.

She also brought stage blood!

We took WALTER to that waterhole in the afternoon, and ROY did a grand job of guiding him to the zebra.

He shot it twice! rotflmo

And I ran over and put blood on the bullet holes! clap

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

John - I could tell you stories as a guide for 25 yrs that you would NEVER BELIEVE! Wink

Like the time you used a white truck tailgate as a Pronghorn decoy? sofa

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin dancing

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much experience with leopard, but like 'em like everything else. Quartering to. Hit anything other than an elephant at the point of the near shoulder with 400 grains and they die quickly. Broadside on leopard and it's too easy to hit too far back (as I did once; still dead within 30 feet) or too far forward, either of which could be bad. JMHO. Listen to Doctari.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It’s a big target. A third to halfway up from the brisket, and anywhere from the middle of the shoulder to a third of the way back equals dead cat right there.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I executed a perfect heart, lung, brain shot on one in Namibia. Guess at the last second it turned it's neck to look behind and the 260 grain pass-through smacked it in the noggin. Killed it so dead it didn't even slide off the branch for (what seemed like) a couple of minutes.

So wait for that presentation... Wink

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Pass the bullet thru chest case closed, nothing fancy.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Pass the bullet thru chest case closed, nothing fancy.

Mike

I would agree and the shoulder shot does not allow margin for error. Double lung a cat and in the centre of his vitals is my way.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies. I am waiting right now at the Madrid airport for my flight to Africa. Very excited.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aurelium Fitch:
Thank you all for your replies. I am waiting right now at the Madrid airport for my flight to Africa. Very excited.

Have a great time, come home safe, and tell us all about it.