THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A terrible tragedy, and a little ray of hope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Good day to you all

I write to tell you of a terrible tragedy, and of a little ray of hope which resulted from that tragedy. Once you read the gist of this note, I’m sure you’ll all appreciate that I cannot tell you half of what I’d like to, due to the ongoing investigation that is taking place. I shall tell you what I can.

As some of you will already know, we in the Save Conservancy have lost several rhino to poaching in recent times. It is believed that all the killings have been the work of one man – a highly efficient professional rhino poacher. Over the Easter weekend, this bastard struck again, killing a female rhino on Humani, where I work.

Due to various factors (including the professionalism of the poacher), the rhino carcass was only discovered 4 or so days after the incident took place. I was off Humani at the time and therefore did not attend the scene on the day the discovery was made. But I conducted a follow-up operation the following day with some of our gamescouts, to thoroughly scour the area for evidence. Unfortunately, rain had long since washed away all traces. Whilst the scouts searched in the immediate vicinity of the carcass, I walked further into the mopani, hoping to come across I knew not what, but praying for a clue of any sort. I found no clue that may help lead us to the killer, but I did find something very special.

After walking a large semi circle through the vast mopani forest for about 30 minutes or so, I decided to return to the carcass and see how the other guys were getting on. On the way back, a few hundred meters from the carcass, I walked onto a baby rhino. We were well aware of the fact that the poached rhino had a very young calf (roughly six weeks), but the general consensus was that the calf had long since been eaten by lions, which are plentiful in that area. An abundance of fresh lion spoor strengthened that reasoning.

Of course, I was greatly surprised when I rounded a clump of bush and discovered the calf, lying on its side, staring wide-eyed up at me. My first thought was that it was dead, but then it blinked. Hardly pausing in my stride, I walked on, soon picking up pace and reaching the scouts in a fairly breathless state. The reason I did this was that I didn’t know how strong the calf was and didn’t want to lose it in the dense forest. It had already been alive about 5 days and I knew it wouldn’t last many more. As it was, it was an absolute miracle it had survived that long. Returning slowly to the place with two gamescouts, we converged on the calf from all sides. I approached from the front, whilst the scouts covered potential flight-paths to the rear. The little rhino did not stir as I moved in. As I knelt down and reached out a hand, however, it did move. And my how it moved! Up in a flash, the calf charged me at short range and butted me about viciously! Bowled over onto my backside, I managed to grab hold of an ear and then a front leg. The tussle was brief and very one-sided until the gamescouts grabbed the rhino from the rear. Even then, three grown men struggled to restrain a rhino that couldn’t weigh much more than 60 kilograms. What a feisty little fighter!

I sent one of the scouts back for the truck, and when he returned, we loaded the calf and proceeded to Roger Whittall’s house. Although rhino was now trussed up with mopani bark rope and I had its eyes covered with my shirt, it still fought us the whole way. We were all pretty beat up by the time we got home an hour later!

Jimmy is a little ray of hope in the story that is the Save Valley rhino saga and we have all fallen hopelessly in love with him. After only a few days, he has calmed down a great deal and I am now able to spend much time with him. He is feeding well and thriving, and we have high hopes for him.

I shall keep you posted on Jimmy’s progress, if you wish. I shall also keep you posted on developments with the poaching case, as and when I can. This write-up is simply to keep you informed.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, you'll get the poacher someday. I doubt he'll get what he deserves but all you can do is keeping looking for him. That's a very good bit of news about the baby rhino as it would've been eaten up soon if you hadn't discovered him. Please update us to his progress as he grows.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
David, what a wonderful ending to a tragic event. Hopefully, the little guy will grow up to take his place in Humani. Keep us informed on the poaching story. Best of luck in catching the culprit. Cheers, LDK
PS: it would be fitting if little Jimmy grew up and one day found the criminal slithering through the jesse; remembering him as the killer who took his mother. A drive of his horn into the criminals chest might be ironic.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
What a shame.

We saw the only Rhino brought in to Sango during the day (most were night transfers). Filmed and photo'd the transfer to the holding pen. Very cool climbing up on the crate and seeing such a great beast from 4' away.

Anything you guys need to help that calf?

Maybe a couple of these on anti poacher patrol

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What a little beauty! David, you and the crew done good finding and saving that calf. I hope the poacher is brough to justice sooner than later.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show. David!

We need to figure out some way to spread the word through the bush that poacher testicles are the new hot item in Asia for medicinal remedies. We'll have to leave it to you folks in Africa to determine the price, but whatever you come up with make sure it is for the matched set. Probably will need a thumb to go along with it for ID purposes (make sure it is a poacher).

While one can understand killing game for the purpose of food in a country where starvation is a day to day reality, there should be zero tolerance for a poacher who trades in tusks, horn, gall bladder or some other part of the animal used for medicinal or ornamental purposes.

Bet that would put a crimp in animal poaching.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have wolves here also. We have found the "Shoot Shovel and Shut up" approach to be highly effective. Consider it. Even the wolf hippies don't like two legged poachers. I don't see a downside. I would love to do a PAC hunt for one if you can arrange it. No way the USA will let me import the skull.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
trades in tusks, horn, gall bladder or some other part of the animal used for medicinal or ornamental purposes.

Jim I like your idea about poacher parts! having said that, your quote above points out the real problem, demand. When demand ceases, the poaching goes away. Perhaps one day our politicians who spend billions on drug eradication prograsm will realise that the problem is here at home, not in Mexico or Afhganistan.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I wish you folks the best on the little rhino ... They used to shoot rhino and elephant poachers in the Chete with some regularity .. what kind of penalty is there in the south for the SOB's ???

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did a good thing. He is a cute little bugger, indeed. You or someone there has the facilities to care for him it looks like, so good show. Is he still on milk? Any chance another female would take him in? No idea about rhino behavior, but that'd be the thing in a perfect world, I imagine.

In any event, thanks for sharing, and we can only hope that poacher gets his soon.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JH, who do mean, the dude holding the dog or the dog? Razzer Razzer bewildered

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your good wishes regarding Jimmy. He will be fine now, I just know it. He has picked up so much condition and strength in such a few days. This is due mainly to Anne Whittall's fine understanding of animals and her huge experience raising orphans. Jimmy is in very good hands now.

Thank you also for your condemnation of this poaching scum - somehow, I knew that's the reaction I'd get from you people who understand all about it.

Jim Manion: You are right Sir - poaching for meat to feed one's family is one thing, this is a totally different ballgame. I also love your idea about harvesting poacher testicles for medicinal purposes! In fact, I like all the ideas posted here re what to do with this type of poacher.

John Hunt: Thank you very much for your offer of help Sir, but we have it under control for now. I think you could help merely by telling people - raising more awareness, you know. That is what I am trying to do.

Scruffy: We can shoot rhino poachers and believe me if the day comes when I bump into this guy, I won't hesitate. In fact, I wish for that day. He is very good though and has thus far been very slippery. I believe he'll get too brave though, and one day he'll slip up.

Sorry about the poor picture of Jimmy everyone - I'll take some better ones tomorrow and post them here.

A big thank you to all of you for your support

Dave

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari:

I don't imagine another female would take him on, but he'll be fine here. He already tolerates us and will soon see us as his family. Yes, he is still on milk and we feed him 9 litres a day! Greedy little tyke he is. We are also boosting him with vitamins etc. Anne Whittall has all that sorted out. One day, we will release him back to the wild and I'm sure he's going to turn into a strapping bull.

475Guy:

We'd take either the dog or the dude, best of all both. What a fierce looking pair - reckon a poacher would die of fright if faced with that combo! The picture made me laugh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Great job on saving the little one. I am sure everyone on AR appreciates the efforts the Zimbabwe PH's go through to protect the wildlife from poachers.

Conservation body says poaching on the rise in Zimbabwe
Zim Online

Saturday 14 April 2007

By Hendricks Chizhanje

HARARE - An international conservation watchdog on Thursday said illegal
poaching activities are on the rise in Zimbabwe and are threatening to wipe
out the small wildlife population remaining in the southern African country.

In a statement released to the media on Wednesday, the World Wide Fund for
Nature Southern African Regional Office said there has been a worrying
increase in the killing of wildlife in national parks in Zimbabwe over the
past three years.

The anti-poaching organisation said endangered species such as the black
rhinocerous were under serious threat in parks managed by the Parks and
Wildlife Management Authority with at least 40 black rhinos having been
killed over the past three years.

"Despite the ongoing collaboration, WWF decried the increasing levels of
poaching in conservancies and in some state parks. This continues to
endanger the highly endangered species such as black rhinos, and risk
undoing over 15 years of unequalled population recovery.

"Over the past three years approximately 35-40 black rhinos have been
deliberately shot for their horns in conservancies, yet not a single rhino
poacher has been arrested and convicted, despite available information.

"In fact, such losses have not generated the sort of deterrent action that
one would expect from the courts," the WWF said in the statement.

The conservation watchdog said wildlife was under serious threat from
poachers and organized crime gangs who supply lucrative international ivory
and rhino horn markets.

Poaching has been rife in Zimbabwe since landless villagers, with tacit
approval from President Robert Mugabe's government, invaded white-owned
farms seven years ago.

There have also been widespread reports of illegal and uncontrolled trophy
hunting on the former white-owned conservancies that are controlled by
powerful government and ruling ZANU PF officials.

The Harare authorities deny that politicians and ruling party officials are
behind the rampant poaching activities insisting that it still has poaching
under control. - ZimOnline

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9485 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That is Hercules. Worlds biggest dog (Guiness book).

I would say send both Smiler

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
I'll supply the bullets for poacher exacutions!! Pat Jimmy for me, Bless you and be careful.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Thanks for posting that report about WWF's condemnation of the rhino poachers. It's good to see they are getting vocal about it and hopefully they keep it up. I honestly don't think parks have the resources to do much on state land, but here it is a different story. At least here it is being kept under some sort of control. As I said in my initial report, we believe the killings here to be the work of one serious pro - all the evidence indicates this. At least we don't have gangs roaming about as they do in certain Parks areas. I feel for the Parks guys on the ground - a lot of them would like to try and do something but their back-up is simply non-existent these days...

John Hunt

I continue to chuckle - seems you are getting a seriously scary anti-poaching unit together!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Humanitarian of the year...Job well done...

I will volunteer ammo to give to the poacher from the muzzle end...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi, David.
A rhino was poached in the Save last year when we were there - about this same time. Do you suspect it is the work of the same culprit? How lucky for you to stumble across the baby! Keep us posted on his progress .... and keep up the good work!
- David & Barb

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this, David

I do really hope that bastard to be caught ... please keep us informed on any update about this

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello David and Barb!

How are you! Long time no contact. I did respond to your PM a couple of weeks ago but don't know if it went through or whatever. Great to hear from you. The answer to your question is yes, we do believe it's the same guy. He is very, very smart and strikes at just the right time, when defenses are lowered for whatever reason (Easter holiday) and when it is raining. He pinpoints his target beforehand and strikes quickly and efficiently. He also bides his time between hits. He is our number 1 enemy at this point and there are quite a few guys out to get him. Sooner or later, someone is going to get lucky, I hope.
Anyway, take good care and we hope to see you again one day soon
I told my family you had written and they all send their best regards
Dave

PS David, I don't know whether or not you have found the flashing box at the top of the page signalling private message received. I know I had trouble with this when I joined.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on saving Jimmy. May he grow up with a 30"+ horn! Believe me when I say that if any of the AR members could help you sort out the poacher we'd be there in a New York second. Hope you get that chance in the near future!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Kamo Gari:

I don't imagine another female would take him on, but he'll be fine here. He already tolerates us and will soon see us as his family. Yes, he is still on milk and we feed him 9 litres a day! Greedy little tyke he is. We are also boosting him with vitamins etc. Anne Whittall has all that sorted out. One day, we will release him back to the wild and I'm sure he's going to turn into a strapping bull.

Damned good jobbie, David. Thanks and Godspeed to the little fellah getting strong and some day, back into the wild.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I think one should tie the poacher to a stake in an open field about 300 yards long. Then offer each shooter one shot at the scum with the rifle of choice. Each shot costs $100.00. with the money going to preservation efforts. May I be first in line ?..............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The poacher is a SCUM bag no doubt. the bigger SOB in this is the guy who buys this horn and uses it.
It incenses me that educated and obviously wealthy people are still paying premium dollar for rhino horn.

W.T.F is wrong with these people? These are the ones I'd donate bullets for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to be able to hunt the Save with Mokore Safaris last September. I truely enjoyed the numerous Rhino sightings during my hunt. You are correct about the poaching problem on the Save in general. The first three nights of baiting for Leopard, I had baits stolen by poachers. The Game Scouts caught them a few days later and turned them over to the local authorities.

I wish you well with little "Jimmy" and I can't wait to return to hunt the Save again.

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a real bummer you lost another Rhino and a new mother at that. I can tell you took it pretty hard you've been quite distraught the past few days. It surely was a low blow! It's lucky the greedy poacher (bastard) waited between hits as long as he did, a little sooner and you could'nt have rescued your little friend. It's got to be a miracle the calf lived that long without his mother, and in an environment that's not so friendly to babies (even when they're as feisty as this lil devil seems to be). The Rhino has had some hard knocks from mankind probably more so than any other animal in Africa so it is indeed an honor to know men like you Dave, men who are out there fighting not only to save the Rhino but the reputation of humanity. Wow! Did I say that, that's a little soppy for me, I must be getting kind of corny in my old age.

I hope to meet Jimmy when I get there in Aug. so please try to delay the process of making him so rotten he forgets he's a Rhino until after I arrive.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
One way to deal with this guy is put a bounty on his head - dead or alive. I would be glad to contribute.

In a recent Mel Gibson movie, his son was kidnapped and he put a ransom on the kidnappers. It worked, at least in the movies.

Another method, a group of irate parents found out that a convicted child molester was living close to the school where the their kids attended. They hired some men to shadow the guy everywhere he went day and night, to harass the guy and make his life difficult anytime he left his home. He moved.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Nice job Dave rescuing the little bugger, and please keep us informed how this story progresses. I assume the suspected poacher is a local villager…will his pals not rat him out for an appropriate reward?

Whatever happened to the orphaned buffalo calf and young zebra that Anne was caring for when we visited in 2005?

Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Ray

Yes, you are getting a little soppy! ha ha. Can't point fingers though as I have been very soppy the last few days with Jimmy. Jimmy will be here to greet you when you arrive in August. I am looking forward to hunting with you.

dogcat

That is a great idea! I wonder why it hasn't come up before. I shall put the idea to Roger and see what he says. Money talks and nowhere more so than in present day Zimbabwe. We need to get a web of informers out there...

Bill C

The zebra was translocated to another area as it became dangerous, but the buffalo still wanders around HQ with its companion the brahman cow.

Thank you all for your support. I am off hunting and that makes me really happy!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Good job, keep up the good work and bring the bugger to justice, preferably bush justice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
David,

Maybe you should contact the Hoedspruit rehabilitation centre or De Wildt they have dealt with a couple of lost and orphaned rhinos before and should be of great help to raise him or to even find him a safe home. What I know they do is to let these orphanes walk with a sheep it helps them not to bond with one human only and also gives them comfort to have another animal with them all the time. Sounds strange but it works.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Safari-Hunt

Thanks for the information, I shall certainly get hold of those establishments for advice. We already have a goat companion for Jimmy and they seem to be bonding well. Now I just have to think of a name for the goat! God, I really am getting soppy!

Cheers
Dave

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
David, great job on saving Jimmy. I truely hope "bush justice" is sereved on the poacher. Hyenas need to eat too.

Looking forward to more updates and pictures of Jimmy's progress.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
David- Thanks so much to all involved in this humanitarian effort. Hopefully you will apprehend this criminal very soon and may the punishment be severe!

When you have the opportunity, would you please post some more Jimmy pictures?

Thanks again..............John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote