Find
Notify
Tools

Live From The Selous
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We sighted our rifles and headed out o hunt. We saw plenth of impala, zebra, one eland cow and two wildebeest bulls, seperately. We shot one as we needed meat for the camp, and lion bait too.

Then we found a herd of about 150 buffalo. We managed to get to about 100 yards of them. They were resting in a dry river bed. There were a couple of nice old dugga boys with them, but as they were in the herd we were not comfortable shooting them broadside.
Eventually one started walking towards us. He was covered in mud, and looked enormous bodywise. I shot him in the chest, and they all took off. A few yards further he stopped and ley down in the grass. We left him and followed the herd, trying to get one more. A bit further we left them and went back to our bull, and found him dead.

Dwight shot an impala and Todd shot a wildebeest.

Our camp is on the Ruwaha River, and the hippos are serenading us all night.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good start. Will the recent drought have any affect on your hunt?

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates.

It's terrific to get the play-by-play.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool first day. Thanks for the update.

13 days left!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Great start! One buff down...many to go. Smiler

Will you be able to post pictures live as well?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wave Go gett'em!!! BOOM

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Saeed!

Don't forget to post photos!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whack 'em and stack 'em!!

Hope you have a successful and safe hunt. Perhaps this will be the year of the lion for you?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We sighted our rifles and headed out o hunt. We saw plenth of impala, zebra, one eland cow and two wildebeest bulls, seperately. We shot one as we needed meat for the camp, and lion bait too.

Then we found a herd of about 150 buffalo. We managed to get to about 100 yards of them. They were resting in a dry river bed. There were a couple of nice old dugga boys with them, but as they were in the herd we were not comfortable shooting them broadside.
Eventually one started walking towards us. He was covered in mud, and looked enormous bodywise. I shot him in the chest, and they all took off. A few yards further he stopped and ley down in the grass. We left him and followed the herd, trying to get one more. A bit further we left them and went back to our bull, and found him dead.

Dwight shot an impala and Todd shot a wildebeest.

Our camp is on the Ruwaha River, and the hippos are serenading us all night.

This should be a fun couple weeks of reading. looking forward to your updates. Does your connection allow you to upload photos?

Thanks Saeed

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
So as I gather Walter is "O" for 1. But the rest of the team is performing up to standard? Ah the sound of Hippos and the dwindling twilight, smell of mopane and the sound of ice and glass clashing... Enjoy, all. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
One day, one buff. Ho hum. Big Grin

Saeed, you need to tell us how many are on license, so we can start up another pool! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi guys good luck on your hunt,

Is there goinng to be a a sweep on the number of buff taken by the group again this year??

Regards,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We went today check our baits and may be shoot some more.
Saw plenty of impala, some zebra, giraffes, warthogs and one wildebeast.
We left every in peace and went to find our herd of buffa we shot one off yesterday.
We found their tracks and followed them. Caught up with them about 45 minutes later. We had a honey guide screaming his off above us, scaring the buffalo away.
We followed them again, and they smelled us a couple of times with the usual result.

Again we caght up with them, and managed to shoot one. The truck was about 5 kilometers away, so Alan, Philip, our tracker and me went to fetch it. After we got to the car, we saw a giraffe lying down. we thought he was killed by lions, but, as we got closer, we saw he was stil alive.
He was caught in a snare. We managed to get him out of the snare, but he was not able to walk. We left him and went to get the rest of our gang and the buffalo. On the way back we went to look at our giraffe. Sadly he was dead.
The weather is great, and so far no tsetse flies.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Our connection is erratic, so I will post my reports, and try to answer questions as much as I can.

We have 15 buffalo on license.

one of us
posted Hide Post
15 buffalo! Wow, that must be the entire quota for LA1 if I am not mistaken. Good hunting!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing story, it must have been sad to see a snared giraffe. I wonder how he got his neck through a snare??

On a lighter note: will you be using him for lion bait? Big Grin

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does anyone get 15 buff on license?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

To bad for the giraffe but what a windfall for you as a lion bait. Best of luck on this one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:

One must purchase many licenses (say, one 21 day and six 10 day licenses, or twelve 7 day licenses) and accordingly pay many, many days' worth of expensive government fees for the privilege.

As long as there's quota to support it, anyone with the means can do it.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Best of luck and thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. Will you be bating lion and leopard??

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:

Buy several liscenses... All it takes is money or ownership of a concession..

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I have decided to put myself up for adoption or outright purchase on the Classifieds on AR if you will buy me and take me along...

Have fun and think of us here waiting to hear about your successes and Walter's failures...

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are any Blasers on this outing?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Is Walther allowed to write his about his expiernces from the trip?

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if you are well on your way to another successful outing. Of course being there is more success than many of us here reading about your adventures can enjoy for now. One day, One day, One day soon!
Thank you for allowing us the pleasure of dreaming along with you. Since reading about your adventures each night I am able to dream of Africa with clear and enjoyable details of your hunting.
Thank you,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like this is adding up to a top notch trip---thanks for the updates---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
the sound of Hippos and the dwindling twilight, smell of mopane and the sound of ice and glass clashing...

That might be the best thing I have ever read! cheers

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What!!??!?!???!!! A herd of 150 buffalo and Saeed let some of them walk????? Saeed have you lost your lust for blood? Seriously, Have a great hunt and keep the stories coming to those of us that are stuck on the other side of the pond this year. Wiedmanshiel.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Kind Sir and maker of this site to happen:

Please place on order a 42" buffalo or a leopard skin for my fireplace. Big Grin

BTW, it's getting to look better and better that Dale/1115 and I may make it to hunt with Pierr'e across the river from where you are next year! Keep your fingers crossed for us and don't shoot anything that is trying to cross the Ruwaha. They want me to kill them, not you!

Go get 'em My Friend! And I'm still....

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, Lots of pics and posts!!!Can't wait....Best Wishes on what sounds like a VERY GOOD OUTING...!!!

Posts: 24 | Location: WNY-Bergen | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We decided to make an early start today and leave camp by 5 to go see what might have come to feed on the giraffe. The drive is about an hour. We met a very big hyaena about half a mile from the giraffe. We did not shoot him, as we thought the lions might be feeding.
That was a big mistake, as only the hyaenas have fed on the giraffe. They have opend his stomach and fed on him. They have also eaten his nose, eyes and ears.

We spent all morning checking baits and putting a few more up. We saw plenty of impala and wildebeest. Also a few giraffes and warthogs and one kongoni.

Went back to camp for lunch. This is the first day we actually returned to camp for lunch.

Dwight shot an old dugga boy today.

In the afternoon we went down to the river at thend of the concession. Found one hippo with a snare on one of his rear legs. Saw a number of animals including geraqffes, hippos, impala, waterbuck and waqrthogs.

On the way back to camp we found that a herd of buffalo has passed over our tracks. Our plan is to go follow them in the morning.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No Blasers are allowed in our hunting camp. Only REAL rifles.

We can upload photos, but, it takes a long time so we try to avoid it.

The giraffe had both his rear legs stuck in the snare. I will post photos when we get back.

Walter is not allowed to do anything except breath and eat! Hopefully he will be able to do that without causing any damage to himself or any of us!

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun

Good luck with the baits, hope the Lions come in quickly, the same for mr. spotty.

Have fun

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Blasers are allowed in our hunting camp. Only REAL rifles.

jumping

There are a lot of dead creatures that would disagree with you.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, sounds like way too much poaching activity. A snared giraffe and a snared hippo.

I have heard that poaching is up in some blocks in the Selous of late. Have you seen any game scouts patrolling?

Good luck on the lion. As for Blasers, well, I have only killed two lions with my Blaser, and with two different barrels. Big Grin

Sorry, no hijack intended, just having some fun. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Hope the hunt continues to play out successfully. We will be in the Selous ourselves in 10 days!

Are you using Barnes bullets for the buffalo? Original X bullets or TSX?

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, another interesting day.

As I have mentioned yesterday, we left early this morning to chase the herd of buffalo we have seen the tracks of yesterday.
Before we got to where we have left their tracks, we saw a leopard trying to hide in some none exixtent bush! He was about 15 yards from us, lying on the ground looking straight at the truck. We stood there for quite a while taking photos and video of him. Eventually he got up and slithered away.

We followed the herd, which seemed to be hell bent on walking right to the end of the concession. We followed them for 5 hours, by whuich time they crossed into the other concession. We went to the river. The usual mob of impala and waterbuck were feeding by the bank. We wanted a leopard bait, so I shot one impala.

We sent the tracker to get the truck, and had a late lunch when he came back. Walter used the tracker and game scout fire to cook tghe impala heart and the fillet.

We are back at camp. The other truck is still out.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Man am I getting excited. These reports are almost whipping me to a frenzy...not sure if thats a good thing! Big Grin

Thanks again for the daily updates Saeed!

MJines...Saeed is using 300gr Walterhog bullets. I am not sure what rifles/loads Dwight and Todd are using.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You can keep the heart and liver as far as I'm concerned - but the filet is a chunk of meat worth roasting! Smiler

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love heart meat and tongue as well. Liver and onions- NO WAY!

Keep the reports coming, I love being in the Frenzy.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote