New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live From The Selous
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
KUDUBULL,I want to thank you for your explanation about the hunting of the giraffe.I never thought of it as a game animal but know I understand it is.,

Liberty is worth whatever the country is worth. It is by liberty that man has a country; it is by liberty he has rights." -- Henry Giles
Rifleman.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
What, no update today??!! It's 6:38 PM, either they are still out, which is a good sign, or nothing noteworthy happened today, but with walter in camp, that's highly unlikely.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Today we thought we will give the buffalo a try gain. Walter and Anna Marie came long. We sw 3 wrthogs feeding in the grass, nd s Wlter hs calibrated himself for warthogs, he jumped out of the truck with Roy anbd Alan to shoot one.

After a while they returned. The warthogs were too young to shoot. Walter was quite upset that I shot one the other day. But, Alan came to my rescue, saying "Walter, it is not an easy job finding a "Walterable" pig for you to shoot.

So n ow we have a new word added to our hunting vocabulary.

"Walterable" means that whatever animal Walter wishes to shoot has to be less than 100 yards away, standing still for 10 minutes, broadside.

After this we went looking for buffalo. We found fresh tracks of a large herd and followed them.

About an hour later we caught up with them. They were spread out over a large area, and the wind was not perfect. We backtracked and went downwind of them. This detour took a while, but it kept the buffalo from getting our wind.

We saw a very old bull standing broadside. His horns were so short they barely cleared his ears. He also had no tail. He was quartering slightly away, so a 300 grain Walterhog bullet was placed just behind his shoulder, angling forward to the other shoulder. At the shot he ran off, and the whole herd took off too.

We ran after them. A few hundred yards further we saw another bull standing, but his shoulders were behind a tree. He was angling away from us. I put a bullet into his stomach, angling forward. He ran off with us behind him. A few yards further he stopped and turned around to look at us. He was hidden behind a tree, and all we could see was one eye and one horn. It was a bit too far to shoot. As we moved to the side for a better view, he took off. I put another bullet into hin from behind. He ran a few yards and dropped. We left him and went looking for our first bull. We found him dead a few yards from where he was shot. The bullet took the top of his heart off, and lodged in the opposite shoulder.

The Walterhog bullets are working to perfection. They seem to expand very fast, loose the front section, and penetrate very deep.

Enrique also shot a buffalo. So today was a buffalo day.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68660 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Congrats Saeed, well doen to day, sorry for walther thoug,but there is always a hunting day tomorrow.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The leopard was shot late afternoon just before sun down. Distance was about 70-80 yards, and he dropped stone dead from a 300 grain Walterhog bullet into onshoulder and out just behind the other.

Posts: 68660 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds more like the Saeed we know from past hunt videos!

"Walterable" is now in the vocabulary! Roll Eyes

Good luck, Saeed!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
We saw a very old bull standing broadside. His horns were so short they barely cleared his ears. He also had no tail. He was quartering slightly away, so a 300 grain Walterhog bullet was placed just behind his shoulder,

Sounds like an Outer Circle entry! Can't wait to see the pics.

Smiler
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Way to go..It is always good to hear and know the sweetness of success when one earns his buffalo...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As we have enjoyed hunting buffallo yesterday so much, we decided to repeat it again today.

We left camp looking for buffalo tracks. Not long before we found the tracks of a herd that has drank from the river, and headed back inland. We stopped our truck under the shade of a tree, and left Horst and his wife Anna-Marie there while we tracked the buffalo.

About an hour an a half later, we caught up with them. It was quite a large herd, and some bulls were keeping to the side of the lot. One bull must have been about 43 or 44 inches, but, we decided to leave him for one of our friends to shoot. As I have a number of trophies larger than that, and was only hunting buffalo for the fun of it. We selected an old bull - a good candidate for the Outer Circle. His hornes were barely longer than his ears. Just like one we shot yesterday. As he wallked through a clearing, I put a shot into his shoulder. He ran off a bit and stopped to look back at us. I thought I better put an insurance shot into him, and shot him in the head. He dropped in his tracks.

Another bull came running back to his friend, and stopped as he saw us, looking straight at us. A quick shot under his chin dropped him too. We spent the rest of the morning skinning them, as I wanted to have their skins tanned. By the time we finished skinning and cutting them up it was well past lunch time.

We took some of the meat to use as croc bait. And used the opportunity to enjoy lunch at the river bank surrounded by hippos.

It was late afternoon when we headed back to camp. We met the rest of the gang heading to an area on the river where they wanted to fish. Just as we left them, we saw a very large black mamba lying on the tracks. It must have been at least 7 feet long. It slithered into the bush.

Back home at camp relatively early, to enjoy a refreshing shower and hopefully an early dinner.

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Well done, for sure you are enjoying yourself.

Good luck with the Lion baits

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Passing up a good bull like that?

I think you are out of your mind. That bull could be in the Masai by tomorrow!

Still, it's the thought that counts! Smiler

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying reading the updates, keep them coming!

~Ann

Posts: 19550 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Damn snakes scare me. If their venom were no worse than what we have in the state it wouldn't be an issue - but mambas, puff adders cobras , etc.!

Sure seems like we're hearing a lot of reports of mamba sightings in the Selous as of late.

Mike and I are catching a plane next Tuesday for the Selous. Wish I could carry one of my pistols with shot loads. That was standard practice on the deer lease in South Texas.

My outfitter is supposed to have anti-venom in camp. Small comfort.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Passing up a good bull like that?

I think you are out of your mind. That bull could be in the Masai by tomorrow!

Still, it's the thought that counts!

I concur with Don! Smiler

I start my travels tomorrow...I am almost jittery worrying about the crappy connections I have...but I know it will work out!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Thanks for leaving the bull for me. He should be even bigger by next year. I promise to post lots of photos.
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not reporting yesterday. We came back late and as we planned to go out very early I thought I will give you a two day report today.

We went afterbuffalo yesterday as well. And followed a large herd about 8.30 in the morning. Less than an hour later we found them. Some have crossed a dry, sandy river bed, and the rest were still on our side. There was an outcropping of rocks jotting into the river, with a large tree and thick bush on it. On the insise od thie was an animal path. We saw one old bull walking towards us from about 100 yards away. The bush was far too think to try to shoot through. So we decided to get closer to him, and apparently he had the same idea as well. As he just continued ambling towards us.

His head appeared through the brush 12 paces from us, and I put a bullet in his head. He dropped down, and as we ran off to try to shot another one, I put an insurance shot into his chest.

The herd split into two section, and we followed one. About 2 miles further, we caught glimpses of them and tried to get into a position where we might be able to get a shot at a bull. Eventually we could see the head of an old bull. His head was not too clear, so I could not take a shot at him. We just had to wait for him to move. As he did, I put a bullet into shoulder - at least that was the intention. He dropped in his tracks, and we ran up to him and put another bullet into his chest.

This bull had white spots all over his body, and his face was half white. He had a very wide boss, but very short and pointed horns.

The first one was also an old bull, but he had a better head.

We found my first bullet hit a one inch lead wood tree, went through and hit the buffalo in the spine sideways. We recovered the bullet whole - unexpanded at all under the skin on the other side.

We wanted to put up some lion baits by a water hole that we found the tracks of a large lion.

We put half one bull there, and drove down the river about a mile to put the other half. After we have finished, we returned to the first bait and saw the lion tracks over ours. We built a quick hide, and sat in it. Just before sun down, 3 lionesses came to feed. A giraffe came from behind us, and gave us a funny look as we were in the hide. Our truck came by as it got dark, and we drove back to camp. With the plan of leaving at 4 in the morning and go sit in the blind again.

This morning we went to the blind, and as we got closer, we could hear a big fight going on between the lions and hyaenas. We slipped into our hide without them talking any notice of us. There was a water hole about 8 yards in front of our hide. One of the feeding lions came over and started to drink very noisily. After he finished he went back to the others by the bait.

As it got lighter, we could see 5 lions. 3 lionesses and 2 mainless lions. They were just feeding and moving around. Eventually they left, and a large hyaena came over to the bait, which I shot.

We went to the river to look for a croc at our bait. There were plenty of them, but all small ones. We could see the eyes of what appeared to be a big croc in the water

We decided to go a bit further, and have our breakfast and return later to see if any of the big one decided to come out.

After we had our breakfast, we went back to the river. And sure enough, there was a very old croc about 120 yards from our side.

After crawling a few yards, we managed to get into a position to shoot him. I put a bullet into his head. Roy suggested I put an insurane shot into him, which I did. Then we started discussing if he was dead - he did not move an inch. So I put two more bullets into his neck. We waded into the river to where he was, and dragged him to the bank. Loaded him and took him back to camp. Enrique shot a zebra this m orning, and everyone was camp, and everyone wanted to take photos with the crocs. We put it by the river bank in front of the camp, and took lots of photos.

A quick shower, and I am writing this report. Todd, Dwight and Horst are bin some sort of discussion on trees. Walter is giving Alan a hair cut.

Tomorrow it is Walter's day. He wants to shoot a wildebeest so he can have the skin. He is also required to shoot an impala so he can prepare a BBQ the day after tomorrow, as we are expecting two good friends to join us. Both are well known to everyone here at AR.

Canuck and Don_G. They will hunt with us for one week, then when we leave they are going with Alan Vincent to another area to continue their hunt.

I doubt there is a happier camp than this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great couple days!

I bet the lion/hyena fight was something special, even if there wasn't a fullmaned lion there! I wonder where papa was when the family was eating?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great hunt.

How big was your croc?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Today was Walter's day. We went looking for something "Walterable".

We found a warthog that fit the bill, and Walter dispatchedit with one shot. An amazing feat!

We then had to go through various episodes of chasing wildebeest and zebra. Unfortunately, none was co-operating, so Walter never got a shot at one.

We sawtwo elephant bulls in high grass, and spent sometimetrying to see their ivory. Both were to small.

We had lunch by a hippo pool, and came close to having the hippos charge us aswetried to get close to take photos and video of them.

After lunch wewent looking for some more "Walterable" animals.

We found a herd of wildebeest, and as we triedto get close for a shot a bunch of impalaskept getting in the way and scaring them away. Eventually Walter got fed up and shot an impala for tomorrow BBQ.

Later oen we found a herd of zebra. Walter kindly decided that I should go after them. We chasedthem for a while in very thick bush, eventually managing toshoot one.

We loaded him up and headed back to camp.

The rest of the gang had a fishing picnic by the river, and had a great time.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I see the buff are in trouble again this year. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don_G - Are you taking your bow? And are you finally going to try for a buff?

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We left this morning looking or buffalo. We drive around until we see some fresh tracks, and follow them. About 5 miles from camp we saw an impala with very wide horns, and Roys suggested I shoot it. I jumped out of the truck and shot it. Its horns are very similar to those of a lechewe. I have never seen one as wide as this one before.

We loaded our impala and continued our trip. We came across the tracks of a herd of buffalo, and got onto them. About an hour later we caught up with them. Most of the were lying down, but some were standing guard. There was a group of 4 bulls to tghe side of the herd, so we paid more attention to these. Trying to see if there was a mature bull. We could see two of them, but two were lying down. We assumed that one of those lying down was mature.We crawlled to about 20 yards from him. But, he was hidden in the bush, and all we could see was his backside and the tipes of his horns. Roy crawled closer and threw a stone at him. He did not budge. He threw another stone. Still no reaction. I was having difficulty keeping still as I was laughing so much. Eventually the bull got up, and we saw that it was too young to shoot. They then smelled us and took off.

We continued to follow them. They did not go very far, and got themselves comfortable in the shade of some trees.

Again we crawled until we were about 100 yards from them. We could only see dark patches, and no way of knowing what they belong to. We crawlled a bit further, and saw 3 bulls lying in the shade that werfe clear to us. All were youg. To the left of them a mature bull was lying. But, there was no way a shot could be taken at him. We waited until he got up, and started to walk towards the other 3. In tghe process he passed through a clearing, a clearing, and I put a bullet into his chest. He ran a few yards, with blood pouring out of his mouth, turtned around and dropped almost on the place where he was shot at.

We cut him up, and had lunch out of impala heart and liver cooked by our game scout.

After that we loaded everything up, and headed back to camp. We met our two new hunters that have flown into our camp this morning. Canuck and Don_G. They will hunt with us for a week, then as we leave they will go with Alan Vincent to hunt in another block.

Walter is busy cokking his BBQ, which we are all looking forward too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep up the reports, dear sir. Those of us at work are living vicariously through your words.

Smiler

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing from Canuck and Don_G yet?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Today was Walter's day again. He wanted to get a wildebeest for the past 4 years, without any success. Today he acheived the impossible, and killed his wildebeest! It took him 3 hours and 4 shots, but, he managed to get it. We even managed to get all his hunt on video!

A little after we left camp, we saw a herd of zebra. Walter kindly volunteered my services to shoot it by proxy for him.

We could see the stallion through a gap in the bush. We did things backwards this time. I aimed at him througfh that small gap,, and asked Roy to place the shooting sticks down for me. I shot him, and we thought we better take him back to camnp.

After that we went looking for any "walterable: trophy. Walter tried a few times to get a shot at a warthog, wildebeest and a herd of zebra. But, sadly, none was co-operative. We stopped and had lunch. In the afternoon we found a herd of wildebeest, and Walter managed to get his trophy. He was so happy he could not stop talking about "his" hunt. I had quite a job getting my rifle back from him!

Don and Canuck spent the day chasing a buffalo herd, but they never managed to get a shot.

Don did bring his bow, and he hopes to tried it later on on his hunt.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Watch out Saeed, Walter is going to replace you at top dog...Shooting your rifle..Remember the phrase Walterable...He may lay claim to the rifle as it is a " very Walterable rifle ".. animal

Mike Eeker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the only Walterhogging of the rifle will be with the Walterhog bullets loaded into it.

Saeed's Walterhog bullet performance is the best recommendation extant for 300 grain monometal copper bullets of .375 caliber. They just plain work! Especially if you are pushing them at a modest 2700 fps or thereabouts from something like the .375/.404 Saeed.

If Saeed can get his rifle back from Walter it will make for much more interesting reading here!

To Walter I say: You finally got lucky, eh? Must have been wearing your lucky bra and panties? You go girl! thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates Saeed! Congrats Walter! Canuck & Don_G the chase sweetens the enjoyment of triumph! After all it's not a cattle ranch.

Good luck to all!! May your cross hairs find the trophies of dreams!!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like everyone is having a great trip almost like it is better than the previous trips to Tanz so far beer

Keep it coming and keep them buff dropping clap

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got caught, CPT says 'what are you reading on the computer?" nothing says I, ambles over does he...and now there are two of us checking everyday! Thanks Saeed for the hunting serial.
SFC E7

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
After breakfast, some of us headed out to hunt, while others remained in camp.
Don was practicing with his bow into a sandbag this morning. His broadhead went through the bag and into the tree. He had to use a pair of pliers to get it out.

We told Walter to stay at camp today, as we have one last buffalo to hunt, and when buffalo are on the agenda, we stop for nothing. Funny enough, we saw a herd of zebra Walter could have shot. We also saw a warthog he could have shot. After that we saw 3 zebra that stood about 150 yards from our truck; perfectly "Walterable" animals.

Good thing Walter was not with us. Otherwise I think none of us would have been very popular with him if we ignored his pleese to stop!

We continued to where we had left a herd of buffalo yesterday evening. About a mile before then we saw a herd feeding by the side of a dry river bed. The wind was perfect. We jumped out of the truck and walked about 1/2 a mile to get into a shooting position. Several bulls were visible, but, only one mature lying down. He was about 200 yards away, so I did not want to take a chance at a shot at him while he was lying down. As he got up and walked towards the others, I put a bullet into his shoulder. He turned around and ran off with the rest of the herd. As the dust was clearing, we saw him hobbling behind them. I put another shot into him. He took a few steps and lay down. We walked up to him and put a finisher into him. We cut him up into two, and went to hang him for lion bait.

After that we decided to head back to camp. We needed meat for the camp, so when we saw two impala rams alone, I shot one of them.

We had lunch, and decided to stay in camp for the rest of the day.

In front of our camp we could see hippos fight, waterbuck and impala feed, as well as several varieties of birds feeding on the river bank.

Walter and Alan then took a zebra carcass out into the bush, and set the trail camera next to it. We hope we can get some photos of hyaenas feeding on it tonight.

Here is a quick summary of the animals we have seen on this trip.

Elephants: we saw a number of them, but, no shootable bulls.
Buffalo: several herds, and tracks of lone dugga boys. Very hard to track individual bulls because of the grass.
Lion: We saw several, mostly females and one with four tiny cups. About the size of house cats. Two mainless males. Lion tracks are found in all the sandy river beds.
Leopard: We saw two. They have fed on several of our baits, and thier tracks are found on numerous occasions.
Impala: Plenty of them
Nyasaland wildebeest: Plenty of them.
Kongoni: We saw a few.
Giraffes: Plenty
Hippos: Plenty
Warthogs: Plenty
Hyaenas: Plenty
Crocs: Plenty

Chris and Don are still out, so will have to report about their hunt tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All in all quite the adventure as it continues to develope. Poor Walter, he will just have to start sleeping in the bakkie so he isn't left behind again.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

How about a list of animals that have walked the end of the road so far on the trip as well please ? Big Grin
I suppose with all buff taken now Walter will be able to join in on the action. hammering

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Walter will have to shoot more Walterhogs to attempt to catch up .Great live reports Saeed, Best of luck.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Chris shot a buffalo yesterday. Don is trying his luck today. They are still out, so we have no idea what they have done. We did hear a shot while we were out in the afternoon.

Our day started with everyone screaming at Walter for messing up the settings on the trail camera. We put the camera by a zebra carcass, and got no pictures at all. Apparently he set it to take photos at night, without setting the time!!

Also, today was Walter's day to hunt. We spent the morning chasing a whole managerie of animals, hoping there might be one amongst them that is "Walterable". There were zebras, kongonis, impala and warthogs. None was very co-operative. By two in the afternoon Walter was very hungery. We told him there will be no food until he shoots something.

By 3.30 he managed to bounce a bullet off an impala's horn and kill it! There was a chip in one of the impala's horns, and a big chunk of the impala shoulder skil was missing! I will post photos when I get back.

After that we were all very hungery, so found a shady tree and had lunch.

We headed back to camp, as Walter is in charge of the BBQ tonight.

He is busy getting orgenized as I write this, with a beer bottle in his hands. He needs 9 bottles to finish the dinner.

Chris and Don are still out, so, again, I will report on their hunt tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed! Keep 'em coming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Walter is playing billiards with his shooting now! Talent, pure talent!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Also, today was Walter's day to hunt ...
By 3:30 he managed to bounce a bullet off an impala's horn and kill it! There was a chip in one of the impala's horns, and a big chunk of the impala shoulder skin was missing! I will post photos when I get back.

Amazing! I am familiar with "barking" squirrels with a rifle, but never heard of "horning" impala with a rifle!

In addition to ranking elephant rifles by "Taylor KO" values, I suppose we must now start ranking plains game rifles by "Walter KO" values.

I shall henceforth refer to the units of the Bwana Saeed Index as "WKO," or maybe "WOK," which would be the sound made by a properly "Waltered" impala horn.

Stalk 'em and WOK 'em and stack 'em.

Walterable = WOKable
thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Saeed thank you for all the reports. I've been away on a motorcycle trip and I'm so pleased to hear that Chris's flight conections worked out and his guns arrived safely. Great news to see that the original 470 Mbogo has claimed another Buffalo or did he brake in his 416 Taylor? I sure hope that Don's practice with the video camera was up to snuff. Waiting to hear the details. Thank you again for keeping us up to date with the posts.
Take the best of care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I always want a Walterable shot. Makes 'em drop faster. Nothing wrong with that.

Saeed, if only you would have let Walter bring his Blaser, then you would be too abashed by his bag to even post the results!

Mucho Kudos to Big Bwana, BBQ the Swala Pala, Poli Poli, Mzuri Sana, Which Way to the Bara Bara, Walter!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote