New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol in Camp
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey Chris

Damm good job that there are all us teetotal, virtious, god fearing clients out here.

LOL

Buy you a drink when I see you next Big Grin

Say hello to everybody for me.

Best Regards Mark

Posts: 20 | Location: England | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to have a drink under the following cicumstances:

When I'm happy
When I'm sad
When I'm lonely
When I'm with friends
When I'm with people who are not friends
With relatives
With meals
When on holiday
When not on holiday
On fishing trips
On hunting trip
For celebratoy purposes
After work
When I'm thirsty
When I'm not thirsty

Other than that I never touch the stuff!!!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:

When I'm happy
When I'm sad
When I'm lonely
When I'm with friends
With relatives
With meals
When on holiday
When not on holiday
On fishing trips
On hunting trip
For celebratoy purposes
After work
When I'm thirsty
When I'm not thirsty

Well said
and when the BOKS wins the world cup jumping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low blow Mate Cool
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:

When I'm happy
When I'm sad
When I'm lonely
When I'm with friends
With relatives
With meals
When on holiday
When not on holiday
On fishing trips
On hunting trip
For celebratoy purposes
After work
When I'm thirsty
When I'm not thirsty

Well said

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:

When I'm happy
When I'm sad
When I'm lonely
When I'm with friends
With relatives
With meals
When on holiday
When not on holiday
On fishing trips
On hunting trip
For celebratoy purposes
After work
When I'm thirsty
When I'm not thirsty

Well said

That's when we Aussies will need a drink Frowner

Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a former military pilot, and there's certainly a culture of drinking to be found there. In my opinion it's a good thing, it builds camaraderie and promotes unit cohesion. I've had the days when I was too hung over to fly in the morning, thankfully they were very few, but they were there. As everyone else has said moderation is the key. I find that as I get older then moderation comes a bit more naturally to me. Youth tends to encourage one to push the boundaries and bad headache the next day is often the result. I don't think you should let a few excesses define your life, however. Most pilots are drinkers, but there are a few teetotalers out there and they tend to stand off from the group a bit. I find that I'm a bit less trustful of those who don't drink. We had an old saying, "if he won't drink and he won't fuck, then he won't fight".

If you don't want alcohol around then you need to clearly state that to the outfitter when you book, that way there are no surprises. It's your hunt and since you're paying for it then it's your right to set the rules, as it is the outfitter's right to refuse the booking if he isn't able to abide by your requirements. I personally have no interest in being in a camp where I'm made to feel ashamed about having a few drinks. I've never been to Africa but if I do go someday then I'll likely be looking forward to sitting around a fire with a single malt scotch almost as much as the hunting. To me that's just part of the romantic image I have of African hunting and I don't want to miss that. Getting slobbering drunk (either me or the PH) certainly isn't what I'm talking about, but I have no interest in feeling like I'm trapped in a camp ran by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union either. Like it or not, alcohol has had a part in the lives of men since the dawn of civilization because many feel it adds enjoyment to their lives. A few drinks after hunting is a vital part of the experience in my mind, not having that available would ruin it for me.

None of this means that I would accept a PH that showed up with a large hangover in the morning or that I would do that myself. I'd like to think that a PH who consistently did that would soon be out of a job, but knowing the hunting industry I'm not naive enough to believe that those guys aren't out there. The only time I've had any trouble on a guided hunt was with a guide in alaska who was high on cocaine. He caused quite a mess for myself and my hunting partner and was quickly fired by the outfitter when we got back to camp.