Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Win. Mag. Heavy Loads ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I see that hornady puts out a heavy mag load for the 458 winchester magnum, they advertise a 500 grain solid at 2260 feet per second. That puts it right up there with most 458 Lott loads. Are there any other companies out there producing high energy loads for the 458 winchester magnum?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, the answer is no, at least amongst American manufacturers anyway. I believe Hornady is the only one.

On the subject of Hornady....
I've heard that if you pull the bullet on one of Hornady's 2260 fps Winnie rounds and tap the powder out and then try to pour it back in and re-seat the bullet that you will have a major, major challenge on your hands....

Rumor has it, that it is something to do with a unique "short cut" powder (packs better) and a two step powder compaction process: (1) high tech powdershaking/settling equipment (after the powder is "dropped" into the casing), followed by (2) more compaction with the seating of the bullet.

Has anyone heard anything similar in this regard?

It sounds credible enough since essentially "no one else" can get those velocities without pressure frights, especially a US manufacturer (liability). On the other hand, it may be rumor as I sure didn't hear about it from Hornady.

In any case, it kinda breathes some life into the old girl and has become the benchmark that is always trotted out when discussing the Winnie versus the Lott, but still a problem if you want to reload AND still have those kind of performance numbers for the Winnie.

Hmmmm.... If that is indeed how Hornady does it, then I wonder what the result would be if the same treatment was applied to the 458 Lott? A new piece of reloading equipment for those who like to "push the envelope?"

Probably risking a flame here, but comments please (in addition to answering the orginal question).

----------------------------------
Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Show Time.

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
From what I've been told, the Hornady loading system is a proprietary process and information is not given out. After having taken apart several different calibers, I've seen the same compaction mentioned above.
Years ago, I took apart an old Remington (heresy?) SHAVER, GUYS!! Used the motor as a vibrator on a small platform. This allowed large charges of slow powders to settle sufficiently for bullet seating. Used the Oehler chronograph to check velocities and had some pretty unique readings come about.
Do I recommend this? NO! But experimenting is fun.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Hornady has developed the “Light Magnum†and “Heavy Magnum†line of cartridges for those that want to step up to the next size case without changing rifles. They’re truly amazing, and the process is probably something like you’re describing. Hornady will not comment either way. Federal is getting similar results with their “High Energy†line (they call it something else now). Take your cartridge’s standard velocity, and add 150~200 fps. They both work like a charm.

Great for guys owning an ’06 that want .300 mag performance, .458’s that want Lott performance, etc. Most of us won’t be able to reload safely to these specs, so it’s a factory cartridge thing or nothing. Still, great stuff!

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
The .458 Winchester Magnum has plenty of guts even without the "heavy" loadings.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomFromTheShade:
The .458 Winchester Magnum has plenty of guts even without the "heavy" loadings.

"Ditto"....

Posts: 158 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one don't believe the Hornady figures for this load for the 458 win. I got 2089 from a 22" barrel, 2133 from a 24" barrel and 2151 from a 25" barrel. Try it before you believe it!

46H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I can tell you where they get there results..They are all shot of of 26 inch barrels...
Test barrels...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocity increased by around 20 fps/inch of barrel length in my tests. That would mean 2170 to 2180 for a 26" barrel. Still way short of 2260fps.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
just redo it to a lott...the high preasure is not the route to go

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
just redo it to a lott...the high preasure is not the route to go

Funny, I think that's the problem with the Lott. To get the ballistics everyone wants, pressure has to be 50k+, or really, around 55K+. My shoulder aches thinking about it...

g