Tools

Canned Lion in South Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
In Zim I noticed that young men tipped their cap as they shook hands with their elders (me). As we handed out candy to the little village kids the girls would curtsy. In the US I've only seen signs of respect from our young military personnel, although I have yet to see a Marine curtsy.

A lot of the more traditional Africans are also big on respect for age. The Masai children will come up to you and tip their heads forward and wait for you to acknowledge them by touching the top of their heads withthe palm of your hand.

Traditional Zulus and a few others will try not to have their heads higher than yours. So (for example) if you're sitting in a chair, they'll come into the room and sit on the floor. They're also traditionally reluctant to look you in the eye (esp the women) as they view that as a challenge and they'll look down at their feet..... in the early days, the settlers often didn't understand this and they would think it a sign of guilt.... I'm sure a fair number of them got a hiding for something they hadn't done because of this.

Another one with the Zulus and a few others is that the more traditional ones won't greet you until you've greeted them first. It isn't rudeness, it's that they believe you rank higher than they do and if you haven't greeted them first, in your eyes, they're not there and if they're not there, they cant greet you.

how's that for bloody useless information! Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lions are fed until they can be hunted.

As a child...I hand-fed the steers and pigs we ate. Our animals were our only source of protien. Many of them I gave names. I shot many-a-one of them in the brain with a .22 LR hung them in a tree, bled them out, and helped process them for the freezer. I could not wait to try their meat on my plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Political correctness has a lot to answer for

I try to refrain from it (PC) as often as possible!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
In Zim I noticed that young men tipped their cap as they shook hands with their elders (me). As we handed out candy to the little village kids the girls would curtsy. In the US I've only seen signs of respect from our young military personnel, although I have yet to see a Marine curtsy.

A lot of the more traditional Africans are also big on respect for age. The Masai children will come up to you and tip their heads forward and wait for you to acknowledge them by touching the top of their heads withthe palm of your hand.

Traditional Zulus and a few others will try not to have their heads higher than yours. So (for example) if you're sitting in a chair, they'll come into the room and sit on the floor. They're also traditionally reluctant to look you in the eye (esp the women) as they view that as a challenge and they'll look down at their feet..... in the early days, the settlers often didn't understand this and they would think it a sign of guilt.... I'm sure a fair number of them got a hiding for something they hadn't done because of this.

Another one with the Zulus and a few others is that the more traditional ones won't greet you until you've greeted them first. It isn't rudeness, it's that they believe you rank higher than they do and if you haven't greeted them first, in your eyes, they're not there and if they're not there, they cant greet you.

how's that for bloody useless information! Wink
actually, it is quite useful info. thanks Steve

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote