New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Simple Deduction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read everyone's posts on this subject and agree with most.
My opinion comes from observing a hell of a lot of clients and thousands of animals shot through 20 years of hunting/culling.

I could actually not care what rifle you bring to hunt as long as you bring quality bullets and you can shoot it well (IN HUNTING CONDITIONS!!!)

I love the .375H&H because for some or other reason it does the job required. Yes, I do use a .416 as back-up because I can hit a target at 200y with it fast. I do not use my 500 Nitro so much anymore because it lacks accuracy further than 80 - 100y for a good shot.

Hydrostatic shock is something I have heard of a lot. I still believe that a bullet of any size THROUGH the brain is mush better than to shock it.

To the guys that want to shoot the big guns, bring them and lets have good fun. I enjoy them a lot.
To the guys that want to bring a 375, the same applies.

I have had a few charges from Elephant, Hippo and Rhino where I had my 375 in my hands. I am typing this so it can not be such a bad gun. Did I want my 416 or 500 in my hands when it happened - you bet but only because I know them and can shoot them well.

There were more times when I wanted my 375 in my hands when a client botched a shot and the quarry ran off and I could not put an ACCURATE shot in because the distance was to far after the client tried to make a 2nd and 3rd shot.

Why do 99% of all dangerous game PH's not have a problem if the client uses a .375H&H?? I wonder.
Are they not the guys that do these kind of things for a living and not for sport.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Rabe:
I read everyone's posts on this subject and agree with most.
My opinion comes from observing a hell of a lot of clients and thousands of animals shot through 20 years of hunting/culling.

I could actually not care what rifle you bring to hunt as long as you bring quality bullets and you can shoot it well (IN HUNTING CONDITIONS!!!)

I love the .375H&H because for some or other reason it does the job required. Yes, I do use a .416 as back-up because I can hit a target at 200y with it fast. I do not use my 500 Nitro so much anymore because it lacks accuracy further than 80 - 100y for a good shot.

Hydrostatic shock is something I have heard of a lot. I still believe that a bullet of any size THROUGH the brain is mush better than to shock it.

To the guys that want to shoot the big guns, bring them and lets have good fun. I enjoy them a lot.
To the guys that want to bring a 375, the same applies.

I have had a few charges from Elephant, Hippo and Rhino where I had my 375 in my hands. I am typing this so it can not be such a bad gun. Did I want my 416 or 500 in my hands when it happened - you bet but only because I know them and can shoot them well.

There were more times when I wanted my 375 in my hands when a client botched a shot and the quarry ran off and I could not put an ACCURATE shot in because the distance was to far after the client tried to make a 2nd and 3rd shot.

Why do 99% of all dangerous game PH's not have a problem if the client uses a .375H&H?? I wonder.
Are they not the guys that do these kind of things for a living and not for sport.

You must not make such good sense and destroy a good discussion like this Wink Smiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake.
Sorry!!

I shall try again: A 375 is a shitt gun!

How is that?
Wink

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Rabe:
My mistake.
Sorry!!

I shall try again: A 375 is a shitt gun!

How is that?
Wink

............................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote