THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Getting Ready For Our Safari Later This Month
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Ready For Our Safari Later This Month
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
As usual, we are heading to the Selous for our safari later this month.

Alan is already there hunting, and he tells me there are plenty of game, and thankfully poaching is down, and he can hear lions calling every night.

We have four hunters this year.

Walter, who needs no introduction.
Roy, again, everyone here knows him.
And Elliot. Elliot is a son of two of my old friends who have been working and living in Dubai for years. He is taking a year off his studies, and he loves hunting. He is also my godson.

Roy and me will be hunting with Alan Vincent, and I am not sure who is going to be hunting with Elliot and suffering Walter for this year.

Whoever it is, I am sure he will have some memorable moments to tell to his kids after being with Walter for three weeks.

Nothing new on the equipment department, as we are taking our two 375/404 rifles, which are going to be used by everyone.

Ammo is loaded with our own Walterhog bullets.

This combination has worked so well throughout the years, and I see no reason to change it.

We are taking lots of different cameras, and for the first time we are going to video our hunt in 4K.

I have tried the video camera here, and the results are stunning.

And as we usually do, we will have a daily live report from the camp.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67394 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safe travels and well wished Saeed...go get'em tu2

Looking forward to viewing it every day!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the best, looking forward to the blow-by-blow.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be thinking of you guys while I'm kicking back hurting from back surgery the 30th.

Have a safe fun hunt, look fwd to reading about it and seeing the many pictures.
Leave Walters dress at home this time!!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and straight shooting.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
How exciting. How many buff has Alan managed to reserve you this year?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
How exciting. How many buff has Alan managed to reserve you this year?

Whole herds I hope!

Posts: 67394 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Poor Elliot....have you told him what to expect with Walter or will it be a pleasant surprise for him?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Elliot knows Walter, as his parents.
His dad said it will be good for him to get a few pointers on life in a 3 week period that normally takes years for someone to get rotflmo

He has also been given instructions to make Walter life as difficult as possible, I hope he does a better job than you did.

You were far too nice to Walter last year.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
looking forward to the field reports and the new Walter cap.

have a great safari..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1591 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck to everyone, (my condolences to Eliot in advance [ha, ha]) looking forward to the reports, etc.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ah yes Saeed he might know him as old Walter the Dubai living mate of Saeeds BUT he doesn't know him as Walter.... menace of the African bush!

After all apart from a terrifying trip in his car I thought he was ok and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I soon learned shocker Big Grin

Anyway mate have a good hunt. Say G'day to the Vincent's for me tu2

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting and safe travels

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I get asked about the ammo, brass life, and sight adjustments on our rifles.

As we reload, I bring back all our empties. I clean the brass both in a sonic cleaner and a tumbler - not sure that is necessary, but I do it anyway.

All the brass cases have been used several times - I do not keep track of the number of times they have been fired, and use them as long as there is no visible physical damage.

Normally, a crack appears either on the shoulder, or neck. When that happens, the case is discarded.

I dismantle the rifles after I come back from our safari, and give them a thorough cleaning, then put them together again.

As I load my ammo, I fire a few shots to make minor adjustments which might be necessary.

Today I loaded all the ammo, and fired 3 shots in one rifle, and only one shot in the second one.

One rifle shot dead on at 100 yards, and as I normally lie to sight them about 2 inches high, I fired two more shots to make sure of that.

The second rifle cut the bullet hole of the first one, at about 2 inches high at 100 yards.

And as Tony will remember, Walter will make all sorts of excuses that the rifles need to be re-sighted as he keeps missing rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip Saeed. Hunting with a PH with whom you've had great success in the past is such a comforting feeling.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1384 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have an exciting but safe Safari. Best of luck especially to Elliot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your Safari Saeed.

I am looking forward to your hunt report!

Posts: 2647 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Best wishes Saeed. Hope y'all have a helluva good time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36841 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
As usual, we are heading to the Selous for our safari later this month.

Alan is already there hunting, and he tells me there are plenty of game, and thankfully poaching is down, and he can hear lions calling every night.

We have four hunters this year.

Walter, who needs no introduction.
Roy, again, everyone here knows him.
And Elliot. Elliot is a son of two of my old friends who have been working and living in Dubai for years. He is taking a year off his studies, and he loves hunting. He is also my godson.

Roy and me will be hunting with Alan Vincent, and I am not sure who is going to be hunting with Elliot and suffering Walter for this year.

Whoever it is, I am sure he will have some memorable moments to tell to his kids after being with Walter for three weeks.

Nothing new on the equipment department, as we are taking our two 375/404 rifles, which are going to be used by everyone.

Ammo is loaded with our own Walterhog bullets.

This combination has worked so well throughout the years, and I see no reason to change it.

We are taking lots of different cameras, and for the first time we are going to video our hunt in 4K.

I have tried the video camera here, and the results are stunning.

And as we usually do, we will have a daily live report from the camp.

Good Hunting Saeed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get asked about the ammo, brass life, and sight adjustments on our rifles.

As we reload, I bring back all our empties. I clean the brass both in a sonic cleaner and a tumbler - not sure that is necessary, but I do it anyway.

All the brass cases have been used several times - I do not keep track of the number of times they have been fired, and use them as long as there is no visible physical damage.

Normally, a crack appears either on the shoulder, or neck. When that happens, the case is discarded.

I dismantle the rifles after I come back from our safari, and give them a thorough cleaning, then put them together again.

As I load my ammo, I fire a few shots to make minor adjustments which might be necessary.

Today I loaded all the ammo, and fired 3 shots in one rifle, and only one shot in the second one.

One rifle shot dead on at 100 yards, and as I normally lie to sight them about 2 inches high, I fired two more shots to make sure of that.

The second rifle cut the bullet hole of the first one, at about 2 inches high at 100 yards.

And as Tony will remember, Walter will make all sorts of excuses that the rifles need to be re-sighted as he keeps missing rotflmo

Walter has different eyes to you Saeed......please.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Ya'll be careful now, ya hear?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9787 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I know that many more than me share the joy of reading about your hunts and seeing the videos. You do exactly what everyone hopes, which is to have a great time.

It sounds like so much fun.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Will look forward to it as always...

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Another year, woohoo. dancing

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the photos, and Walter-antics!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always, looking forward to your reports on your hunt.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, all the best on this trip!

If Cape buffalo had internet service, they would now be fleeing the Selous in herds and droves! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends who are not hunters, or shooters for that matter.

But, they enjoy watching our videos and hearing our hunting stories.

They keep telling each other that one day they will make up their minds and come with us.

Yesterday they said they might consider coming along, as long as I teach them PROPER shooting first.

I was, of course, more than happy to teach them.

I explained to them that hunting dangerous game requires shooting big guns, and they readily accepted this.

I also knew that all this came about from them teasing each other - and neither is ever going to set foot in Africa for a hunt.

So out comes a Ruger Number one we had converted to 460 Weatherby, and a box of 460 Weatherby ammo.

Sadly, they absolutely refused to let any photos or video being taken.

In fact, they even removed the GoPro cameras we have around the shooting room.

The first one fired a shot, sitting down, started screaming all sorts of profanity! His right hand clobbered him on the nose, as he crowded the stock, with blood coming out of his nose!

The second one wanted to leave the room, but none of us would have any of that.

He was told he had to fire one shot, or he is not leaving the room.

Eventually he agreed, and fired a shot standing.

I think we can forget about any of them ever firing a gun again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't beginners supposed to be started out on a rimfire?

Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two more Champions! rotflmo

Break a leg, Saeed, Walter's leg. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:

Big Grin

Not if they want to shoot cape buffalo!

I actually wanted them to shoot the 577 T.Rex.

But, they know that gun, and flatly refused to shoot it!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Saeed I don't need to wish you luck for your upcoming safari, you expertly make your own, but I sincerely do wish you and your friends a safe journey and hot barrels. As always have fun.

Posts: 3878 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:

Big Grin

Not if they want to shoot cape buffalo!

I actually wanted them to shoot the 577 T.Rex.

But, they know that gun, and flatly refused to shoot it!

Saeed,

You are a fine fellow, and provide the premier hunting information resource available anywhere, bar none, but you have a bit of a mean streak Wink

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9787 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Its not a mean streak mate, its an absolutely evil sense of humour Wink Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Safe Travels! I hope this year's adventure turns out to be one of the very best yet.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yo Saeed,

No matter how busy I have been this last year I will for sure be reading your annual hunting adventures!

~Ann

Posts: 19231 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

They keep telling each other that one day they will make up their minds and come with us.

Yesterday they said they might consider coming along, as long as I teach them PROPER shooting first.

I explained to them that hunting dangerous game requires shooting big guns, and they readily accepted this.

I also knew that all this came about from them teasing each other - and neither is ever going to set foot in Africa for a hunt.

So out comes a Ruger Number one we had converted to 460 Weatherby, and a box of 460 Weatherby ammo.

The first one fired a shot, sitting down, started screaming all sorts of profanity! His right hand clobbered him on the nose, as he crowded the stock, with blood coming out of his nose!

Sorry, but if they were true friends I wouldn't be proud of doing that to them.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Ah, well.

Friendship is a test, now, isn't it? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Ah, well.

Friendship is a test, now, isn't it? Big Grin

Trust certainly is.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We never stop playing tricks on each other clap