THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Suggested Shooting Practice for Bull Elephant
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggested Shooting Practice for Bull Elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'm headed out back to do some off hand shooting with my 416 Rigby in preparation for my elephant safari. Any suggestions other than off hand standing at 10 -25 yards and recycling after each shot?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
How about running very fast in a zig zag with the rifle pointing backwards over your shoulder, repeatedly firing, cycling and reloading whilst shouting OH FUUUUUUUUUUUCK rotflmo

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alternatively, practice shooting the tracker in the leg. After all, you don't need to outrun ol' Big Ears, you just need to outrun the slowest person there. Wink

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Go to the zoo and shoot every elephant you can find.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I told Kobus in a discussion before my recent elephant hunt last year. I bloody well have to shoot straight becausw its obvious I cant run. Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pick a spot on the wall or an object somewhere that is difficult to hit and repeatedly hold your sights their for as long as you can.You could then insert a dummy round or snap cap in the magazine and practice trigger control or dry firing on this same object.It is very boring but it's great practice.Another thing you could practice is loading and unloading the rifle and useing the safety.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Take your rifle on a prarie dog hunt, shoot off hand at any range you can, that will help you with your snap shooting.

Practice blaming your PH for poor shot setup and not pointing you at a trophy animal.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stalk and shoot wild pigs, with your elephant gun, of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Steve and Will:+1 thumb jumping

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
John,
I did just that a couple of weeks ago in Cody, Wy. That was great fun and excellent practice.

I guess there is no easy way to simulate shooting up to the height of an elephant's head other than Shootaways suggestion, which is a good one. I thought about shooting at knots in Aspen trees, but figured I'd kill the tree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to be as prepared for any eventuality as possible. Things I did to get ready for my tuskless hunt in Zim a couple weeks ago with my 416 Ruger:

1. Get a second or even third shot off without taking your rifle down from your shoulder. In the heat of shooting at mine, I still let the scope "kiss" me lightly on the third of four shots, because I didn't keep the same grip and mount!

2. Practice reloading from your belt in a hurry, and make sure that the rounds don't stick at all, or you can't access them instantly. Don't look down at the magazine while you reload.

3. Run up 30 yards to the firing line, like you're catching up to your bull, and shoot again under pressure to make another good shot.

4. Practice with that rifle safety, until its unconsious to know where it is and what it feels like in the right position.

5. Don't look for the brass. Tell the team that you'll give them a buck apiece for gathering them up behind you. Smiler

6. Practice smiling for the camera - Good Luck.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Blank, that is sage advise - thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
How about running very fast in a zig zag with the rifle pointing backwards over your shoulder, repeatedly firing, cycling and reloading whilst shouting OH FUUUUUUUUUUUCK rotflmo

I nearly bust a gut on that one Steve.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL - Great one Steve! Should make the hall-of-fame!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alternatively, practice shooting the tracker in the leg. After all, you don't need to outrun ol' Big Ears, you just need to outrun the slowest person there. Wink

Not to get off topic, but an old hunter friend of mine was telling me about a time he was hunting and came upon a lion in some tall grass. He had only his bow and his tracker had just a hatchet. He asked me what he thought he did given the predicament.

"Shoot the tracker in the foot and run?" was my guess. (Climb a tree was his answer, BTW).

Back on track now, Blank seems to have some good suggestions. Just in case, you might want to try shooting from on your back while rolling around. Wink

Have a fun hunt!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

........... jumping jumping jumping clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are practicing for elephant it is pointless shooting at a piece of paper three feet off the ground. To make it an effective practice make it as real as possible. If you intend to do a brain shot on your ele you will be aiming at something approx nine feet off the ground so practice at the angle that produces.
I dont profess to be an expert, only having shot one bull, but before I went I did all I could by way of reproducing the situation. I had a picture made life size and did all my practicing on it at the correct height and at twenty five yards distance.I even emailed a copy of the picture to my PH before I started so that he could indicate the exact spot that he wanted me to shoot at. In the final event the shot I took happened to be at exactly the same angle but only ten yards.
The picture thing is also far more fun than black dots on paper. Enjoy yourself.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I have seen that real elephant target with my own eyes and yes it's super and a great idea.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's comment about shooting running backwards reminds me of a question I had for my PH Alan Shearing last year after I had seen him in CM Safaris video Zambezi Extreme.
Alan is seen in the video having to shoot an ele cow in self defence. When I watched the video I noticed a bullet strike on the ground in front of the charging cow before Alan shot. When I asked him where it had come from he said that it was the game scout letting loose with his AK backwards over his shoulder while he was running away.He said he was more dangerous than the ele !!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I know that this is BS advice from a Texan that ain't ever gonna shoot an elephant or ever even want to, but I think the best thing to do, would be to practice putting the first shot just exactly where it needs to go, the first time, instead of worrying about that double tap.

Just a small rant here, but it seems to me over the pat 4 or 5 years or so, way too many folks worry about getting that second or third shot of on everything from cotton tails to elephants.

If that first round is placed where it needs to be, regardless of the critter, then the second shot will only be needed to make sure it stays down.

Jmo.

Have a Great Hunt. beer beer

Shakari, I have to agree, that piece of advice you gave is the best I have ever heard or read and will live in the Hall of Great Hunting Advice, for ever. thumb thumb beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
R. Jolly,

I really like your target. Anybody know where I can get one here in the US?

One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Google "wildlife artists"...
Or, for a smaller budget, take a high resolution picture down to your local printshop or a place that makes advertising banners.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Texas logic

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT
I took a "free" picture off the internet and then had a wide format printer print it on a thin vinyl. To get it life size it ended up approx six feet high and nine feet wide. Dont worry too much about the resolution. You cant tell what the picture is close up on mine, but at the correct distance it looks real. I had one done for a buff as well.
Good luck.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I like the banner idea.

R.Jolly, PM enroute.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like someone could make a few dollars by making them up and selling them to all the big bore shoots.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Shootaway's idea. I dry fire every single day. Have done so now for nearly 30 years. BTW, I never use snap caps. But then again, I shoot bolt guns. Never had a firing pin break.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Actually, I tend to think that a lot of dry firing etc is a bit of a waste of time because I'm sure that having got to this point, you're already pretty familiar with your rifle(s) already.

I'd suggest you try to spend as much time as possible watching Elephants on TV,DVD or even at the zoo and with appropriate use of a book such as The Perfect Shot, study where the appropriate target areas are as the animal moves around and changes angles etc.

I appreciate some range time never goes amiss - esp fast 2nd and subsequent shots, but I reckon knowing exactly where to put the shot from a variety of angles is at least as important.

Of the DVDs, I'd recommend Boddington on Elephant as the best one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, let me add I also shoot frequently - at least twice a week.

I think there is a difference between general practice and knowing where to shoot. Holding steady offhand only comes from practice. Knowing where to shoot doesn't involve a rifle at all.

One shouldn't need sticks to shoot offhand at distances less than 100 yards, but how many can do so? The reason they can't is pure and simple: practice.

I even dry fire off sticks before a safari, in addition to field shooting.

Ask anyone who shoots competitively: dry firing is invaluable. I can hit a pie plate every time from 500 yards with a sling from the sitting position, but you know what? I still dry fire every day. Did so today. Will do so tomorrow morning - after I get back from the range.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wasn't suggesting dry firing should be ignored/abandoned completely and apologise if I gave that impression...... I just think there are other aspects that are equally important.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The banner target is one great idea.

If there are any entrepreneurs out there this would be a great venture, making them available through AR. It could include not just elephants but other big five animals and some plains game (kudu, impala, wildebeest etc.) The banners could come with a correct color tape to cover those brain, heart, lung shots that we all make so consistently (for repeated use).

(Or would it be cheaper to just get the picture & have it blown-up.)

There are some commercial targets with the same concept - but only 24" x 36". The back side of these targets have the internal pictures of the vital areas (correctly positioned) so that one can evaluate their shot placement. But man, lifesize would be the cat's meow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I tend to think that a lot of dry firing etc is a bit of a waste of time because I'm sure that having got to this point, you're already pretty familiar with your rifle(s) already.

I'd suggest you try to spend as much time as possible watching Elephants on TV,DVD or even at the zoo and with appropriate use of a book such as The Perfect Shot, study where the appropriate target areas are as the animal moves around and changes angles etc.

I appreciate some range time never goes amiss - esp fast 2nd and subsequent shots, but I reckon knowing exactly where to put the shot from a variety of angles is at least as important.

Of the DVDs, I'd recommend Boddington on Elephant as the best one.

I'm a bit surprised at Steve's take that dry firing is a waste of time. It has served extremely well in my DG and PG hunts. Shooting heavy caliber rifles with a lot of recoil plays havoc with your trigger control. I can get my trigger control to a very high level but 20 rounds of 458 Lott ammo will always take much of it away.

Try this in preperation for your next safari or any other rifle hunt:

Pick a heavy scope sighted rifle and sight at a light bulb sized target out one of your windows 75 to 100 yards away. But before you do this open your action and make sure both the chamber and magazine are empty. Do this any time you set the rifle down and before you restart your practice. Get into the habit of always checking the rifle any time you pick it up. Aim at the target and try to do two things, the first is to have the trigger break when the crosshairs are aligned on the target. Second, work towards seeing absolutely no movement of the crosshairs after the sear breaks. This is also a good way to check on how good your trigger control is. I will bet that most of you who haven't been dry firing will see appreciable movement. It takes a lot of work to get to thae point of no movement but the rewards are treamendous. It will enable you to get your shot off almost instantly when the rifle hits your shoulder and the sights align. AnotherAZ writer is giving you excellent advise.

You still need to spend range time firing live ammo to check that your rifle is functioning properly, you become very profecient with operating it and it shoots where you are looking.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't suggesting dry firing should be ignored/abandoned completely and apologise if I gave that impression...... I just think there are other aspects that are equally important.

Ok, I agree with that.

Another question on the same front, which we have gone over many times, is when does the PH shoot? IMO, after I put the bullet into the critter, I have no problem with anyone else opening up. I hate to see a critter suffer. In fact, my days of single tapping are over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
True gun control is not having to double tap. Big Grin

Saw that bumper sticker somewhere. Now that I made my smart alec comment I firmly believe in skeet, skeet skeet! BTW I love the lifesize pic idea.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggested Shooting Practice for Bull Elephant
This is a no brainer - a tuskless elephant hunt of course! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
True gun control is not having to double tap. Big Grin

Saw that bumper sticker somewhere. Now that I made my smart alec comment I firmly believe in skeet, skeet skeet! BTW I love the lifesize pic idea.

Reminds me of a great bumper sticker I saw: "My other auto is a 9mm."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle won't shoot strait at 10 to 25 yards. Practice getting closer Big Grin

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I would start by practicing at 9 or 10 yards.

Not too many serious suggestions here, but I like Bill C's! (Hunt a cow elephant first as practice!)

Also like the idea of running 30 yards prior to your shot.

Get Will's book, and study the elephant chapter of The Perfect Shot. (I did and hit my cow in the left hip bone as instructed for going away shot, best shot I made according to my PH who was surprised I knew to aim for the prominent hip bone).

I would also like to suggest that you practice at VERY close range. Especially if you use a scope on your .416.

9-10 yards is perfectly realistic. Be ready to shoot that close!

Hopefully this will convince you to use a scope that has 100 - 130 foot field of view. (Just 3 that I know of).

Or make your rifle for elephant only and use a peep sight.

Enjoy your practice time, and best of luck on your hunt.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Shumba,
You know this rifle is as accurate as they come. I can't believe you sold it!!!!!