Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

essentials to carry on your belt
 Login/Join

posted
what do you guys consider is a must to carry on your belt? how much ammo and what other items wont you leave the truck without?

Posts: 17 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 11 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I carry the same stuff I do for a long hike. Small fanny pack with a water bottle. In the fanny pack is a small first aid kit, multi purpose tool, flashlight, emergency blanket, fire starter, paracord, and two snacks.

I have always found that a full magazine plus 4 rounds on my sling and another 5 rounds on my belt (total of 12-13) to be plenty for any excursion away from the truck.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Texas Hunt Co belt, 15 rounds of ammo, leatherman, bug spray, and surefire in the pouches. Camera in my shirt pocket.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Add some "white gold" (toilet paper) or be prepared to sacrifice a hanky ...

Johan

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Johan,

That is what the knife blade on the multipuropse tool is for along with your shirt sleaves. jumping

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While elephant hunting, my belt carries a total of twelve rounds of solids, including the two that are loaded into the rifle on departure from the truck, a two round slide for softs if I have reason to believe I may have a use for them, otherwise the slide is empty and serves as a stop to keep a small multi-tool on the belt.

In my shirt pocket I carry some combination of hard and soft candies and gum for keeping the wistle wet and the thrist and dust at bay. In my pants pocket I carry about a quarter roll of TP. Also, a tin of Skoal in my pants pocket, sometime my shirt pocket.

The first day of the trip I give the number two tracker, to carry in his pack, an extra set of contacts and solution, small bottles of sunsceeen and bug juice, Imodium Plus, some Advil or other pain killers, a small collection of other meds and a small vial of iodine water purification tablets. If we are not 100% focused on elephant, this tracker will also carry my light rifle, a 375H&H, with four in the magazine and an empty chamber.

Given to each tracker day one and carried on their belts are a five round holder of 375H&H ammo, each tracker carrying three softs and two solids.

Sometimes I'll add a small camera to a trackers pack, occasionally a pair of Leica 8x20 binos too. If we are hiking up to do some glassing I will often give one of the trackers my 8x32 Leica Trinivids as well.

You could load each tracker with everything including the kitchen sink and they will still outwalk any client hunter and most, if not all, PH's. Let them carry what isn't immeadiately nessecary.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
For big game, I prefer a minimum of ten FMJ rounds on my belt and two softs. Plus whats in my rifle.
For PM hunts I like a small torch.
I also like to carry a knife and small digital camera.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ammo, usually around 15-20 rounds, knife and range finder. Nothing else on the belt.

Pockets full of odds and ends - lens pen, candy, bandanna, sunglasses, etc.

With the ammo, because I never know which rifle I'll be using on any given stalk, I break the "rules" and carry two calibers, one caliber in belt carriers threaded to the left of the buckle and the other caliber same to the right.

Trackers carry whatever else is needed, especially water.

My wife is a terrific photographer, and carries the camera and other odds and ends. She's simply the best and has always been with me every step of the way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ammo holder with at least ten extra rounds,(with a full magazine and one already in the chamber), a small fanny pack with pocket digital camera,surefire flashlight,a few spare batteries for both the surefire and the camera, lens cleaner, leupold scope/gun tool, an extra full box of ammo, soft cloth, toilet paper, small sunscreen and lip balm, knife, a copy of the gun permit, a handful of some hard candies and a small packet of gum. Trackers usually carry water, a small first aid kit, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing on a belt. I can't stand the damn things.

Five extra rounds in a buttstock holder, makes the rifle balance right.

Water, knife, leatherman, candy, camera, etc. in a cotton cloth fishing creel (possibles bag). Always bring extra BATTERIES. They are always freash and in the bag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I leave the Cruiser I carry:

Rifle
Ammo (10 rounds)
Binos
My own stash of TP
Sunglasses
Multitool
Pocket camera
Sunscreen/bugdope

If your more comfortable with other items coming along have the trackers pack them. In my mind a bunch of stuff on your belt or in a pack of some kind is an encumberance.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Texas Hunt Co PH belt.
6 rounds ammo in cabelas canvas and leather slide (4 in rifle)
Knife in leather case
Multitool, Surefire, Bug spray, Camera, Small video camera all in Texas Hunt Co cases
Sunglasses on neck strap
Candies, lozenges, etc.
Chapstick, lens cloth in pockets

This all rides on the belt which is very comfortable to me. I can walk miles and wear it all day and hardly realize it is there. I like it much better than a back pack or fanny pack and by having it right there on my belt, I don't have to summon a tracker everytime I need something.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my belt I carry a pouch for at least 8 rounds of ammo for my rifle, a compass, Leatherman tool, Puma Duke folder, Puma Stockman, Light my fire steel. Sun Glasses and a hat. Depending were I am will determine what goes in either fanny pack or Day pack. I take usually enough to eat for at least two days on day trips. More if its real Remote. Don't bother much with cell phones, but a good map of the area I am in is a must have.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five rounds of ammo on the belt, and a folding knife. Swiss Army Knife and a bandana in pants pocket. More ammo in shirt pocket with loops, or in a leather packet if no loops on the shirt and of course small binos in the shirt pocket. I hate those big ole black bino harnesses with the big binos. Somebody on here said they look like a bra! All the rest I leave in the truck, including the camera. I try to travel as light as I can.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Johan,

That is what the knife blade on the multipuropse tool is for along with your shirt sleaves. jumping

shocker Is that what's behind the sleeveless shirt style in Africa?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my belt: a basic load of 10 rounds in a Murray leather carrier, leatherman; in my pack: box of ammo, spare socks, camelbak, camera, dried fruit for snacking, rifle cleaning kit, screwdrivers to fit scope and action screws, gps, compass, baby wipes: on the jeep first aid kit.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Belt...
18 rnds ammo- usually 10 soft and 8 solids. My rifle will be laoded with whatever is appropriate for what we are hunting., A leatherman super tool, ash bottle, S&W 329, GPS.

Ziess bino with integral range finder on harness round neck and usually a cammlbak mule with all sorts of goodies..mainly 6hr energy, doxypol imodium an bog roll- to keep client walking (and not sh&ting himself to death) when all hope has faded Wink- Actually tracker carries most stuff. I just carry enough for me if we get seperated, and I always carry the first aid kit.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta remember to take the imodium! Thanks Ganyana. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry my bell on my belt but that was before i lost weight Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

yuck animal jumping animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What was the bell for?? So they could find you if you wandered off, or was it so the Grizzley bears could hear you coming, and not get startled? We used to carry a bell on our backpacks when we were hiking in Grizzley country! They used to tie a bell on little kids saddles when they were riding in the back country in case they wandered off from the group. Wink Or did you just mean you carried you belly on your belt! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oppppps Big Grin belly

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bell on your shoes just piss the bears off when they have to shit them out the next day dancing

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:

What was the bell for?? So they could find you if you wandered off, or was it so the Grizzley bears could hear you coming, and not get startled? We used to carry a bell on our backpacks when we were hiking in Grizzley country! They used to tie a bell on little kids saddles when they were riding in the back country in case they wandered off from the group. Wink Or did you just mean you carried you belly on your belt! rotflmo
nope. the bell was so if searchers found a pile of bearshit with a bell in it, they would know to quit searching.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spare ammo on an 80's Rigby London scabbard. Amazing how often I needed a lot of ammo. I like it lightweigtht so not much more than the ammo and a leatherman. in the trouser leg pockets some water and a very light flashlight.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leather mini-humidor and five or six good cigars.
I suggest Ashton VSG's in the 7x54 ring.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh and don't forget a deep nail pouch to holster a bottle of Macallan. ( Can you get a couple extra gun bearers and water boy to dolly around a generator and a a ice maker?)

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
This is what folks carried in the olden days
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:

nope. the bell was so if searchers found a pile of bearshit with a bell in it, they would know to quit searching.

jumping jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry on my belt--100 rounds of ammo, 80 soft, 20 sledgehammers, a water pack with 2 gallons of water, a few power bars, 2 pounds of hard candy for the local kids, a soccar ball and a pump to inflate it with, a couple of baseball caps and some old sneakers for the trackers, a leatherman tool-just in case I need it, a camera for pictures of the local wild life, a laptop computer, so I can post to my friends on AR, a few trinkets for the locals, 2 six packs of beer, and a GPS, just in case I the PH gets stomped by an Ele and I can't find my way back to the truck! I also carry a big Bowie knife and a folding saw, and some sun glasses. Also some bug spray, sun guard, and Viagra. And don't forget the toilet paper and the Imodium. I won't go into what I have in my fanny pack!

Really, some of you guys need to get a life! Wink

I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Most of my hunting is in New Zealand. My pack is typical - as suggest by Mountain Safety council & NZ Deer Stalkers association.

I always have a fanny pack - we call it bumbag and a day pack.

The bumbag has a good knife, my GPS, an A4 sheet laminated map of the area I am hunting with all the coordinates written down, my wrist compass, 2 cigarette lighters, a candle, a foil emergency blanket, basic first aid kit, referee's whistle, small torch, spare AA batteries, Swiss army knife, 12 rounds ammo, 1 roll insulation tape, 2 feet length of rope.

The day pack has my light rain coat, thick bush coat in case the weather turns nasty, water bottle, snacks such as moro bars, mixed dry fruits & nuts, apple. Binoculars / range finder, Head lamp - modern light one with batteries and 3 feet length of mutton cloth (stocking type). The whole lot (bumbag & day pack) would weigh about 3 to 4 kgs. My scoped Kimber Montana weighs less!

Edited: Oh...and a roll of toilet paper!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11195 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we about to the stage where I can tell you about just taking my Kawasaki 750 with six foot trailer yet?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Are we about to the stage where I can tell you about just taking my Kawasaki 750 with six foot trailer yet?

Rich

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found easiest and lightest way to hunt in in Landcruiser, but have to be quick shots, as if you got the window open too long the air conditionings not too effective Smiler Smiler

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aussie21:
Oh and don't forget a deep nail pouch to holster a bottle of Macallan. ( Can you get a couple extra gun bearers and water boy to dolly around a generator and a a ice maker?)

Predictably banal response. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dam looks like we have every thing except a blow dryer for your hair on this list dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go light except on ammo. I carry twenty rounds of solids in a Westley Richards culling belt and two softs in my front pockets, one in each so they don't rattle. A Leatherman tool on my pants belt under the culling belt and an ash bag in my shirt pocket. I also carry a set of Leica mimi-binoculars in my left shirt pocket. I usually have the game scout carry my small camera bag with a few other goodies like candy and spare camera batteries and flash cards. That's it. I'll let the trackers carry the water, sandwiches and toilet paper.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my belt; ammo pouch with ten rounds, flashlight and a gerber multitool.

Pocket carry items; TP, chapstick, eyedrops-I have dry eyes, wet wipes.

I rarely take a pack, leave it on the truck with camera,, extra ammo, sunscreen and maybe a few handwipes and some meds, maybe candy or cookies. Usually the trackers have a pack with water. If something is needed, the trackers can run back and get it.

I want to go as light as possible.

Regards PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote