THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone concerned about going to Zim?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone concerned about going to Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Given what appears to be a total economic meltdown in Zim, does it give any of you headed over this year cause for concern ?

I am going . I am reading some of these news accounts . I wonder what will happen if things blow up while I am there .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry;

We're all waiting for you to test the waters for us!!!

I'll trust you're experience!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You already know that I am, but I'll go anyway and have a good time.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is a word of advice, that has never let me down.

Go and hunt with some you trust. Anything you think you require there just ask your host to provide.
You can pay for it in advance or after you return.

That is how we have always done it hunting Africa, regardless of country.
Saves you carrying money and worrying about what might happen.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I depart from Atlanta on the pm of the 8th of this month. Delta 200.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I wonder what will happen if things blow up while I am there .

You will have a great story to tell if, er, when you get back.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Anyone reluctant to travel to Zim, please let me know, I am a potential buyer of abandoned hunts for $0.25 on the $1.00. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just came back from Zim 2 days ago. We heard there were a lot of road blocks between the Bubye (BVC) and Bulawayo so chartered back to Bulawayo. When leaving at immigration they asked me how much money I had. I said about $2600 so he said it was too much! I told them that I had brought the money in with me and more and showed them proof (blue form which i completed on arrival). He looked it over and said fine and let me pass. Other than that no problems. If Mugabe goes there could be issues!

I would definitely declare your money on arrival on the BLUE FORM if you plan on carrying some.

More about our 40 animal hunt later.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went at the height of the political problems. I went to the Save when it was the center of controversy . Never thought twice about it . This seems a bit different .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I am? BUT I am still going!!! Cool

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Anyone reluctant to travel to Zim, please let me know, I am a potential buyer of abandoned hunts for $0.25 on the $1.00. Cool

If that includes my .600, we may have to talk (and write up a contract, of course).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just don't pay any attention to the overly neurotic travel warnings as proffered by various embassies. Zim will be fine. If all he'll broke loose and you were in the bush you wouldn't even know. And it would be short-lived. The "simmering masses" are really only interested in where to loot the best selection of flatscreens.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:

Taking advantage of a bad situation is wrong. I will give 30 cents on the dollar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim is always "interesting". I use Global Rescue every trip to insure Zim does not become "memorable".

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
Just don't pay any attention to the overly neurotic travel warnings as proffered by various embassies. Zim will be fine. If all he'll broke loose and you were in the bush you wouldn't even know. And it would be short-lived. The "simmering masses" are really only interested in where to loot the best selection of flatscreens.

rotflmo

. . . sounds like most major cities in the US.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Zim 03 July after hunting 14 days there. Loved every minute of the hunting. Bit of rudeness from oficials on arrival at Harare, and was squeezed for "drinks money" by two guys who brought my firearm into the baggage claim area. But, must admit, they expedited the firearms clearance through the customs firearms inspection. Declared my cash on the form. Was well looked after by my hosts so experienced no issues. Yes, plenty of roadblocks but we were waved through most. Obviously with the Zim economic situation and current cash crisis many are doing it tough which I suspect could lead to some minor issues. Overall though I would not be uncomfortable going again and hope to do so sometime. Personally I would avoid city centres and any nightime activities and would expect to remain safe.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

If that includes my .600, we may have to talk ( and write up a contract, of course ).
Cal

You might not live long enough to read the whole thing. Roll Eyes

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should elaborate a bit more. We, here in the US,bare getting bits and pieces of what is going on over there. I have a lot of friends over there. Some are sending me info/articles that are somewhat surprising/shocking. For example , one says that Botswana has closed their border and are now refusing to recognize Mugabe as the legitimate ruler of Zimbabwe. Another discusses people attacking the police.

These do not seen normal to me at all. Frankly , they bother me a lot more than the previous issues.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobmn:
Zim is always "interesting". I use Global Rescue every trip to insure Zim does not become "memorable".

You buy the "executive" plan with extraction services?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps I should elaborate a bit more. We, here in the US,bare getting bits and pieces of what is going on over there. I have a lot of friends over there. Some are sending me info/articles that are somewhat surprising/shocking. For example , one says that Botswana has closed their border and are now refusing to recognize Mugabe as the legitimate ruler of Zimbabwe. Another discusses people attacking the police.

These do not seen normal to me at all. Frankly , they bother me a lot more than the previous issues.

Same sort of reports for me (from people I respect) but I'm still going in less than 60 days. Might rethink travel to the hunting concession by road, though.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe protests take to the internet that the government blames on a US led conspiracy and Crazy Bob threatens to shut down social media.

The Zimbabwean government has also engaged in its own war of words, firstly trying (largely unsuccessfully) to kickstart the counter-hashtag #OurFlag, but also trying to delegitimse the social media phenomenon as a US conspiracy.

After US ambassador Harry Thomas tweeted “wonder if #Zimbabwe’s #thisflag movement will spread to the US and other nations”, Zimbabwean Minister Jonathan Moyo claimed the US was behind the whole movement. He claimed a meeting the ambassador had held with social media voices was “Evidence of an exposed cat coming out of a see-through bag” and claimed “US envoys ignited social media revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, whose common outcome was bloodshed”.

Furthermore, faced with growing dissent, Mugabe has even threatened to control social media, saying: “There is a lot of filth in it. There are a lot of serious insults peddled in there…China set up security measures and we will soon look into how they are administering it so that the abuses and insults can be reduced.”

However, ICT Minister Supa Mandiwanzira has poured cold water on this idea somewhat, saying: “[The internet] is an important tool for development and no sane government or sane minister would say we want to ban social media. And if there was an intention by anyone to ban social media it would be next to impossible.”

http://africanarguments.org/20...-will-be-hashtagged/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where did you see this? I am crossing from Kasane to Victoria Falls.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never easy in Zimbabwe. But I would not hesitate to go hunting albeit with more caution.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:

Where did you see this? I am crossing from Kasane to Victoria Falls.

It was sent to me today from someone in Zim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While it does appear there are riots as well as those openly wanting violent overthrow of the government , I think the article my friend sent about Botswana is old.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit: Yes. Global Rescue is also a good source of current conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I follow Peter Goodwin on Facebook. He has been posting some pretty harsh rioting pictures from Harare via Twitter feeds.

I have also seen a lot of my Zim friends go pretty quite on social media. I have previously been told by Zim guys they don't discuss political stuff on email as they think uncle bob is monitoring email.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I called Victoria Falls this morning. I asked about the border crossing with Botswana. She said as far as she knew its was still open, but the border crossing with South Africa was closed. She said all this is just in Harare and should be over in a day or two. We shall see.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am much more afraid of Chicago than Zim.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
My PH and his wife live in Harare, and I spoke with them this morning. They are not concerned. They indicated there will be demonstrations tomorrow, so they are staying out of the downtown area. They said the jist was taxi drivers were tired of getting shaken down at police roadblocks, so they are demonstrating. Bob will only put up with this kind of thing for so long, and then he will clamp down. I fly 6 Sept, and I am not the least bit concerned. My September hunt will be safari #8 there. I have never had trouble of any kind at the airport or any place else in Harare or out in the bush. Before you fly, talk to your PH - he will probably give you good advice.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave for Vic falls a week from Friday. I guess it will either be better, worse or the same when I am there!

Looking forward to my trip. we won't be able to get out into the bush fast enough. once on the hunt, all the political worries should go to the wayside. Just the part of getting to and from the airport that will be a challenge.

Ahh Africa...

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What I find interesting . . . and somewhat instructive . . . is that the State Department has not issued any travel warnings or advisories. In the past the State Department has issued numerous warnings and advisories regarding travel to Zim. We also know there is no love lost between the US and Zim so the US certainly does not have any incentive to play it safe when it comes to Zim in terms of issuing advisories and warnings. I am not suggesting that the situation on the ground could not change quickly but at least at this point, the State Department, which has never hesitated to issue warnings or advisories regarding Zim in the past at a drop of the hat, has not done either.

Here are the security messages issued by the Embassy in Harare (as opposed to the State Department): Emabassy Security Messages

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first trip over was back when all the war vet stuff was beginning and we chartered directly into camp from Joberg and avoiding the major airports to clear customs. I cannot believe after all these years Zim has not rotted off all the meat from the bone. No predicting Africa as it is the proper place for dysfunction to thrive. If we had all been waiting for the collapse we would have missed enjoying Africa that Zim afforded. Eventually it has to end in Zim but I have long stopped predicting it.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I find interesting . . . and somewhat instructive . . . is that the State Department has not issued any travel warnings or advisories. In the past the State Department has issued numerous warnings and advisories regarding travel to Zim. We also know there is no love lost between the US and Zim so the US certainly does not have any incentive to play it safe when it comes to Zim in terms of issuing advisories and warnings. I am not suggesting that the situation on the ground could not change quickly but at least at this point, the State Department, which has never hesitated to issue warnings or advisories regarding Zim in the past at a drop of the hat, has not done either.

Here are the security messages issued by the Embassy in Harare (as opposed to the State Department): Emabassy Security Messages

There is one from Canada, but none on the USA site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot believe after all these years Zim has not rotted off all the meat from the bone.

All the meat and the marrow long gone; just the dessicated bone is left and even the hyenas got no use for it. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
See my post today FROM MOKORE SAFARIS TODAY ON HARARE.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been every year since 2008. I was there at the height of the turmoil. I was in the Save at the height of the turmoil there. This feels different to me. I have seen some things (videos) and commentary on social media that I find disturbing. Things I have not seen or heard before.

Mike makes a good point. No warnings have been issued. On the other hand, they appear to not be able to charge a felon.

If I do not go,it will not be because of this type of thing.