THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone concerned about going to Zim?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone concerned about going to Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hearing rumors that the zim government is trying to block whatsapp.

Retweeted Nicholas Dawes (@NicDawes):

Zimbabweans are quickly learning the VPN shuffle today as their government blocks whatsapp on local networks. #ZimShutDown2016

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get through on what's app right now. I read the same thing.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
How is that even possible? anyways no problem on whatsapp for me to Zim.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Zim government engaged in cyber espionage. As I sit here looking at an old 200 trillion dollar Zim note, I have to chuckle. Could happen for sure, but then again I do not think I have ever even seen a government computer that was working . . . now take away their carbon paper . . . that would shut the country down.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not think twice about going.I wish I were going this year.I might go next year or the year after.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, a year ago I was in Zim and all I can think about is going back.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The Zim government engaged in cyber espionage. As I sit here looking at an old 200 trillion dollar Zim note, I have to chuckle. Could happen for sure, but then again I do not think I have ever even seen a government computer that was working . . . now take away their carbon paper . . . that would shut the country down.

That was the attitude of the international election monitors during the last election and Uncle Bob stole the election electronically.

http://www.theindependent.co.z...aga-takes-new-twist/

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
How is that even possible? anyways no problem on whatsapp for me to Zim.

Whatsapp is tied to a phone number but uses data/internet on mobile devices and wifi/internet to route calls.

Only real way to shut in down would be to shut down cell and internet service in country. Then one can always use sat systems to create wifi and be able to communicate on WhatsApp (data/text more than voice).

Why India does not allow sat phones - they want to make sure they can monitor and shut down mobile communication if they need to.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The govt has tried shutting down what's app so people cannot coordinate protests. I have gotten some photos and videos the last two days from multiple friends in Bulawayo. Communications has been on and off with them.

http://mg.co.za/article/2016-0...-workers-stay-away-1

People chasing cops, throwing rocks, tire fires etc. People may have had enough of comrade Bob and his friends. I do know the tone from friends is a bit more serious but who knows.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave in five weeks. A few hours in Harare, the on to the Valley. I am comfortable going.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The BBC is reporting problems now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36724874

The streets of Zimbabwe's main cities are deserted during a nationwide stay away to protest at the lack of jobs and unpaid wages. The protests were organised through the messaging site WhatsApp but it is not clear which group is behind it. The internet was often unavailable on Wednesday morning but the government has denied blocking it. The BBC's Brian Hungwe in the capital Harare says it is one of the biggest protests in many years. Protesters also set up burning barricades in Harare.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything since July 6? Looks like it is settling a bit. I leave August 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been getting pretty good updates from several people. Latest was from yesterday. Seems to be quiet in Harare but warming up in other places. Below are quotes from friends.

"Things in Harare are quiet. Bulawayo protests are going well and a complete success! So proud of the Zimbabwean people who took a stand today with just stones and fire, up against the most ruthless police force.... Everyone fired up now, never been an uprising like this in 30 years!!!!"

Posted on social media from Zim.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone and the border to RSA is definitely shut down. Protestors were attempting to burn down the border post on the Zim and South African sides. There are a good amount of Zimbabweans in South Africa. I guess some of them have joined the revolt. There are always riots in Africa. South Africa has there fare share as well. Remember the Rustenburg miners riots in 2009. A good amount of people were killed. I was hunting near there while this was going on and had no problems.
If I was scheduled to leave today I would still go but I would do the following.
1. Do not carry your guns. Call your Outfitter and use his. If you have to get out of the country in a hurry you will not be able to get guns out. Also if they are about to start a revolution your guns could be at a greater risk of getting stolen.
2. Upgrade to the political unrest service on your Global Rescue.
3. Rent a sat phone.
4. Write down 172 Herbert Chitepo Avenue
263-4-250593/4 US Embassy in Harare
If you call the Embassy they will tell you not to come. The State department has had travel warnings on Zim ever since the Bush Wars.

Zimbabwe truly needs a Revolution and this may be the beginning. I wish that our Government would get involved. The problem is that China is sitting back waiting to bring in their money and implement resolutions.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are travel warmings for Zim?

I haven't seen any.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that Unlce Bob and a lot of other undemocratic governments allow social media and smartphones mobile networks in their countries. Learn from the Chinese - keep Google, Facebook and Twitter out. Every smartphone is a media hub and communication device as a live streamed police shooting in MN shows.

Some guys in Zim I know are active on social media with some political stuff and some are radio silent. I like the radio silent approach. Just as social media (a whatapps chain) is super effective in spreading s political message - one seize phone (put an ak to someone's head) and undeleted communication chains can expose a lot of people. Whatsapp is not anonymous - it is tied to a phone number and a identity.

If I was hunting Zim I would primarily rely on my outfitter. For first timer who have not hunted or don't know the outfitter it might be unnerving, but the Zim guys are professionals and will handle it 99.9 percent of the time.

Otherwise I would let the locals (black Africans) handle their political issues. We (international hunters) are just tourists there.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Rec'd a call from Garry Hopkins in Bulawayo today. There were a couple of instances of violence but mostly peaceful demonstrations. Gary took his wife to work this AM and rode around a bit to see what was happening. Basically things were quiet, stores open and biz as usual. He says public servants and police are getting their pay now.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My latest updates from Zim. These are from several different people living in Zim.

"Government has been given demands. they have till Wednesday next week to address them. If not riots will start again....and we will continue till we are heard.......Now is our chance"

"Police severely beat a chap in a wheel chair! No Mercy here. Heard that they burnt the ZIMRA offices at the border."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't get into politics here. However, when there is over a 90% unemployment rate for an extended period of time something has to change no matter what the reason. Sooner or later the people will demand it. I think we are seeing the start of that demand.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A matter of perspective I guess . . . I wonder if the Zim operators are concerned about going to DSC in Dallas in January? Point being there are very few truly safe places in the world these days it seems. Pity society has devolved to this level. I worry about our children and the world we are leaving them.

Frowner

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07...sNext&pgtype=article
The below just about sums it up.

"Other protesters have targeted one of Mr. Mugabe’s vice presidents, Phelekezela Mphoko, for staying at a luxury hotel for more than a year at a cost of more than $1 million. Mr. Mphoko has refused to move into a government-appointed residence because, according to the local news media, it is not to his taste."

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
From the US State Department Website.

The political, social, economic, and security situation in Zimbabwe is unpredictable and could deteriorate quickly without warning. While the country is relatively stable, the government may use force to disperse civilian demonstrations and protests. U.S. citizens in or traveling to Zimbabwe should avoid all crowds, public demonstrations, and protests.

You should carefully evaluate travel around Zimbabwe by road, particularly at night (please see the Traffic Safety and Road Conditions section below). If traveling by road, you should make sure you have working communication devices, evidence of your citizenship, and a valid visa. Such evidence should include photocopies of the biodata page of your passport and your Zimbabwe visa approval stamp. You should also notify a trusted friend or family member of your itinerary, including expected departure and arrival times.

Communications infrastructure in Zimbabwe is unreliable. Telephone and cell phone outages are common and, although cell phones usually work in most urban areas, outages do occur, and large sections of Zimbabwe are without reliable coverage.

Resident and visiting U.S. citizens have been arrested, detained, and threatened with expulsion for activities that would not be considered crimes in the United States, including the administration of humanitarian aid and the expression of opinions regarding the current political regime in Zimbabwe. Criticism of the President of Zimbabwe is a crime in Zimbabwe. The streets around State House, the official residence of the president, and the Botanical Gardens are particularly sensitive, and are closed to vehicle, bicycle, and foot traffic from 6 pm to 6 am daily. Drivers and pedestrians in that area should exercise caution. Taking photographs around State House is strictly prohibited. President Mugabe and other senior government officials travel around Harare accompanied by large and aggressive motorcades that have been known to run motorists off the road. Security personnel occasionally beat and harass drivers who fail to pull out of the way quickly enough. U.S. citizens are advised to be aware of police vehicles and police motorcycles flashing lights and sirens, and should move quickly off the road and come to a complete stop if overtaken by a motorcade.

U.S. citizen visitors have been detained under suspicion of operating as journalists without accreditation for photographing cultural sites and areas that may not immediately appear to be sensitive. Tourists may also be subject to harassment or arrest for photographing police, roadblocks, occupied commercial farms, and government buildings or military installations, official residences or embassies, including the president’s residence. Get prior written permission from the appropriate government office before taking such photographs. It is not always immediately apparent what the police deem sensitive. Police have detained U.S. citizens for photographing any subject they view as sensitive no matter how innocuous it may seem to the photographer. You should be very aware of your surroundings and seriously consider the risks of taking any pictures outside game parks and known tourist areas.

The government frequently uses marked and unmarked (ad hoc) road blocks to enforce order and collect fines, particularly in urban centers and on major roads. Even though these road blocks are manned by uniformed police officers, be cautious when approaching them, particularly at night. When instructed by police or other security officials to stop at a roadblock, comply with these instructions. If possible, carry a mobile phone or other means of communication. Other ongoing security conditions that could affect the safety of tourists in Zimbabwe include crime (see below) and the occupation of commercial farms.

We urge you to take responsibility for your own personal security while traveling overseas. While in Zimbabwe, you should closely monitor the current situation, keep your travel documents up to date, and make your own contingency plans in the event of disturbances. You should make or update complete inventories of your household/personal effects and maintain an adequate supply of food, water, and necessary medications. See the State Department’s information on emergency and crisis planning.

To stay connected:
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so we can keep you up to date with important safety and security announcements.
Follow the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.
Bookmark the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution.
Follow the U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe on Twitter and by visiting the Embassy’s website.
In the event of an emergency, contact us at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free within the United States and Canada, or via a regular toll line, 1-202-501-4444, from other countries.
Take some time before traveling to consider your personal security and checking for useful tips for traveling safely abroad.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
All good advice . . . but that is not a State Department Travel Alert or Warning. There are no current Travel Alerts or Warnings for Zim. The information above is simply country background information that has been available on the State Department website for years. Not suggesting that anyone should or should not go to Zim, each person should make up their own mind, merely noting that while there have been a number of Travel Alerts and Warnings for Zim in the past, there is not one currently in effect regarding the events that are the subject of this thread.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe on Friday blamed sanctions imposed by Western countries for his government's failure to pay salaries on time, in his first public comments after a week of unrest in the county. Mugabe, 92 and in power for 36 years, was addressing supporters in Bindura, about 100 kilometers (62 miles) northeast of the capital, Harare. He delivered his speech in the dark, explaining that he was late because he spent most of the day in meetings to solve internal differences in his ZANU-PF party.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...r-late-salaries.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We are leaving on 8/12, not worried, yet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave August 12 also. Head to Zim August 14

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The Bahamas. just issued a Travel Advisory for the U.S.!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe on Friday blamed sanctions imposed by Western countries for his government's failure to pay salaries on time, in his first public comments after a week of unrest in the county. Mugabe, 92 and in power for 36 years, was addressing supporters in Bindura, about 100 kilometers (62 miles) northeast of the capital, Harare. He delivered his speech in the dark, explaining that he was late because he spent most of the day in meetings to solve internal differences in his ZANU-PF party.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...r-late-salaries.html

He also said he had brought them prosperity. I could not stop laughing. The unemployment rate and his age are roughly the same. That is no joke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every single friend of mine over there says that it is fine to come. However, two of them think unspecified major changes are on the way before year end.

An unemployment rate of 90%+ cannot continue forever no matter what the reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/ZimTo...os/1744479905808118/

People are standing up for themselves over there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave Friday.

Any changes in the status?

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not that I am aware of. Have fun Jeff. Hope you are doing something interesting.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave Friday too... Would not be a trip to Zim for me if it was not threatening to fall apart just before I headed over!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I were in Zim June 17-27 and experienced absolutely zero problems. If you outfitter says it's safe, it is.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all, understandably there are concerns when you see some of the video clips etc. For sure the Zim people are fed up with incessant road blocks and today is the second stay away so will be interesting to see what takes place. I have been around suburbs in Harare today and all seems quiet. I think there is minimal threat to anyone who comes here on a hunt. I drove up from SVC on Monday with clients and dropped them at the airport with zero problems. The issues are going to be in the townships and city centres where taxi drivers etc are enough and protesting. Most shops ,schools etc have closed for the day in a peaceful protest to say enough is enough and change is required. I don't ant to get into the politics of it all but all of you that have been here before understand how this place is and it's issues. I certainly don't feel threatened as my wife and kids drive around Harare today visiting friends and think best thing to do is chat with your PH shortly before you depart and get his final comments and go from there. Happy hunting to those coming out!

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Not that I am aware of. Have fun Jeff. Hope you are doing something interesting.

Mike,

I am taking my 11 year old son. I want to take him while there is still some Africa left. Going to Nuanetsi and trying to make up for my leopard fail last year.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jeff. You are doing the same trip Paul Smith did with his son last year and as you know they had an outstanding trip. I have little doubt that yours will not be just as great. Shoot straight.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Jeff, as Mike said I went to Nuanetsi last July with my 15 year old son. We had an incredibly successful safari, although my son shot so many animals I ran out of money! Nuanetsi is truly a magical place.

Your son will likely see over 100 animals every day and will see all manner of species from elephant to bush babies.

There have been some really great leopards taken in Nuanetsi since it re-opened in 2012.

I'm 100% certain that you will have a great hunt and adventure. Brent Leesmay is the general manager of Nuanetsi and runs a great operation. Sandy Schultz (PH Rich Schultz's mom) is the manager of the Mbizi camp (main camp) and it is fantastic.

Do you know who your PH will be?

Anyway, best of luck and safe travels.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am taking PH Rich Tabor with me. My son will be doing most of the shooting and he is a better shot than me.

Jeff