Find
Notify
Tools

Traditions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
Everybody has their own hunting traditions and routines when a animal is shot.

we blood our first timers(locals) by rubbing blood from the animal on his face and we give him a piece of raw liver to eat.

some people give them the animals testicle to eat?

WHAT IS YOUR TRADITION WHEN HUNTING

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Don't want to disappoint anybody but I usually skin it, quarter it, haul it, cut it up and freeze it. But then again, I haven't been to Africa yet.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest/grossest stories I've ever heard about hunting traditions happened between a forum member who was also a cattle rancher and a Maasai tracker.

The client had just shot an impala and the tracker opened up the impala and cut off a slice of warm bloody liver, looked the client in the eye and said, 'this is what us Maasai do with a freshly killed animal' and he sucked the liver into his mouth and swallowed. Then he cut off another piece and offered it to the client with the words, 'now you' ...... who in turn, took it, and without batting an eyelid, ate it. - The Maasai looked impressed.

Then the client took out his own knife, and bent down and cut off the impala's nuts, and told the Maasai, 'now I'll show you how us cowboys do it' ....... then he popped one nut into mouth and ate it......... and then offered the other nut to the Maasai with the words, 'now you' - The Maasai took two steps backwards, turned to the PH and told him, 'now that's one crazy white man!'

rotflmo jumping rotflmo

Damn, I almost puked when I heard the story. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've eaten prairie oysters too, but never raw. Breaded and fried they are pretty good.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
While I do believe that "each to his own" on such matters I personally agree with the following words of Pierre Van Der Walt on this topic:

‘Tradition is the transfer of spiritual property from one generation to the next. When any act is committed which debases the hunter, the prey or the moment of the hunt, that noble moment of re-enactment of true man’s most crucial basic responsibility, the conquest of prey for survival and the passing-on of that responsibility to a new generation, is turned into a sickening farce. I cannot believe that some brainless, backward intruders into hunting had come up with the swallowing of animal testicles and the biting of scrotums as symbolic of something of such spiritual magnitude. That has never been a tradition amongst hunters with integrity. It constitutes a betrayal of our identity and a betrayal of our traditions by fools who have lost their most basic sense of dignity, and who wish to impart their inherent vulgarity onto others under the guise and cloak of tradition. In most instances it is the father or close relative who guides the young hunter to his or her first animal. The first time a youngster achieves this level of harmony and discipline, and succeeds in killing an animal, it is a momentous occasion for him or her and their mentor; it is a social watershed and a spiritual leap bringing that young person face to face with the utmost level of responsibility. It is a sacred moment, the intensity of which is indescribable. It is a holy moment born from tradition and in honour of God who so structured nature, treasurable for infinity unless debased by vulgar fools.’

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
While I do believe that "each to his own" on such matters I personally agree with the following words of Pierre Van Der Walt on this topic:

‘Tradition is the transfer of spiritual property from one generation to the next. When any act is committed which debases the hunter, the prey or the moment of the hunt, that noble moment of re-enactment of true man’s most crucial basic responsibility, the conquest of prey for survival and the passing-on of that responsibility to a new generation, is turned into a sickening farce. I cannot believe that some brainless, backward intruders into hunting had come up with the swallowing of animal testicles and the biting of scrotums as symbolic of something of such spiritual magnitude. That has never been a tradition amongst hunters with integrity. It constitutes a betrayal of our identity and a betrayal of our traditions by fools who have lost their most basic sense of dignity, and who wish to impart their inherent vulgarity onto others under the guise and cloak of tradition. In most instances it is the father or close relative who guides the young hunter to his or her first animal. The first time a youngster achieves this level of harmony and discipline, and succeeds in killing an animal, it is a momentous occasion for him or her and their mentor; it is a social watershed and a spiritual leap bringing that young person face to face with the utmost level of responsibility. It is a sacred moment, the intensity of which is indescribable. It is a holy moment born from tradition and in honour of God who so structured nature, treasurable for infinity unless debased by vulgar fools.’

I'll second that.

Blooding. What a bunch of nonsense.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to toast the animial with a dram of good Whisky. thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with Pierre 100%

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I usually just shoot them, then load them up in the bakki. Have some of the meat for supper! Big Grin

There is one thing I've never been able to find the reason for, and I've asked it here before! I shot a Cape Buffalo,in the Luangwa Valley, and simce we already had two animals in the Bakki, we had to cut the buffalo in two halves. Of course the Tripe was salvaged, and the large stomach was opened and the fodder removed. The small stomach was left full of the green contents. I woundered why they saved the contents of the small stomach, and that night, we had steaks from the buffalo. The tea boy brought a sause to the table that looked exactly like to contents of that small stomach. This could have been coincidence, but I didn't partake of the green sause, anyway. This is the only time I've seen the stomach contents not dumped, any place in Africa! Does anyone here know why the contents of that small stomach was retained?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have on my wall in my home a photogragh of my son , taken many years ago , standing over his first deer. He is properly bloodied and his smile is so big and bright that he looks like his face is going to burst. The sense of pride and accomplishment is so obvious from the photo.

He had heard the story of how I had been blooded as a youngster. But he was so excited with his success , when I was gutting the animal and asked him to look closely at the bullet lodged in the ribs, he never suspected his time had come.

Afterwards he wore the blood like a badge of honour. Knowing our family and local tradition as he did, I would have cheated him and myself if I had denied him this moment.

Last year he met "THE GIRL". Late in the deer season after several unsuccessful hunts , she finally got her first deer. I was hunting elsewhere when I got a text message telling me about the joyous event.The photo that accompanied the text showed her smiling and bloody face and the deer she had taken. A few minutes later came a second text, "Dad, I just got engaged!"

A month later I made a copy of the photo of Kristen's picture and my son's photo and found a suitable frame. I presented it to them as a gift. Todd and Kristen's first deer.

Other's here have dismissed the idea and that is certainly OK. I am gratefull, and proud, and warmed inside when I see any of these photos because they all represent a great time and experience that can never be precisely duplicated.There will be other firsts in life, but not these.Thank goodness we have preserved these memories forever.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We frequently say a prayer of thanks for the Lord for allowing us this great privilege to hunt and be together.

We did the "blood on the face" thing in RSA and found it a bit fun, but did it at the dinner that night. Nothing was done in a derogotory manner or in anyway to disrepect the animal or the hunter. We celebrated and have a great memory.

I am not into the eating raw meat or testicles - seems a bit gross to me. However, I do not drink blood from cows like the Masai do and they seem to do fine by it.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Blooding after the taking of your first stag is a Scottish traditon that goes way back. I'm sure the traditon was subsequently adopted elsewhere, although I've no idea where it originated from.

Anyone that tried to feed me raw offal would be told where to put it, although the prairie oysters fried in garlic butter are not such a bad snack!!

The most universal of gestures has to be the one that involves a hip flask and something a little warming... Wink

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm more of the 'Die Ou Jagter' type. I can't even eat sushi. Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the traditions that honor the animal. As an example, the European hunters that put the green leaves in the animal's mouth after a succesful hunt.

When my husband came back from his successful Brown Bear hunt on the Alaskan Penninsula in 1990, he said his guide cut a piece of the skin from under the bear's tongue and buried the piece. My husband was told that the spirit of the bear would wander the earth forever unless this was done.

Our PH Terry Fenn would always whisper "thank you old boy" and pat the animal after a successful hunt.

I think any tradition that honors the animal is something that should be taught to young (and old) hunters.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9499 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I thank my Lord for the animals life and my ability to hunt, then I thank the animal just as Kathi said, with a "Thank you old boy."

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
I'm more of the 'Die Ou Jagter' type. I can't even eat sushi. Wink

jumping jumping jumping

In Texas sushi is what we call fish bait! It ain't for eating, but to catch fish to cook and eat! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm with Pierre and Kathi. Hunting for me is not a sporting contest or some kind of quasi- or imagined rite of passage. It is more personal than that.

I feel respect for, and a connection with, the big game animals I hunt, and that of course includes those I kill.

I would never do anything, or permit anything to be done, that would conflict with or cheapen that feeling and connection.

Even though I celebrate a successful hunt, I am saddened by the death of my quarry and grateful as well. I think most hunters worth their salt feel that way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten raw liver, its tasteless..I like Mountain Oysters cooked but ate one raw at a branding one time, it also was pretty tasteless.

I accept the death of an animal without much to do these days, probably because it has been a part of my life for so long. The one exception is elephant, that always bothers me for a moment or two, but passes..

I do have respect for the game I hunt, and owe them as quick and painless death as possibe to the best of my ability. I do this by careful shot placement, not taking long shots and/or shots that I don't think I can make.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
My family tradition?

If you kill, you gotta eat it! Predators are exempt.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
One part that seems to get lost in the idea of eating a certains parts of the game (heart, liver, testicles) drinking or wearing its blood is that originally it was meant that you were taking part of that animals spirit with you. As such, it was actually meant to show respect for the animal. Unfortunately that part seems to be lost and most have come to view it like a fraternity hazing ritual. Frowner

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
With anything bigger than a rabbit, I was taught to unload my gun and start to make preparations to get the animal out of the woods. In Africa I genrally get my picture taken and get out of the peoples way who are loading the animal for transport. I attach no mystical/spiritual meaning to killing an animal. It is just that, I have killed an animal. I am neither proud,happy or sad. If the shot was good I am usually just satisfied.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kathi and co when it comes to respecting the death of the animal. I think that traditions are a good thing even if they are seen as silly or superstitious. I think the native American Indians used to respect and thank the animal for providing food for the family, etc, same for the San bushmen and found that to be quite respectful. I know that once an animal is dead it is just meat, but such traditions probably do make one feel a bit better and can imagine for people who hunt for survival, such a tradition and respect for an animal probably means a lot more than most people who say buy their meat from a supermarket. As for eating gonads, well I am not too sure about that one! With regards to blooding and eating raw liver on your first deer....maybe...just try not to think of the liver fluke or tapeworm, etc!

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
The only custom I've been taught is to congratulate the successful hunter, and then hold a leg while he guts his animal. After that, everyone makes a priority of getting the animal out of the field.

Personally, I don't eat knackers, raw or cooked, but I do have a good story about the practise. One fall, I was pheasant hunting in Kansas with a group of guys. My wife, the only woman, was along as an observer. A couple of the fellows thought it would be great fun to order up a platter of prairie oysters and watch her eat a few before telling her what they were. The platter was served and my wife helped herself to a few. Once she had them down, the instigator snickered, "you're eating testicles!" My wife looked around the table, cold as ice, and asked, "whose?"

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
one guy on his first hunt wanted to skip eating the testicle so he shot a female inpala the elders was smarter than him and made him play the mouth organ with the virgina

they believe that there is only one first animal and it should be celebrated and the hunter must be made part

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
There is a ritual of "breaking the branches" observed by my friends of German ancestry that they shared with me in my hunts with them in Namibia.

I had shot a wildebeest but it did not go down immediately and required some extensive tracking. At the spot where the gnu was hit the PH broke a branch of a bush. A few feet away, in the direction that the wounded animal fled, a tracker also broke a branch. Whenever blood would be found another branch would be broken to mark the trail. This is not only part of the ritual but also serves as landmarks should the spoor be lost.

After we had found the animal another branch was broken, dipped in the wildebeest's blood, and presented to me to congratulate me for my hunting success. Another branch was broken and placed in the mouth of the gnu to honor the animal by giving it its last meal.

Each break is deliberate and has a specific German name for it such as the Schutzenbruch (the shooter's break) and der letzte Biss (the last bite) and not just random breaks.

At the braai, in the evening, everyone celebrated my hunting success by drinking a shot of schnappes in a toast to me. When my 11 year old son had taken his Springbok he also was given a shot of schnappes and congratulated.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The late Hennie Theron taught this young friend of my family to shoot and stalk. He had just taken his first gemsbok and, from the look on his face understood the tradition. We loaded the beast into the URI, back to the main house and the lad got a lesson on skinning.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
The only custom I've been taught is to congratulate the successful hunter, and then hold a leg while he guts his animal. After that, everyone makes a priority of getting the animal out of the field.

Personally, I don't eat knackers, raw or cooked, but I do have a good story about the practise. One fall, I was pheasant hunting in Kansas with a group of guys. My wife, the only woman, was along as an observer. A couple of the fellows thought it would be great fun to order up a platter of prairie oysters and watch her eat a few before telling her what they were. The platter was served and my wife helped herself to a few. Once she had them down, the instigator snickered, "you're eating testicles!" My wife looked around the table, cold as ice, and asked, "whose?"

BRILLIANT. jumping

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote