Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Elepehant Shooting
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
With a 375 too!

We saw these bulls just before lunch cooling themselves under some trees inside the park.

We left them, and came back in the afternoon to see where they would head to feed.

Late in the afternoon, they got into our concession, and it was getting close to sun down. This was the biggest of the lot, and it was quite a job keeping up with him and staying away from the attention of the rest of them.

Then we got a chance for a shot at 55 yards.
And he did not even know we were there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT!!! was a proper shot ...!!! thumb

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shot Saeed. Nice job and a great video as well. Just curios did the bullet exit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ha good shot, i did however have a good laugh at the wag-tailed-hunter... lol nice once Saeed

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shot, Saeed..

I'm sure you would have liked to have gotten in a bit closer, but hey, take 'em how you can get 'em!! Great bull with a great shot!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What can I say? Echoing everyone else... Excellent shot. Great video, also.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First class shot,but 55yds is not my idea of elephant hunting-to each his own.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
ha good shot, i did however have a good laugh at the wag-tailed-hunter... lol nice once Saeed

That shooting stick has been the source of so much aggrevation, I did not want to leave it behind.

One time we put the truck under a tree, and got ready to follow some buffalo that have gone up the hills.

As everyone was trying to get some liquid refreshment - it was Octobe in Chete, and bloody hot - one of our trakers, whose name was Million - got the shooting stick out of the truck, and was going to carry it. He then remembered that he had forgotten something, so put the stick down.

Seeing that stick leaning against a tree, and knowing how much value Roy has for it, was an open invitation for something to be done.

So I could not resist the temptation of carrying it and putting up a thorn tree about a 100 yards from thetruck.

Everyone was ready eventually, and we started walking up the hills. A few hundred yards I stopped and asked Roy about the shooting stick.

Roy asked his trackers, and they just looked at easch othe. Then all hell broke loose, Roy shouting at them and telling how bloody uselss they are.

One went back to the truck to look for it.

Of course, it wasn't there! More shouting and screaming followed. Then it got close to the stage where one or both of the trackers might got shot! So I pointed to them that any branch from THAT thorn bush might be used as substitute!

They found it, and no one believed me when I suggested that the stick might have gotten up the tree for a rest!

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

That shooting stick has been the source of so much aggrevation, I did not want to leave it behind.

One time we put the truck under a tree, and got ready to follow some buffalo that have gone up the hills.

As everyone was trying to get some liquid refreshment - it was Octobe in Chete, and bloody hot - one of our trakers, whose name was Million - got the shooting stick out of the truck, and was going to carry it. He then remembered that he had forgotten something, so put the stick down.

Seeing that stick leaning against a tree, and knowing how much value Roy has for it, was an open invitation for something to be done.

So I could not resist the temptation of carrying it and putting up a thorn tree about a 100 yards from thetruck.

Everyone was ready eventually, and we started walking up the hills. A few hundred yards I stopped and asked Roy about the shooting stick.

Roy asked his trackers, and they just looked at easch othe. Then all hell broke loose, Roy shouting at them and telling how bloody uselss they are.

Of course, it wasn't there! More shouting and screaming followed. Then it got close to the stage where one or both of the trackers might got shot! So I pointed to them that any branch from THAT thorn bush might be used as substitute!

They found it, and no one believed me when I suggested that the stick might have gotten up the tree for a rest!

Saeed, this emoticon stir was created particularly for you!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

rotflmo nice one poor tracker nearly got it shoved up his moon

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the very end of the video it looks like there is a forehead wound. Did the coup de grace get edited out?

Saeed, do you EVER miss DG shots? And I'm not talking about twigs sending your Walterhog bullets off into the wild blue wonder. I mean flat out miss?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
That's about as quick as it can be done! Good job Saeed. Thanks for the video.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
So when did the two of you have this merry adventure? Was it recent? From what I've heard, the old gray man you were hunting with has been pretending to be a gopher lately, digging up his yard. I didn't know he was back in Africa.

"...and telling how bloody useless they are." That is a classic Roy-ism!

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAelknuts:
So when did the two of you have this merry adventure? Was it recent? From what I've heard, the old gray man you were hunting with has been pretending to be a gopher lately, digging up his yard. I didn't know he was back in Africa.

"...and telling how bloody useless they are." That is a classic Roy-ism!

This particular hunt was in 2001 in Matetsi.

I spoke to him a few days ago, and you are right, he is working hard pretending to be a gopher, without muc success I might add clap

He said e cannot wait to get back to Tanzania in about 70 0dd days.

It is going to be our 27th year of hunting together, and he still does not trust either me or Walter!

Very sad state to be with your old PH really.

Yes, I did add a final shot to the forhead of the elephant, just my usual practice.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

It is unfortunate that you do not have enough DG hunting experience to know that you are not supposed to shoot an Elephant that far away.

Maybe someday you will gain the proper experience and knowledge. This only comes from having spent many days in the bush hunting and shooting dangerous game.

Best of luck with getting some experience under your belt.

Big Grin

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
A good shot is a good shot at any distance..Very well done. Always enjoy the good video as well.
Cheers

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 15 July 2009 21:32 Hide Post
Saeed,

It is unfortunate that you do not have enough DG hunting experience to know that you are not supposed to shoot an Elephant that far away.

Maybe someday you will gain the proper experience and knowledge. This only comes from having spent many days in the bush hunting and shooting dangerous game.

Yes - perhaps if you get on the internet and to this website called accurate reloading, all sorts of experts there will correct all your faults jumping

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a two fold reaction. A VERY GOOD shot, and a VERY GOOD video. The shot speaks for itself. The video is pleasant and exciting to watch especially without all the commercial "Boddington on this, Shockley on that, Watts on this", and the toothy grins of myriad strap-hangers.

Videos such as this are the best. Two experienced DG hunters doing it the way it's supposed to be done.

Thank you for sharing.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:
First class shot,but 55yds is not my idea of elephant hunting-to each his own.

Nice shot, must have been very satisfying. Very nice elephant. Nothing wrong with a 55yd shot if you're canted more toward the ivory than the excitement. All the more so for the more experienced hunter who has some closer elephant hunt experience. But for the first timer, especially the fellow after his one and only elephant, he deprives himself of much of the thrill and the fun, imo.

I have to say, regardless of one's desire for really close experience or not, I don't understand why the PH and Saeed didn't approach closer while the elephant was turned away. The other elephants? Crackling ground cover? Wind? More interested in the ivory? Fear of spooking the ele? Perhaps Saeed will inform.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
At the very end of the video it looks like there is a forehead wound. Did the coup de grace get edited out?

Saeed, do you EVER miss DG shots? And I'm not talking about twigs sending your Walterhog bullets off into the wild blue wonder. I mean flat out miss?

I missed a hippo at 50 yards once! clap
One time I yanked the trigger so hard, while the safety was on, and the cow buffalo we wanted was feeding towards us and got so close I could have touched it with the extended barrel! I almost fell off the shooting stick. The buffalo got such a scare it ran off for a 100 yards!

After I managed to stop laughing at myself I did manage to shoot it.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! Good luck on this years safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You posted this video a long time ago. Can we say "recycle?"

Obviously it is trick photography with this old, gray haired man, named Roy something, doing the shooting (off camera!).

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is: was it a walterhog bullet?

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Long Range Elepehant Shooting
When I read this, I thought, oh boy here we go, Saeed popped an ele at 200 yards, and he's got video to prove it! Big Grin

But 55-yards, if Saeed you of all people are considering this to be a long range shot, I think we can all live with this! Short/close = 5-yards; medium distance = 30; long range = 55. Hey that works!

At 5-yards I'd no more want a heavily-scoped .375 on shooting sticks then I would want an open-sited rifle w/o sling at 55. Well, let me think about that one some more... Big Grin

That was a great shot!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One time I yanked the trigger so hard, while the safety was on, and the cow buffalo we wanted was feeding towards us and got so close I could have touched it with the extended barrel! I almost fell off the shooting stick. The buffalo got such a scare it ran off for a 100 yards!

Will we get to see those videos? Or are you waiting to fill the blooper reel? Smiler

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was excellent Saeed. And for you Mr. TWL...a portion of your comment was really unnecessary. What's the point of saying this...
"without all the commercial "Boddington on this, Shockley on that, Watts on this",? Your post was fine without having to drag the three of us into it. It's unnecessary nastiness. Just let Saeed's perfect shot stand on it's own merit.

Commercial sponsorship is an element of what we do, but atleast if you're going to take a shot at us please have the decency to spell our names right. It's not Shockley.

If you're opposed to the commercial nature of what we do, here are some options; pick up the remote and switch the channel, press the eject button or better yet, don't buy our products. That usually works better than coming onto the forum and complaining.

Have a nice day sir.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sable Trail,

Which of the three are you?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Sable Trail,

Which of the three are you?

465H&H

Marc Watts.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Will we get to see those videos? Or are you waiting to fill the blooper reel? Smiler

Sorry, it was before video was introduced into hunting clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry, it was before video was introduced into hunting clap

Bill,

I just wanted to remind you old guys living in the stone age pretending to be second cousins to Fred Flintstone, then use a rifle with two barrels, and pretend to get close to your elephants, that us young hunters can do do it just as well with a measley 375 from good safe distance clap

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well said, sir. and i don't consider 55 yds as a long shot for a good marksman on something the size of an elephant

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Saeed,

Big Grin

Yeah, and that guy he hunts with too! Big Grin

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
great video, and saeed youc are a marksman. but i would have rushed the elephants,and tried a snap shot from closer. would have been hard to do with a scoped rifle with a 26 inch barrel, though.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
well said, sir. and i don't consider 55 yds as a long shot for a good marksman on something the size of an elephant

It is a common mistake to believe that braining an elephant - at any range - is an easy shot at a large target.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I came that close, last year, to shooting an elephant at 50 yards, through the heart, in poor light.

The shot did not feel right to me, so I didn't take it.

If it had felt right, I would have taken it.

Great shot, Saeed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider hitting a bread loaf sized target off of shooting sticks with a scoped sighted rifle at 55 yards long range shooting. But finding the true course to the brain that is hidden in such a large head is the real trick. Saeed accomplished that so it is a great shot but certainly not a long range shot. As JPK said finding the brain is much more difficult than many realise. I've missed it at less than 10 yards.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long range shooting is hitting praire dogs at 400+ yards. An elephant at 55 yards and loaf of bread size target with a very experience shooter is a "gimme". I would bet on Saeed every time.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There are brain shots and then there are brain shots. Different angles can make the shot much more "interesting"!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote